Thread: Is Tai Chi trending?

Is Tai Chi trending?

The top fitness trends
    July 8, 9:31 AM

A new survey put out by the American College of Sports Medicine polled fitness and health experts. They were asked to identity the top trends. "The ACSM, a nonprofit sports medicine and exercise science organization, tracks trends for the fitness industry and gives the public a heads-up about what they are likely to face at the gym, the doctor's office and the workplace." Source

The survey polled over 1500 fitness professions from six continents (including the U.S.). They were asked to ignore what the fitness experts might see as fads.

* Personal training which came into vogue over 10 years ago was seen as the top trend. It is no longer seen as just for the rich and famous although it seems to me that in this economy that would be one of the first things people would cross off their list. However, if you are new to working out or need motivation a few sessions with a trainer makes a world of difference.
    * Children and obesity came in second in the poll. This Examiner has written widely about the epidemic which has finally moved from just an after thought to the forefront of problems with which we must deal.
    * Strength training now known to be effective in stopping all sorts of ills especially osteoporosis was number four.
    * Core training which works the abdominal and back areas was seen as increasingly a big part of people's routines.
    * The stability ball which didn't make the top 20 two years ago came in at number eight.
    * Also new to the top ten were Yoga, Pilates, and Tai Chi.
    * Promoting health at work was number 12. We now know that giving employees good health benefits, access to a gym, and even an exercise class at work increases productivity.
    Actually, this seems a little deceptive if you chase the source. In the following article they say "And in a sign of the changing times, balance training, which includes yoga, Pilates, tai chi and exercise balls, came in at number 10" which I take to mean that yoga, Pilates and tai chi are all grouped into a single category.

Confused about fitness regimens? Poll tracks trends
    Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01am EDT
    By Dorene Internicola

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) Pilates or yoga? Kettlebells or free weights? Running or spinning?

If you are dizzy from trying to choose among all the fitness regimens out there a new survey of fitness and health experts, who were asked to identity the top trends, may help.

Experienced fitness professionals topped the list while strength training, core work, special fitness programs for older adults, pilates and balance training also made the top ten.

"We give the fitness professional some idea of what they're going to see," said Dr. Walter Thompson, of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) which conducted the poll.

The ACSM, a nonprofit sports medicine and exercise science organization, tracks trends for the fitness industry and gives the public a heads-up about what they are likely to face at the gym, the doctor's office and the workplace.

Thompson said 1,540 ACSM-certified fitness professionals from Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, North America and South America took part in the online survey.

"We really wanted to look at trends," Thompson, a professor of Exercise Science at Georgia State University, explained. "We instructed the respondents to ignore fads, like the devices you see on late-night TV infomercials."

So you won't discover anything about those contraptions that promise miracle abs for 30 minutes' work a week.

Thompson said it was no surprise that experienced fitness professionals and personal trainers captured the first and third spots in the survey.

"The fitness industry has increased exponentially," Thompson said, but at a price. "There has to be some policing. People are getting hurt by trainers who just don't have the qualifications."

Personal training, introduced about 10 years ago and once a luxury for movie stars, is now provided by all gyms.

Children and obesity came in second in the poll, thanks largely to the development of more programs to attack the growing problem.

"For the first time in history the next generation of young people may not live as long as their parents or grandparents," the ACSM said in a statement.

Strength training, increasingly a part of most regimens, and core training, which strengthens and conditions the stabilizing muscles of the abdomen and back, rounded out the top five.

The stability ball, which came in at number eight, did not even make the top 20 in an ACSM survey in 2007.

"Most professionals believed this was a fad," the ACSM said. But the ball has morphed into a versatile teaching tool for stability, balance and strength.

And in a sign of the changing times, balance training, which includes yoga, Pilates, tai chi and exercise balls, came in at number 10. Two years ago it did not make the top 20.

Another surprise at number 12 was the emphasis on comprehensive health promotion at the workplace.

"The notion of wellness coaching (number 13) was also a surprise. Last year it was at the bottom." said Thompson, adding that nutrition as well as exercise and wellness training points to a more holistic approach to fitness in general.

Thompson and his team don't claim to predict the future, but they're confident that the trends they track to inform the fitness industry can also educate the public.

He noted that physician referrals to exercise professionals is a growing trend.

"Exercise is medicine," Thompson concludes. "We're bridging the gap between fitness professionals and physicians."

And just maybe between professionals and the public as well.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt 4 2018!

Changing the title of this from 'Tai Chi makes the TOP TEN fitness trends' to 'Is Tai Chi trending?' Of course, I hope so. But then I hoped so when I launched this thread 9 years ago.

Fitness / Workout Trends
    Tai Chi Is Having a Moment—Here's Why It's Actually Worth Your Time
    The mental and physical benefits of Tai Chi make it a worthy addition to your workout routine.
    By Renee Cherry | Aug 03, 2018

Photo: ShotShare / Getty Images

Tai Chi has been around for centuries, but it seems to be having a moment. Pinterest included it in its top 100 trends for 2018, noting a 189 percent increase in searches. A growing interest in the practice only seems natural since more and more people are including mental health in their fitness goals. Sure, if you thrive on quick, explosive workouts, the slow movements of Tai Chi might seem like a complete joke. But in reality, it's anything but.

Research suggests that Tai Chi provides amazing mind and body benefits. And if you pack your week with intense training sessions, all the more reason to add Tai Chi into the mix. It improves your body awareness, which is why many dancers and athletes use Tai Chi for cross training, says Peter Wayne, Ph.D., director of the Tree of Life Tai Chi Center and associate professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

"[When practicing Tai Chi], you're really paying attention to how the pieces of your body connect efficiently," Wayne says. "In that sense, it's a nice addition to other exercises, because that awareness may prevent injury." (Related: How to Stay Fit and Sane When You're Injured)

Still not sold? Read on for more reasons why Tai Chi well worth your time.

What Is Tai Chi?

Tai Chi Chuan is a martial art that originated in China anywhere from a few hundred to over a thousand years ago. It's categorized as an "internal" martial art since it's all about harnessing your spiritual and mental energy. Today, many people do Tai Chi solely for its health benefits—learning Tai Chi as self-defense takes years of instruction since you have to overcome your impulse to fight aggression with aggression. The practice is colloquially shortened to "Tai Chi," meaning "supreme ultimate": the supreme force in Chinese philosophy. "Chuan," meaning "fist," defines the practice as a martial art. Together, "fist of the supreme alternate."

The Mental Benefits of Tai Chi

By now you're probs well-versed in the many health benefits associated with meditation. Tai Chi is like meditation on wheels, so naturally, it shares in many of those perks. A meta-analysis of 40 studies on Tai Chi published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine found a reduction of stress, anxiety, and depression symptoms and improved self-esteem with regular Tai Chi practice. (Not to cause alarm, but stress is actually killing American women.)

The Physical Benefits of Tai Chi

A common misconception about Tai Chi is that it's not legit exercise, according to Robert Etherington, president of the Tai Chi Foundation and teacher at the New York School of Tai Chi Chuan. He encountered that belief early on; when Etherington took his first class, a group of karate students walked through and one shouted "Boring!" he tells Shape. But the slow, drawn-out motions of Tai Chi are part of what makes it so worthwhile.

"There are a lot of things you can't feel when you're moving fast. That's not to say that a slow-paced workout is better, but it's certainly an important complement," Wayne says. After all, everyone can benefit from working on balance and flexibility, two things Tai Chi helps with. (Try this barre workout to improve your balance.)

Since Tai Chi is accessible to all fitness levels, it's stereotyped as an "old person" workout. And the fact that most research about Tai Chi only looks at older adult participants probably doesn't help. "We don't know a lot about how Tai Chi impacts younger people: children, teenagers, young adults," Wayne says. "There's a deficit of research in this area." But the studies that do include younger subjects show promise. In a study published in the American Journal of Chinese Medicine, college students who tried Tai Chi for three months reported that they felt an improvement in physical and mental health.

One of the most common focuses of Tai Chi research is its effect on bone health. A lot of research suggests that people who practice Tai Chi have stronger bones, and bone health is key no matter your age. Exercising from a young age can set you up for better bone health down the road, according to the International Osteoporosis Foundation. (Another study found Tai Chi can reduce osteoarthritis pain.)

What to Expect from Tai Chi Classes

If you sign up for a Tai Chi class in the U.S., you'll most likely be learning the Yang style of Tai Chi. One of five major styles, it originated from the Yang family in China. During each class, you'll perform the same "form" or sequence of continuous movement. "Every time you do a particular form, it's the same sequence," Etherington explains. "You just do it a little more slowly or you can emphasize certain principles, such as balance and smoothness and continuous movement."

You can locate studios through the Tai Chi Foundation or American Tai Chi Association. As with any workout, don’t expect immediate mastery. It's not always easy to overcome the impulse to fidget and it can take weeks to start getting results. "Most of the research that's been done on Tai Chi has been based on 12-week, 24-week, or 6-month programs, and that's where we see benefits happening," Wayne says. "But research supports that you can see benefits in as little as 12 weeks with a good program and teachers."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't really think that Tai Chi is trending...

...but I remain hopeful. If it is trending, it's doing it with that Tai Chi style...very slowly.

Reading Eagle: Bill Uhrich | “Many people have been entranced by observing others in the parks of large cities worldwide, and think: ‘I’d like to do that,’ ” says Dr. Jan Gyomber, owner of Berks Tai Chi and tai chi practitioner.

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 2, 2018 02:29 PM
    More accolades for tai chi
    Number of studies grows astronomically on the benefit of the mind-body exercise.
    WRITTEN BY BY KAREN L. CHANDLER

Benefits come from those who practice its combination of slow movements, deep breathing and focus.

Tai chi, an ancient Chinese form of exercise dating to more than 700 years ago, is taking its place among today's popular exercise forms because of its adaptability, versatility and potential to relieve psychological and medical issues.

Tai chi, a mind-body exercise, can change the brain and body chemistry to promote healing, boost immunities, strengthen muscles, calm digestion and improve cardiovascular and lung functions.

Dr. CJ Rhoads, College of Business professor at Kutztown University , managing director of the Health, Prosperity, and Leadership Institute and Health & Wellness contributor, has been practicing tai chi for about 29 years. She explains the exercise's slow movements, deep breathing and focus are the key.

There has been a dramatic increase in medical studies on the benefits of tai chi and other mind-body practices, according to Rhoads. With only 21 studies published on PubMed in 2008, the numbers grew astronomically to 235 studies in 2017. She notes that Harvard Medical School, Vanderbilt University Medical School and Tufts University Medical School have been promoting tai chi to graduating medical students based on the evidence in the studies.

Professor of sports management and leadership studies at Kutztown University, Dr. Duane Crider had been working in a stressful position as an athletic director and practicing martial arts when he first tried tai chi in the early '90s on the recommendation of his martial arts instructor.

“After 45 minutes, I was sold,” Crider said. “It calms you down. It slows you down. It started me on that pathway when I found something so marvelous.”

Two years later, Crider began teaching tai chi. Today he gives tai chi workshops and trains tai chi trainers around the country. Crider also helps Kutztown University students learn the most widely practiced styles of the exercise as part of their classes. Learning the common styles makes it more likely for students to be able to participate in classes off campus wherever they go, because they are familiar with the routines.

“Many people have been entranced by observing others in the parks of large cities worldwide, and think: I'd like to do that,” said Dr. Jan Gyomber, owner of Berks Tai Chi and tai chi practitioner, award winner and instructor since 1993.

Gyomber teaches classes ranging from a simple tai chi for balance to rehab patients to in-depth classes for taekwondo students. In addition, he conducts weekly classes at Berks Encore locations, area retirement communities, yoga studios and fitness facilities.

As a part of his recovery from a diagnosis of Hodgkin's lymphoma, Gyomber practiced tai chi from his bed until he could transition to standing for a 20-minute routine.

Gyomber and Crider agree that the adaptability of tai chi for various groups — including senior citizens and anyone with physical injuries or limitations including vision loss to athletes looking to improve balance and coordination — make it a universal choice for many people.

Brendan Biondy, a KU senior majoring in sports management, participated in a semesterlong tai chi class with Crider.

Biondy credits the instruction with helping him learn to clear his mind.

“I was worrying about every little thing,” Biondy said. “I was taking a lot of classes for my major, and there was a lot of stress.”

Crider confirms his freshman students learning tai chi as part of a stress management course are taught breathing and movements to help them better cope with test anxiety and the stresses of college life.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hope all of it trends and beats out the current obesity and sedentary lifestyle trends that are happening.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ttt 4 2020!

Not really trending. I didn't know where else to post this...

Verified by Psychology Today
    Paul Thagard Ph.D.
    Hot Thought
    Why Does Tai Chi Feel Good?
    Tai chi has health benefits through cognitive, emotional, and social mechanisms.
    Posted Jan 13, 2020

Tai chi is an ancient Chinese tradition that provides a gentle and graceful form of exercise. I’m now on my second course and really enjoying it, even though my Apple Watch says tai chi does not significantly elevate my heart rate. The evidence-based health benefits are substantial, covering preventing falls, osteoarthritis, Parkinson's disease, rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, improving cognitive capacity in older adults, depression, cardiac and stroke rehabilitation, and dementia (Huston and McFarlane, 2016).

Moreover, weaker evidence finds improvements in psychological well-being including reduced stress, anxiety, mood disturbance, and increased self-esteem (Wang et al. 2010). What explains these benefits? Traditional Chinese medicine says that tai chi works by balancing yin and yang and redistributing qi energy. Psychology offers a different set of explanations, tai chi works through cognitive, emotional and social mechanisms.

Cognitive Effects

The slow movements in tai chi make it look simple but they actually take a lot of concentration. You need to keep track of both arms, both legs, and hips, with novel movements such as forming a hook with a hand. Moving slowly requires more concentration than a faster, jerkier movement. In addition, the movements are accompanied by controlled deep breathing: when hands go up or towards the body, and out when they go down or away from the body.

Moreover, a short, minute-long sequence in tai chi can require 10 different combinations of movements, each of them with four different movements of hands and feet. A five-minute sequence can require around 200 different actions, not including controlled breathing. Hence, tai chi imposes a large cognitive load on the mind.

This cognitive load prevents my mind from wandering. I’ve tried meditation but never been able to do it for more than 20 seconds because it’s too boring and my mind wanders to more interesting aspects of my life. In contrast, tai chi requires full concentration, reinforced by my teacher who notices if I’m not following precise instructions. Thinking exclusively about body movements prevents people from thinking about other, more stressful aspects of their life such as work, health, and family conflicts.

How this prevention works is explained by my theory of consciousness. Your brain forms many mental representations that are different patterns of firing in large groups of neurons. These representations compete with each other for the very limited span of consciousness, you can only keep around five to seven things in mind at once. The complex movements of tai chi require new kinds of motor representations that take over consciousness, outcompeting troubling thoughts. I think this is one of the reasons that tai chi reduces stress.

Emotional Effects

Stress is also a matter of emotions, and tai chi has emotional effects that are more than just cognitive competition. Emotions depend on both cognitive appraisals of how a situation is affecting your goals and on the detection of physiological changes, where appraisals and changes are represented by unified neural representations. Tai chi does not raise heart rate like more vigorous exercise, but the deep breathing definitely impacts physiology in the way that meditation does, producing a calming effect.

article continues after advertisement

Deep breathing hacks the vagus nerve, which is the longest part of the autonomous nervous system, connecting the heart, lungs, and digestive tract. Calming the body sends signals to the brain that complement the re-appraisal that comes from not being able to think about stressful aspects of life. Tai chi lowers stress by regulating emotions as well as by diverting thoughts.

Social Effects

I practice tai chi on my own for about 20 minutes on most days, but the classes are group events, as are park gatherings where large numbers of people participate, as I hope to do when I’ve acquired more skill. The sociologist Randall Collins has emphasized the importance of interaction rituals in which mutually focused emotions and attention produce a shared reality that generates solidarity. Interaction rituals are important in religious observances, sports events, dances, and live concerts. Tai chi similarly generates emotional energy from group practices, complementing the individual cognitive and emotional effects on stress reduction.

References

Huston, P., & McFarlane, B. (2016). Health benefits of tai chi: What is the evidence? Canadian Family Physician, 62(11), 881-890.

Wang, C., Bannuru, R., Ramel, J., Kupelnick, B., Scott, T., & Schmid, C. H. (2010). Tai Chi on psychological well-being: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complement Altern Med, 10, 23. doi:10.1186/1472-6882-10-23

About the Author
    Paul Thagard, Ph.D., is a Canadian philosopher and cognitive scientist. His 3-book Treatise on Mind and Society was published by Oxford University Press in February, 2019.
    In Print: The Brain and the Meaning of Life
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nothing says trending like an NYT article

Tai Chi Is a Workout for the Brain and Body
    The mental and physical benefits span cultures and generations. Here’s how to get started.

Credit...By Nic Boozang
    By Cindy Kuzma
    June 20, 2023
    “Parting the Wild Horse’s Mane.” “Wave Hands Like Clouds.” “Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain.” These are not song titles or poems. Rather, they’re the deceptively complex movements of tai chi.

With around 250 million practitioners around the globe, tai chi is often cited as one of the world’s most popular physical activities. It originated in China in the 17th century as a martial art. Unlike karate or taekwondo, tai chi focuses on quiet strength rather than combat, which makes it more accessible to older adults or those who have been injured.

Shirley Chock, 48, began practicing in her 20s, after she tore her A.C.L. She had previously trained in wushu kung fu, a more acrobatic martial art that caused the tear, but tai chi offered a low-impact way to rehab. The former financial professional, who was born in New York and spent her childhood in Taiwan, also found tai chi beneficial in managing stress and conflict. After about two years, she began teaching, and eventually took over Aiping Tai Chi, the Connecticut school where she had trained.
    Since then, “the most common thing I have heard is older students saying, ‘If only I’d discovered this practice when I was younger,’” Ms. Chock said. Here’s what makes tai chi so useful, and how to get started with it when you’re ready.

Sherry Zhang demonstrating tai chi in a traditional uniform in Manhattan. Research suggests the practice can improve balance, mobility and even cognitive flexibilityCredit...Isabelle Zhao for The New York Times

Why practice tai chi?

Tai chi blends mental focus and physical effort to build strength, flexibility and mindfulness, said Peter Wayne, the director of the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine and the author of “The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi.”

The poses are upright and less demanding than many in yoga, another mind-body practice. “Because tai chi evolved in terms of physical function and interaction, I think it translates better to everyday living activities, like lifting groceries, pushing doors open or catching things that fall,” Dr. Wayne said. Tai chi is also different from passive techniques like meditation because it pairs deep breathing and movement, which experts say helps you to calm your nervous system.

Research suggests tai chi can also improve balance and mobility, including in people with neurological conditions like Parkinson’s disease. It also helps prevent falls in older adults. By strengthening surrounding muscles, tai chi also reduces strain on joints, said Dr. Amanda Sammut, the chief of rheumatology at Harlem Hospital and an assistant clinical professor of medicine at Columbia University.

For this reason, it’s recommended in guidelines for managing knee and hip osteoarthritis from the American College of Rheumatology. Studies also suggest two to three sessions per week may lead to improvements in depression, anxiety, psychological well-being and cognitive flexibility.

Depending on your fitness level, tai chi can be as aerobically challenging as a brisk walk of the same duration. The practice has few risks, but it’s still wise to consult your doctor if you have chronic health problems.

Unlike other forms of meditation, tai chi blends breathing with movement, which some experts say trains your body to resist tensing up under stress.Credit...Isabelle Zhao for The New York Times

More advanced movements in tai chi can seem intimidating, but mastering even the most basic movements can also be rewarding.Credit...Isabelle Zhao for The New York Times

How do you get started?

The name tai chi refers to both the physical practice and the underlying philosophy of yin and yang — that there’s no good without bad, no dark without light, Ms. Chock said.

There are several styles — including Yang, Chen and Sun — named after prominent teachers or founders. “Although there are differences, there are many more commonalities,” Dr. Wayne said, and no scientific evidence that any one is superior. For beginners, Ms. Chock recommends the Yang style; it’s the most popular, so you’ll have many classes from which to choose.

No standardized certification exists for instructors, so Dr. Wayne suggests searching online for schools and classes. If you’re interested in understanding the philosophy, seek out those who’ve studied it in-depth rather than classes solely emphasizing fitness.

Visit at least two classes to make sure you’re comfortable with the space, teaching style and your classmates. “Tai chi is experiential; you have to go and try it and feel it,” Ms. Chock said.

Some schools are pricey — perhaps $25 and up per class — but others offer lower or sliding-scale fees, and you might find free classes through park districts or community organizations. You can also learn online, and some instructors who are also health care providers have virtual courses for people with arthritis and other health conditions, Dr. Sammut said.

Beginner classes include foundational exercises, slowly introducing concepts and principles before moving into simple choreography so you won’t feel overwhelmed by complicated steps. It also helps to see the names of tai chi movements (often references to Chinese literature) as tools that aid visualization, Ms. Chock said. For example, if you are doing “The White Crane Spreads Its Wings,” you can “actually imagine a crane spreading its wings.”

Despite the martial arts foundation, you likely won’t fight. Advanced students may spar against partners but most classes teach movements for individuals. Here are four appropriate for beginners.

Video

CreditCredit...By Nic Boozang
    Qi Pouring

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Bend your knees gently, pick up your left foot and take a large step to the left. Center your body weight. Begin rocking back and forth by lifting your heels, then your toes, then your heels again.

Each time you come forward onto your toes, bring your arms up to chest height with your palms down and your wrists soft. As you rock back on your heels, bring your arms back down to your sides, palms facing back.
    Video

Raising the Power

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, then pick up your left foot and take a large step to the left. Bend your knees into a slight mini-squat as you raise your arms up in front of you, keeping your wrists and hands relaxed. Then press your hands back down as you gradually straighten your legs.
    Video

Wave Hands Like Clouds

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, then gently bend your knees as you pick up your left foot and take a large step to the left. Straighten your knees, and as you do, lift your arms to chest height, palms facing down and hands and wrists loose and relaxed. Calmly bend your knees back down into a mini-squat, arms in front of you. Turn at your waist so your stomach and chest face right; as you do, shift your weight onto your right leg and brush your right hand up and across, in front of your face, palm facing inward. Once your hand crosses your midline, lower your arm back down.

Repeat in the other direction, turning your torso to the left, shifting your weight onto your left leg, and brushing your left hand up and in front of your face and then back down.
    Video

Washing Yourself With Qi From the Heavens

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, then lift your left foot to take a large step to that side. Slowly lift your arms up to your sides and then overhead. Circle your hands, palms down, in front of your face and toward the floor. Visualize rejuvenating energy flowing through your body, anchoring you to the ground.

Cindy Kuzma is a journalist in Chicago and a co-author of “Breakthrough Women’s Running: Dream Big and Train Smart.”
    Follow the link to see vids (although you'll need NYT access)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips