Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My student wins his first Sanda match!!

My student wins his first Sanda match!!

This is his first ever Sanda match. Competing at the Legends of Kung Fu tournament here in Dallas. This is the 130# weight class. He only had one opponent, but I think he did well.

We do need to work on him dipping his head and maybe more work on boxing. I am pretty happy with his take downs though. And he rooted himself pretty well and reversed when he was being taken down.

I was really worried about his first tourney. I think I was more nervous that he was.

He is the guy in black headgear and white shin pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvTQIMLPfEg
    Last edited by xcakid; 07-20-2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

congrats, always better to go out and try than to sit in the bleechers!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

THANKS!!

We had a couple of more training but this tourney was expensive and they could not afford it.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

honestly, you deserve a better event and not to be ripped off, sanshou/san da is in a bad state these days
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

wow this got youtubed?

your studnets opponent was robert kimes, my classmate from david chins school. I am the Chinese guy who was working the corner with Robert Bradley. You can see my sifu walk by at the beginning of the clip.
    Last edited by htowndragon; 07-20-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Who is the guy with the white hair and goatee? I've seen him ref tournaments in Ohio and Kentucky and this happens in Texas. That guy gets around.

Congrats to your student.

That's Sifu Mike Barry. He's been around awhile and has always supported the competetive fighting aspects of kung fu, he's usually one of the head referees or arbitrators in alot of the tourneys up and down the east.

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    your studnets opponent was robert kimes, my classmate from david chins school. I am the Chinese guy who was working the corner with Robert Bradley. You can see my sifu walk by at the beginning of the clip.
    Oh wow, I wish I knew that. Did you compete? Would've been nice to meet you guys properly.

He had my guy running with the flurry of punches. I kept telling my guy to quit dipping his head. Luckily the upper cut did not come

My guy even got warned for running.

I paid for the "video pass", an extra $40 to be able to film the event, with the exception of Masters Demo.

However, I saw quite a few folks without the pass filming it. No one ever came up and said anything to them. I feel cheated.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Congrats! What gear were you wearing? Is there a specific brand that is accepted at these tournaments and not used elsewhere? What brand and type headgear, chestgear, gloves and shinguards were used?
    I don't want to buy several different types of gear, and it wouldn't be fair to ask my students to. It's hard enough to keep costs down as you pointed out.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    no time to watch it all but the good job!

nice couple of throws

but, what was the 'hold your sword' comment all about???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

nice post!

Speaking of gear, weren't you cornering that heavyweight fighter towards the end too, xcakid? Got any footage of that?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Congrats! What gear were you wearing? Is there a specific brand that is accepted at these tournaments and not used elsewhere? What brand and type headgear, chestgear, gloves and shinguards were used?
    I don't want to buy several different types of gear, and it wouldn't be fair to ask my students to. It's hard enough to keep costs down as you pointed out.
    yea, it sux too when you show up w/ gear that is better and safer than the gear the tournament makes them wear... the GLT was totally fine but the local guys in charlotte insist on the TC2000 gloves for Lei tai and they are about as useless as teats on a bull.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

As far as gear, that was one of the biggest complaints I have with this tournament. They changed the glove size like 3 times. Last change being 1.5wks before the tournament.

What is standard is:
    Boxing headgear, no specific brand, but no light contact(foam dipped) head gear.
    Boxing gloves. Each tourney have their own requirement. If you have 14-16oz you should be good. We got ours from Title Boxing.
    Shin pads. Again no light contact foam dipped kind.
    Mouth piece and cup of course.
    Some tourneys require chest protector. Again no foam dipped gear. My guy used the Kwon chest protector. They run about $40.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Speaking of gear, weren't you cornering that heavyweight fighter towards the end too, xcakid? Got any footage of that?
    Yeah. I met that dude at one of the open tournaments we go to. I think it was just him and his friend there and he just asked me to corner him. I did not get any footage of it though.