Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Pajamas

Kung Fu Pajamas

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel they really need to GO.

IMHO, they just look so goofy on people who are supposedly striving to be legitimate martial artists. Whats the point of them? Most of the ones people wear are poorly made, poorly fitted, improper for legitimate training, and just plain ridiculous. And even if they were all high quality, I honestly feel they make kung fu look like a joke.

To illustrate my point:
    Ugh
    Ugh 2
    Ugh 3
    Ugh 4

I just don't think they have any place in a studio that promises legitimate training.
    [/endrant]

What would you recommend a person wear when training gung fu? I wear shorts mostly, but sometimes I wear loose fitting pants. You need to wear something all the time that gives you freedom of movement.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    who gives a rat's what people wear?
    Most people train in t-shirts and lantern pants, or sweats or shorts. The pj's are usually for demos.
    They were never intended for training.
    It's pretty obvious.
    sheesh.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

You'd hate what I wear. Usually some battered t-shirt from the flea markets of China and ripped up sport pants from Walmart, or maybe it was Kmart long ago, something like that. Works for wushu, don't know about you.

Having started BJJ, I have to wear a gi in there (most days). I've never had to wear a gi in any training environment before. The person who invented that thing should be taken out back and shot. It is the most impractical garment imaginable for MA.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

What would you recommend a person wear when training gung fu? I wear shorts mostly, but sometimes I wear loose fitting pants. You need to wear something all the time that gives you freedom of movement.
    Normal workout clothes, pretty much. They're way cheaper, usually more durable, easily washed and easily put on.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    who gives a rat's what people wear?
    Most people train in t-shirts and lantern pants, or sweats or shorts. The pj's are usually for demos.
    They were never intended for training.
    It's pretty obvious.
    sheesh.
    I've been to quite a few kung fu schools out here that require them when training :|

Its not that uncommon either. I've seen it on plenty of websites while looking for schools around the country.

And sure, they can wear their kung fu pajamas whenever they want, its not my business. It just comes off as ridiculous to me.

Usually if a place requires them for anything other than demos, it`s just because the school owner is making money selling them. If they require them they usually require that it`s the kind they conveniently sell, not just anything that might pass for traditional.

Thats generally how it is.

Not to mention how they're exploiting the mystique and culture of kung fu to entice students that wouldn't normally practice martial arts.

Blog Entries
    I wish there was a JKD school that required its students to all wear the bumble bee track outfit. Do you know how insanely cool that would be?

On the other end, I think it's pretty hilarious that some Shaolin schools require students to wear monk outfits. I'd need to wear a long haired white wig w/eyebrow extensions with that, tho.

Seriously tho, I've never been much of a fan for the Chinese designs for martial arts wear. Our uniform now is our black t-shirt w/logo, black sweats, and when it's cold, our top is our black track jacket (American Apparel) with logo. While it doesn't quite satisfy the traditional cultural experience for some, the clothes do say the words "Kung-Fu" somewhere, so there's some comfort in that. I guess. Oh, and there's a yin-yang in there, too. That helps.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

On that subject, can anyone tell me the reason for kung fu shoes?

Sure, you don't want to track in dirt or anything into your training area, but then again, you're never going to fight with them on.

Boxers train with their shoes of differing weights and designs because they fight with them on. When the hell is anyone going to fight with those slippery, light kung fu shoes on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYgqZECK-Ro

cotton is what I wear.

any sneakers with good soles.

shoes with poor quality got worn pretty quickly.

actually, we used to be bear chest/back, when I practiced in high school in Taipei, Taiwan in 1970s.

why? it was always hot and humind in the summer.

you sweated even just standing in the practice ground. so any t-shirt will be soaked with sweat fairly soon.

I also had a kung fu towel and bucket of water.

why? I needed a big towel to wipe off the sweat from my body and head.

a cool bucket of water to soak the sweat towel and ringe dry to be re-used.

guess what the towel was worn off easily, too.

so

cotton really cuts it for me.

--

Blog Entries
    I think the Ninja Tabi Boots are made of the same stuff. Perhaps it is to be a Silent But Deadly Kung-Fu Assassin.

Pajamas and slippers as the outfit. You could go straight to bed after practice, and then wake up and practice some more.

Big fan of wrestling shoes for practice. Not that Feiyue stuff (Sorry Gene).
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Thats generally how it is.

Not to mention how they're exploiting the mystique and culture of kung fu to entice students that wouldn't normally practice martial arts.
    is that a bad thing? I don't see how.

As far as shoes go, I require a separate pair of sneakers, or wrestling boots. I don't want someone tracking outside dirt onto my floor, where people's faces will be. When we put down the new zebra mats, I will probably require feyues because the gum rubber sole won't wear out the surface.
    The slippers are useless. If you buy them so they're comfortable, they will loosen up and fly off your feet. If you buy them tight, your toes crunch up. The brown rubber sole has sharp edges, and there is no traction.

We require uniforms as well-t-shirt and lantern pants.
    Neat, ironed and laundered.
    I want my students working, sweating and hitting, but I don't want my school to look like a rag-tag bunch of db's.
    I want people to walk into my school and feel that they're in a serious, professional, traditional training hall. I don't run a gym, I run a Mo-Kwoon.

I happen to wear a frog button uniform. The pants are the same as my students, but I wear a traditional top. Why? Because I want no mistaking who is the instructor when a person walks in.Plain and simple.
    Uniforms create a mindset and atmosphere. It creates a feeling of belonging, and being part of a team. That is why there are sports team uniforms, and also why they are worn in the military. It creates cohesiveness.
    We also line up, bow in, train in ranks, say ,"Yes Sir!" and stand at attention.
    This creates a group energy that you can feel. Along with that, it uses principles of NLP. The way you stand, hold yourself, and use your voice will affect how you feel about yourself.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel they really need to GO.

IMHO, they just look so goofy on people who are supposedly striving to be legitimate martial artists. Whats the point of them? Most of the ones people wear are poorly made, poorly fitted, improper for legitimate training, and just plain ridiculous. And even if they were all high quality, I honestly feel they make kung fu look like a joke.
    [/endrant]
    Kungfu zhuang, or Tang Zhuang, (Kungfu clothing), is a tradition which is
    good to upkeep.

The photos shown are... funny... real funny even to a Chinese (me).
    Those clothing, are meant for performance (hence the shiny material and bright
    colors). No doubt they are quality and some are real silk.

IMHO they are suppose to look this way: click here
    Scroll through the page to see big pics of how it looks like. I have one set, and its not expensive, i believe its in China RMB.

(BTW i am not promoting for the site, i do not gain anything from this. I just want to show the pictures, and on the site it says i am not suppose to reproduce the pictures, so i have to put the link)
    Last edited by -木叶-; 07-27-2009 at 03:11 AM.
    "In fighting, the hand you can see will not hurt you, the hand you cannot see, will hurt you." - Grandmaster Gary Lam

if you want to look like real authentic kung fu make your manchu shirt out of rough blue fabric and sprinkle dirt on it and dont eat for a few days

i think "kung fu costume" represents the homersexualization of chinese martial arts

just searching boxer rebel on google u can see exactly what kung fu people wore

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/asstd/boxer3.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erSoldiers.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_tianjing.jpg

they look nothing like silk pjamas theyre jst normal clothing for farmers
    Last edited by bawang; 07-27-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC