20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.00%
  • No

11 55.00%
  • Maybe So

6 30.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the MMA / BJJ Craze finally over?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    The actual training is probably starting to fade among the people who participate for other than professional reasons, mainly because the training is too tough for most people...
    Dunno. I stopped because of injury, but one of the reasons I liked MMA classes was because they gave me an ideal way of testing out my kung fu, which sadly none of my kung fu training partners were into.

Plus there were a fair few people there who seemed to just enjoy it. Don't know how many have continued though.

I could well be a minority though.

BTW, this thread is hilarious.

Mighty B: Is the MMA craze finally over?
    KFM: NO!
    MB: The MMA craze is finally over.
    KFM: No... because A... Z.
    KFM: Er, no.

ad infinitum.

Gotta admire the boy's tenacity!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I boxed when I was young I kick boxed with the PKA pro and amateur you knjow 8 kicksand all that stuff. At the time it was the new thing much like MMA is now. Then Mu Thai then MMA etc etc. All things of this type have a life span. These steroid laden fighters are a very small percentage of MA. Most do not want to end up with a brain injury or lifetime orthopedic injury or a blood clot from excess contact or dead. The next level will be death matches look at Rome. One does not have to participate in a MMA "sport" to learn to defend oneself. That is rediculous and dont give me this BS about realistic training otherwise TMA would have been gone long before the MMA craze came about. And to think that cross training came about with MMA is crazy and a joke as well. Research cross trainng and see what you find. Most of what you see is sport specificity it isnt fighting it is a sport. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    These steroid laden fighters are a very small percentage of MA.
    there is standard drug testing in MMA, dont be an idiot.

One does not have to participate in a MMA "sport" to learn to defend oneself. That is rediculous and dont give me this BS about realistic training otherwise TMA would have been gone long before the MMA craze came about. And to think that cross training came about with MMA is crazy and a joke as well. Research cross trainng and see what you find. Most of what you see is sport specificity it isnt fighting it is a sport. KC
    no i guess fighting against resisting opponents with proven techniques on the regular has nothing to do with defending yourself. and silly me being physically fit and muscular with the physical power to defend yourself isnt actually "necessary"
    you cna take on at least 4 guys by yourself as a skinny guy who knows some forms
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I work near a MMA gym.

Just saw them practicing punching elbowing, kneeing the pads with partner.

so not entirely tumbling on the ground all the time.

--

attendance is still good.

so

I dunno if MMA is on the way out or not?

OOPS sorry its called nutrients or HGH or what ever those guys dont get that way "most of them" without some sort of supplementation te he. Whatever. KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    OOPS sorry its called nutrients or HGH or what ever those guys dont get that way "most of them" without some sort of supplementation te he. Whatever. KC
    i take protein supplements. so what?

HGH is testosterone and is tested for because it is an "ANABOLIC STEROID"
    do you have a brain

this guy is such a loser

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    HGH is testosterone and is tested for because it is an "ANABOLIC STEROID"
    do you have a brain
    err
    HGH is human growth hormone, it's not testosterone
    it can/could not be tested for in a typical urine test, so the ban on HGH was not enforceable until relatively recently when they found out how to test for it via a blood test.
    Sly Stallone has admitted to HGH usage, calling it a fountain of youth.
    Who else do we know that seems to have found a fountain of youth? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*
    HGH also tends to cause bone growth, especially in the skull and jaw - as well as organ growth, hence the term "HGH belly".
    Barry Bonds and Tito Ortiz are often accused of having used HGH due to the changes in their bone structures over the years.

All that aside, anybody popped in a steroid test is really just uneducated. There are sooooo many masking agents and methods for hiding steroid use. Athletes at the highest levels have doctors who are up to date on these methods.

Brock Lesner was already popped in suspicion for importing steroids. The charges were dropped, but if you think his size & physique are natural, you're really kidding yourself.

EDIT: to be fair and balanced, Thai kickboxer Yodsanklai was recently popped for steroids when he was tested for a competition in France. It's not as rare as you'd think.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 06-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    err
    HGH is human growth hormone, it's not testosterone
    it can/could not be tested for in a typical urine test, so the ban on HGH was not enforceable until relatively recently when they found out how to test for it via a blood test.
    Sly Stallone has admitted to HGH usage, calling it a fountain of youth.
    Who else do we know that seems to have found a fountain of youth? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*
    HGH also tends to cause bone growth, especially in the skull and jaw - as well as organ growth, hence the term "HGH belly".
    Barry Bonds and Tito Ortiz are often accused of having used HGH due to the changes in their bone structures over the years.

All that aside, anybody popped in a steroid test is really just uneducated. There are sooooo many masking agents and methods for hiding steroid use. Athletes at the highest levels have doctors who are up to date on these methods.

Brock Lesner was already popped in suspicion for importing steroids. The charges were dropped, but if you think his size & physique are natural, you're really kidding yourself.

EDIT: to be fair and balanced, Thai kickboxer Yodsanklai was recently popped for steroids when he was tested for a competition in France. It's not as rare as you'd think.
    what stimulates growth in humans if not testosterone?

Thanks Pork Chop, and yes I do have a brain I have trained with competitive body builders in the past and am fairly up to date on most of this stuff, working in the medical field and all. You may appologize any time now Arhat. BTW there are many precursors to testosterone and that is not the only hormone that promotes muscle and bone growth. KC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Dunno. I stopped because of injury, but one of the reasons I liked MMA classes was because they gave me an ideal way of testing out my kung fu, which sadly none of my kung fu training partners were into.

Plus there were a fair few people there who seemed to just enjoy it. Don't know how many have continued though.

I could well be a minority though.

BTW, this thread is hilarious.

Mighty B: Is the MMA craze finally over?
    KFM: NO!
    KFM: No... because A... Z.
    KFM: Er, no.

ad infinitum.

Gotta admire the boy's tenacity!
    Hey- the boards have been a little sterile lately (with the exception of ILK's dislike of Carradine). Just adding some chi to the place.

Then again your summation is based on a one sided point of view that's obviously pro MMA.

Performance enhancing drugs are commonplace in pro sports, this is old news.
    HGH is not a steriod, as was mentioned already and at one point it wasn't illegal in many sports, not sure about the rules regarding it now.
    The Pro level of ANY sport shoudl not be compared to the recreational level of said sports, that's just silly, no one compares the riders of the Tour De france with guys that go out cycling on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Hey- the boards have been a little sterile lately (with the exception of ILK's dislike of Carradine). Just adding some chi to the place.

Then again your summation is based on a one sided point of view that's obviously pro MMA.
    Nah, when I posted that it was something like 1 and 2 votes for 'Yes' and 'Maybe so' which meant fairly decisive win for the 'No's!

Plus, I'm not pro anything... I've done TMA more than MMA, I like both and I don't really see much competition.

Plus, I'm just pulling your chain ya big girl's blouse! At least the thread's relevant to the board: nice one!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post

Plus, I'm just pulling your chain ya big girl's blouse!
    BIG GIRL'S BLOUSE!?!?!? ... hmmm, I guess I do like the b00bies- yeah, b00bies...

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    there is standard drug testing in MMA, dont be an idiot.
    tito ortiz's jaw is now 3 times bigger than when he was in the ultimate fighter reality show

to tell the truth i liked watching ufc because it was dangerous illegal and super duper badass, now its pretty boring
    Last edited by bawang; 06-11-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    These guys just opened up shop near me. So much for speculation.

http://8thdegreeblack.com/
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.