Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: REAL Kung Fu video?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Ok lets put it this way. Either you studied at Mcdojos or you are not ready to train the TCMAs in any serious manner, even if you were exposed to the real stuff.

Also because of my interaction with you in the past plus the fact that you seem to be clueless about TCMAs and their functionality AND that you don't even mention them in your profile leads me to only one conclusion.
    it used to be back in the day, but since then i have been practising other things.

and wait OH YES another baseless statement, the very fact that you know zilch about me should stop you form making comments such as that.

like i said before. WITHOUT SHOWING WHO YOU ARE AND YOUR SKILL AND EXPERIENCE YOU DONT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO COMMENT ON ANYONE ELSE.

YOU DONT DECIDE WHAT IS AND ISNT REAL GET OVER IT.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    it used to be back in the day, but since then i have been practising other things.
    That means you are, as your profile says, an MMA-ist.

Wait a minute, on second thoughts let me see, you have about ten years of experience in probably about half a dozen styles and you are about 19 years old.

Yep by this forum's standard you are already a Great Grand Master of kung fu/MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat
    and wait OH YES another baseless statement, the very fact that you know zilch about me should stop you form making comments such as that.
    Your profile, presumably written by you, says that you are an MMA-ist. What else is there to know, except perhaps maybe the reason why you insist posting in a kung fu forum?

like i said before. WITHOUT SHOWING WHO YOU ARE AND YOUR SKILL AND EXPERIENCE YOU DONT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO COMMENT ON ANYONE ELSE.
    Well I know plenty about your TCMA knowledge, or lack of, by just looking at your profile. Perhaps if you look at my profile while doing your best to use your brain, then you will get a better idea about me.

It would also help you to actually read my posts on kung fu subjects such as chisao and the internals, etc. That is if you manage to do that without your head exploding.

YOU DONT DECIDE WHAT IS AND ISNT REAL GET OVER IT.
    Of course I don't. I just call it the way I see it.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 06-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Chinese Kung Fu Wu Su

I read through this thread re: the video. I'm going to make some broad comments because most of what I've been reading really does not understand the training methods of the school or what they are doing.

I've been training at Alan Lee's school for the past 9 years. Prior to that, I have had moderate experience in Aikido, Wing Chun and Karate.

When this video surfaced, it was rather interesting for us, as members of the school, to watch because of the similarities as to how the lesson plan has transferred over the years.

The school trains slow in order to build a basic foundation of knowledge and ability. Personally, I would rather know one or two techniques very good, and have my body conditioned to use them without thinking rather than pick up 60 techniques in 2 months and not be able to use them all.

For the person who spoke re: Asian favoritism, that is really just hearsay. The school is very diverse racially and people who 'get' the lesson quickly, usually progress faster. It is also about how much effort you place into it.

The system that is taught is complete and does the external kicking and striking techniques, but also the meditation and healing aspects. In the video, you are seeing different kinds of fighting. The initial part is a form of shadow boxing that we do, then you see paired fighting done slow in order to master technique. Later in the video you see a form called Ging Kong which is used for body conditioning and breaking on the body. You also see various discipline techniques that we use.

The school itself is non-profit. No one draws a salary and all the instructors who teach there are there to promote Chinese martial arts solely.

As with any martial art, the harder you train, the better you will be. What differentiates Alan Lee's school is the indirect stepping which in part makes the fighting look choreographed (I can assure you it is not and we hit very hard).

So I'm not going to get into a ****ing match as to whether or not my school is real or not, but it is a very traditional martial arts school that teaches a complete lesson and the people in it are quite good. I think to the person making the derogatory comments instead of simply commenting on hearsay you should take the time to actually research a system. If you have questions about the video or the system please ask.

For current information on the school the web site is www.kungfuwusu.org.

Cheers!

Why is your school called a "temple".

Is it a religious organization? Do they initiate and ordain monks and priests there?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I always have utmost respect for schools that operate as a non profit.

thats; 'putting your money where your mouth is' so to speak.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

I've been training at Alan Lee's school for the past 9 years. Prior to that, I have had moderate experience in Aikido, Wing Chun and Karate.
    So, for the record, you have no CMA experience to compare it against

The school trains slow in order to build a basic foundation of knowledge and ability. Personally, I would rather know one or two techniques very good, and have my body conditioned to use them without thinking rather than pick up 60 techniques in 2 months and not be able to use them all.
    basics are good, blah blah
    but people in your school aren't learning 60 techniques in six years...

For the person who spoke re: Asian favoritism, that is really just hearsay.
    it was the DIRECT EXPERIENCE of guy who had been at Alan Lee's for years (and who are NOT there now, I wonder why)

The school itself is non-profit. No one draws a salary and all the instructors who teach there are there to promote Chinese martial arts solely.
    and you know this to be a fact how?

As with any martial art, the harder you train, the better you will be. What differentiates Alan Lee's school is the indirect stepping which in part makes the fighting look choreographed (I can assure you it is not and we hit very hard).
    The video hides that fact really well......

I think to the person making the derogatory comments instead of simply commenting on hearsay you should take the time to actually research a system.
    I've been doing martial arts more than three decades, been in the Mo Lam for a good part of that time... Ever consider that?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Why is your school called a "temple".

Is it a religious organization? Do they initiate and ordain monks and priests there?
    No, not at all. The temple is non-sectarian. The terminology is meant to impart the dignity and respect for the place of training. It is a place of gathering for members of the community -- we definitely aren't cultish except in the fact that most of us are Kung Fu obsessive. I would add that Master Lee is an ordained Taoist priest but we definitely aren't religious.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    So, for the record, you have no CMA experience to compare it against

As I said, I've taken Wing Chun and have been exposed to other styles at times -- most of the time (and maybe you'll agree with me on this) that fighters tend to do alot of stand up fighting and don't really employ the fundamentals of their system. Also, to be clear, I am not denigrating other systems because I don't think any system is the 'best' system.

basics are good, blah blah
    but people in your school aren't learning 60 techniques in six years...

As I said prior, it is dependent on your aptitude. I'm sure you would agree that if somebody isn't getting their alignment correct in say a bow and arrow stance and this is repeated over and over again, you can't give new techniques to that practitioner that naturally build off of the old technique. I'm sure you've had this kind of experience when you've trained people where you have one student who is more coordinated and natural and can easily progress while others need to continually work on the foundation. Of course I would also say that you do need to give new techniques even to the struggling students to keep them engaged. Most of the time I think this is because the student isn't practicing on their own etc. If you want to count techniques... LOL ... we *could* do that ...

it was the DIRECT EXPERIENCE of guy who had been at Alan Lee's for years (and who are NOT there now, I wonder why)

Oh I have no idea why either. Every person is different and people come and go all the time. I have the utmost respect for people who can put lots of years into a system.

The video hides that fact really well......

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I would urge you to go watch a class before making blanket judgments.

I've been doing martial arts more than three decades, been in the Mo Lam for a good part of that time... Ever consider that?
    As I said before, I have the utmost respect for people who devote themselves to an art for a number of years and it really shows the true spirit of Kung Fu. I'm just surprised that you would be so dismissive of other systems after all these years of experience. It seems to me that three decades in martial arts should actually breed recognition of the similarities between most martial arts.

All my love,
    Indy

Has it occurred to you that someone who has been doing CMA in NYC for more than 30 years might already have experience with your school? I mean, other than the fact I stated that former Alan Lee students have come to our school and trained....

Also, to suggest that all those guys didn't get real stuff after years of practice was becaue they weren't "coordinated enought" is not only a laugh riot, it is insulting.

One went on the become a disciple of a certain NYC internal stylist and is quite dilligent... if he gets insulted, I'll feel sorry for you

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Indy-could you describe the curriculum a bit?
    Do you learn specific forms, or do you say, learn the movements, techniques, strikes, etc of each of the five animals, and then are required to create your own form from the movements you have learned?
    is the Jing kong a specific form, or is it chi-gung, breathing and striking techniques?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Indy-could you describe the curriculum a bit?
    Do you learn specific forms, or do you say, learn the movements, techniques, strikes, etc of each of the five animals, and then are required to create your own form from the movements you have learned?
    is the Jing kong a specific form, or is it chi-gung, breathing and striking techniques?
    Hi Ten Tigers,

Master Lee trained under various teachers in China before the communists took over and because he was one of the elites he had the time a to learn various styles and incorporate them into his own system.

The basic forms are 12 Springing Legs (Tan Tui) which are the basic forms, Fist Form (which is an incorporation of all basic fist techniques) as well as a 2-man Springing Leg form. There are other minor forms as well which are forms in that they show you a basic technique, but they aren't showy, etc. The more advanced forms include a 2 partner form and others that incorporate the more advanced techniques.

The curriculum is such that our lesson plan rotates so that on various days we'll concentrate on different aspects of the system: a) Forms b) Fighting c) Punching, Kicking, other techniques d) Breathing and Meditation e) Discipline Techniques (hand and body conditioning, etc) f) Self defense

Ging Kong (Gold-Steel form) - is a kind of chi gung but its focus is external to build chi and move it to the surface. When we demonstrate this form, typically the practictioner will be kicked, punched, wood and other objects broken upon them. So in essence it is a form of Iron Body but it is very much tied into the breathing also.

As for Chi Kung - we practice 8 Silk Weaving (sometimes called 8 pieces of Brocade) that are used to massage the internal organs. There is a more advanced version called 12 Silk weaving as well. We also learn Tona breathing, alternate nostril breathing, etc.

Re: the animal styles - The system doesn't specialize in particular animals. Rather we are given a technique (i.e. mantis claw, tiger claw, leopard paw, etc). These techniques are then incorporated into the stepping and movement of the system as well as other aspects of the animal. Normally what happens, is when a student becomes more advanced, they begin to specialize in certain aspects of the system and they become proficient in those areas. So yes, we have the animals, but we do not emphasize that. We emphasize more our stepping and conditioning. I believe it is the stepping which gives the system its unique look.

We do not emphasize forms as much as other systems and the rationale behind this is that while forms teach you important common movements and combinations, it may dangerously lock you into rigidity. Rather, we emphasize continual practice of the techniques you have, and then gradually building them together toward 'fighting dancing' (i.e. shadow boxing of sorts), and then fighting. Normally, a student does not get fighting within the system for about a year since the first year is spent learning basics and conditioning the body to take blows.

I hope that answers your question,
    Indy

Has it occurred to you that someone who has been doing CMA in NYC for more than 30 years might already have experience with your school? I mean, other than the fact I stated that former Alan Lee students have come to our school and trained....

Also, to suggest that all those guys didn't get real stuff after years of practice was becaue they weren't "coordinated enought" is not only a laugh riot, it is insulting.

One went on the become a disciple of a certain NYC internal stylist and is quite dilligent... if he gets insulted, I'll feel sorry for you
    That's great. Thank you for your comments.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 characters
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-21-2010 at 09:00 PM.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 characters

Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

you can't post unless you have 10 characters minimum

(PS: look at the attachment)