Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gina Carano vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos Strikeforce 8/15/9

Gina Carano vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos Strikeforce 8/15/9

We were anticipating this when Carano was ringside at Cyborg's last fight. I got to find an excuse to get into this one. Hopefully Cung will field a fighter on the undercard somewhere...
    California trumps Las Vegas for MMA news
    WEC 41 sets attendance, gate records; Carano to face ‘Cyborg’ in August
    By Andy Samuelson
    Mon, Jun 8, 2009 (3:30 p.m.)
    Associated Press

Neighboring California became the hot spot for major mixed martial arts news over the weekend.

World Extreme Cagefighting enjoyed its most prosperous night in the promotion’s eight-year history Sunday in Sacramento. The sister organization to the UFC set attendance and live gate records as 12,706 fans showed up to watch WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown defend his title against hometown hero Urijah Faber.

The California State Athletic Commission confirmed to MMAjunkie.com that the attendance figure from WEC 41, which was unofficially announced at 13,027 Sunday at ARCO Arena, did in fact break the WEC record of 12,682 from WEC 34 — which was held in the same building.

The live gate amount of $815,415 from Sunday’s Faber fight topped the $738,855 mark from Faber’s fight against Jens Pulver in June 2008 inside ARCO.

For fans who missed the fight Sunday, VERSUS (Cox Cable Ch. 67) will re-air the featherweight bout Wednesday at 6 p.m. and again at 9 p.m.

The WEC’s next event — WEC 42 on Aug. 9 at the newly remodeled Joint at the Hard Rock, which will feature bantamweight champ Miguel Torres against top challenger Brian Bowles — marks the Las Vegas-based promotion’s return to the city for the first time since Torres defeated Manny Tapia in December.

The WEC’s success might not have even been the biggest headline to come out of California this weekend.

Scott Coker, CEO of the San Jose, Calif.-based Strikeforce promotion, announced at his organization’s show in St. Louis that top female fighters Gina Carano and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos will face each other Aug. 15.

“That’s going to be the No. 1 and the No. 2 females fighting in the world,” Coker said of the long-rumored 145-pound main event. “It will be our first Strikeforce female title belt. We’re going to be proud to put that on.”

The show at the HP Pavilion will also feature a lightweight title unification bout between champs Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez, and a heavyweight title tilt with Alistair Overeem against a yet-to-be-named opponent, likely Brett Rogers.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Here's the official Strikeforce press release

GINA CARANO IS BACK!

LONG AWAITED STRIKEFORCE CHAMPIONSHIP SHOWDOWN
    WITH CRIS “CYBORG” MARKS BIGGEST WOMEN’S FIGHT IN HISTORY

Saturday, August 15, Live on SHOWTIME at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT
    From HP Pavilion, San Jose, Calif.;
    Tickets Go On Sale Monday

NEW YORK (June 9, 2009)–-After an eight month hiatus, mixed martial arts’ (MMA) leading lady, the undefeated and extremely popular Gina “Conviction” Carano (7-0) will compete in the first fight of her multi-fight agreement with STRIKEFORCE and is set to square off with rival powerhouse Cris “Cyborg” (7-1) in what is one of the most eagerly anticipated battles of all time, Saturday, August 15, live on SHOWTIME® at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Carano and Cyborg, the consensus two best female fighters in the world, will be the first women in MMA history to headline a major MMA fight card. In addition, they will fight for the first STRIKEFORCE 145-pound Female Championship.

“I’m really excited to be coming back and to have a new home with Strikeforce,” said the 27-year-old Carano, whose combination of stunning looks and athleticism have cemented her role as the face of women’s MMA. In a Yahoo! online poll that named the “Top 10 Influential Women of 2008,” Carano ranked fifth, placing ahead of First Lady Michelle Obama and famed journalists Katie Couric and Barbara Walters.

“I’ve wanted this fight with Cyborg for a long time and so have the fans so it was important to me that it happen in my first fight back. I’ve been training hard the last few months and come August 15, I will be in the best shape of my life. This fight will absolutely deliver on all the hype.”

The live SHOWTIME telecast of STRIKEFORCE: “Carano vs. Cyborg” will begin at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT (tape delayed on the west coast) and will include up to five bouts.

Tickets for STRIKEFORCE: “Carano vs. Cyborg,” priced from $30, go on sale Monday at 10 a.m. PT at the HP Pavilion box office (408-287-7070) as well as at all Ticketmaster locations (800-745-3000), Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com), and the official STRIKEFORCE website (www.strikeforce.com).

Carano has soared to superstardom over the last two years while dominating opponents live on CBS and SHOWTIME. She raised her profile further during a stint as “Crush” on NBC’s athletic competition series American Gladiators. Carano is represented by Wasserman Media Group.

The matchup with Cyborg will be the second start of Carano’s career under the STRIKEFORCE banner. On December 8, 2006, she turned the tides on a determined Elaina Maxwell, a protégé of Cung Le, and pulled out a unanimous judges’ decision at STRIKEFORCE: “Triple Threat.”

The media has emphatically shown its appreciation for Carano’s individuality. She has been prominently featured in a number of national magazines including Muscle And Fitness and Maxim. Big Biz Magazine voted her “The Hottest Woman In America” in its Spring 2008 issue and Maxim ranked her number 16 in its Hot 100 list published in May 2009. Carano has also been profiled in the popular ESPN documentary series E:60.

The 23-year-old Cyborg, who hails from Brazil, has established herself as Carano’s top rival by leveraging her superior strength and striking skills to pummel opponents. In her last start, also her Strikeforce debut, Cyborg manhandled Hitomi Akano on April 11, stalking and battering the Japanese fighter before finishing Akano at the 35 second mark of the third round.

Cyborg is a member of Brazil’s famed Chute Boxe fight squad and trains alongside her husband and fellow Strikeforce competitor, Evangelista “Cyborg.”

After co-promoting two events live on SHOWTIME in 2007 and 2008, STRIKEFORCE in March 2009 signed a multi-year agreement to stage live MMA events on the premium cable television network.
    I'm still crushing on Carano. And after seeing Cyborg in action, I have tremendous respect for what she can do. This should be an awesome fight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cyborg will crush Carrano.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Cyborg will crush Carrano.
    The scale will defeat both of them.

Vegas should take bets on who will miss weight by the most.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

If Carano wins, she'll be the queen of MMA

I got my fingers crossed, but I've seen Cyborg in action live and she's a freakin' terror. That being said, I'm impressed that Strikeforce is going with a televised female main event. That's very cool. Have there been other televised female main events?

Thomson vs. Melendez should be good too. Maybe I can get in covering Thomson since he's training with Cung Le...

STRIKEFORCE: "CARANO VS. CYBORG",
    SATURDAY, AUG. 15, AT HP PAVILION IN SAN JOSE, CALIF.

Historic STRIKEFORCE Event Will Include the Eagerly Awaited Grudge Rematch

Between Lightweight Champ Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez and Much, Much More

SAN JOSE, Calif. (June 15, 2009) - Tickets for Strikeforce: "Carano vs. Cyborg," the mixed martial arts (MMA) mega fight card that will be highlighted by the long-awaited showdown between superstar Gina Carano and Brazilian brawler and powerhouse Cris Cyborg at HP Pavilion on Saturday, Aug. 15, are officially on sale.

Tickets start at $30 and are available at the HP Pavilion box office (408-287-7070), all Ticketmaster locations (800-745-3000), Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com <http://www.ticketmaster.com/> ), and the official STRIKEFORCE website (www.strikeforce.com <http://www.strikeforce.com/> ).

The undefeated Carano (7-0) and her top rival, Cyborg (7-1), are slated to battle five, 5-minute rounds in the first-ever fight for the STRIKEFORCE Women's 145-Pound World Title.

The most-desired matchup in the history of women's MMA is also one that is undeniably the most dangerous assignment to date for a pair regarded as the preeminent female fighters in the world.

Carano, who will be trained for this fight by MMA legend Randy "The Natural" Couture, has achieved larger than life status over the course of the last year. In a Yahoo! online poll that named the "Top 10 Influential Women of 2008," the 27 year-old Las Vegas resident ranked fifth, placing ahead of First Lady Michelle Obama and famed journalists Katie Couric and Barbara Walters. Carano has also been featured in the pages of Maxim and profiled by ESPN's newsmagazine show E:60.

Confident of ruining Carano's eagerly awaited return to the cage is the rugged 23-year-old Cyborg, who has been known to devastate foes with brute strength and has been calling out Carano for several months. Cyborg, along with her husband and fellow Strikeforce competitor Evangelista Cyborg, is a member of Brazil's famed fight squad, Chute Boxe.

In the Aug.15 semi-main, Josh "The Punk" Thomson (16-2), of San Jose, will put his STRIKEFORCE lightweight belt and eight fight winning streak on the line against current interim titleholder, Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez (15-2), of San Francisco,. Thomson won a decision to dethrone Melendez on June 27, 2008.

SHOWTIME will televise the two world title fights and up to three more bouts during a telecast that will begin at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast.

A formal announcement regarding the other SHOWTIME fights, the non-televised undercard bouts and additional live event information will be made soon.

About Strikeforce
    Strikeforce is a world-class mixed martial arts cage fight promotion which, on Friday, March 10, 2006, made history with its "Shamrock vs. Gracie" event, the first sanctioned mixed martial arts fight card in California state history. The star-studded extravaganza, which pitted legendary champion Frank Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Cesar Gracie at San Jose's HP Pavilion, played host to a sold-out, record crowd of 18,265. Since 1995, Strikeforce has been the exclusive provider of martial arts programming for ESPN and, after 12 years of success as a leading, world championship kickboxing promotion, the company unveiled its mixed martial arts series with "Shamrock vs. Gracie." In May 2008, West Coast Productions, the parent company of Strikeforce, partnered with Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment (SVS&E), an entity created in 2000 to oversee all business operation aspects of the San Jose Sharks and HP Pavilion at San Jose.

About Showtime Networks Inc.

Showtime Networks Inc. (SNI), a wholly owned subsidiary of CBS Corporation, owns and operates the premium television networks SHOWTIME®, THE MOVIE CHANNEL® and FLIX®, as well as the multiplex channels SHOWTIME 2(tm), SHOWTIME® SHOWCASE, SHOWTIME EXTREME®, SHOWTIME BEYOND®, SHOWTIME NEXT®, SHOWTIME WOMEN®, SHOWTIME FAMILY ZONE® and THE MOVIE CHANNEL(tm) XTRA. SNI also offers SHOWTIME HD®, THE MOVIE CHANNEL(tm) HD, SHOWTIME ON DEMAND® and THE MOVIE CHANNEL(tm) ON DEMAND. SNI also manages Smithsonian Networks, a joint venture between SNI and the Smithsonian Institution. All SNI feeds provide enhanced sound using Dolby Digital 5.1. SNI markets and distributes sports and entertainment events for exhibition to subscribers on a pay-per-view basis through SHOWTIME PPV®.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nah carrano by a long shot
    plus shes hot so how could you not pick her lol

I guess Gene will be buying one of these Gina Carrano Round 5 action figures:

http://i44.tinypic.com/27wuj44.jpg
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    nah carrano by a long shot
    plus shes hot so how could you not pick her lol
    Yea, I definitely agree! We need more eye candy in MMA fights.

Maybe cheerleaders or volleyball players should pick up MMA?
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

That is "Girl" Cheerleaders & "Girl" Volleyball players...
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...C-RSS&ATTR=UFC

i guess Cyborg was just training.hahaha
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

Wow

The Cyborg is a monster!
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Luckly the guy didn't lose bladder control !!

Kind of an unfair comparison, no?
    I mean, look at BJ and his awesome physique...
    Probably a few others I can mention, but deep down I just wanna go back to thinking about being triangled by Gina

Quote Originally Posted by Tensei85 View Post
    Yea, I definitely agree! We need more eye candy in MMA fights.
    We need some ring boys in speedos for this match! Any volunteers...SJR?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong