Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuen Kay San Flow

are you hendrik santo?

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    The clip is not YKS Wing Chun. I think it is Yip Man line, albeit with some added spice - perhaps Pan Nam influenced.
    Like I said, I don't really see any added spice; just plain old Yip Man of some line or other.

You said it's not YKS - what makes you say that, what are the (at least visible) differences in chi sao, would you say?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman
    i think you dont see this in many YM lineages is that the quality control is horrible. anyone can be called a sifu and teach. who is to stop you. many of the current teachers are bad. and there teachers are probably bad too. they were taught this way.
    Good job we've got people like you to set us straight then, eh.

...the problem also probably lies in the fact that YM was really an expert in the chung choi (chain punch) and not so much in sticky hands.
    Source?

to defeat most CLF and Hung Gar fighters good footwork and a fast chung cho is all you really need.
    I'm sure you've defeated countless CLF and Hung Gar practitioners this way with ease and will be (here it comes...! ) posting video evidence!

he learned sticky hands from yuen kay san for a few months before he went to HK to teach.
    Was that it? Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    i dont think in the YM lineage they are anti "flowing". im sure that is the way it is supposed to be. that is one of the essences of any soft style. continuous motion. in tai chi this concept is taught through 'silk reeling'
    **** me, you managed to post something about the topic. There are many ways of doing chi sao.

In general, congratulations: your post has won a big fat
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    he learned sticky hands from yuen kay san for a few months before he went to HK to teach.

Nonsense ! YKS learned from Ng Chung So just like Yip Man and Yui Choi.

In fact the physical evidence supports that the basic rolling platform comes either from Ng Chung So or from the joint training YM ,YKS and YC did together. In fact the basic rolling is even part of the Chum Kui that YC learned from NGS.

Also Yip Man did not go to Hong Kong with the purpose of teaching. He went to HK to avoid the communists. He fell into teaching as a way to make some money many months after he moved to Hong Kong and it was only the chance meeting with Leung Sheung and the group he was teaching that lead to YM starting to teach.
    Thanks Hunt1,

Finally some common sense!

are you hendrik santo?

It doesnt matter who am I for this discussion, isnt it?

What is your real name? why do you make such an accusation on late Gm Yip?

Regardless of Lineage...

i think you dont see this in many YM lineages is that the quality control is horrible.
    I personally dont think a lack of quality control is limited to one lineage, you seem a little bias there bud. If it came down to per capita perhaps not...i mean obviously more people do Ip Man VT so....

And there are differnt types of flow as previously mentioned....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84_BX...e=channel_page

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGy5...e=channel_page

Different approaches, but flowing none the less.

the problem also probably lies in the fact that YM was really an expert in the chung choi (chain punch) and not so much in sticky hands
    If what you say is true (which i dont believe) then wow YM learnt good sticking hands in just a few months hes either awesome student or YKS and fabulous teacher....

IMO flow isnt the be all and end all, there are several problems i have with the first clip...like crossing ones hands often, flying elbows, looking at the hands as i think you mentioned, guy kicks without disrupting opponents horse first (or rather raises leg) etc etc.

Sure the flow looks good but there are many bad habbits they should try to eliminate there....this is just for the sake of discussion though clearly they are students drilling and improving - hell for all we know it could be thier second week training.... if so - then dam thier good LOL

Its all relative.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

That would be incorrect.
    YKS learnt from Fok Bo Chuen and Fung Siu Ching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    That would be incorrect.
    YKS learnt from Fok Bo Chuen and Fung Siu Ching.

YKS schools in Mainland China have acknowledged for years that YKS learned from NG Chung So.
    As for learning from Fok Bo Chuen and Fung Sui Ching that depends on who you talk to. Several early Sum Nung students have stated that YKS never learned from FBC. Only from NCS and FSC. . In China they all that I have seen say NGS most say FSC and all say his brother as well.

The most curious thing is that these conflicting stories were around while Sum Nung, was still alive. So is it any wonder that there can be so many different YM stories when he has been dead for over 35 years and taught hundreds of students?

YKS schools in Mainland China have acknowledged for years that YKS learned from NG Chung So.
    Which schools?

1. NOT Yuen Kay-San or Sum Nung WCK

2. YKS didn't learn from Ng Chung So. Sorry, Hunt1, complete BS manufactured later.

No early Sum Nung WCK students say that, unless they never bothered to learn the history (many didn't care) and just believed the uninformed articles that came out later.

From Sum's earliest students, through the 50s, 60s, and 70s, they all have the same history, Fok Bo-Chuen and Fung Siu-Ching.

Aside from that, Ng Chung-So's WCK is different, more like Chan Wah-Shun WCK -- of course.

Thank you ritchie...

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    1. NOT Yuen Kay-San or Sum Nung WCK

2. YKS didn't learn from Ng Chung So. Sorry, Hunt1, complete BS manufactured later.

No early Sum Nung WCK students say that, unless they never bothered to learn the history (many didn't care) and just believed the uninformed articles that came out later.

From Sum's earliest students, through the 50s, 60s, and 70s, they all have the same history, Fok Bo-Chuen and Fung Siu-Ching.

Aside from that, Ng Chung-So's WCK is different, more like Chan Wah-Shun WCK -- of course.

According to Leung Dai Chiu (one of Sum Num's early student), whom i just vistited last week, Yuen Kay San learned from FOK BO CHUEN and FUNG SIU CHING
    No Way

Quote Originally Posted by JT1125 View Post
    According to Leung Dai Chiu (one of Sum Num's early student), whom i just vistited last week, Yuen Kay San learned from FOK BO CHUEN and FUNG SIU CHING
    thank you JT are you Yuen Kay San practictioner?