Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect towards a Master

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    all beings are created equal... if i call someone else a master, i am denying the master in myself.

...OR acknowledging a peer.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Brown Bunny for the win !
    LOL !

Ahhh, it's always good to recognize a kindred spirit!
    Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    ...OR acknowledging a peer.
    I always acknowledge a pair. or more

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Ahhh, it's always good to recognize a kindred spirit!
    Some of Chloe's best work, LMAO !!!

all beings are created equal... if i call someone else a master, i am denying the master in myself.
    some would say that until you drop the master in yourself you will never be master of yourself

It is good practice to show respect to everyone, but if you are paying hard cash to be taught something, there is no reason to show appreciation otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by esox View Post
    some would say that until you drop the master in yourself you will never be master of yourself
    people say all kinds of silly things.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Some of Chloe's best work, LMAO !!!

I forgot about Brown Bunny 'till you mentioned it.

I wonder if it's out in BlueRay...?
    Last edited by IronWeasel; 07-18-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: sp
    Quote:

people say all kinds of silly things.
    just what I thought

I think the term "Master" refers more to the material they have learned as opposed to any type of mastery over you. Would you object to refering to someone as "John Smith, Master of Kung Fu"? That's rather long but I think it would satisfy your religious requirements.

Let me ask, when you go to the doctor is it against your religion to call him/her "Dr. Smith"? I don't see any difference here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinstudent View Post
    I want to learn various styles of gong fu like: Shaolin, Lungying, Wing Chun, Baji just to name a few. But it is against my faith to bow to a man (or a woman) or to call them "Master"! Now does anyone think they would sympathize with my situation and make me the exception and allow me to call them laoshi (teacher), instead of sifu (master). Or hit me with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique and call it a day?

Please respond I don't want to die without learning some gong fu styles!
    Sifu is Father/Teacher.

Master is a title bestowed upon a dedicated practitioner by a group of his peers.

You mentioned all those styles above and you could spend a whole lifetime to Master one technique from just one of those styles.

Find a good teacher and beg him to teach you then once he has taught you maintain a bond with him and always treat him with respect. Americans always wanna dine and dash learning martial art.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I want to learn various styles of gong fu like: Shaolin, Lungying, Wing Chun, Baji just to name a few. But it is against my faith to bow to a man (or a woman) or to call them "Master"! Now does anyone think they would sympathize with my situation and make me the exception and allow me to call them laoshi (teacher), instead of sifu (master). Or hit me with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique and call it a day?

Please respond I don't want to die without learning some gong fu styles!
    If you did military service would you salute your superior officer?

When you were in school did you not defer to your teachers and behave according to the rules of the school in regards to respecting your teachers?

In other words, the only barriers to be created are being created by you.

Where in your religious teachings does it directly tell you that following the protocols of a school is bad? How do you treat your parents? How do you treat your other teachers?

Also, "sifu" doesn't translate or transliterate as "master" it translates as "teacher/father". Teacher being first and the relationship further defined as an extended family type situation.

anyway, if you are so devoutly religious, why learn a martial art, should you be out helping the homeless, feeding the hungry and suffering unto the children?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If you did military service would you salute your superior officer?

When you were in school did you not defer to your teachers and behave according to the rules of the school in regards to respecting your teachers?

In other words, the only barriers to be created are being created by you.

Where in your religious teachings does it directly tell you that following the protocols of a school is bad? How do you treat your parents? How do you treat your other teachers?

Also, "sifu" doesn't translate or transliterate as "master" it translates as "teacher/father". Teacher being first and the relationship further defined as an extended family type situation.

anyway, if you are so devoutly religious, why learn a martial art, should you be out helping the homeless, feeding the hungry and suffering unto the children?
    My church does all that, but not that or my faith stops me or says I can not learn a martial art.

My church does all that,
    He didn't say anything about your church. He said YOU should be out there.

In any case, as I have said, refering to someone as "Master" recognizes their mastery of the art. It no way implies a social pecking order.

I'm curious.....what religion has a problem with this?

My church does all that, but not that or my faith stops me or says I can not learn a martial art.

Oh...but I think it DOES.
    Quote: