Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No-holds-barred Kung Fu tournament

SevenStar Guest

Not to flame, but...

What exactly would the point be? You have stated that there will be rules - which for safety reasons there have to be - so it's really not reality fighting and seems like it would most likely resemble pride or some other currently existing tourneys. If a kung fu stylist would enter that, he may as well give pride a try also. Also, that will help in giving a bas rep to kung fu, as people will say "They will only fight if they are fighting other kung fu styles. Why won't they fight a thai boxer or submission grappler?" By limiting the styles that can enter, you once again take away from the reality, as in the street chances are yoor opponent will not be someone trained in CMA.

"Also, If it goes to the ground and there is no finishing move or quick technique, the fighters will have to seperate and stand up."

Does that mean no ground and pound? that also takes away from the reality of the event. this would be nothing more than full contact continuous sparring, from the sounds of it.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
    " - nightair

SifuAbel Guest
    I agree, any style should be able to compete. The burden would still be up to us kung fu guys to show the stuff. And that's all that this thread is about; Getting a better rep for kung fu.

I never liked the clinche and stop of the kickboxing.

The only foul rules would be no eye strikes or blinds. Moderate groin strikes, both must wear cup. Death, of course, would disqualify you and your opponent.

The only rules for fighting for both striking and locking would be a general ban on techniques that lead to permanent or life threatening damage, in other words, nothing that would be designed to maim instantly and with little force.

All clawing, soft tissue manipulations, stiking of any variety with any part of the body, hard takedowns, submissions, "real time" continuity, are allowed at any point in the match.

No stopping for takedowns. Allowing attacks on the recovering man. All striking allowed to grounded opponents while standing or earthlevel.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
    com

Wongsifu Guest
    you know considering there is enough trashy nhb events and stuff , and kung fu guys dont really like to enter them for obvious reasons like hmmm no i dont really want to crack open someones head with my iron palm, I cant see who would spar in this "ancient kung fu competition"

OH except for mcdojo guys and wushu practitioners who will give kung fu a bad name !

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
    They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Daredevil Guest
    Good points from Seven Star, SifuAble and Wong.

Basically, why not just enter a typical NHB competition? It would do lots more for bettering kungfu's public rep.

SifuAble proposes a nice set of rules, though.

I propose an addition of a time limit : 3 minutes (or maybe even less). If the fight isn't over in three minutes, it's a draw.

And SifuWong, I think that's the problem. It would attract the kungfu guys who really shouldn't be representing CMA.

However, theoretically, if the selection is tight it might get a few good entries. With a tight selection process it'll get judged as overly selective though and some parties will cry foul play.

Also, restricting pressure point striking might be a bit difficult.

Anyway, despite a lot of problems .. sure, why not.

Xebsball Guest
    Vasco, people can die, thats a fact. People died in that tournament in 1928.
    But i dont think it would keep people from entering, because today the probabilities of having death in such match is a lot smaller than in more than 60 years ago.

-------------------------
    I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
    I'm too sexy for your mother, too sexy for your mother
    So sexy, YEAH

Merryprankster Guest
    Abel, Seven:

I agree with all of your points 100%! I wasn't even halfway through this thread when I thought "What does Kung Fu vs. Kung Fu prove?" Then Abel proposed his almost perfect set of rules (which incidentally look a LOT like the rules of the first 4 or so UFC's). I also agree with Abel that Kung Fu needs to lay the smack down in a public venue if it is to be taken seriously as a fighting art. I'm not saying Kung Fu can't, I'm saying it hasn't yet in a widely seen venue, and that raises doubts.

I propose a different set of rules though. No biting, fishhooking or eye gouging. All other techniques allowed. All ring tactics allowed (stalling, extremely defensive fighting,etc).

I have one more question: On what surface will this take place and in what type of enclosure? Ring? Cage? Fenced in like the Octagon?

Daredevil Guest
    Don't know about the fencing or such, but the only real choice for the ground is hard - concrete or rock. That's a big nod towards realism.

Of course, that's gonna help all the grapplers out there too, who like bringing folks hard on the floor. :)

Concrete floor would make for interesting matches.

Wongsifu Guest
    I think the best way to hold a kung fu competition is to have both opponents wearing one of those redman suits , where you can get kicked in the nuts and it wont hurt. This way even if you get some guy with iron palm he will bounce his opponent like 50 feet away with a strike and no one will get hurt...

:D :D :D

Btw Sifuabel what the hell is a LIGHT groin strike..

is it one that makes you go

:o

instead of

:eek:

They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Wongsifu Guest
    on a more serious note , the realism of the fight must be emulated , realism means that hitting a guy 3 times with gloves and causing no damage , subsequently being took down is very different from on the street hitting a guy 2 in the face is enough for him to need plastic surgery and face reconstruction , kimura wouldnt be able to throw you after that..

Also how do you win , when the only way a striker can win is by koein his opponent or killing him , whereas grapplers can apply 1032850297520 diferrent locks and the opponent just taps.

we should be able to balance this out by having point rules allocated like san shou where a throw is 3 points a strike is 1 ... only not so ****y.

I dont care what anyone says but the matter of the fact is , in the ring i might lose to gracie , but on the street i would kick him so hard in the nuts that he'll be spitting out spunk for a week.

Xebsball Guest
    I'd like to see this in a Lei Tai because of the tradition thing, but i dont know if it would be the ideal place for the matches.

-------------------------
    I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
    I'm too sexy for your mother, too sexy for your mother
    So sexy, YEAH

FeloniousMonk Guest

When and where?

When and where? No rules should apply at all! They're are no rules in kung-fu if there were rules it would be unrealistic. People in the competition should know not to kill someone, and any true master would know when to stop, anyway a true master wouldn't enter a tourney. What does a master have to prove?

The unbeatable Felonious Monk

Merryprankster Guest
    I agree about the ground. It should be hard. What if you used something closer to a LIGHTLY padded wooden floor, akin to thin or medium weight carpet padding with some sort of surfacing? Grass or astroturf would also be excellent. You've now got something that will create almost as hard of an impact, but not so much bleeding, and grass/turf is not particularly unrealistic.

I disagree completely about the point system. Think about it: In a fight, you win when your opponent no longer poses a threat to you. For a stand-up style, this means a KO, or disabling your attacker in some other way, maybe knocking the wind out of him or executing a joint strike that leaves them unable to continue. The more grappler oriented guy will be looking to disable as well, but either with a takedown, or a joint lock.

Bare-knuckle only. Just for the record, gloves protect the HANDS not the head. You can punch MUCH harder with gloves on than without because you don't worry about breaking your hand. The blunt trauma impact of a gloved hand is far worse than most bare knuckle shots for that reason.

Felonious, have you yet considered that nobody takes you seriously? That said, I stand by my rules: No biting, no eye-gouges, no fish-hooks. All else is legal.

Jaguar Wong Guest
    WongSifu,
    LOL @ the "Light Groin Strike" emoticons. I think the light groin contact is the one where you have to say "hold up a sec" then everyone pauses for like...10 seconds when the effects kick in.

As for how strikers would win? Just like you said, KO. There's also submission by strikes (Ground and Pound), or just chopping away at the extremities until they can't continue (Like Mo Smith did to Tank, and Frank Shamrock did at his K-1 Debut). The whole point is that if you're just a striker, then you'll be at a disadvantage, because you can't control the pace of the game.

If your Kung Fu style has at least basic anti grappling principles then you can at least attempt to keep the fight standing in your neighborhood, but if you have good functional knowledge of striking and grappling (especially when mixed in healthy doses of punishment), then you can more easily stay relaxed and focused, so you can concentrate on where to take your opponent. If he's a better grappler, then your skills should be used defensively until you can open up some strikes, and make him change the game, but if he's a sharper/faster striker, it would be beneficial to stay in tight, and tie up his weapons (which is easier on the ground).

You see that's the point of Kung Fu, it's not to be better than everyone at every single thing, it's to be great at one aspect, but knowledgable about the rest in order to be prepared for any opponent.

"Think anything else and you playin' yo self"
    - Jeru the Damaja

Jaguar Wong

Merryprankster Guest
    Nice post Jaguar!

Watchman Guest
    Merryprankster is correct.