Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Why do all MAs turn into kickboxing in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    MMA is simply what kung fu USED to be when it was trained as a fighting system.
    Except I don't think that the old kung fu guys wanted to take it to the ground. That was filthy and for the "dogs." Go figure the one ground fighting style we all know is called "dog boxing."

....but that was a cultural oversight, all is fair in love and war as they say.

EO

MMA is simply what kung fu USED to be when it was trained as a fighting system.
    Kung Fu is no longer a fighting system? Wow we've been left out of the loop 'cause we still use it to fight I better inform my teacher, associate branches and the HK associations! LMFAO
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Kung Fu is no longer a fighting system? Wow we've been left out of the loop 'cause we still use it to fight I better inform my teacher, associate branches and the HK associations! LMFAO
    There aren't many venues for it, it is not actuvely promoted in fighting venues and you don't see kungfu artists winning in any of the other major venues that are available to strut ones stuff so to speak when it comes to martial arts.

IN asia, you get the ridiculous padded contests that aren't on par with western h2h combat in a ring setting.

You are only now starting to see san shou coming out in china as a strong lead in chinese martial arts and frankly, they're not really chinese and those guys do not use traditional forms to train with or most traditional methods.

wu shu players are all about forms and they don't actually fight with them. It's a national sport in china to remove teeth from tigers it seems.

Sadly, we here in the west have a tendency to adopt that, but we always hide the fact that the tiger is toothless.

This can all be redeemed, especially by us. Those of us who are in the here and now have to think about ways of updating and moving the material forward. We can have contests, we can leave out the unusual stuff for those contests and continue to use trad methods, but the fight has been taken out of it, that much is clear and it needs to be put back in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Really?
    Kung fu is a generic name, while there are some very limited systems that train fighting, I am sure you agree that is not the majority.
    Can the average kung fu person answer these simple questions:
    Who do you fight?
    Where do you fight?
    When was your last fight?
    Was it full contact ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Except I don't think that the old kung fu guys wanted to take it to the ground. That was filthy and for the "dogs." Go figure the one ground fighting style we all know is called "dog boxing."

....but that was a cultural oversight, all is fair in love and war as they say.

EO
    Nobody wants to take it to the ground, no matter what you have heard, doesn't change the fact that it can end up there and to not address is silly at best and suicidal at worse.

Well, this guy wanted to take it to the ground...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2-4...layer_embedded
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

This might have something to do with it...

http://www.vybzmagazine.com/wp-conte..._Cherie_01.jpg
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post

hahaha, i guarantee you that chick is NOT a kickboxer.

a)she's too hot
    b)no bruises, no facial marks
    c)look at her nails for cripes sakes. lol

still, she's hot!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

We were talking about ground work in the ocntext of how original kung fu was taught ie: a fight with the chance of multilple attackers, I am sure that guy would have done just fine if one of the spectators decided to tee of on his face, of course if he was aware of that possibility he probably would not have been so eager to put himself on the ground and lose his ability to get the **** out of there.

hahaha, i guarantee you that chick is NOT a kickboxer.
    LOL...does it matter?!?!?
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post

I see you found a pic of our new kickboxing instructor!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

i wonder how the lift and slam would have effected the outcome had they been on concrete and not grass.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i wonder how the lift and slam would have effected the outcome had they been on concrete and not grass.
    precisely! I was waiting for people to start griping about how the BJJ guy wouldn't have been able to do what he was doing if it had been concrete, just to point out that he was not the first man to meet the ground!

what i want to see is street application of shuai jiao or judo

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    precisely! I was waiting for people to start griping about how the BJJ guy wouldn't have been able to do what he was doing if it had been concrete, just to point out that he was not the first man to meet the ground!
    I think Lucas is talking about when the guy lifts and slams the BJJ dude during the armbar setup.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.