Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Breastaurants

Bombshells

There are more pix but mostly of food.

Bombshells to add fourth Houston-area sports bar
    By Syd Kearney Published 8:44 am, Thursday, March 10, 2016

Photo: Eric Christian Smith, For The Chronicle

Bombshells, the military themed sports bar chain, announced this week plans to open a fourth Houston-area location on U.S. 290 near Blalock.
    When it opens in later this year, it will be the sixth Bombshells location for RCI Hospitality, the Texas-based leader in gentleman's clubs and sports bars.
    Surrounded by flat screen TVs, the Bombshell Girls wear military-inspired uniforms and serve manly portions of comfort fare.
    What sets Bombshells apart from other "breastaurants" is its emphasis on live music. Big outdoor patios provide the stage for local bands.

Bombshells
    Webster: 803 E. NASA, 281-286-2662
    Gulf Freeway: 12810 I-45, 281-484-3279
    Spring: 21005 I-45 N., 281-2882769
    Coming soon: 14191 U.S. 290
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I could've sworn I posted this somewhere on this forum already

No worries. It bears repeating...

Chinese Boxing Bar Has Girls in Bikinis in Their Own 'Fight Club'

This bar shows off fights. That sounds different! But wait! It doesn't end there! A boxing-themed establishment is now offering every day patrons to step in the ring to beat each other up. The bar celebrated its opening by inviting bikini-clad models to take a jab at each other in the ring.

Will this marketing work?

Or is this some kind of a show?

The bar allows anyone to get into some gloves and jump in the ring.

It's like a fight club you talk about, and one that's with gloves!

Check out a couple more pictures below:

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Half-naked models cause quite the stir by showing off their painted breasts at Shanghai bike expo

The 26th China International Bicycle and Motor Fair was held at the National Exhibition and Convention Center in Shanghai last weekend, but for some reason everyone seemed much more focused on the half-naked models with painted boobs, rather than the actual exhibition itself.
    A series of photos featuring three of the models undressing at the expo have surfaced online, prompting some heated discussion among netizens. While changing outfits, one of the models attempted to cover herself by holding a blanket in front of her chest. Meanwhile, another model simply stood with her bare back to the crowd, while a group of overly-curious onlookers snapped pictures.

Later, the models were also seen roaming around the exhibition half-naked, with just a layer of paint concealing their breasts. It turns out that painted boobies don't only work for selling cars, but bikes as well.

Of course, last year, Shanghai Auto Show organizers banned half-naked models from its high-class event, hoping to redirect people's attention to the real star of the show, the cars. The bike expo seems to be taking a different route.
    By Katie Ngai
    [Images via Sina]
    What does changing outfits mean in the context of painted boobs? Repainting?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hong Kong Hooters

24/08/2016 Wed 11:50 in Hong Kong by Angel Tang
    Hooters Hong Kong: not a ‘breastaurant’

When Hooters Hong Kong announced its opening early last week on Facebook with this hashtag – “#weareopen”! – its Facebook fans, especially those who had been staying attentive to its updates, almost instantly tagged their friends to alert each other about the opening.

With no billboard advertisements, no outdoor campaigns, the Facebook announcement alone attracted queues outside its Central outlet every day in the first week of operations.

The American restaurant chain, best-known for the appealing and buxom female servers in skimpy outfits, has had more than 7,000 fans “like” its official page on social media by sharing photos of its eye-catching hooters girls since it established the account last year.

However, Mike Warde, general manager of Hooters Hong Kong, would rather credit all the attention it has had to the “international positioning” the restaurant has established.

“The high-standard product and service that we are offering is what raises the customers’ expectations,” he told Marketing.

He said social media was so far the only promotional channel, but new campaigns were underway. In an interview with the South China Morning Post, he insisted Hooters is not a “breastaurant”, but “a family-oriented, fun-loving, entertainment outlet”.

Well, apparently we all focus on the chicken wings.

Three weeks ago, the brand invited local media to its launch event, encouraging them to alert their readers with live recordings of the hooters girls’ dances, which in turn, successfully stirred up hot discussions on online forums.

As videos of dancing Hooters girls went viral on the web, people have been clinging to the restaurant’s opening date; and the announcement made last week was met with much excitement from its fans.

Hooters Hong Kong will be one of 30 branches that Bangkok-based Destinations Resorts will be bringing to Asia on behalf of Hooters Asia. Other outlets include the Philippines, Phnom Penh and Singapore.
    Warde acts as if breastaurants are a bad thing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Not a breastaurant. A breastaurjewelrystore.

Jewelry Store Under Fire After Making Worker Sell Diamonds Topless
    By Carl Samson Posted on September 27, 2016

A jewelry store in China is getting flak for letting one of its attendants go naked in the name of sales.

The clip uploaded to ku6.com shows a half-naked saleslady standing before the store’s goods. She was wearing a pair of diamond-shaped nipple pasties and what looked like an improvised skirt.

The scene got even more awkward when the lady realized she was being filmed.

Netizens were outraged at the company, Chow Luk Fook, for having the employee pull such a stunt. Meanwhile, others joked asking whether all store branches offered such a sight.

Commenters at Facebook expressed:

“Cheap.”

“The shop owner should be ashamed.”

“So pathetic. Its [shop] sales are so poor that it can’t even afford buying uniforms for staff.”

Yet this was not the first time Chow Luk Fook has allowed this kind of promotion, Apple Daily said. One Shenzhen store that opened in November 2013 had half-naked models whose bodies were painted.

The company operates in Hong Kong and mainland China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not a breastaurant

Fake news.

Bombshells: We’re not a ‘breastaurant’
    By Lisa Fickenscher December 27, 2016 | 9:47am | Updated

Handout

Bombshells wants to bust out.

Management of the four-unit Houston-based restaurant and bar wants to take its military-themed concept — and its scantily clad waitresses and ice-cold beer — on a cross-country tear that could result in as many as 100 new franchised locations opening in the next five years.

The timing of the move would appear to be perfect.

While revenue of Bombshells grew 6 percent in the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, it spiked 10.5 percent in the fourth quarter.

The momentum appears to have shareholders upbeat.

Shares of RCI Hospitality, which owns Bombshells as well as a host of adult-friendly nightclubs and cabarets, have increased nearly 40 percent since the presidential election through Dec. 23, to $15.95.

This is all good news for RCI brass — but don’t start referring to their Bombshells chain as just another so-called “breastaurant,” the name for a burger and beer joint with scantily clad waitresses, like Twin Peaks and Hooters.

Management would rather you think of the family-friendly Dave & Buster’s as their inspiration — never mind the ammo belts hanging from its servers’ shoulders and the cleavage-baring zippered tops.

Bombshells’ waitresses wear military-themed gear.Handout

“It is not a so-called ‘breastaurant,’ ” insisted spokesman Gary Fishman.

OK, we won’t mention that the staff is encouraged to sidle up to customers or that they have to sign an employment contract that allows the restaurant to say what lipstick colors are acceptable and require them to wear their hair down.

To be sure, the WWII-themed eatery is trying to tap into the family crowd by hosting Little League gatherings and the like in a way that its breastaurant peers are not, say industry watchers.

“It’s drawing people in at lunch and going all the way to 2 a.m.,” said Frank Camma, a retail analyst at Sidoti, who notes that Bombshells attracts more women than Hooters. “It has cross-appeal.”

RCI Hospitality operates more than 40 gentlemen’s clubs, including jiggle joint Rick’s Cabaret in Manhattan, Jaguars, Tootsies Cabaret and XTC.

Among all the RCI brands, it is the 3-year-old Bombshells that is being groomed for growth.

RCI recently poached Shannon Glaser, a franchising expert from the Twin Peaks chain. Glaser helped her former employer win acclaim as the fastest-growing restaurant chain over the past several years.

At a time when the restaurant industry is experiencing anemic growth and buzz, and phrases like “restaurant recession” have crept into the lexicon, RCI — and Bombshells in particular — seems to be bucking the trend.

“I think overall the election is turning out to be very, very, very positive for us so far,” Bombshells Chief Executive Eric Langan told Wall Street in a recent conference call.

“We think the franchising and growth of this concept will greatly enhance shareholder value, and [we] view Bombshells as a buried ‘gem,’ ” Camma wrote in a report.

The company doesn’t even think those skimpy Bombshells outfits go too far.

“Our uniform is like a cheerleader outfit,” director of operations David Simmons offered.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

China is beginning to have some similar issues with obesity like America. This is marketing that might well backfire.

Chinese restaurant gives discounts to women based on their breast size, G-cup gets 65 percent off
    Scott Wilson 22 hours ago

The Internet had a couple of things to say about this.

China is no stranger to enticing customers to restaurants based on their physical appearance. We’ve seen Chinese restaurants charge people less based on how thin they are and even eat for free if they’re beautiful enough.

And continuing that tradition, one Chinese restaurant named Chaoxia (translated as “Trendy Shrimp”) in Hangzhou City in Zhejian Province recently made news for their own special cost-reduction program: giving discounts to women based on their breast size.

▼ “Someone go with me to eat at Chaoxia lol”

Weibo/四毛1016

It’s a little hard to tell what’s going on in the above image showing the outside of the restaurant, but here’s the breakdown:

A-cup gets 5 percent off
    B-cup gets 15 percent off
    C-cup gets 25 percent off
    D-cup gets 35 percent off
    E-cup gets 45 percent off
    F-cup gets 55 percent off
    G-cup gets 65 percent off

According to the restaurant, the campaign was very successful, and brought in a lot more female customers, with the average discount being 20 percent.

However, as soon as word about the promotion started to spread, the restaurant received negative feedback. Those against the promotion claimed that it was insulting to women, and was even against advertising law in China. The campaign was shut down by authorities after only three days.

Here’s how Chinese netizens reacted online:

“Judging people based on breast size is humiliating. This is vulgar.”
    “How awful, putting some at a disadvantage due to their breast size.”
    “Yet another brainless restaurant.”
    “How did they judge the breast size anyway? With their hands?”

For those also wondering, the “breast size judgment” was performed by female staff at the restaurant, and they used only their eyes to estimate. If the customer disagreed with their assessment, then they could just tell them their breast size. So long as it wasn’t a painfully obvious lie, the restaurant would just accept whatever they said.

While this was all probably little more than a publicity stunt that the restaurant knew would get shut down pretty quickly, it was a pretty successful one at that. It’s probably only a matter of time before we see a restaurant in Japan offering the same thing, seeing as we’ve already gotten Japanese bars that give women discounts for how high their heels are.

Source: Apple Daily via Hachima Kiko
    Featured image: Weibo/四毛1016
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lynne Austin

First Hooters girl Lynne Austin looks back at her success, Playboy Playmate title
    By Stephanie Nolasco Published August 18, 2017 Fox News

First Hooters girl Lynne Austin (Courtesy of Lynne Austin)

Lynne Austin had no idea how much her life would change after she agreed to pose for a billboard advertising a new restaurant opening in Clearwater, Florida.

“I literally started before the restaurant opened,” the 56-year-old told Fox News.

She became the poster girl for Hooters in 1983.

(Courtesy of Lynne Austin)

“We were delayed in getting the restaurant opened, so by that time I was pretty broke. Being a young girl, I joined this new venture. I actually cleaned the restaurant equipment for five bucks an hour before we opened.”

Before Austin accepted the opportunity, she was working at a telephone company and modeling on the side. She was spotted by Hooters co-founder Ed Droste at the Miss Jose Cuervo bikini pageant that year, which she won. She accepted Droste’s offer to appear in a new ad for Hooters, not thinking much of it.

“The [Hooters] building -- [there] had been about four awful businesses there,” explained Austin. “I think it was a biker bar at one point and a pizza shop.”

(Courtesy of Lynne Austin)

Austin was craving something new. She quit her job with the telephone company and worked at Hooters as a waitress. While Hooters was the ideal spot to savor hot wings and cold beer after unwinding at the local beach, it was the American blonde wearing a white tank top and tiny orange shorts that enticed patrons.

“The first time I ever saw the billboard, it was kind of surreal,” Austin recalled. “Like, 'Oh my Lord, there I am, my big ol’ face is up here'… And quickly, they started marketing from there. They did taxi tops. I was on the front of a boat, I was on the side of a delivery truck… I was everywhere. For 15 years I had billboards up… The thrill of being the face never got old. Still doesn’t.”

And the tactic worked. For six years, Austin quickly garnered regulars and fans hoping to be served by the pinup. Word spread that the actual Hooters girl was in the restaurant and it didn’t take long for lines of admirers to form and wait up to three hours.

“People would send me flowers to the restaurant, they would come in and sit at my table for hours, trying to get my attention,” she said. “A lot of it was very flattering… but I’ve been married for 20 years now so I don’t even remember those kinds of stories! But there were plenty of guys trying to get my attention.

"[But] who doesn’t love that? Who doesn’t love people wanting to see you, be around you, and love your personality? Of course I loved it. I still do! People still come to me and want a picture with me. And I’m always so flattered and grateful that people still care.”

Hooters soon transformed from a casual pit stop into an iconic chain. There are currently more than 420 restaurants in 42 states and 29 countries all serving its winning combo: tasty grub, televised sports, ever-flowing beer and plenty of friendly women. However, some critics have slammed Hooters over the years, accusing the restaurant of exploiting scantily clad women on the job.

Austin doesn’t hesitate to dismiss the allegations.

“I was there from the beginning,” she explained. “We wore running shorts and a tank top and I get it, that’s not the attire of another restaurant. But you saw way more at the beach then you ever saw in our restaurant. We patterned our uniform after one of the owners who was a runner. So we got the runner shorts. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with runners wearing shorts. I’ve never had a problem with it.

"But I’m a beach girl… It’s honestly hard to convince me that there’s anything wrong with our uniform. And we’d had nurses, lawyers, and I think even a judge who were former Hooters girls. Our accomplishments are remarkable. It’s way more than serving wings and wearing shorts. I’m proud of it.”

Austin also credited Hooters for granting her the flexibility to pursue modeling career on the side.

“There are so many girls pursuing education, modeling, acting, whatever, but they still call Hooters home,” she insisted. “They did that for me also. They worked around my schedule while I was modeling and traveling. But when I was in town, I would pick up a couple of shifts.”

And Austin’s newfound fame led to another title — that of Playboy Playmate in 1986.

“[Hugh Hefner] was very nice,” she said. “A very intelligent man, very well-spoken, very educated -- just a nice man. He was always very polite, a gentleman, and a nice host! But I couldn’t tell you his favorite color. We weren’t that friendly!”

Austin would also go on to guest-star in two episodes of the hit sitcom “Married with Children” in 1989. She also appeared on “Star Search,” and hosted “Hooters Movie of the Week” every Saturday on television for seven years.

Austin also did radio for 18 years. Back in July, she served as one of the judges for the Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant. Currently, the mother of four hosts a podcast and is writing a memoir about her adventures.

Lynne Austin today with fellow Hooters girl Brittany Oldehoff. (Courtesy of Lynne Austin)

“Just about everything I do, Hooters is always my base, my heart,” she said. “Any success I’ve ever had, I always brought them along with me. They were a launching pad for me. And the Hooters girl? She’s an icon. All you need to do is see those orange shorts.”

Even her children are proud of their mother’s accomplishments.

“Oh they love the title of [first Hooters girl],” she said. “Back in elementary school, they would go, ‘Mom! My teacher knows who you are! My teacher loves Hooters… I would totally let my daughter be a Hooters girl if she didn’t have to drive back home at night alone. But if I could drive her there and back? Absolutely.”

Still, don’t expect Austin to slip into her old uniform anytime soon.

“No, I can never do that uniform justice,” she claimed. “That uniform doesn’t need me anymore. There’s too many other girls that could wear it way better than I could.”
    Fox News - Most Watched, Most Trusted
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So on topic

This thread continues to be astonishingly bountiful.

Hooters in Hong Kong sees figures go pear-shaped as landlord demands HK$1 million in unpaid rent
    Owner of bar’s Lan Kwai Fong site kicks off legal action against restaurant chain
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 11 September, 2017, 4:30pm
    UPDATED : Monday, 11 September, 2017, 7:29pm

Julia Hollingsworth
    http://twitter.com/juliaholli
    julia.hollingsworth@scmp.com

Cold drinks and hot women don’t seem to have been enough to keep Hooters well supported, with the American restaurant chain facing eviction from its sole Hong Kong site after failing to pay more than HK$1 million in rent, according to legal documents.
    But Hooters Asia – which runs the venue – remained perky about the restaurant’s prospects and insisted it still planned to open four more venues in Hong Kong in the future, despite the sole existing outlet only breaking even for the first time last month.
    The landlord of the bar’s Lan Kwai Fong location kicked off legal action against the company on Friday, seeking almost HK$1.13 million in unpaid rent – about three months’ worth.
    Lawyers for property management firm Dor Fook Company Limited filed a writ of summons at the High Court on Friday, claiming Hooters had “failed and/or refused” to pay since April despite “repeated demands and requests”.
    According to the writ, the landlord wrote a letter to the restaurant at the beginning of last month demanding payment, but Hooters still failed to cough up all the money.
    The lawyers want Hooters to leave the property or pay more than HK$371,700 for every month that it remains in it, from September 16.
    In April last year Hooters signed a 10-year lease for the Wyndham Street venue, agreeing to pay HK$330,000 per month for the first year, according to the legal document.
    Hooters must respond to the writ within two weeks.
    Hooters Asia president Daniel Yong, who took over management two months ago, said he was “quite surprised” by the legal action, as he had already discussed repayment with the landlord.

Waitresses at a Hooters bar in Beijing. Photo: AFP

“We are actually quite surprised that this came up, because they have been getting monthly money from us and we have the bills to prove that point,” he said, adding that he planned to have all the outstanding debt paid off in the next two weeks, although he couldn’t confirm the exact figure.
    Yong said the former manager resigned from the company earlier this year, leaving a “messy accounting system” and unpaid bills.
    “It is a bit of a mess we’re trying to clean up right now,” he said.
    The Hong Kong outlet had run at a loss for the first 12 months it was open and only broke even last month, he said.
    In 2015, the chain said it was scouting locations for five Hong Kong outlets and, when asked whether the next four proposed restaurants would be going ahead, Yong replied “of course”.
    “I’m pretty confident that the business will do well,” he said. “We intend to be in Hong Kong for an extended period of time ... At the end of the day we just want to improve and make more money.”
    Yong dismissed the criticisms that the restaurant’s famously scantily-clad women were “old fashioned”, saying people held different opinions.
    The restaurant chain attracted controversy when it first opened in Hong Kong last July, with the firm forced onto the defensive over its trademark busty girls in small orange shorts and tank tops.
    At the time, Hooters Asia general manager Mike Warde dismissed accusations that breast size was a factor in the hiring process for waitresses, and said the bar was “family oriented” and “fun-loving”.
    “We teach the girls to be a lot more respectful of themselves; have more confidence in themselves,” he said.
    There are more than 430 Hooters restaurants in 28 countries, according to the Singapore Hooters website.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chelsea Morgensen: 2017 Miss Hooters International

14 hours ago
    Hooters pageant winner Chelsea Morgensen: It empowers me
    By Stephanie Nolasco, Fox News

Chelsea Morgensen was crowned 2017 Miss Hooters International (Courtesy of Hooters)

Chelsea Morgensen is heating things up faster than a plate of wings these days — the reigning 2017 Miss Hooters International is serving up the sizzling 2018 calendar as its new cover girl.

And it’s for a good cause. Since October, $1 from each calendar goes to Give A Hoot, a campaign supporting breast cancer research.

Fox News spoke with the Texas native living in Hollywood about appearing in the latest Hooters calendar, how she was hired by the restaurant and the one talent she loves to show off:

Fox News: Can you describe that moment when you saw yourself on the cover for the first time?

Chelsea Morgensen: My managers first told me I was going to be doing a TV appearance, but instead they were actually surprising me with my cover. The entire restaurant was chanting my name as I came downstairs. I had no idea what was going on. And then they finally showed me the cover… I loved it. I just really loved my picture! I was so excited, the whole restaurant was cheering for me… But it didn’t actually hit me until… I saw the physical, actual calendar. I just thought, ‘Wow, this actually happened.’

Fox News: When did you first became involved with Hooters?

Morgensen: I started working for Hooters in April 2015. I was actually just eating at Hooters because I love their wings and thought, ‘You know, I really need a job. I wonder if they’re hiring.’ I asked the Hooters girl there and she said, ‘Yeah! Stop in tomorrow and meet our manager.’ I went in… They pretty much hired me on the spot. It was pretty exciting. I was a bit overwhelmed, but I am glad that I pursued it. It’s been the best job I’ve ever had.

Fox News: How has working at Hooters helped you build self-confidence?

Morgensen: Just having to interact with people every day, especially working in Hollywood, people come from all over the country… I had to open up and talk to everybody. Being outgoing just in the workplace encouraged me to get out more in my regular life.

Fox News: What’s your relationship like with your customers?

Morgensen: In Hollywood, we actually have very few regulars… It’s always new customers. But recently — and I’m so excited about this — I actually created two regulars of my own that now frequent the restaurant, which is really cool!

My relationships with them are very friendly. We talk about work, travel, careers. I’m modeling and acting now, so they’re always really curious about what that’s like and see how I’m doing… If they’re ever having a down day, I try to turn it around for them. I really like having that familiar face come in. And I hope to create more of them.

Fox News: Have you interacted with any celebrities?

Morgensen: I personally have not that I know of, but there are some celebrities that come in. I know we had a football player one time who came in and ordered one of everything on the entire menu… We do have some celebrities who come in every now and then.

Fox News: Some people believe Hooters depicts women in a negative light. How do you respond to the criticism?

Morgensen: Honestly, I haven’t experienced any incidents of negativity. It has done nothing but empowered me. It has given me so much more confidence. And all the girls that work there are amazing. There are girls going to school to become nurses, become lawyers, to be doctors… I think it’s a great job… It gives you that ability to talk to anybody… I have had nothing, but positive experiences working with Hooters.

Fox News: Are there any misconceptions you feel people have that just aren’t true?

Morgensen: I think a lot of people need to visit Hooters and see it for themselves. Hooters is a great family-oriented restaurant. Families bring their kids all the time and they absolutely love it. They have a blast. So if someone has any misconceptions, they just need to come to Hooters and experience it for themselves.

Fox News: Before Hooters, you were a pageant girl in 2009. What was that like?

Morgensen: I was a tomboy my whole life… But I was tall and thin, so people would always tell me that I should model. A friend of my mom's told me there was a beauty pageant coming up and I should compete in it. It was part of the Miss Universe organization… It was in my hometown of Texas, so I competed there and ended up winning… I was so surprised, I didn’t know what I had gotten myself into… It actually led me to Hollywood and that’s where I wanted to end up.

Fox News: What’s the most outrageous thing you’ve ever had to do for a good photo?

Morgensen: I was in New York and shooting a summer line for a purse collection. It was about five degrees outside. It was also raining. I was wearing a tank top with strappy heels and little capri pants. I was just wearing that while walking around the street as photos were being taken of the purses. It was so, so cold. I couldn’t feel my body or anything. But that’s how it is in this industry. It’s all over the place, but I love it.

Fox News: What are some other fun facts our readers should know about you?

Morgensen: I can sing and talk in a Chipmunk voice! I discovered this talent about five years ago. I’m also a world champion basketball player. I won a major tournament when I was in third grade. And I just love staying active. Whether it’s rock climbing, kickboxing – anything, I just love it.
    Extra points for Chelsea's kickboxing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

namemyrestaurant.com

A new restaurant concept that will feature “skimpy uniforms” is coming to Kansas. Abdul Arif, the businessman behind the idea, created a poll on Facebook to name the restaurants. Options include Shocker Knockers and Busted Bourbons. Abdul Arif via Facebook

Owner seeks a ‘subtle’ name for his Kansas restaurant. Shocker Knockers is one choice
    BY MAX LONDBERG AND CARRIE RENGERS
    McClatchy

January 02, 2018 12:56 PM

Wichita businessman Abdul Arif says he hopes his new restaurant will be “very subtle” but also similar to Hooters or Twin Peaks.

Shocker Knockers and Perky Jugs are among the names he’s considering.

Arif says he wants his restaurant to appeal to millennials, who are “much more sensitive to sexual nuances.”

“The millennials are much more sophisticated,” he said. “They would be repelled by a very overt message.”

He described his conceptual restaurant as “a sports bar and grill with, ah, skimpy uniforms.

“We’re still searching for the right name to put on there.”

To that end, Arif started a poll on Facebook with name proposals. Those who select the winning name will be entered into a drawing for $1,000 and free beer.

Blonde Bleachers, Cheers Taphouse, Busted Bourbons and Yogies Taphouse are additional proposals. A “yogie” is defined by the Urban Dictionary as someone who eats and sleeps often.

“The restaurant concept is going wild,” Arif said. “At the end of the day, everybody likes to look at pretty girls and drink beer.”

See more of namemyrestaurant.com on Facebook

namemyrestaurant.com
    December 31, 2017 at 7:14am ·
    Vote for your favorite name for a chance to win $1000 and Beer for two for a year! Like our page and vote for your favorite name in the comments and share the post. If you vote for the winning name you will be entered in a drawing for your chance to win.

NAMES TO VOTE FOR:
    Shockers Knockers - Local Brews with Views
    Cheers Taphouse - Local Brews with Views
    Yogies Taphouse - Local Brews with Views
    Blonde Bleachers - Local Brews with Views
    Busted Bourbons - Local Brews with Views
    Cheer Squad - Local Brews with Views
    Perky Jugs - Local Brews with Views
    Double Lattes - Local Brews with Views
    Double Trouble - Local Brews with Views

Winner will be announced Jan. 14th. LIKE, VOTE AND SHARE TODAY!
    “Those names are terrible,” Glenn Bechtel wrote in a comment. “I was thinking Mammary’s. ... Oh wait too overt for the sophisticated palates that go to places like these.”

As of Tuesday morning, Cheers Taphouse had the most votes, Arif said

A 2017 survey of 250 women who worked in “breastaurants” found the waitresses suffer from a greater risk of developing eating disorders, anxiety and depression.

Some restaurants create grading systems to assess the women who work in them, the survey found.

“We want to raise awareness about the negative impact that these types of restaurant environments may have on female servers,” Dawn Syzmanski, one of two psychology researchers from the University of Tennessee who performed the survey, told USA Today. “We want the public to use this data in personal decisions about whether to support or not support these types of restaurants.”

When asked whether the survey’s results concerned him, Arif said, “No. No, not really because ... we don’t force anybody to work there.”

Arif, who is also a lawyer, said that to avoid gender or appearance discrimination in hiring, his servers will be classified as models under what’s known as the bona fide occupational qualification exception — the same exception to discrimination laws that allows casting directors to recruit, say, a white actor to play George Washington, Arif said.

Since the women at his restaurants will be classified as models, they will earn “well above anything waitresses make.”

He estimated they’ll earn between $700 and $1,000 per week including tips, and he added that a tuition reimbursement program will be granted to employees who earn B’s and above in college.

“We want to encourage these ladies to enhance their full potential,” he said.

He added that he is a “a capitalist to the core, but a capitalist with a social conscience,” and that he’s a founding member of a nonprofit, the Mayflower Clinic, that pays medical expenses for the uninsured.

Arif said he’s not ready to create a restaurant that caters to female clientele rather than men.

“I just don’t think Wichita’s ready for something like that, or there’s not enough segment here maybe,” Arif says. “Of course, we don’t want to be partial, but I just don’t know yet if I’m brave enough to do something like that.”

Arif says he wants women and children to be comfortable coming to his restaurant, regardless of its future name.

“Otherwise, it would look like a strip club, and we don’t want that.”

Look for results of the naming contest by Jan. 15.
    No name announce yet. I'm eager with anticipation...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hooters delivery?

Hooters as we know it looks like a thing of the past — the restaurant’s latest move to compete is proof
    Matt Naham, January 15, 2018 11:35 am

The wings restaurant with a reputation as a “breastaurant” known as Hooters is exploring new business initiatives as it realizes it will be impossible to remain competitive hoping that people will walk through its front doors.

Hooters as we know it is becoming Hooters as we knew it, as the chain emphasizes food delivery services without bombshell staffers being involved.

Chief Executive Terry Marks, the New York Post reported, talked up food delivery services at the ICR Retail conference in Orlando and acknowledged that many people wouldn’t be caught dead in a Hooters but would still eat the food.

Marks said that the company is focusing on delivery and pick-up orders and, as a result, has solved its polarizing branding issue.

“Many people wouldn’t step foot in our restaurants, but they want our product,” Marks said. “Delivery [solves] the polarizing issue the brand has had.”

That’s why the restaurant has gone from having delivery or take out at seven locations to 96 in a year. We’ve talked about the Hooters-specific brand issue as it relates to industry-wide trends that show decline in dining out.

Between 2012 and 2016, Hooters lost 7 percent of its locations due to stagnating sales, according to a Business Insider report.

While the lack of appeal for Hooters may have something to do with a dip in interest in breast-related content among a younger crowd, a decline in dining out across the industry compounded the problem and forced the company to explore other options.

Food Newsfeed delved deeper into this problem in an article from 2016 headlined “Are We Witnessing the Death of Casual Dining?” In that piece, the plight of “mid-scale” casual dining establishments is explored.

Victor Fernandez, who tracks insights in the food industry for TDn2K, said that it’s obvious the “percentage of brands that are positive is shrinking.”

“When you think about from recession until now, it’s all been negative traffic growth every year,” he says. “It’s less and less guest occasions than what we had the previous year, so that’s the main concern for the chain restaurant industry.”

Fernandez said that since the recession these types of restaurants have been struggling to compete with others that have quicker service.

“Quick service has been doing much better, and it has been doing much better for the last year or two. They’re able to drive some positive [comparable restaurant] numbers for both sales and traffic, so they’re in a much better spot,” he said. “Full-service has been struggling a bit more, and within that, casual dining is really the sub-segment that is struggling the most. If you drill down a little bit more, it’s the bar and grill sector that’s really having the most trouble.”

.(Photo: Flickr Creative Commons/BemLoira BemDevassa)

Hooters as we know it looks like a thing of the past — the restaurant’s latest move to compete is proof Flickr Creative Commons/BemLoira BemDevassa

About the author:
    Matt Naham, Rare Staff
    Matt Naham is the Weekend Editor for Rare. Follow him on Twitter @matt_naham.
    Honestly now, who goes to Hooters for the food? The food is not that good.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Braised Sister

Jan 26
    Busty babe in ultra-short shorts helps Taiwanese snack vendor quadruple sales
    We think she’s found her calling

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*iT1fYTybSCpwCf8wu-tZqQ.jpeg[/IMG]

Looking to draw in a couple more customers, a braised meat vendor in Taiwan decided to hand over the management of his stall for one night to a cleavage-bearing woman wielding a cleaver.

This turns out to have been a rather good business decision on his part. The vendor told Taiwanese media that with “Little Peach” (小桃子) at the helm his stall’s sales quadrupled as a long lines of curious customers stretched out into the road at a Taichung night market.

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*UdNCtVDSrTZ0SpSms3ZQ-A.jpeg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*3vvWTtq0JCLvtH120AgMeA.jpeg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*ZjljPM3Lt_pwN_ky3LKrQw.jpeg[/IMG]

Afterward, the model posted images of herself working at the braised snack stall onto Facebook, creating an even bigger stir online. The images show “Little Peach” in a low-cut sweater and a pair of extremely short shorts.

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*6wb1YiETzAtraSP-iPtJvg.jpeg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*CVpVIIT8D7QskKX3_uV0-g.jpeg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*9WaDE1Ra6Q0B_iR0c-w9dQ.jpeg[/IMG]

According to Taiwan News, the woman has thusly earned herself the title of “Braised Sister.” When she’s not holding down things at the stall, she can be found wearing even less for her day job.

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*_F7DACzMq283n-eMb5SWTA.jpeg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*fnK5kIsU2zNLhp-z4n6-9w.jpeg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*T309cA_fFFJCvAIItOQioA.jpeg[/IMG]

This “Braised Sister” falls in a long line of Taiwanese vendors whose sales have been helped by their sex appeal, including Taipei’s “Pork Princess.”

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*kpNRP4GFOi-vhg7O_Tskmw.jpeg[/IMG]

And “Taiwan’s hottest bean curd seller.”

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*NYMWLI9j7ceOYycfW3r84Q.jpeg[/IMG]
    "pork princess"?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sex Mex

Interesting take on this. I suppose if an Asian-themed breastaurant opened, I'd have similar issues. But I just got to say - the Mexican beer posters is see in all the taquerias that I frequent are some of the sexiest beer posters of all.

Spicing things up at El Hefe. Benjamin Leatherman

'Sex Mex' Is Trendy, but Using Sex to Sell Tacos Is Hardly New
    PATRICIA ESCÁRCEGA | FEBRUARY 2, 2018 | 7:00AM

On a recent Friday night, throngs of 20-somethings were packed inside El Hefe, the “super macho taquería” in downtown Scottsdale that’s probably best known for two things: kiddie-pool-size adult beverages called Beergaritas, and the “Hefe Girls,” the restaurant’s crew of young, scantily clad female servers and bartenders, who regularly take turns dancing on the bar, Coyote Ugly-style.

On this night, the Beergaritas were flowing, the wordless thump of EDM vibrated in the air, and as promised, a couple of Hefe Girls danced on the bar. One of the women, gyrating in hot pants and a low-cut tank top, poured a waterfall of tequila, straight from the bottle, into the gaping mouth of a young bearded dude. His friends slapped him on the back in approval, and his face took on the glow of someone who had just taken communion.

El Hefe, especially on nights like these, is a conspicuous example of a certain type of modern Mexican restaurant: loud, style-conscious, and not shy about using sex appeal to sell tacos and tequila.

“Hmmm, how can we describe El Hefe?” the restaurant’s website reads. “Think Dia de Los Muertos — but with style (and great-looking servers!)”

In late January, Scottsdale’s nightlife district welcomed another stylish and “sexy” Mexican restaurant to the neighborhood: Casa Amigos, from Scottsdale-based Evening Entertainment Group, described in a recent press release as “a spicy, sexy Mexican restaurant.”

Evening Entertainment Group declined to be interviewed for this piece, providing instead a short written statement about the group’s design philosophy and commitment to “top-notch” food and drink. Riot Hospitality Group, who owns El Hefe, also declined to be interviewed.

El Hefe and Casa Amigos aren’t the only restaurants putting “sexy” at the center of their brand, of course. Hooters brought the “breastaurant” into the American dining mainstream in the 1980s and 1990s. Similar concepts have followed suit, replicating the boobs-and-booze formula to the tune of more than $1 billion in annual sales, according to several reports.

But there’s also a whole subgenre of these kinds of restaurants — call them “Sex Mex,” if you want — that appears to be growing. There’s the Florida restaurant that describes its menu as “sexy Mexican food and craft cocktails.” The San Antonio Mexican restaurant where the all-female wait staff wear lingerie and swimwear. The Harlem taco shop, Sexy Taco/Dirty Cash, whose logo features a pinup model straddling a hard shell taco with one hand while balancing a margarita in the other.

All of which begs the question: Is Sex Mex a new trend in Mexican dining? More to the point, should it be?

Art at Casa Amigos in Scottsdale. Benjamin Leatherman

“Sexy, spicy — those are the kinds of words that have historically been used to stereotype Latinas,” says Dr. Meredith Abarca, an English professor at the University of Texas at El Paso.

Abarca has written extensively about the intersection of class, gender, and Mexican foodways. She’s not sure what to think about a restaurant that markets itself as “sexy” and “spicy.”

“Spicy, in the context of chiles and Mexican food history, that makes sense to me,” she says. “But when you add the word sexy, it raises a lot of questions.”

“The first thing that comes to mind is ‘hot tamale.’ The old stereotype of Latinas as hot, sizzling things.”

Hot tamale. Spicy señorita. The words invoke a dark-haired, red-lipped, hypersexual Latina woman. It’s one of the oldest and most persistent Latina stereotypes in the book.

Mexican film actress Lupe Velez was sometimes marketed as “The Hot Pepper."Courtesy of Cine Mundial

Spicy is what Mexican film actress Lupe Velez, star of the “Mexican spitfire” silent film series, was called in turn-of-the-century Hollywood (Velez was sometimes marketed as “The Hot Pepper”). Spicy is “exotic” Carmen Miranda donning blood-red lipstick, a sequined bra, and pineapple headdress. Spicy is Sofía Vergara playing an archetypically loud, sexy Latina bombshell, well into the 21st century on ABC’s Modern Family.

Spicy suggests someone who is alluring, but also tempestuous and childlike. To be spicy is to be a person who cannot be taken entirely seriously, and possibly shouldn’t be trusted.

It might seem like a harmless, even flattering, cliché. But tell that to Josefa Loaiza, the Gold Rush-era Californian with the dubious distinction of being what many historians believe is the only woman to be lynched and hanged in the state of California. Her crime: stabbing a man who broke into her house. Reports from the era describe her as a hot-blooded beauty. From her saga, it’s easy to imagine the terrible ways that “spicy” and “hot-blooded” can be transmuted into “crazy” — or “dangerous.”

Gustavo Arellano Larry D. Moore

How does the “spicy Latina” trope intersect with the food world, though? I asked Gustavo Arellano, whose book Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America charts the intriguing trajectory of Mexican cooking in the U.S.

Arellano, famous for gleefully imploding racist stereotypes in his popular long-running syndicated column “Ask a Mexican,” says that the “spicy Latina” is a very old trope that played a big part in popularizing Mexican food in the U.S.

“It goes back all the way to the first famous Mexican restaurateurs, when they were known as chili queens in San Antonio,” he says.

Arellano devotes a chapter in his book to the story of the chili queens. These were the Mexican female cooks who set up makeshift restaurants at night in the plazas of 19th-century San Antonio. The food — which included chile con carne and tamales dished out of big pots placed over open fires — attracted curious tourists drawn to the “exotic” local dishes.

They were drawn not only by the novelty of the food, but by the “coquettish señoritas” serving it, which is how writer O. Henry describes the women in his short story “The Enchanted Kiss.”

“They were literally the first spicy señoritas,” says Arellano. “And whether they did it purposely or not, a lot of their appeal was their sex appeal.”

The chili queens may have faded from the plazas of San Antonio decades ago, but the idea of “coquettish señoritas” lives on to this day.

Before there were overtly sexual breastaurants, Mexican restaurants were adept at highlighting female sexuality, albeit in slightly more subtle ways than today’s Hefe Girls.

Like other “ethnic” cuisines angling for the American mainstream, Mexican restaurants in the latter half of the 20th century often played up the romance of exoticism, in this case the romance of “Old Mexico.” Portraying Mexican women in a certain light was a big part of that romantic image.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

China poblanaKaren Apricot / Flickr

Arelleno points to the china poblana costume — a sometimes low-cut peasant dress often worn by female servers — which became a hallmark of higher-end Mexican restaurants in the latter half of the 20th century. The costume was a tangible marker that placed Latinas as exotic, sensual, and decorative.

The china poblana costume has largely been retired from contemporary Mexican restaurants. But in cities like metro Phoenix, Arellano says, Sex Mex continues in at least two different veins.

“You have the restaurants for the Scottsdale crowd, but you also have restaurants for the Mexican immigrant crowd,” he says. “And where you really see it is in the marisquerías.”

If the Scottsdale crowds have places like El Hefe, then the Mexican immigrant crowd has places like Mariscos Hector, a sexed-up Sinaloan marisquería (seafood restaurant) that’s become a mainstay of the Orange County Mexican food scene.

Mariscos Hector proudly bills itself as the “Mexican Hooters.” Unlike other breastaurants, which downplay charges of sexism by talking up the quality of their chicken wings or burgers, Mariscos Hector feels more like an oversexed bar that happens to serve seafood. The restaurant’s female servers, a curvaceous crew that serves aguachile platters with a side of earsplitting banda music, are shamelessly plugged as the restaurant’s feature attraction. (Mariscos Hector did not respond to New Times’ request for an interview.)

This type of Mexican restaurant, geared toward Mexican immigrant men, doesn’t play on racial stereotypes to appeal to a non-Mexican dining public. It relies, instead, on good old-fashioned Mexican machismo.

In the end, El Hefe and Mariscos Hector, two restaurants that ostensibly seem worlds apart, feel a little like kindred spirits. Beneath Hector’s thunderous banda music, and El Hefe’s thumping EDM soundtrack, you can hear both speaking the universal language of sexism.

Getting spicy at El Hefe. Benjamin Leatherman

These days, when restaurants boast about sex appeal, it’s often intended to convey things like tufted leather booths, or pricey, showstopper bars.

“Sexy” has become a popular — and, arguably, overused and confused — marketing and design term, a catchall for anything meant to be understood as youthful, deluxe, or stylish. I suspect that’s what places like Casa Amigos have in mind when they talk about a “spicy, sexy” Mexican restaurant.

But sexy, when it’s expressly describing a sexually charged restaurant environment — well, that can be problematic, Abarca tells me.

Hyper-sexualized work environments, like those found in some restaurants, shape the “bigger picture” of society, she says. They reflect the balance of power in the world — one that often belongs to powerful men.

“With all these accusations we keep hearing about ... men who feel like they can do whatever they want — this is just another way in which, systematically, women are stereotyped and objectified,” she says.

No matter what is meant by using the word “sexy,” though, using sex appeal to sell Mexican food, even on the broadest terms, inevitably evokes more than a century of racist and sexist stereotypes — cue the hot tamales, hot-blooded chicas, and loud, vapid bombshells.

And it’s worth noting that cheerfully branding Mexican food as “sexy” or “fun” or “spicy” exoticizes a food culture that is not exotic. Mexican food, in case you haven’t noticed, has been around these parts for quite a while. It’s as American as apple pie, or Taco Bell.

“Mexican food now is so popular,” Arellano tells me. “You really don’t need sex appeal to sell it anymore.”

That kind of clear-eyed assessment still seems lost on some restaurateurs, though, who continue to lean on hackneyed concepts to sell food and drink. Why not, instead, focus that energy on making great food?

It’s hard to ignore, too, how disingenuous, tone-deaf, and unwelcoming these kinds of restaurants can feel.

Proclaiming that your Mexican restaurant is like Dia de Los Muertos, for instance — but with more style and great-looking servers — underlines a fixation with style over substance, and a lack of respect for the culture that’s helping put dollars in your pocket. And hiring only “sexy chicas” to serve food? It’s a surefire way to shut out a big part of the dining public.

“Sex and food, that’s not a new connection,” says Abarca. “But it’s interesting that it’s being used so boldly by restaurants.

“The question remains, who are they hoping to attract?”
    I do luv tacos...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips