Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Family Taiji

PlasticSquirrel Guest

sun style tai chi

i was just wondering if anyone knew much about sun lu tang's style of tai chi.

it's really hard to find out much about it, other than it uses high postures with narrow steps and round arm movements. also, it uses bagua footwork and xing-yi kicking.

Ma_Xu_Zha Guest

Yongnian

Plastic squirrel wrote:

i was just wondering if anyone knew much about sun lu tang's style of tai chi.
    it's really hard to find out much about it, other than it uses high postures with narrow steps and round arm movements. also, it uses bagua footwork and xing-yi kicking.

-I wouldnt say it uses much any bagua or hsingyi but more concepts. there is the san ti posture and some bagua pivot type stepping. the sun taiji is alo called active stepping taiji and has a step up with the pushing. This is seen in another style of taiji from Yongnian (home of Yang and Hao style)called Guang Ping style. It is not part of hao style that sun learned from hao Wei Zhen. I dont think it uses hsingyi kicking, it has jump kick like guang ping style and chen style. I have sen the sun style taiji done really fast, it was quite unusual.

GLW Guest
    Been doing it for years... It is very different and interesting.

Also called Kai He Huo Bu Taijiquan (Open Close, Fast step....) due to the quickness of the steping and the use of the Open/Close technique and its unique Single Whip.

So...what was your question idea....?

OldFatBaldGuy Guest

GLW

I read someplace (I'm old - I don't remember where!) that to completely understand Sun style TCC, you first needed to have studied Sun's xing yi and bagua.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Respectfully,
    OldFatBaldGuy

Esteban Guest
    Hi,

well, I think someone who's studied Sun's bagua and xingyi will say that it definitely helps to have learned them if you want to use Sun's tjq. If you're primarily interested in health, then it isn't necessary to know the other arts. However, it would still help if you learned from someone who was familiar with all three. BTW, I don't believe in the idea that it's necessary to master each of the arts to be proficient. If you're not willing to invest years of study, without the hope of mastery, then it's unlikely you'll master it anyway. Anyway, I think it does help to understand Xingyi stepping, particularly Sun's system. But, the stepping in Sun's tjq is not like his Xingyi stepping. Oh, there are a few similariites, but not in general. However, the principles are similar. Knowing Sun's bagua would probably help, too. But, imho, it's not about knowing the forms/animals; it's about learning the bagua method of application. That's always going to be complicated to learn. In Sun's book on bagua, the people who wrote the introductions say it took them 20-30 years to begin to understand. If you read the text, you'll see why. However, Sun Lutang always emphasized "practice" as the means to understanding. So, that's where I'm gonna go now.

Respects,
    Esteban

PlasticSquirrel Guest
    "I have seen the sun style taiji done really fast, it was quite unusual."

why is it unusual? unusual in a bad weird way or unusual in a good weird way? any details you guys can give me would be great.

one thing that i forgot to ask is this: i've heard that bagua has footwork that allows you to move around your opponent very quickly. i've also heard that the sun style uses the principles of bagua footwork. does sun style have the quick and agile footwork that allows you to circle around your opponent?

:) :) :) :) :) :( :) :)

GLW Guest
    There are some very subtle places where Sun Style is more like Xing Yi...others where it is more like Bagua and still more where it is like Wu style with more movement and animation.

I can see where a person with no background in any other stye would have trouble with it if they started with Sun and did not know Bagua Xing Yi or any other style.

From my experience, The Xing Yi parts are the hardest to get if you do not do Xing yi. Not impossible but harder. There seems to be more of an affinity between the melding of the Bagua flavorings to the Wu style Taijiquan.

The places where Xing Yi comes out are alos more obvious than those for Bagua. For example, the instances where you do the twisting step forward into a Pi Quan type of strike...or the San Ti stances ...

However, to get it down, you really need to do Taijiquan as well.

I have a classmate who learned it at the same time I did. I am familiar with Bagua but not too familiar with Xing yi. I also focus a lot on Taijiquan. Now, after several years, when you see us do it together, I have more twisting and coiling in moves, more subtleness and he has more driving linear power and is more direct. This is as I would expect because he does Xing Yi while I do the evasion and twsting types of arts....

An interesting note...Sun style has no hooking hand.

Also... I think one of the hardest things for me to get at first was the spirit. It is more lively and you have to deliberately let that spirit come out when doing it as opposed to showing a calm manner with say Yang style....and still maintain that Taijiquan air.

fun...

Esteban Guest
    "one thing that i forgot to ask is this: i've heard that bagua has footwork that allows you to move around your opponent very quickly. i've also heard that the sun style uses the principles of bagua footwork. does sun style have the quick and agile footwork that allows you to circle around your opponent?"

Good question, and I'll go out on a limb and say that Sun tjq uses no more nor less of the evasive strategy than any other form of tjq. So, the answer is yes and no. For example, most tjq styles (I think) have the movement "fair lady threads shuttles." The (4) movements, taken as a whole (at least two 180 degree turns) can be seen as "evasive" and can be used to get behind one opponent or to deal with more than one. But, in general, Sun tjq would use tjq strategy. Though, of course, it's possible to adapt any of the arts to any strategy, in practice.

Respects,
    Esteban

unclaimed effort Guest

Sun Tai Chi

Are there any thoughts from anybody about the Sun style? What's it like? How's it different from the others?

I don't hear much about it, maybe there is a site you could lead me to that can help me learn about it?

When you win a fight, who do you think feels worse, you or your opponent?

GLW Guest
    Nice...but very different....

Where to start...ask away and I will try to share what I can.

Subitai Guest

You live in East BAY?

If you like, you could visit Sifu Lams school in Sunnyvale, CA. About 50 min ride for you, I think.

www.wle.com

Take a private or just go ask questions.

"Brilliant general"! "When the dirty ******* finds out, he'll return with his men--then we kill the all of them..." www.kwoon.tv

unclaimed effort Guest

GLW

Well basically, the way of fighting... i guess in a way. Like how Chen is more explosive, lower stances, Yang is more linear, and based a lot on holding the ball.

It's not the alphabet that will write your essay, but the applied letters that do. If you aren't satisfied then proofread until it is better.

Ex: It's not the forms that will win your fight, but the applied techniques that do. If you don't like them then change them until you do.

unclaimed effort Guest
    Don't mind the bottom I was trying a new signature out.

GLW Guest
    UcE,

well it all boils down to the stepping used. Sun Style employs the follow step seen in Xing Yi. It is much more mobile and quick than other styles of Taijiquan.

For example, Chen has power but it is reeling in nature and then explosive. Sun redirects then quickly comes in to strike.

If the stepping is not quick and sure...and coordinated with the hands, Sun style will never work.

The tempo of the form alludes to this. It has a broken rythm but not the obvious breaks you find in Chen.

There are many postures that really have limited martial use...like the signature Kai He (open close) but then the brush knee engages the opponent and then moves to redirect and strike...a totally different rythm than other styles.

Then, just when you are into the linearity of it all, you can switch and use some of the swimming steps and techniques that came from Bagua...OR in the need for splitting or chopping power, there are those elements from Xing Yi.

Even the neutralizing methods of Sun depend heavily upon the stepping. For example, the roll back from Sun uses a step back then a follow step forward to press.... So you would never absorb without moving and never move without attaching and following back in to the opponent.

unclaimed effort Guest
    Thanks GLW, that helped me understand Sun style better.