Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kick training

Sure,

Jones and Chun working back and forth.

do this in Thai land or those based ball breaking Kyokushin kickers one is asking for a broken leg.
    Those happen in 1970's but i guess people dont learn the lesson .

with all the protection gear and un aware of reality;
    one is training in a misleading path. ... Sad.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.

it's not for sport. you might wanna train a lot of things for scenarios..

but if you live in america, and are training for self defense..and not planning to run into thai kickboxers or the karate kid, or maybe train for someone other than that....it might be okay.
    i still think that stuff can work if performed right on most anyone, tho.

they were obviously experimenting with it. where's the common sense?
    Last edited by tigershorty; 07-09-2009 at 10:04 PM.

but if you live in america, and are training for self defense..and not planning to run into thai kickboxers or the karate kid
    I'd love to get some statistics on the amount of males who have taken some form of kickboxing or martial art that encourages kicking to the leg. It'd be a good percentage. That percentage probably goes way up when you filter everyone but the types of people who are most likely to get into fights.

Anyways, point being, if you get into a fight you didn't pick, chances are the guy has training in something or another. Nonetheless, you should always train for the most competent possible opponent.

I didn't yet watch the video, so I'm not criticizing anything that went on. Just saying the excuse that you're not planning to run into thai boxers or the karate kid, isn't reasonable anymore, especially not with the incredible popularity of MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by tigershorty View Post

but if you live in america, and are training for self defense..and not planning to run into thai kickboxers or the karate kid, or maybe train for someone other than that....it might be okay.

Common sense dictates that you train for the WORSE case scenario, not the best case one.

Quote Originally Posted by tigershorty View Post

OK, anyone want to train how to block a based ball bat with thier arm wearing protective gear?

Common sense? that is called Martial entertainment instead of martial art.

For Martial art training why do one want to train something which is problematic in real life application or could screw up one when it becomes a habit or endanger oneself?

What is common sense? that is called stupidity.

What SELF DEFENCE when one could not handle a Kick safely?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-10-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    I didn't yet watch the video, so I'm not criticizing anything that went on. Just saying the excuse that you're not planning to run into thai boxers or the karate kid, isn't reasonable anymore, especially not with the incredible popularity of MMA.
    When I was young and live in asia, there was a time lots of people got interesting ideas after watching HongKong movies on how to defeat or deal with Round Horse kick. Some block it, some do like the clip does, some..... all kind.

But guess what? all of those who think they can do it got themself into trouble. I still remember a guy how trying to a void low round horse kick by bow down....etc and he got knock unconcious in the tournement.

As for blocking the leg, how much one has condition one's leg with herbs and medicine....etc? even if one is conditioning one's leg, one still DONT want to take the kick in and block it. because it is stupid to take a full swing in motion object directly into oneself and testing how hard is oneself or how to deal with the momentum comming in.

once the opponents' motion start, he got the momentum and one needs to have fast acceletion to keep up/deal with that momentum... etc to the worst is to take that momentum fulling while one is at lower motion.

look at those road block which sitting there trying to block the car from get out of the high way, and when the car really hit them, look at what happen.

one step wrong one broke one's leg or one got knock down.

So what is the point? common sense? or practicing Macho-ism with stupidity.

Will that type of WCK works? Forget about it.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-10-2009 at 06:16 AM.

The second video clip, Jones and Chun - not bad.

im not assuming you get to pick who you fight..but youre assuming that something may or may not work because you may run into someone specifically.

i think thats flawed logic.

if they get better and keep practicing..i think that stuff would work against most.
    and handle a kick safely? theyre learning..obviously.
    Last edited by tigershorty; 07-10-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_pasram View Post
    I liked them. Thanks.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

it is very nice to see people practicing and experimenting, please don't take anyone's criticism too seriously or personally. If I may offer some idea's 1) experiment with different leg and arm positions if you must absorb kicks 2) experiment with different distances for the leg gaurd 3) experiment with different timing for example making contact earlier in the kick excecution and outright interception or possibly outright evasion. These aren't critiques just ideas I've played with, honestly everyone does things a bit differently... kudos to you for the vids and sharing!

There is nothing that wrong with the clips, though in the second one they start off WAY TOO far away from each other.
    What is wrong is the assumption that you will face an untrained person in a fight.

since this seems to be a applied WC thread, I'll post these two clips by Chris Blatter. In the context of just getting the technique down , I think they are VERY good examples of using WC. Its pretty clear that the student Chris is working with is just a beginner.. so keep that in mind. This isn't "sparring".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ewFtdgUFrw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzb5eess5u8

What are some old school kicking training?

1.Conditiong shins and legs for impact (Accidents happen)

2.Increasing Kicking power (Heavy bag, Tree or wooden Post)

3.Defense against kicks (How do you drill to defend against kicks)

***Whats the purpose of drilling?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What is wrong is the assumption that you will face an untrained person in a fight.
    and we should all know better than that. i mean thats simple strategy in writting as old as sun tzu
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.