Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do all MAs turn into kickboxing in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    No, what happened to them? They still have their federation don't they?
    as in: http://www.uskungfu.com/federation_officers.htm

they don't organize events anymore?
    that is NOT the organization that I knew that ran Jeff Bolt's events in Houston and then Florida

I don't even see Jeff's name in that list??

And in case I've lost touch with the politics and Jeff IS involved in that group, oh the irony, half the people on that list tried to run Jeff Bolt out of business in the "old days"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    that is NOT the organization that I knew that ran Jeff Bolt's events in Houston and then Florida

I don't even see Jeff's name in that list??

And in case I've lost touch with the politics and Jeff IS involved in that group, oh the irony, half the people on that list tried to run Jeff Bolt out of business in the "old days"
    He's a founding member. That list is just the sub-officers of the federation.
    they got a thing going on in Dallas in a week or two I think, legends of kungfu or something like that.

anyway, what's the story there? bunch of crap politics?

also, as an aside, it was always my observation that when it came to kungfu politics, it often reflected chinese politics.

It was always KMT schools dissing the contemp wushu schools and vice versa.

to be fair, the kmt schools always had better kungfu. lol
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 07-07-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    He's a founding member. That list is just the sub-officers of the federation.
    they got a thing going on in Dallas in a week or two I think, legends of kungfu or something like that.

anyway, what's the story there? bunch of crap politics?
    Oh well, Gene will kill me, but......

Back when there was "NACMAF" and Tai Yim and Anthony Goh were still speaking to eachother (as opposed to wanting to kill eachother), their event was in Baltimore

Jeff Bolt's event was first in Texas, then moved to Florida

I don't know how Jeff felt, but knowing Jeff, he probably didn't care, but I know that NACMAF viewed Jeff Bolt as a competitor and wanted to "beat him". Every f-in meeting had some negative comments about Jeff.

There was also an ongoing effort to "win over" respected Sifu. Brendan Lau called up my sifu (CTS) and even though CTS had a close relatoinship with Tai Yim, asked him to come to Florida and Jeff's event

My sifu loved to demonstrate, and who doesn't want a free hotel room

Later on, NACMAF got into a major league pissing match with Wai HOn'g "East Coast Kung Fu Federation" (which Tai Yim had belonged to, and according to Wai Hong still belonged to and thus was "disobediant")

In the ensuing "my gwan do is bigger than your gwan do" BS, Tai Yim and Anthony Goh decided to partner with Jeff Bolt to form the USA WKF

Then, because Anthony Goh wanted to show Wai HOng that his gwan do was REALLY BIG, ANthony Goh committed a brand new organization with no money to doing the world WUSHU championships .... did I mention that he did this DESPITE the entire organiation objecting? Did I mention that most of the base of this new organization was TRADITIONAL GUYS and this was a WUSHU event?

Did I mention that Goh snubbed all the traditional people by having the yearly national everone loved on a WEDNESDAY and a THURSDAY so he could do the WUSHU CHAMPIONSHIP?

So, once everyone hated Goh's nuts Tai Yim made up with Wai HOng and they formed the organization you just linked.... how Jeff Bolt got into that mess I am not sure

And the sad part is, I am only really brushing the very shallow surface of all that BS history of the past
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

now i dont know if anyone else has experienced this or not....but...

sometimes when i meet other martial artists, i sometimes feel almost embarassed to say im a kungfu guy. simply because i know the majority of people have this pre concieved notion of what cma is, which is always based on the fluff wushu movie crap. thus most people automatically assume you dont know jack all about actual fighting. which for some of us just isnt the case. some of us have a view and a goal we work towards thats fully grounded in reality.

sometimes you do meet the guys who 'get it' and understand its all about your training goals and what you do to reach those goals. though on average, the bad face of cma is all people know about it, even well trained martial artists have these scewed pre concieved notions....which i understand, truly, because i can see how this type of thinking comes about.

of course a nice technical discussion or a little sparring can pretty quickly show people what page you like to read....but still...

anyone else ever experience that...

its annoying being dismissed outright because you say the word.... chinese
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    now i dont know if anyone else has experienced this or not....but...

sometimes when i meet other martial artists, i sometimes feel almost embarassed to say im a kungfu guy. simply because i know the majority of people have this pre concieved notion of what cma is, which is always based on the fluff wushu movie crap. thus most people automatically assume you dont know jack all about actual fighting. which for some of us just isnt the case. some of us have a view and a goal we work towards thats fully grounded in reality.

sometimes you do meet the guys who 'get it' and understand its all about your training goals and what you do to reach those goals. though on average, the bad face of cma is all people know about it, even well trained martial artists have these scewed pre concieved notions....which i understand, truly, because i can see how this type of thinking comes about.

of course a nice technical discussion or a little sparring can pretty quickly show people what page you like to read....but still...

anyone else ever experience that...

its annoying being dismissed outright because you say the word.... chinese

I know exactly what you mean!

It's only because of my size 6'2" 300plus that people don't give me crap. They are already intimidated by my size, so they dare not say anything out of place. I've had a few though that wanted to test me thinking I'm some big slow inexperienced CMA sifu worshiper.

That is the last thing they think afterwards...

Of course, then you get that's not kung fu what you did to me!

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Heh, heh. I actually like telling people that I'm a Kung Fu/ Tai Chi practitioner. Especially if they've done any boxing or kickboxing. Sometimes they ask if I wanna spar and are surprised when I say "Sure". Then we spar... and that's ALOT of fun...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    theres a shaolin saying yi li shen shi zhao
    strength beats 10 techniques

many kung fu forms look complicated but its just punch kick grab varation
    it looks complicated maybe because its done flowerly
    一力胜十招 。
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I have to say I've experienced this myself. The guy was a MT guy and once u say "kung fu" its like a smirk appears on their face OR they want me to ask them "so what do u do?"

Its rather annoying but at the same time, since they underestimate, they are even more shocked at the outcome.

On a side note - this has also renewed "my faith" in chinese boxing. There was a point where I realized that MMA, MT, etc isn't the be all and end all (don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for those that train in their art, it's just that some are extremely ****y and feel they can wipe any kung fu guy no problem...especially with casual training..and then they realize its not so easy)
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Heh, heh. I actually like telling people that I'm a Kung Fu/ Tai Chi practitioner. Especially if they've done any boxing or kickboxing. Sometimes they ask if I wanna spar and are surprised when I say "Sure". Then we spar... and that's ALOT of fun...
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    I usually go with "I'm a yoga practitioner who is becoming a vegan and I support gay marriage vehemently".

Pretty much anybody will leave you alone after that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I do tend to get a chuckle out of people that say boxing is easy and such.
    Simple does not = easy.
    Boxing is, by far, the best method to teach anyone how to use their hands how to strike.
    Why do I say best?
    Because it is a method that is quick, effective, simple and anyone can be taught to make it effective in a short period of time.
    It still doesn't make it easy.
    You can sit down with a good boxing coach and discuss boxing strategies and such for hours, the different body methods, different modes of power generation, foot work, evasion tactics, blocking and so forth.
    Don't even get me started on how Muay Thai.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I do tend to get a chuckle out of people that say boxing is easy and such.
    Simple does not = easy.
    Boxing is, by far, the best method to teach anyone how to use their hands how to strike.
    The college that hosts the judo club I go to also hosts a boxing club on the following days (and both are free - yay!). I keep meaning to give it a go, but something always comes up. I would love to combine boxing and judo.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    The college that hosts the judo club I go to also hosts a boxing club on the following days (and both are free - yay!). I keep meaning to give it a go, but something always comes up. I would love to combine boxing and judo.
    You can't love it that much if you always let something else come up to push it away.

show some brass man! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

boxing + judo

man i wish there was some judo near me i could get to on my schedule.

i did talk to a guy that trains at straight blast gym, who conveniently just moved in to a location between my work and home.

once i re arrange my finances im going to go sign up. the way it was explained to me is for 125 a month you get unlimited access to any material thats being taught. im going to go for the boxing for sure, and possibly get into the bjj, and hopefully find a judo contact through them.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    boxing + judo

man i wish there was some judo near me i could get to on my schedule.

i did talk to a guy that trains at straight blast gym, who conveniently just moved in to a location between my work and home.

once i re arrange my finances im going to go sign up. the way it was explained to me is for 125 a month you get unlimited access to any material thats being taught. im going to go for the boxing for sure, and possibly get into the bjj, and hopefully find a judo contact through them.
    SBG has some of the best instructional vids available out there bar none.
    If they have good instructors in your local, I would go! I admire their way of approaching and training martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, judo = fun.