Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vietnamese Martial arts

Not an expert on Vietnam martial arts:

While stationed at Algiers Naval Station (New Orleans, LA between 1978-82?) I met some Vietnamese who siad that there is a martial arts tradition but it was kind of lost until some Vietnamese who studied Chinese or Japanese traditions attempted to re-introduce that long lost treasure. There was always a strong Chinese presence in Vietnam and intermarriage tended to create a reconstruction of what was named NamViet Martial Arts, usually a product of the individuals who created this new reality.

Crap, like most things that come out of Vietnam. In 1968, the summer of, myself and a Korean Captain and two of his command were fighting behind the mess hall. There was about a hundred guys back there and we were taking challenges for money. All my Korean buddies were TKW black belts and I was the only Wing Chun fighter in all of Vietnam that I knew of. A south Vietnamese Captain of the Black Panther Division was there and challenged me. He had been told that in order to gain respect he needed to whip the biggest, meanest and the ugliest man he could find. There I stood. 210 lbs of muscle, and uglier than a terminal case of hemeroids. I beat that fool so bad I don't think he ever recovered. Had slurred speach for the next 3 months. He was a 6th degree black belt in some sort of Vietmanese crap just like that. More show than action. He didn't even have a clue as to how to defend against me.
    Jackie Lee

The fourth International Vietnamese Martial Arts Festival

Intriguing. I hope more surfaces on this on the web.
    Int’l martial arts festival opens in Binh Dinh
    Updated : Thu, August 2, 2012,2:02 PM (GMT+0700)

The fourth International Vietnamese Martial Arts Festival officially kicked off in the central province of Binh Dinh on August 1.

The opening ceremony was attended by many party and state leaders, representatives from sectors and localities across the country and thousands of domestic and foreign tourists.

Participating in the event, organised by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism in collaboration with the provincial People’s Committee, are 725 martial arts masters , instructors and athletes of 69 martial arts delegations from 27 countries and territories across the world.

Speaking at the opening ceremony, Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Thien Nhan said Vietnam ’s traditional martial arts always keep abreast with the country in the national defence and construction, contributing to developing the sporting tradition and the intangible culture of the nation.

He expressed his hope that this year’s event will contribute to preserving and promoting unique values of Vietnamese martial arts and that traditional martial arts training will be developed at schools in the province and the whole country in the future.

This year’s festival will see the establishment of the Vietnam International Martial Arts Federation, which is expected to help popularise the traditional martial arts of Vietnam all over the world.

During the event, martial arts competitions and performances will take place.

There will be also a workshop on enhancing Vietnamese martial arts and a photo exhibition of Vietnamese traditional martial arts along with arts performances and a folk singing festival.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cuong Nhu

So I have this YMCA like facility next door to my place and they are offer training in either Tae Kwon Do or this Cuong Nhu a couple days a week. I looked around the net and I cannot even find any vids where to the students look half way proficient at anything. I know there is some terrible TKD out there but there are also some quality students....

The best demo I could find: http://www.cnatl.org/movie.html

Anyone have experience or know someone with this style or would care to share their experiences? In theory it looks like it might have a nice blend of skills but maybe it tries to do too much and delivers too little.

I'd rather train well in a one dimensional style rather than something that isn't does a lot of things poorly.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 08-13-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

There wing chun is some of the worset I have seen on the net (which is saying something) having spoken to a couple of students there understanding of the individual arts is terrible, id stay away from it if possible.

Thanks Frost, I agree after observing an active class and looking at how small the style's following is here in the States...just would be hard to find or transfer to another school or teacher.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Human to Hero & Vovinam

I've not heard of Human to Hero. Anyone?

CNN TV crew to highlight martial art Vovinam
    Thanh Nien News
    HO CHI MINH CITY - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:28 Email Print

Photo credit: The Thao & Van Hoa A demonstration of Vietnamese martial art Vovinam. Photo credit: The Thao & Van Hoa

A television crew from the Cable News Network visited Ho Chi Minh City this month to interview Vietnamese martial artists for the show Human to Hero.
    The team made a video cataloging the typical techniques and movements of Vovinam, short for Vo Viet Nam (Martial Arts of Vietnam).
    The crew also interviewed martial artist Nguyen Van Chieu, a representative of the Vietnam Vovinam Federation, on November 8 at Phu Tho Gymnasium.
    CNN asked Vo Danh Hai, general secretary of the World Vovinam Federation and vice chairman of World Martial Arts Union, to make the film, The Thao & Van Hoa reported.
    Their email to the World Vovinam Federation said they wanted to make a film featuring Vovinam in the country of its birth.
    Ho Chi Minh City is known, globally, as the cradle of the art form.
    Vovinam is a comprehensive fighting system based on the principle of hardness and softness.
    The wide range of techniques include punching, kicking, wresting and the use of weapons such as sticks, knives, swords, and axes. Training with weapons serves as training for control of the body and mind.
    Vovinam was founded by Nguyen Loc in 1938 and designed to develop an efficient self-defense strategy following a short period of study.
    The grandmaster combined his knowledge of traditional Vietnamese martial arts and concentration elements to create an art that would help repel the French occupation and promote a sense of national identity.
    Although emigrants opened a Vovinam studio to Houston, Texas in 1976, the art was kept secret at home until its official introduction in the 1990s.

Foreign practitioners perform Vietnamese martial art Vovinam. Photo credit: The Thao & Van Hoa

To date, the art has been promoted to more than 50 countries worldwide, practiced by millions and included in Southeast Asia and Asia sports tournaments.
    The CNN episode is scheduled to air to international viewers next month as part of the Human to Hero show, which premiered in January 2012 and explores the discipline, dedication and determination involved, as well as the sources of inspiration for the world’s best athletes. The show draws nearly 260 million viewers worldwide.
    Stars featured in the show include Spanish Formula One racing driver and a two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso, American professional surfer Kelly Slater, retired French footballer Patrick Vieira and European and world Skyrunning champion Emelie Forsberg.
    Hai said the CNN show is a good chance for Vietnam to “promote Vietnamese martial art traditions that have been solidified through thousands of years and various national revolutions.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First World Traditional Martial Arts Championships

First world traditional martial arts championships in Vietnam

IANS

Ho Chi Minh City, March 2: The first world traditional martial arts championships will take place here from July 24 to 30, the World Federation of Vietnamese Traditional Martial Arts (WFVV) said on Wednesday.

The week-long event is expected to attract over 800 participants from over 30 countries and regions, including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Australia, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Algeria, reports Xinhua.

The WFVV was established in 2015, with the first term of its organising committee comprising of 56 members from 30 countries and regions where Vietnamese martial arts are popular.

Vietnamese martial arts are being taught and practiced in at least 45 countries around the world, attracting millions of practitioners.

Vietnam will propose UNESCO to recognise Vovinam, a world-famous Vietnamese martial art, as the world's intangible cultural heritage, Le Hai Binh, deputy general secretary of the Vietnam Vovinam Federation, also spokesman of the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said at the International Vovinam Meeting 2016 here in January.
    If anyone out there can write about the connection of Vovinam to Kung Fu, I'd love to run an article on that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi Gene

it seems to come from these 2 guys according to the list at the begining of the thread they are Vovinam Le Sang (1931- ) Nguyen Loc (1912-1960) .

Hi Gene

There are some articles on Vovinam here is one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vovinam

The first world championship of Vo Co Truyen

09:23 | 27/07/2016

First world championship of traditional Vietnamese martial arts to begin this week

Martial artists from 30 countries will gather in Ho Chi Minh City this week to compete in the first world championship oftraditional Vietnamese martial arts.

‘Vo Co Truyen,’ or traditional martial arts, is the collective name for a number of martial arts invented and practiced by the Vietnamese throughout the country’s history.

Influenced by the Vietnamese culture and mindset, Vo Co Truyen schools focus less on the ‘martial arts,’ which are the physical moves and techniques employed to overwhelm one’s opponent or defend oneself, than they do on the ‘martial way,’ which is the training of the mind and an outlook on life.

The first world championship of Vo Co Truyen will be held in Ho Chi Minh City from Tuesday to Saturday, welcoming martial artists from 30 countries to practice traditional Vietnamese martial arts.

This is not the first time that traditional Vietnamese martial arts have been featured in an international event, as five festivals and five international competitions have been held since 2006.

This is, however, the first world championship to be organized after the establishment of the World Federation of Vietnam Vo Co Truyen (WFVV) last August, marking the martial arts’ success in attracting global practitioners.

Grandmaster Le Kim Hoa, vice chairman of WFVV, flew to France in May to teach and share the rules of Vo Co Truyen combat to delegations from over 20 European countries in preparation for the landmark event.

According to the championship’s organizers, the opening ceremony will feature Vietnamese culture and history through a mob display of ‘Phat Quang Quyen,’ a Vietnamese fighting school incorporating the hands.

Olivier Barbey, a Swiss Vo Co Truyen master and founder of the ‘Son Long Quyen Thuat’ school in France, said he was overjoyed to learn that Vo Co Truyen would have its first world championship.

Barbey first came to Vietnam in 1989 and has witnessed the growth of Vo Co Truyen in international popularity over the years. He said practitioners of the martial art could dream of being part of the Olympics with such remarkable advancement.

Hoang Vinh Giang, vice chairman of Vietnam’s National Olympic Committee and chairman of WFVV, said Team Vietnam at the first Vo Co Truyen world championship would place more emphasis on promoting the martial art to international friends than on taking home trophies.

“The Vietnamese team is only allowed to compete in 22 to 23 events out of the total of 52,” Giang said.

The championship will run at Phu Tho Stadium in District 10, Ho Chi Minh City.

The event will be held every two years, with the goal of attracting 60 countries by the year 2020 and promoting the practice of Vo Co Truyen in 100 countries and territories by 2030.
    'dream of being part of the Olympics' Good luck with that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Vovinam in high school

This is the way to promote your culture's martial arts. This is what is done in China, Japan & Korea. Glad to see it in Vietnam too.

Last update 14:38 | 03/10/2018
    Kids get fit with martial arts lessons in school

VietNamNet Bridge – A high school in the northern province of Nam Dinh has launched a new idea to promote physical activity at schools.

A junior high school in Hai Hau District, Nam Dinh Province introduces martial arts to students. Photo courtesy of the school

But this isn’t a game of football or some basic PT.

During break times three days a week, all students will gather in the school playground to exercise the first lesson of Vovinam, a Vietnamese traditional martial arts.

According to Nguyen Thi Trang, a teacher who shared the video clip on the social media, most of students enjoy taking part and are upset when bad weather means they have to cancel.

And it’s not only helping the student keep fit. Teacher Trang says it is spiritually beneficial for them as well.

"It is necessary to organise such activities to get them motivated and taking part in collective exercise. It also brings fun and unforgettable memories for them”, Trang told Vietnamnet online newspaper.

Physical training is a very important subject both by keeping them exercised and learning a new skill.

The writer thought this activity should be expanded so as students can develop an interest in exercise at a young age.

It would also be welcomed in major cities including Hanoi and HCM City were children are often physically inactive.

According to a 2016 survey, a third of the Vietnamese population does not exercise enough to meet the WHO (World Health Organisation) recommendation of 30 active minutes at least five days a week.

Source: VNS
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to win!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest web article

Gene Ching