20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.00%
  • No

11 55.00%
  • Maybe So

6 30.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the MMA / BJJ Craze finally over?

Is the MMA / BJJ Craze finally over?

It seems that MMA's starting to feel like it's no longer mainstream and starting to get... well -- old. The brand seems to be in trouble- too many embarrassing fights, too many sham promoters, too many McMMA dojos - it's no longer new or exciting, and the crowd - well you all know the crowd. And long gone are the days of Rolls exclaiming that Royce is going to choke all of us out on the kfm forum.

Is it done and what's next? I say it's about time. MMA did change MA for the better. It reintroduced the ground game, fitness, and cross training. It reinvigorated the martial arts and challenged the a lot of preconceived notions. And it did help to weed out the BS.

In light of all this - how's KF going to make it's dramatic comeback as the king of all that is martial?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    *bunch a stuff*

In light of all this - how's KF going to make it's dramatic comeback as the king of all that is martial?
    stabbings and lot's of em.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    we gotta pay some great mma guy to fight wearing silk pajamas...

or do a movie about a badguy mma guy getting beaten by a good guy TCMA guy.
    -just don't get Ralph Machio
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    we gotta pay some great mma guy to fight wearing silk pajamas...
    That will work as long as it's not Kimbo...

Kimbo is up for the title role of the Crusher Lang Story, presently titled,"Crusher."
    Soon to be followed by "Crusher II,III,IV..."
    It follows his life as a bouncer, then boxer, then para-military crime fighter, then a cabbie, then a washed-up old fat bastid...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'm telling you guys, it'll be about stabbings. Lots of them.

Change will surely come after the stabbings.

remember, use only chinese weapons!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

the craze has died down, but the sport makes money so it wont die
    it will get bigger and bigger but it wotn have the same buzz

if it makes money it stays in this world!
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

that, and the fact that it scores as one of the highest percentages of injuries.
    But, also realize that your target market consists of 17-28 yr-old males, brimming with testosterone.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    This is an interesting topic, I was just talking about this with some friends who are in sport-combat disciplines (ie boxing, wrestling).

The craze and megalo-hype? Yes, that is leveling. But, MMA has firmly rooted its presence in the sports arena as an event that will stay forever, and will always be a proven draw.

But as an integration into martial arts schools? There's a chance that it could fade, because of the demographics it appeals to, as TenTigers pointed out.

Let's face it:
    Physical arts that have a hierarchical colored belt ranking system, that intentionally integrate lessons on character development and all that jazz are deemed more valuable to society, that people with disposable income could see their families getting involved with for the long term...

vs.

Physical arts that actually train you to be able to fight, which requires lots of full contact, and getting clocked.

This fact I doubt will ever change.

BUT, thanks the the MMA, there's a better checks and balance system for those enterprising ego-maniacal individuals making outrageous claims that they are untouchable as a way to sell their product/service. Put 'em in the octogon, and let 'em prove it. I think MMA has helped bring a LITTLE humility to insane TMAists. A little.

But I suppose there will always be those internet warriors who feel that their TMA is too deadly for the ring...
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

you guys think the sport that is second only to the NFL is "over"?

it is bigger than NASCAR
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Let's face it:
    Physical arts that have a hierarchical colored belt ranking system, that intentionally integrate lessons on character development and all that jazz are deemed more valuable to society, that people with disposable income could see their families getting involved with for the long term...
    vs.
    Physical arts that actually train you to be able to fight, which requires lots of full contact, and getting clocked.
    Good Point. But, (not to change the subject) I don't see any reason why you cannot have both? Difficult, but not impossible.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Good Point. But, (not to change the subject) I don't see any reason why you cannot have both? Difficult, but not impossible.
    Totally agree that you can (and should) have both. My feeling is that the initial point of entry might be more appealing with the emphasis on the first part?
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

It seems that MMA's starting to feel like it's no longer mainstream and starting to get... well -- old.

Seems like you want that to be the case.

No.

... is undoubtedly the answer. It's huge.

that, and the fact that it scores as one of the highest percentages of injuries...
    I think rugby's still the highest, which is still a popular sport worldwide with no signs of getting less so, and has an audience including a lot of young women too. And talking of women, thought not technically a sport, the activity in the sporting world that has the most injuries (and fatalities) outright is cheerleading. Also pretty popular!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you guys think the sport that is second only to the NFL is "over"?
    In your country, maybe. In the world the most popular spectator sport is cricket, hands down. Pretty much everyone in India guarantees that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Seems like you want that to be the case.
    Who cares?!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

It seems that MMA's starting to feel like it's no longer mainstream and starting to get... well -- old. The brand seems to be in trouble- too many embarrassing fights, too many sham promoters, too many McMMA dojos - it's no longer new or exciting, and the crowd - well you all know the crowd. And long gone are the days of Rolls exclaiming that Royce is going to choke all of us out on the kfm forum.

Is it done and what's next? I say it's about time. MMA did change MA for the better. It reintroduced the ground game, fitness, and cross training. It reinvigorated the martial arts and challenged the a lot of preconceived notions. And it did help to weed out the BS.

for the masses all the mma craze did which is great was bring realistic self defense training to the ymca...it's gonna go back to a mix of 80's cardio with TKD splits kicking van damme style...chicks ain't big on mma so fat kids ain't gonna be doing elbow defense drills to lose their gut.

the next big thing is olympic online streetfighting with NATAL controllerless technology...look it up

Quote Originally Posted by Saren
    It's safe to assume we all prefer a standard controller, thought I'd get that out before anything, I know there are many antagonistic poster on y2. Onto the specs.

- Detects Facial recognition and Emotion
    - Detects Voice recognition
    - Detects 3D space (unlike the wiimote)
    - Able to detect 4 players individually for local multiplayer
    - No killer app announced yet (I suspect RARE is working on this)
    - Detects objects and can paste them on screen
    - Compatible with all 360's (guess it doesn't need to install anything [arcade units], considering Windows Speech recognition server is 1.7gigs)
    - Is streamlined onto the 360 dashboard (safe to assume you can use it system wide)

Here is a video clip of it from last year, before Microsoft picked up the technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/k_V2AFaerKo.swf

This is a promotional video clip, displays most of the technologies features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/oACt9R9z37U.swf

Project Miro, something P.M worked on for the past few months. This clip shows what a real developer can do with some effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/M9nuwsQ5nF4.swf

Paint application tech demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ie02k3eAvxY.swf

Some select few journalists were invited to actually try the technology, IGN was the first up.

The camera is not just about 1:1 motion control, we were shown just that one possibility of this tech - check out what the camera picks up in 3D using it's scanner, in real time.

---

What do you guys think? As mentioned before I still prefer a standard controller for the standard games but I'm excited for this. From what I've seen & read, I'm convinced this works as unveiled at e3. It's true motion technology without the need of a waggle stick - though Microsoft can easily introduce one. I like how the camera fluidly & accurately picks up body movement. Fingers, hands, legs, head, color, distance, shapes, objects, gestures and emotions - it looks like it picks it all up. Rare was absent from this e3, I'm 100% they're the studio that's working on the killer app that will launch with this camera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/AscJO0uUQ_Q.swf

Boxer Sugar Ray Leonard with Project Natal

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/i-443dE5-gk.swf