Thread: Pulling up the right and left anus, perineum, pulling energy?

Pulling up the right and left anus, perineum, pulling energy?

I watched a video on Iron Shirt Qi Gong where the teacher told his students to pull up the right and left anus. He also told the students to pull energy into the dan tien

How can you pull up your anus? I can squeeze it, is that it...I can't pull up the right and left seperately.

Also, how do I pull energy into the dan tian? What energy? How do I pull it? Is this all visual mind over matter stuff?

Pulling up the anus is the same thing as doing keggels. It is what occurs when you hold your urine only with practice it can be done quite forcefully. It is not very difficult. Pulling up the right or left can be done, but it takes some practice. Just like everything else in life.

I'm not sure what they mean by "pulling" energy into the tan tien. You can locate it there through visualization and this can be enhanced by reverse breathing which creates the sensation of energy in your tan tien, but it is nothing more than the lower abdominal muscles being used.

what is reverse breathing?

Abdominal breathing is when your lower abdomen extends on inhalation and contracts upon exhalation.

Reverse breathing is when your lower abdomen contracts on inhalation, and extends upon exhalation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Abdominal breathing is when your lower abdomen extends on inhalation and contracts upon exhalation.

Reverse breathing is when your lower abdomen contracts on inhalation, and extends upon exhalation.
    in a more global sense: "regular" breathing is when, as the respiratory diaphragm contracts (descends), the anterior abdominal wall moves anteriorly (bulges out) and the pelvic floor moves inferiorly (down); w/"reverse" breathing, the anterior abdominal wall either does not move, or actually moves posteriorly (sucks in), and the pelvic floor either does not move down or actually raises slightly;

the net effect of "reverse" breathing is to actually increase the excursion of the rib cage during the second part of respiratory diaphragm contraction: during the first phase, the central part of RD (which is shaped like a parachute) descends until it hits up against the topmost contents of the abdominal cavity (liver, stomach, etc.); when the central portion has enough relative stability, it stops descending and acts as a base for the peripheral fibers to contract, which have the effect of elevating / flaring the rib cage; the amount of available excursion of the secondary part of the contraction is pretty much dependent on how stable the central portion is; so, if you allow bulging of the anterior wall of the abdomen, then as the RD descends, the base on top of which it rests, the guts, keeps moving away from it, so the RD cannot engage the peripheral fibers as soon or as robustly; conversely, if you restrict the anterior motion of the abdominal wall, as well as "flex" pelvic floor, you not only limit the degree to which the abdominal contents can descend, you also create increased intra abdominal pressure - all of which increases the degree of resistance to the central tendon descending, giving it increased support earlier into the inhalation phase - this then gives the peripheral fibers more range and more support to elevate the ribs, resulting in a more "powerful" inhalation; which also tends to create more pressure / stimulation to the sympathetic chain, which are the ganglia of the sympathetic nervous system that run bilaterally along the antereo-lateral aspects of the thoracic vertebra, and are the ganglia that mediate sympathetic response (fight/flight), which would explain at least in part why "pushing" this sort of reverse breathing can get someone jazzed up, and hence the whole bit in yoga about "fire" breathing or why in many qigong martial practices, you breathe this way; also, in the classical practice of opening the microcosmic orbit, you have this, albeit not as forced...

I thought I said that, LOL!!

The end result is you will feel pressure and/or heat in your tan tien.

I thought I said that, LOL!!
    you did; I just said it MORE

The end result is you will feel pressure and/or heat in your tan tien.
    you can feel that from a lot of things...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    you did; I just said it MORE
    And you did a very good job of it too!

you can feel that from a lot of things...
    That may be more information than I want thank you!

And you did a very good job of it too!
    I just lu-u-uuuuve that tasty salad!

That may be more information than I want thank you!
    well it's more than you deserve, that's for certain!

well it's more than you deserve, that's for certain!
    LOL!!!!

There is one in every crowd, but in our crowd, EVERYONE IS ONE!!

LOL!!!!

There is one in every crowd, but in our crowd, EVERYONE IS ONE!!
    I think that, if the CDC / Public Health authorities ever got wind of "our crowd", you'd see a highly concerted move towards mandatory sterilization...

I think that, if the CDC / Public Health authorities ever got wind of "our crowd", you'd see a highly concerted move towards mandatory sterilization...
    You mean it ISN'T mandatory NOW?????

Oh, Oh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scott r. Brown View Post
    you mean it isn't mandatory now?????

Oh, oh!!!
    roflmao...