Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REAL Kung Fu video?

REAL Kung Fu video?

This video clip is the first part of an old French documentary about Alan Lee's Northern Shaolin kung fu school. It seems that he has been teaching kung fu in New York since the late 60's.

Does anyone know of this school? Or Grand Master Alan Lee?
    Can anyone comment on his reputation?

Another interesting aspect of this video is that the students spar using kung fu techniques rather than kickboxing ones, seen so often in Mckung fu schools, nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dw88fw6lXA

The legend continues.
    Thanks for sharing.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    The legend continues.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wow!

Is that your school?

Your signature describes the type of movements that one can see in that documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    This video clip is the first part of an old French documentary about Alan Lee's Northern Shaolin kung fu school. It seems that he has been teaching kung fu in New York since the late 60's.

Does anyone know of this school? Or Grand Master Alan Lee?
    Can anyone comment on his reputation?

Another interesting aspect of this video is that the students spar using kung fu techniques rather than kickboxing ones, seen so often in Mckung fu schools, nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dw88fw6lXA
    So you thought that was good sparring?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

how anyone can view this as good is beyond me.

once again HW

YOU DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY OVER WHAT IS REAL AND WHAT ISNT REAL KUNG FU. K?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Heh, heh, looked like they were going all "capoeira" on each other near the end...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Wonder what Mr. Ross thinks of Alan Lee... ?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    So you thought that was good sparring?
    The thread's title is not a statement but asks that question. However, I will say that at least they are using kung fu techniques and stances and not glorified kickboxing ones. Also it seems to be controlled sparring without certain types of contact.

All in all when one looks at this one sees kung fu rather than the more common kickboxing techniques one sees in the pseudo kung fu schools so prevalent nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    how anyone can view this as good is beyond me.

once again HW

YOU DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY OVER WHAT IS REAL AND WHAT ISNT REAL KUNG FU. K?
    Read my answer to David Jamieson's post before you make an even bigger a$$ of yourself. Then you can go to your MMA gym and ground fight with your fellow knuckleheads!

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Wonder what Mr. Ross thinks of Alan Lee... ?
    Unfortunately what Mr Ross thinks does not matter as Mr Ross is a glorified kickboxer whose only purpose in these forums is to sell his MMA classes and the accompanying dvds. He wouldn't know real kung fu if it fell on his head, inspite of who his teacher was.

Of course, there are many knuckleheads and meat heads here who would not agree with me but then that is no surprise.

Perhaps some authentic kung fu sifus, meaning REAL ones, can give their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

All in all when one looks at this one sees kung fu rather than the more common kickboxing techniques one sees in the pseudo kung fu schools so prevalent nowadays.

Kungfu is not posing. It is entering, using optimum tactics and finishing.

making long stances, jumping about and posing are highly ineffective and are NOT kungfu by any stretch.

this is a fundamental problem with the idea of what is kungfu fighting or using chinese martial arts to fight.

If I enter, and punch straight to the jaw and bypass any crane posture etal, then my kungfu is good because it did what it was supposed to do inasmuch as I attained victory through action.

IN essence, that video showed a bit of training methdology (the stance work, meditation) but the beach scenes were utter nonsense and completely unrelated to martial arts.

If you want to use kungfu in a fight then it doesn't have to look like a technique from a textbook, it has to be effective and use the most direct lines of attack and not waste a lot of energy in doing so. THAT is good kungfu.

I disagree that it shows kungfu in fighting, it doesn't,. it shows a bunch of garbage.

you need to understand combat better if you think mma is bad. NOthing is bad if it is effective and if you can step up and win a fight with cranes beak plucking, then by all means step up! Otherwise there's no point in dissing another line of practice that to date has trashed many a style and made their practitioners look like ragdolls and children being tossed about by an angry uncle.

Take the kungfu and make it work and get OUT of teh mindset of thought boxing.

It's the only way that kungfu will advance. so long as we defend stupid methods and worthless tactics is as long as we ourselves drive kungfu into the ground and render it laughable and worthless.

That really really really needs to be understood.

In friendly dueling with no harm, lots of stylistic stuff looks great and is fun, but in reality and in visceral combat, simple = better.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what are your thoughts on this video. dont know the rules, but i saw no head punches thrown, so i think it was only kicks to the head. the guy in red is cma

definately an old and circulated video
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Jamieson,

This is your final warning

In the past few months we've agreed on Middle Eastern politics, western imperialism and lately even fighting

This madness has to end!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what are your thoughts on this video. dont know the rules, but i saw no head punches thrown, so i think it was only kicks to the head. the guy in red is cma

definately an old and circulated video
    it's taekwondo.

good fight!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

well the one guy is tkd, but the other guy is cma, fighting a tdk guy.

but hey, its afghan, idk how it all works over there.

i did see an interview with the guy in red, he claims shaolin.

mainly, the point here is that im glad i can view youtube at work again. DOWN WITH THE MAN< BREAK ALL THE SENSORS!
    Last edited by Lucas; 06-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.