Thread: Ancient Egyptian Martial Arts

Hybrid View

Syre Guest

Ancient Egyptian Martial Arts

Someone was asking about the origin of martial arts, and we have a topic "Indian Martial Arts" which has links to some videos of what looks like a proto-martial art from India (and as we know, the Indian martial arts were possibly brought to the Shaolin Temple by Bodhidarma).

So here are some links for Egyptian martial arts:

Some articles:

http://www.hiddendragon.com/articles/Egyptian.html
    http://www.hiddendragon.com/articles/Egypt2.html

A tomb painting of 'boxing':

http://www.sis.gov.eg/egyptinf/histo...l/sports07.htm

More info on sports in ancient Egypt, including locations of paintings, etc.

http://www.ioa.leeds.ac.uk/1980s/84085.htm

Sharky Guest
    that's cool

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

JerryLove Guest
    Thanks for the links, let me take the opportunity to state categorically that MARTIAL ARTS DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE ORIGIN except the tendancy of ****nids to fight.

http://www.clearsilat.com

bustr Guest

re

Thanks for the links Syre!

Beni Hassan Tomb, Egypt, 2000 BC
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

yeah it's cool. Like a wrestling manual.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah I don't see any striking either.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

ya thats cool. starts with clinching up, you see some ground and pounding, taking the back, leg sweeps, hip tosses....etc.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Yeah I don't see any striking either.
    Could it be Egyptian salsa?

"Weapons of the Pharaohs"

I'm not in this week's episode but please support our show. We want to get renewed. I'll be back in the next two episodes.

Man at Arms: Art of War does Ancient Egyptian Martial Arts
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tune in, turn on & stay sharp!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tahteeb

Here's a new one on me.

OCTOBER 4, 2017 / 3:25 AM / 2 DAYS AGO
    From death to no-contact, ancient martial art revived in Egypt
    Reuters Staff
    2 MIN READ

Zayed Abd El Naiem and Masry Abd El Fatha dance with their 'El Nabout' canes as they perform Tahteeb, an ancient form of martial arts and dance, in Sohag, Egypt, September 19, 2017. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

Sohag, EGYPT (Reuters) - Turn the clock back just over half a century and a contest between two men in the ancient Egyptian martial art of tahteeb could see the loser injured, or even killed.

Today however, striking is no longer permitted in this form of stick-fighting, references to which were discovered written inside ancient Egyptian tombs.

In the city of Sohag which lies on the banks of Nile in central Egypt, one martial arts school is working to keep the ancient sport alive.

“Long ago, this game was violent, and about 60 or 70 years ago, it was similar to fighting games, because that was the era known as one of manhood,” said Sabry Mohamed, who founded the International Centre for Tahteeb in 2012.

Tahteeb requires a great deal of skill and control, and there are rules which govern how to hold the stick and the kinds of blows permitted, some of which were aimed to be deadly before the martial art became a no-contact discipline.

Sabry has set his sights on organizing international championships for the martial art.

“We can make use of tahteeb by forming an international body that can organize international championships and we’ll benefit from this a great deal, monetarily, and also by spreading our culture and heritage to other people.”

Reporting by Abd Mohamed El-Ghany; Writing by Mark Hanrahan in London; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Hikuta

Wondering about so called Egyptian martial art Hikuta.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com