Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leung Ting Wingtsun

Leung Ting Wingtsun

Hey guys. I just wanted to know everyones opinion about Leung Ting's Wingtsun compared to other lineages. I don't want to get in the politics about the system or the character of LT, but mainly about the grading system and the application of the techniques. Also about the length of time to learn the sets.

!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerclf1 View Post
    Hey guys. I just wanted to know everyones opinion about Leung Ting's Wingtsun compared to other lineages. I don't want to get in the politics about the system or the character of LT, but mainly about the grading system and the application of the techniques. Also about the length of time to learn the sets.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TROLL!!!!!!!!
    Don't interfere with the protracted monologues on this forum!!!

joy chaudhuri

One of the problems I see with WC is lineage wars. Your post could definitely add fuel to the lineage "disagreements". To me VT/WT/WC or however you decide to Romanize it is WC. There are different approaches but it's still WC and there are good and not so good Sifus in all branches.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

not being a troll at all. There is a class that opened up about 2 miles away from my house and was interested because it is only one daya week and shouldn't interfere with my Choy lay fut training. But I don't know much about the grading system but it seems it takes about 20 years to learn the weapons. Also the way it is applied seems different to other lineages. Not trying to start a lineage war. I never said it was inferior to other systems. So Joy should calm down with the TROLL comments.

Also if you noticed I wrote I didn't want to get into the politics of the lineages or anything of the sort. So I don't see how this would start a war with lineages. I know all WC is still wing chun and it all depends on the instructor, but there are minor differences.

Hello,

I did Wing Tsun before it was WingTsun so I may not be up to date on everything.

While there are plenty of political views your question relates to the grading system.

IMHO, the standardization, or the idea of it at least, regarding levels or grades is one of the strong points of this type of approach. By clearly identifying the requirements for each level it is, in theory, possible to go into any school within that organization and pick up almost at the same point as the school one left.

Another nice thing was the Chi Sau sections which again identify a specific goal and work towards that goal. Also the Lat Sau sections do the same.

Other families also have codified approaches to training and those approaches work as well. What sets LT's approach apart, at least in the earlier years, was the attempt to standardize the grading system and the distinct sections of chi sau. Of course, one of the main reasons, imo, for doing so was the marketting of the system. Not making it any better or worse than anything else out there.

Each student grade level addresses specific goals. For example the SNT is normally broken into three parts and taught across 2-3 student grades. Then one approaches Dan Chi and Seong Chi Sau and the next forms. Each level incorporates various drills to implement the techniques and concepts taught for that level. Each builds upon the other.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-27-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Thank you. That explanation helped quite a bit. I guess what I am getting at is why when a student completes their student grade, becomes technician 1, is allowed to start teaching, but doesn't even know the 3rd form or wooden dummy. Did I misread somewhere? Am I wrong and this isn't how it is? Also is the techniques applied differently and the footwork?
    Last edited by rogerclf1; 07-27-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Thank you. That explanation helped quite a bit. I guess what I am getting at is why when a student completes their student grade, becomes technician 1, is allowed to start teaching, but doesn't even know the 3rd form or wooden dummy. Did I misread somewhere? Am I wrong and this isn't how it is? Also is the techniques applied differently and the footwork?
    Hello,

Again I am speaking from past experience so take it fwiw.

In an attempt to offer Wing Tsun/WingTsun to more locations there have been instances when student grade level students were permitted to open classes. I think that most of these needed to be at least 10 level but again may not always be the case.

The first tecnician Level is the Primary Level Technician and this is usually considered an assistant instructor, although permitted to open a school. To obtain this level one naturally needs to have all of the 12 student grade levels and if I remember correctly the first 3 sections of chi sau. There would also be Lat Sau programs, but this was in developement when I left the organization.

Usually by the time someone has reached the primary level they would have both the SNT, CK, and Chi Sau as part of their training. Moving onward they would obtain the BT form as well as additional sections of Chi Sau.

However, I believe that in many cases a Primary Level is considered able to teach the system,. however think of it like school. The Primary Level could teach Grade or possibly High School while more advance college or college prep work would be for the third form, dummy and weapons.

Hope that is somewhat helpful. However, as I am no longer active within this family it may be more beneficial to ask your questions at the school you are interested in.

This link may be of some help:
    http://www.wtdefense.com/wingtsun-schools/
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Ok once again thank you for the replies. It helped quite a bit.

Hey guy - I'm from wt lineage and agree with everything people above have said. (The school I attend is not part of the iwta).

The curriculum, structure is probably its strength. But its been my experience that within wt, the "expertise" varies incredibly and some are good and some are not so great at all.

It all boils down to the instructor rather than the lineage or even style of martial art for that matter

Imo, u don't need wooden dummy form to teach...especially if ur just assisting the class or if teaching beginners. Of course, there is a point where u should have all that but having dummy form, long pole, etc is no guarantee that quality of wing chun is good.

To minimize chances of politics, etc, please feel free to message me if you'd like.
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Hey guys. I just wanted to know everyones opinion about Leung Ting's Wingtsun compared to other lineages.
    I think its a wonderful system to learn how to effectively beat up your pregnant mistress with.

OK thats really getting old. Please keep comments such as that off this thread. I did say in my original post I was wasn't interested in people's opinions of LT's character.

Oh calm down, it was just a joke.

Whether you want to discuss politics or not, Isn't it important to you that so much controversy surrounds the person who would be your Sigung?

Might be better to just find another WC school if you want to stay out of politics and the like, WT schools can be very political.

Roger,

It's pretty hard to judge the quality of another school unless you actually go there and try it out.

WT's been around a long time and have produced some excellent practitioners. There are lineage wars and politics, sure, but not all schools concern themselves with that BS.

My first instructor, who remains a friend, started as a karate nidan, and then swtiched to KF, learning both CLF and WC. While the two lineages are supposedly mortal enemies, he found the two styles highly complementary and teaches an effective eclectic style to this day.

Just go and check it out. You sound like you've been around long enough to distinguish the competent instructors from the nutters.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hey Adrian, thats cool about joking around, but it only takes one comment to get everybody started up in the politics and character of Leung Ting. No harm done though.