Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: yip kin wing chun

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hung Kuen's Tiet Sien Kuen gives one many a bad habit with its overemphasis on hardness and breaking energy flow with pauses. It is not the constant energy flow as you see in WCK, or the energy taught in many Nei Jia. Compare it with SPM, and you know many gaps in the art."

I have seen it performed that way, and that is also how I was originally taught.
    But..It can also be played with a more constant energy flow, where the pauses are not abrupt, but merely a lessening and moving to go from one transition to another, without break. (Is it better? More refined? Is it even correct for that matter? Who knows?Leung Guan (Tiet Kiu-Saam)Wong Kei-Ying, Wong Fei-Hung, etc are all dead, and many generations have passed.
    Even in WCK there is break between sections of SNT, or CK, or BJ. Breaks before and after huen sao, etc. In SPM, there are breaks, but it can be played without breaks. Sup Bot Dim has no breaks when it is played correctly. Sam Bo Ging also has no breaks when it is played in that manner.(this is our method-playing the set differently, each way, emphasizes a different aspect of the hand)

"And as far as the Sup Yee Ji Kiu Sao go, unfortunately, more of it is lip service."

True. Personally, I feel it was originally meant just as an attempt to put into words, to clarify what should be taught and felt through direct transmission. The words got in the way.
    When you ask my teacher which bridge is which, he responds,
    "I have no idea. My hand just moves"
    But people love to quote it.
    My reason for mentioning it is to show that the hand has many ways to move and to respond to energy.
    Each method can be played many ways-long short, hard, soft, springy,sticky, etc. There is no one single way that is "correct."
    Unfortunately, many Hung-Ga players like to write articles, and quote the sup yi kiu sao and link it to specific movements within TSK; "This is sinking.." etc -rather than saying,"This can be considered one method of applying the concept of sinking.."

"Hung Ga Kuen is more in the realm of the muscular power, as opposed to the soft, structure force of WCK. Its no offence, and not that Hung Kuen is not a great art, but we are speaking of different things here."

I see this in the long bridge large horse type stuff. I do not see this in the short bridge, small horse techniques within the system, where I see a great deal of soft, structural force being played.

WCK's energy is like pumping without release. Hung Kuen is like pumping with a hand pump and having to stop and rest...I hope this analogy is clear....

again, I see this with the large, gross, power movements-"One breath, one strike"
    But it is not evident within the short hand techniques of Hung Kuen in my experience.

I am not arguing that it is the same. Just saying that things aren't black and white.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

-and...I may be completely wrong.
    But, when I met Lam Jo, his hands were like that, and he seems to know what he's doing...
    Last edited by TenTigers; 07-15-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    -and...I may be completely wrong.

mind is a strange thing. It decived one and imprison one but one always trust it.

It is not about right or wrong, it is about describe thing as it is. However, until one sees what it is one cant describe what it is.

basically, you have blind men checking out the elephant. One feels the leg and says it's a tree. One feels the trunk and says it's a snake, one feels the body and says it's a wall. Each man is convinced by their experience of the elephant, that they know the truth.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

basically, you have blind men checking out the elephant. One feels the leg and says it's a tree. One feels the trunk and says it's a snake, one feels the body and says it's a wall. Each man is convinced by their experience of the elephant, that they know the truth.

You know, I once am exactly thinking like you until I met one of my sifu who straighten me out.

after that I have no doubt what is what.
    Certainly, there is a different between no doubt and attain the full kung fu.

These days, most people talks about IMA, Zen, Dao....etc but mostly fuzzy and unclear.
    In Chinese that is called Ning Mo liang Ke or fuzzy and both could be correct . that is a confusion state.

One cant even starts a journey this way. so, how could one expect to have attainment?

In Chinese, it said one needs to find the AAN Xin Lik Min Tze Tsu or the place one can settle one's heart and stood one's life. Until then one is still searching and no progress can be experted.

While one has not find the AAN Xin Lik Min Tze Tsu one is still a wandering person.

In the Six patriach Sutra, it said " Without seeing one's original face, learning all the methods /Dharma is useless." This is because one doesnt know what one is getting into. and everything looks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    You know, I once am exactly thinking like you until I met one of my sifu who straighten me out.

after that I have no doubt what is what.
    yes, but how do you know
    you know what you know?
    You can know you don't know,
    you can not know you don't know,
    you can know you know,
    you can not know you know.
    you know?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

“If I don't know I don't know, I think I know.
    If I don't know I know I know, I think I don't know.”

-R.D. Laing
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

yes, but how do you know
    you know what you know?
    You can know you don't know,
    you can not know you don't know,
    you can know you know,
    you can not know you know.
    you know?

Do you know when do you need to go to bath room for a pee?

I know when I need to go and I dont have to think.

-R.D. Laing

Didnt the western sage teaches " surrender , Let Go and Let God?"

I know when I need to go and I dont have to think.
    "Some come here to sit and think..."

y'all know the rest.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Didnt the western sage teaches " surrender , Let Go and Let God?"
    um, no. That was Alcoholics Anonymous..not exactly sagely advice, but good nonetheless.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Hello all,

A small reply as I am officially on forever lurk mode these days hahaha......

Soft and Hard has NOTHING to do with tension sets or just linking moves for more flow. This is everything to do with Qi cultivation. See, there is a point when the Zheng Qi penetrates into the Bone Marrow which creates the classic: Rou Jing or within soft carries the hard. Once you go thru this process you will know what the classic means regarding Soft Body & Hard!

It is a different form of cultivation. Different systems have their terms for this, as this is not unique to Yik Kam teaching, but the most common is Taiji and Taiji calls this achieved state:

Essential hardness of the bones!

The so-called Boomerang effect of SLT, Sifu Hendrik is talking about, is all about Momentum!!! Yes, Momentum! The return trip must not be choppy but rather have a continuous flow to it.

Ex: The first action you are taught in WC is typcally the lin wan choi punching. Well, most will teach you to punch out and then drop down and then the next punch comes out as the other pulls back.

This is choppy!

Boomerang Ex: The punch needs to have a small or micro circles/arc at the end just before returning back home. This micro circle will make sure the energy flow is not broken and you will not lose precious momentum.

How do you learn this? Snake Qi process! Why? Energy does not flow around hard edges or lines. There is roundness contained within the movements even if it is not noticeable to the outside eye.

See, these aspects are not and cannot be cultivate without the Snake component or artificially thru trying to copy. I have never learned 1 Form or Set from Yik Kam art but I have been quite fortunate to study the internal process of this special system. If you think you can artificially duplicate this stuff I would say think again.

The micro joint cycling and Snake Sliding has one thing that must be kept in mind! That is the frequency that is produces within the body. Each method or art has a certain frequency it produces with these practices. Wing Chun's internal frequency matches the frequency of Emei Snake Qigong. When I trained with the Emei Gatekeeper I was very lucky to experience the same frequency.

This frequency is not duplicated in Taiji, Hsing Yi, Hung Gar, South Mantis etc... NOPE! One of Lum Sang's disciples came with me to train with Fu Wei Zhong and also notice the different frequency. This is the dna signature of internal flow each art has going on!

Basically, the platform of Wing Chun is designed to return the body to the Natural State and Resonance. It is a form of Natural State Boxing. How it achieves the Natural State and Frequency is what makes each art unique! Hendrik never sat me down and specifically taught me this stuff! He knows these qualities will surface from proper practice of the Snake aspects of Yik Kam and this is why Wing Chun was a new paradigm in Chinese boxing technology! It is rooted in two giants of chinese martial and healing arts. Fujian Crane and Emei Snake! """Snake & Crane"""

I have to run!!! Back to lurk mode!

Peace,
    Jim

Jim,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Yik Kam's art.

It is a realization art similar to the Chinese IMA, thus, it is rather difficult to be comprehend. It is like before one knows how the second floor of the mall looks like, one needs to get into the elevator, push the floor intended to get to, then dont think and wait, then, when arrived at the second floor, the door open, and one right a way see how the second floor looks like without a slightly guessing and know without a doubt. it is what it is. That is what I try to communicate with Ten tigers.

Technology process is similar to the elevator. One doesnt guess or think about the second floor of the mall one has never been to. one uses the technology process to get to the second floor. and the second floor will reveal if the technology is proper.

Just to share, and for your reference if you are a member of Yik Kam lineage,
    I did the same with what in Yik Kam's legend told with Jim. Since he already knows WCK from various different lineage of WCK. There is no need for him to learn the Yik Kam SLT form to get start but to give him keys of Yik Kam SLT form and that is first to open up his medirians area or open up his blind spot in his body, and then activate the snake slide cocoon moves, to get him into the Body soft point of contact hard training track. then the boomerang will comes naturally.
    Certainly, there are deeper level one will get into. however, even at the basic level the body handling, power generation.... has travel a different corse.

There is no secret there is no Qi blast but a different way of training and it is not that special either for those who really did TCMA IMA.

On the other hand, if, without lead Jim to the resonance and the freequency or the state, but feed him with form over form, set over set, and lots of kuen kuit saying. That is not going to do the job but create confusion; and doubt and meaningless without live in the art but mimicing something.

It is after one sees the "original face" via the process, then the set and different move comes to live or means something because the sets are desgined for one to investigate different type of possibility. and then only after that the Kuen kuit is meaningfull. Because the Kuen kuit is use to settle one's direction when one face cross road in the training.

Thus, there is no doubt. and thus that is called " entering the door in the old time. "entering the door " doesnt mean one attain the deep kung fu, nope , still far away. But entering the door means one knows the direction.

This is the type of quantitative /qualitative criterions one needs to have in the old time.

But then, not everyone is entering the door. because some might only interested in learning some application or some might never entering the door because they dont havet the neccesary information or teaching........lots of things...
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-16-2009 at 07:02 AM.

-R.D. Laing
    Rik,

Regarding the Blind Man and the elephant quote - the man who can see can certainly see the whole elephant.

And as for RD Laing's quote above, I have two for you:

"Don't put Descartes before the Source"

and

"Psychoanalysis - that is the problem!"

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Rik,

"Don't put Descartes before the Source"

“Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent.”
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.