Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Security Tips from David Hackworth

myosimka Guest

qimaster

also saying a quote doesn't make it true.

"The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"-Jefferson

He also said when asked that every 12-14 years for a bloody revolution sounded about right. Thank god we only followed his advice on some things and not others. Pithy and eloquent as he may have been.

"The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose."-Shakespeare

rogue Guest
    Gandi may have been a pacifist but many people surrounding him were not.

Story from the Guardian 1940's

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

jjj Guest
    Myosimka you are right. I think we can solve our problems using your non-aggressive resistance approach. It worked for Ghandi right? In fact, I think we could have saved alot of lives and avoided world war II using this approach. I am sure Hitler would have been satisfied once he conquered all his neihbors. Even if Hitler did conquer the USA, I am sure he would have allowed us to protest peacefully right? Yeah, and we should have just had a peaceful demonstration to protest the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. Maybe we should have just had a peaceful protest in front of the remains of the WTC instead of bombing. Who wants to go to Kabul with me to protest terrorism? Anybody? LOL

All we are saying... is give peace a chance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It's not really NHB because they won't let me bring a platoon of Navy SEAL's with Blackhawk fire support into the ring!"
    -Watchman

tsunami surfer Guest

tsunami surfer Guest
    **** how do you get the icons onto a message. Im an internet retard*

rogue Guest
    All I did was post some security tips. The Evil Kung Lek&#153 is the one that hijacked this thread. **** Canadians!!! ;)

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

myosimka Guest
    Rogue- you can't be arguing that the demonstrators you mention constitute a strong military. Especially not in comparison to the British forces. Your contention earlier was "Pacifism is a luxery provided by a strong military." I contend that you still haven't proven that. Ghandi never viewed it as a luxury but rather as a moral imperative. Also, Indians had been rioting against the British for generations. Didn't work. The shift was the widespread movement led by Ghandi which was a non-violent resistance movement. It worked.

JuiJitsuJedi- Never said non-violence was the only solution or even the best in all cases. Point is it has worked in cases against superior military force. I certainly have no problem with a violent resolution in some cases.(Indians had their means of ousting the Brits, we had ours.) But it has worked in some cases. I am not leaping to sweeping, ridiculous generalizations in your argument, please use the same rules of logic in responding to mine. Arguments in absurdia are only valid if I make statements like "all" or "if, then" which imply absolutes. I never said pacifism would always work, simply that it is not a luxury.

Both of you-the point is this: It's not a luxury. In many cases, it's actually a far more difficult response. It's a moral stance. One you may disagree with. But it is certainly not a luxury. Does it always work? Nope. Does it always fail? Nope. I don't believe that Socrates, Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr., or the biggie: Christ, made easy choices and it certainly wasn't a 'luxery provided by a strong military'. In fact, I doubt I could have made the same choices that each of those men made.(Stupid people pi$$ me off too badly.) And I admire them all the more for it.

Lastly, the post was originally in response to qimaster and I have this to say on that score. I hope that I can be a tenth the citizen that each of the aforementioned men was. It's a pretty good goal

myosimka Guest

and Rogue

Thanks for the original post. Any tips are welcomed.

I choose not to live that way as I think the paranoia would reduce my quality of life to an unacceptable level and, as a nontarget, I think the threat level doesn't warrant that response but those tips were definitely something to think about.

Mokujin Guest

Thomas Jefferson quote...

Myosimka-

He [Thomas Jefferson] also said when asked that every 12-14 years for a bloody revolution sounded about right. Thank god we only followed his advice on some things and not others. Pithy and eloquent as he may have been.

I've always believed this quote from Jefferson is a statement of fact, not his advice. To sum it up, there will always be war- plain and simple. I expected something like 911 would occur- it was only a matter of time. It was a bloody war that gives us all the freedoms Americans enjoy today as the United States.

I am certainly not an expert on Ghandi, but isn't he still not allowed back into his home country?

Some things are worth fighting for.

BTW Myosimka, do you study martial arts?

Peace!
    :D

My apologies to Rogue for being off topic again! ;)

Kung Lek Guest
    Ok, ok ok... I'm Canadian :D

Overall I think this thread has been a pretty good one.
    One of the few where the discussion is heated and the debate is fiery and the tangents are drifting but still everyone is cool.

That in itself says a lot.

peace

p.s (Ghandi wanted to destroy temples that were absolute works of art that dated back to the seventh century because of the renderings of the dieties in various positions a la Kama Sutra, remind you guys of anyone?)

Also, he was a lawyer, aaaaaaaaaiiiieeee!!!! And he was assasinated so we can only hope he doesn't show up anywhere. Yikes that would be freaky.

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

qimaster Guest

don't take it too hard if

you cannot finish basic training. they do not give med retirements for getting your foot run over by a humvee at least to my knowledge, maybe if it resulted in an amputation they might. I am not a board member of a P.E.B. so I would not know of such things. whether or not they would discharge you, I dunno either.

If you do not wish to serve, thats fine with me.
    I am just proud to have served, and feel that it has made positive difference in my life.

Mokujin Guest

Well, I'm an idiot!

After that last post, my wife helped me figure out that I'm quite an idiot. For some reason I thought of the Dali Lama- not of Ghandi and got'em both confused. She educated me on the subject.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up before somebody opened a can of whoop @ss on me!

Peace!
    :D

qimaster Guest

famous men

Socrates was forced to drink hemlock, self asassination.

Ghandi was asassinated, and so was Indira Ghandi years later. After Ghandi gained freedom for India, they had a civil war that created Pakistan
    so that the moslem Indians would not have to live with the Buddhist and Hindu Indians. After the Yoke of British oppression was removed, all the old hatreds came seething back with a vengence.

Martin Luther King Jr. was asassinated, and that set off the watts riots I believe and practically nothing changed even to the days of the LA riots some 30 or so years later with regards to social reforms, other than creating a welfare state that held many people in bondage even to this day. The Military was the first to enforce and introduce desegregation under Truman.

Christ; after the sanhedrin had him asassinated through the auspices of the great Roman Empire, his belief system was eventually taken over by the Romans during the reign of Constantine, and the Church became the State. Constantine the great saw that by having the people believe in one god, he could more easily control them, by having himslef personified as a god, and the Holy Roman Empire was born. The pagans who once cheered at the death of christians, now became the christian who cheered at the death of pagans.

those great men, and many more I am sure, were all eventually murdered by the State, and their deaths then caused a greater upheaval.

rogue Guest
    If any think you're not a target let's hear from everyones favorite tango...

"We do not differentiate between those dressed in military uniforms and civilians; they are all targets in this fatwa."

If we're all gonna be targets, we all might as well be counter-terrorists.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

Watchman Guest

qimaster,

Constantine the great saw that by having the people believe in one god, he could more easily control them, by having himslef personified as a god, and the Holy Roman Empire was born.

Not to disparage your post, but since this thread is getting hijacked right and left, I thought I'd do my History Geek™ duty (since Anarcho is slacking off) and correct one minor point here:

Constantine wasn't the originator of the Holy Roman Empire, although he laid the foundation for the Catholic Church.

The originator of the Holy Roman Empire was Charlemagne the Great, King of the Franks, who gobbled up the Burgundians, Saxons, Lombards, and a few other neighboring German feifdoms, and declared himself emporer circa late 700's AD.