Thread: Northern Shaolin Sword book & it's techniques

Question Northern Shaolin Sword book & it's techniques

This book by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming is thought of highly by some and I have heard many good things about this book. Does anyone own it, is it worth the price, does it show the applications to the forms, does it show other sword technique like: how to grip the sword, basic attacks with a sword, some history, etc. Would anyone recommend me to buy this book.

P.S. anyone know any other good books on Shaolin gong fu along with applications of the forms.

Reading some of your other posts, you have a lot of very good questions, unfortunately your going to have little success finding the answers in books. You need to seek a qualified instructor to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinstudent View Post
    This book by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming is thought of highly by some and I have heard many good things about this book. Does anyone own it, is it worth the price, does it show the applications to the forms, does it show other sword technique like: how to grip the sword, basic attacks with a sword, some history, etc. Would anyone recommend me to buy this book.

P.S. anyone know any other good books on Shaolin gong fu along with applications of the forms.
    I think I own this book, but it is in storage. I believe, if i remember correctly, that yes is the answer to all of your questions. I will see if I can find it and confirm my memory, but it could take a week or so since the book is in storage.

Dr Yang's stuff ticks all those boxes. However, it's hard to understand the transitions from the books. However, he is in the process of putting all his stuff out on DVD, and the sword DVDs do look really good. There are details and trailers on his site

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/e...ental_training
    http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/e...d_applications
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk