Thread: Voltron

Voltron

Voltron always reminds me of RZA's line about him and the Wu.
    Japanese cult hit "Voltron" heads to big screen (Reuters)
    Source: Reuters Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:26 pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The producers behind "Get Smart" and "The International" have acquired the rights to make a live-action feature based on the Japanese robot-lion property "Voltron."

Based on Japanese anime properties Beast King GoLion and Kikou Kantai Dairugger XV, "Voltron" features a "Transformers"-like conceit, in which a band of five robot-lions combine to form one super lion. A group of five pilots control the lions, which are charged with defending the planet Arus from villain King Zarkon, who dispatches evil creatures called Robobeats to fight the Voltron robots.

"Voltron" aired on U.S. television in 1984 and 1985. Since then, the property has remained a favorite in diverse communities, from the fanboy to the hip-hop worlds.

"It's undeniably impressive that Voltron has sustained itself globally for a quarter of a century," said Charles Roven, who will produce with his Atlas Entertainment partners Richard Suckle and Steve Alexander.

Atlas acquired the rights from World Events Prods., a St. Louis-based company that distributed the TV adaptation in the United States. The family-owned firm never made a feature from the title but did reboot an animated series in the 1990s. New editions of the comic were also published several years ago by the indie label Devil's Due.

"Wanted" producer Jason Netter of Kickstart Entertainment and World Events' Ted Koplar are joining the Atlas trio in producing.

"Voltron" has not yet been set up at a studio. Atlas has a production deal with Sony, which like other studios has been seeking a fresh action tentpole to rival Paramount's "Transformers" mega-franchise.

The success of "Transformers" has revived interest around Hollywood in similar projects. Warners, for instance, is already moving forward on "Robotech," another robot-and-alien tale based on a 1980's television series. (It's likely that "Voltron" would blend in computer-generated robots with live action in the manner of the Michael Bay hits).

In describing the property, Koplar compared it favorably to "Transformers, saying that "unlike other robotic action movies, 'Voltron' is the personification of the human spirit, a quality that will set this movie apart."

"Voltron" previously spent several years in development with Mark Gordon, the producer of action-drama hits such as "The Patriot" and "Saving Private Ryan."

(Editing by DeanGoodman at Reuters)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i am going to see this. i grew up on Voltron. maybe then i will know how the dragon ball people felt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Forget Voltron

It's all about Megabot this August. Warning: language NSFW.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'll say this, it's perfectly do-able and in fact... has been done in live action, repeatedly. For like YEARS. The Power Rangers was essentially Voltron with kung fu.

Definitely interested in seeing the Real McCoy though.

Voltron was great until they got rid of Sven and made the princess one of the lion pilots, then was a retarded sub-plot that pervaded the rest of the cartoon about prince Lothar always trying to capture her and force her to marry him and such drivel. I always felt like the lion Voltron was a bit of a spin-off of G-force.
    I also liked the lesser known Voltron that was made from a cellection of space cars and ships. I don't know why they stopped showing that one alltogether.

One cartoon/anime that I think would be a cool live action and can be pulled off is Galaxy Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    i grew up on Voltron.
    Me too.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Yes, both versions were fun. I'll be looking forward to this latest edition.

Let's hope they don't screw it up with a nuMetal soundtrack and everyone wearing black (*cough* GI Joe).
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts

This is one I will totally go and watch. How could anyone not love Voltron?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura