Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do all MAs turn into kickboxing in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    An mma "stand up" format would be fun (but probably brutal).
    that would rule. mma sanshou! keep the throws in there for sure.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

theres a shaolin saying yi li shen shi zhao
    strength beats 10 techniques

many kung fu forms look complicated but its just punch kick grab varation
    it looks complicated maybe because its done flowerly
    Last edited by bawang; 07-01-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by andyhaas View Post
    Actually, the TRUTH is ... very simple ...

You hit anybody in the nose or face hard enough to hurt them ... they BLEED ... (or just go ow ... I want to stop) = end of the competition fight.

Therefore, competition fighting = mostly watered down boxing with puffy gloves on so it goes on longer. Case closed.
    Have you seen a Pro MMA fight? Hell People get arms broken and continue to beat their opponents. You can see massive amounts of blood and people will not stop unless the ref calls the fight.

Hell I don't stop if I'm bleeding.. its only blood.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    LMFAO

Please, go to a boxing gym and ask one of those MERE SPORT FIGHTERS to punch you in the face with the FLUFFY GLOVES and then, when you wake up, report back what happened
    I seem to remember those "fluffy gloves" being the reason why I stopped doing Kickboxing.. Just getting hit "lightly" for some people can be too much. Have you ever really been punched in the face??

If you don't want it to degenerate into kickboxing...

start with kickboxing. Have 'em train and fight until they get good at it, then teach them traditional Chinese martial arts after they've had a good full contact base and training in San Da or MMA.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I would be interested in folks' opinions of why you don't see pek, been, gwa, sow, kup, etc in MMA, Sanshou, Sanda, etc.
    I have heard some say that they are too telegraphed, but anystrike is telegraphed if it isn't set up properly. Yes? No?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    The great ones are always the toughest to find!!!
    Ever so true.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I would be interested in folks' opinions of why you don't see pek, been, gwa, sow, kup, etc in MMA, Sanshou, Sanda, etc.
    I have heard some say that they are too telegraphed, but anystrike is telegraphed if it isn't set up properly. Yes? No?
    Personally, I think it's because the style I studied we did kickboxing and then learned 'kung fu' style blocking and striking skills separately, so they look distinct from kickboxing. I mean, I call an uppercut an uppercut, an upward block an upward block, etc.

When I do a bagua uppercut, the dynamics are totally different than kickboxing. Stance, step, etc.

(Then again, I'm lazy when it comes to names ... I never tried to remember Chinese names for stuff ... don't really try to use yi di sang wha (sp) or bil jee or that type of stuff ...

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    been?
    you see JYUHN BIN (spin back fist) all the time

sow?
    Long hooks, we use them all the time

kup?
    overhand, actually very common
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I saw a guy in golden gloves in maryland throw overhand lefts that were WAY more clf-style sow choy than even a standard boxing overhand.
    Occasionally you'll see guys in san shou pull off sow choy - like that dude out of Chicago, though he does kinda wind up a bit much for my tastes.
    They also throw a forearm shot that's very similar in muay thai in Thailand (the only place I know that it's legal).

Pek Choy is similar enough to the hammer fist that's a staple of ground n pound in mma.

Personally, I couldn't really pull off gwa-anything (ie gwa-sow-charp, gwa-ping, gwa-kup, etc) with any sort of consistency - especially as a lead-off, but most times even as a counter. The gwa just took too long to get there. It *might* work the first time and then any time after that i was toast.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 07-01-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by andyhaas View Post
    Personally, I think it's because the style I studied we did kickboxing and then learned 'kung fu' style blocking and striking skills separately, so they look distinct from kickboxing. I mean, I call an uppercut an uppercut, an upward block an upward block, etc.

When I do a bagua uppercut, the dynamics are totally different than kickboxing. Stance, step, etc.

(Then again, I'm lazy when it comes to names ... I never tried to remember Chinese names for stuff ... don't really try to use yi di sang wha (sp) or bil jee or that type of stuff ...
    A punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick. When you learn how to chain them together with proper timing and alignment you are a fighter.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I guess that the time of chastisement has passed...

Heh, heh. I love it when someone with no experience in full-contact competition or real fighting decides to impart their wisdom about these subjects....
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

or has it only begun? You know as well as i we could carry this for a few more pages.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the human body is limited, in range of motion, in the number of limbs, to the physical capabilities, etc. The body is also bound to the laws of the environment surrounding it. what i think that results in is that certain types of punches/kicks/strategies are more effective than others - meaning that many styles end up converging when it comes to the full-contact setting.

to me, the various martial art styles have diverged so much in their teaching and much of the "fighting essence" is lost in the forms and propagated by movies, tv, and other driving forces (eg. $$-related).

but martial art styles, imo, at one time were different vehicles to get to the same place, whether it's called kick boxing or whatever, they are just different ways of training, perspective, strategies etc to train the student ultimately to fight. the fight is going to have a kickboxing/boxing appearance (as defined by the limitations above)...but hopefully the vehicle the student chose suited his/her personality, beliefs and goals, etc. It's called kickboxing or boxing only because we have a word for it in our language/culture now. Perhaps in another land and different time, they saw it as kung fu, karate, etc.
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com