Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Gina Carano vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos Strikeforce 8/15/9

hopefully, people will now appreciate the level of athleticism that Santos brings to the arena, and stop getting hung up on that she's not a cover girl by fly-over country standards...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    hopefully, people will now appreciate the level of athleticism that Santos brings to the arena, and stop getting hung up on that she's not a cover girl by fly-over country standards...
    Crazy talk !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Crazy talk !
    daayuumm!!!

thats hot!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Crazy talk !
    I'll give you crazy talk.. I'm somewhat turned on by Cyborg.. When she destroyed that pretty, pris, cheerleader playmate.. I was so happy. It was like I was back in high school again, and all the females that rejected me were being pummelled.. LOL wow I guess I have deep-seated resentment for some people... The thought of Cyborg naked does scare me.. a little.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    I'll give you crazy talk.. I'm somewhat turned on by Cyborg.. When she destroyed that pretty, pris, cheerleader playmate.. I was so happy. It was like I was back in high school again, and all the females that rejected me were being pummelled.. LOL wow I guess I have deep-seated resentment for some people... The thought of Cyborg naked does scare me.. a little.
    all this is because you are just a Glorified Kickboxer !!!

(btw, is it me, or do we all miss HW108 just a little bit?)

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Don't worry, deep down, in the places people don't talk about at parties, Cyborg turns us all on and makes us all wanna say, "mommy".

cyborg looks like the geico caveman

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    cyborg looks like the geico caveman
    on steroids...

i'd tap it
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by enoajnin View Post
    These are some photos I shot for the weigh in on Friday. I shot some of the boys, too. But who cares about those?
    Wow, Carano looks too cute and innocent to be fighting; she difinitely doesnt seem into it here, almost a forshadowing of the fight itself. Shes definitely the girl next door.

Nice pics...

BS ran a debate series on this

Do women belong fighting in mixed martial arts?
    August 20, 2009

It's too legit to quit
    Lance Pugmire

Los Angeles Times

It's a good thing. The attention Gina Carano brought to women's mixed martial arts by posing for a Maxim photo spread - and, believe me, it was an eye-grabber - was trumped by Carano's getting her face repeatedly bashed Saturday night by Cris "Cyborg" Santos.

Before the brutal end, Carano and Santos engaged in 4 minutes 59 seconds of compelling action, a rugged battle that gave women's MMA the jolt of credibility it needs among a fan base that often takes its cue from Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The UFC, White has said, has no plans to add a women's "novelty" bout to its cards, but Santos' main-event TKO of Carano made "Why not?" a legitimate question for MMA's leader. The pressure now falls on other women fighters to match the commitment of "Cyborg" and Carano.

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

Get real: It's the real deal
    Sharon Robb

Sun Sentinel

Are we still in the Dark Ages?

Of course women belong in mixed martial arts. Women have every right to be in the cage, contrary to the belief of the majority of mainstream sports editors who still are reluctant to recognize mixed martial arts as a real sport with real athletes.

Female mixed martial artists are talented and schooled in every phase of the sport, from Brazilian jiujitsu to wrestling. They train with male counterparts who have the utmost respect for women.

The "safety factor" argument is getting old too. Referees have the athletes' well-being in mind at all times. If they see an athlete in trouble, the fight is stopped.

Wake up, people.

srobb@sunsentinel.com

Just stop the madness
    Bill Kline

The Morning Call

Chicks and kicks? Good grief. What's next, Little League MMA? Is Hasbro product-testing a "Maim Game" for children 8 and under?

If big government ever had reason to get involved in sports, this is it. It's time it outlawed mixed martial arts, and not just for women but for men, children and beyond.

And while the Obamas are at it, they also should ban boxing. In MMA and boxing, you see, the only intent is to injure the opponent.

How can our government permit people to beat up one another - sometimes to death?

MMA isn't sport, it's barbarism. If I want blood, I'll call Quentin Tarantino.

Do the right thing and end the fight thing. It's a no-brainer - which is what the fighters will have in about 20 years.

william.kline@mcall.com

They shouldn't toe line
    George Diaz

Orlando Sentinel

Another sign that the apocalypse is near: Females are going prime time in the mixed martial arts game.

Gina "Conviction" Carano fought Cris "Cyborg" Santos last weekend, marking the first women's title fight in the sport's 16-year history. Congrats to Cyborg on the big "W."

Equal opportunity is a great thing, and while it's true I've been titillated by an occasional cat fight hair-pull, I draw the line when it involves women trying to pummel each other in a blood bath staged inside a cage.

Just like women's boxing devolved into a nonexistent sport after a few blips on the screen, mixed martial arts for women is going nowhere. Same problem: Not enough talented competitors to sustain interest.

I think that's a good thing.

gdiaz@orlandosentinel.com
    Carano vs. Cyborg was no novelty card. That was 4:59 of some solid MMA action. Anyone who thinks Carano and Cyborg are novelties has another thing coming.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

bill kline is a putz

Bah. Women's boxing declined in part due to the lack of deep talent, and few numbers.

No fiscal backing is what killed it.

As far as banning MMA, boxing, et al. Will not happen. And those too absorbed in their moral rightness will ne'er admit it. That's too bloody a fight to back out of.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Now Mr. Cyborg is injured

There's a lot of places I could go with this, but out for respect for the Cyborgs, I'm just going to post this press release from Strikeforce and let you all run with it.

Undefeated Zak Cummings Replaces Injured Evangelista Cyborg In
    STRIKEFORCE Challengers Main Event Fight With Tim Kennedy In

Tulsa, OK On Friday, September 25
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

NEW YORK (August 20, 2009)-Undefeated rising mixed martial arts (MMA) star Zak Cummings (10-0) will replace an injured Evangelista Cyborg in the STRIKEFORCE Challengers main event matchup with American military hero Tim Kennedy (10-2) at Tulsa, Oklahoma's SpiritBank Event Center on Friday, September 25.

"Tim Kennedy sounds like a pretty tough guy and that's the way I like to fight so it should be a great fight," said the 25-year-old Cummings, a two-time national junior collegiate qualifier in wrestling for St. Louis Community College - Meramec.

A knee injury forced Cummings to withdraw before the start of the 2006 national tournament and, later, convinced him to return home to Springfield, Missouri where he discovered MMA. He has since regained his health and become well-skilled in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and kickboxing.

Despite his newfound versatility, Cummings credits his untainted success first and foremost to his consistent composure in the cage.

"Some guys get very emotional and some guys want to go out there and hurt people. I'm one of those guys that looks at MMA as a sport and a chess match, just like I look at wrestling," he explained. "In all my wrestling experiences, I stayed calm throughout any situation that happened. I didn't get frustrated and I think that's carried over into my experience in this sport. I keep my cool really well and it's paid off."

The 29-year-old Kennedy's return to action will be his first since he dominated Nick "The Goat" Thompson, stopping Thompson on the ground with an onslaught of punches in the second round (2:37) of their STRIKEFORCE Challengers meeting at ShoWare Center in Kent, Washington.

After spending six years in The United States Army, the last three as a sniper in the Seventh Special Forces Group, Kennedy, a native of San Luis Obispo, California, recently accepted an offer to serve in the Texas National Guard. The career change will allow him the flexibility he needs to pursue his MMA career at a world-class level.

"I don't think anybody can really plan to see what I'm coming in to do this time," said Kennedy. "I'm working with the best boxing coaches and training with Mark DeLaGrotte, one of the best MMA striking coaches in the world, so I think that people are going to see a new Tim that they've never seen before."

A graduate of Columbia College in Missouri, Kennedy launched his professional MMA career shortly before enlisting in the military near the end of 2001.

"After 9/11 happened, I wanted to do something for my country," he explained. "The military is my life. I am going to serve as long as they'll let me. I'd love to retire in uniform."

A knee injury Cyborg sustained during a training session last week forced the Brazilian fighter to pull out of the bout with Kennedy.

Tickets for the event, priced from $25, are on sale at the SpiritBank Event Center box office, all Ticketmaster locations (800-745-3000), Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com), and STRIKEFORCE's official website (www.strikeforce.com).

SpiritBank Event Center doors will open at 7:15 p.m. CT for the STRIKEFORCE Challengers event and the first preliminary bout will begin at 8:00 p.m.

The live SHOWTIME telecast, which will include up to five bouts, will begin at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast).

World championship MMA promotion STRIKEFORCE will produce the event at SpiritBank Event Center along with eXtreme Fighting promoter and five-time world kickboxing champion Dale "Apollo" Cook.

STRIKEFORCE Challengers is a proving ground for up-and-coming MMA fighters. The series is designed to provide today's top prospects with the opportunity to step-up their level of competition and demonstrate their ability in a nationally televised event.

# # #

About Strikeforce
    Strikeforce is a world-class mixed martial arts cage fight promotion which, on Friday, March 10, 2006, made history with its "Shamrock vs. Gracie" event, the first sanctioned mixed martial arts fight card in California state history. The star-studded extravaganza, which pitted legendary champion Frank Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Cesar Gracie at San Jose's HP Pavilion, played host to a sold-out, record crowd of 18,265. Since 1995, Strikeforce has been the exclusive provider of martial arts programming for ESPN and, after 12 years of success as a leading, world championship kickboxing promotion, the company unveiled its mixed martial arts series with "Shamrock vs. Gracie." In May 2008, West Coast Productions, the parent company of Strikeforce, partnered with Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment (SVS&E), an entity created in 2000 to oversee all business operation aspects of the San Jose Sharks and HP Pavilion at San Jose.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

From my FB:
    Gina Carano releases a statement following loss to Cris “Cyborg” Santos (MMABay.co.uk)
    Today at 12:45pm
    The world was stunned to see just how ferociously and dominantly Cris Santos beat Gina “Conviction” Carano recently. Staying relatively quiet following the fight, Carano has now came out and released a statement regarding the loss.

The statement in full is as follows.

“I wanted to take time to collect my thoughts and speak from the heart rather than spew out some cliché anecdote about a tough loss. I know I am a better fighter than the way I performed that night and was heartbroken to not give more to those who have been inspired. However, I find some relief in knowing that this has never been only about me, and now more than ever I feel freedom to learn and grow at my own pace.

I make it a point to constantly remind myself throughout this journey who I am, what I am doing, and why. Life is the most amazing gift and I want to live it for the right reasons. To my family, coaches, management... thank you from the bottom of my heart for believing in me, loving and encouraging me.

Also a special thanks to the fans who support me from their computers at home, watch me on television and scream for me in the stadiums. Because of you, barriers have been broken down and you have inspired me to believe in a larger dream. Congratulations to Cris Cyborg and the women of MMA who have a great platform to shine. I am more excited than ever for female fighters and this amazing sport which has transformed my life. God Bless.”

Gina Carano is still one of the world’s greatest female MMA fighters, and will undoubtedly come back better than ever, I’m sure training out of Xtreme Couture that her team mates will make sure of that.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels