Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An object lesson . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    That was ****ing stupid.

It proves one thing:

you go into an essentially non-combat sport with a total disregard for the rules and playing pretty much for full contact and you'll win.

WTF else is there to learn from it?

One of the worst most pointless pieces of **** videos I've ever seen.

There's no object lesson involved.
    Excellent post, and it underscores the real point I was trying to make with this thread: that we can't recognize what is outside of our own personal experience. The people who have through experience already learned the object lesson that video presents easily recognize it. The people who have not learned that object lesson don't recognize it. For them, the video truly is pointless. And, from their perspective, that's true -- it's pointless for THEM because they can't recognize what is beyond their experience.

Before they can see the object lesson in that video they need to personally experience (learn) that object lesson themselves. Only then can they see and appreciate the object lesson. Until then, they are blind to it.

Can you guys who recognize the object lesson explain it to or convince the people who don't see it? No. It won't do any good. Nothing will except getting them to personally experience it themselves.

so that means we shouldn't train for competitions with rules like they do in Boxing, wrestling, MT, and BJJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    so that means we shouldn't train for competitions with rules like they do in Boxing, wrestling, MT, and BJJ?
    No, it means you don't see the "object lesson" since you've never learned the object lesson of that video. People who box, wrestle, fight MT or BJJ, will know the object lesson. A great many people in TMAs will not.

that we can't recognize what is outside of our own personal experience
    you should really look at that statement again and self reflect.

you had a bad experience with a poor CMA teacher. sounds like a really really really bad one. maybe two. you can't see stuff on youtube of TMA that you like.

this doesn't mean that you can conclude what CMA training is and CMA effectiveness.

No, it means you don't see the "object lesson" since you've never learned the object lesson of that video. People who box, wrestle, fight MT or BJJ, will know the object lesson. A great many people in TMAs will not.
    Terence,

You wanted to ridicule an art that you weren't familiar with.
    Now you claim there's a lesson that only people who've already learnt the lesson can see i.e. "Only previously enlightened people like me can see how enlightening this video is."

In actual fact, because YOU didn't know the reasoning behind the rules of kendo you were the unenlightened one. And your biased brain thinks it's being objective!

The judo guys looked like they did well to you because they ignored the fact they were "cut" and had LOST ALREADY. The shinai imitates a sword not a light saber, the bogu imitates full armour. It takes skill to swing the sword so that it cuts through full armour. Without that, they don't win. Stick to the rules when you go do another art. Maybe you'll learn something rather than dream about how street-awesome you are against a shinai.

I've done MT. You sound like you wish you had. No doubt you'd be trying to headbutt people the whole time to validate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Excellent post, and it underscores the real point I was trying to make with this thread: that we can't recognize what is outside of our own personal experience. ...
    Have a gold star.

For them, the video truly is pointless. And, from their perspective, that's true -- it's pointless for THEM because they can't recognize what is beyond their experience.
    Understanding fail? Mine or yours...? What there is beyond my experience? I've done kendo competitions under kendo rules. Incidentally, while kendo furnishes you with excellent timing for fighting, good experience in working angles, and countering, and maintaining body structure under pressure, it takes approximately three seconds of practice to work out that since what they're delivering is a whippy little touch it's basically points sparring with no point in continuing for any transferability to real fighting skills. The reason that video angered me was because someone should have pointed out to them that the way those judo guys were using those shinai would be enough to concuss someone and is not the way they're used in the gentle sport of kendo. I came from an aiki-sword background (of course unrealsitic and innapplicable for a number of different reasons) which teaches sword a la kenjutsu - cuttin through - so when I started kendo I was admonished (and beaten up for as an example) for using my shinai like a weapon: it isn't.

I've done lightly protected light contact free sparring with wooden weapons which have still resulted in dislocated/sprained digits and mild concussion. I've done FC MMA sparring where the rules were agreed but the teacher wasn't watching everyone at the same time and some people will try and take your head off cos they haven't got the experience to recognise mutual agreed contact levels or just because over here they train full-on. I've done chi sao of varying degrees of contact (none of it comparable to sparring). I've been in supposedly light play around sparring sessions of the kind of pub challenge when somebody finds out you learn an MA and comes out with 'What would you do if...' which always ends in escalation. Oh, and I've been in situations that have flared up from nothing, come from nowhere, that have had any result from my running away, to them running away, to my having been kicked unconscious.

So, tell me T, what experience am I lacking to see your object lesson?

Real life experience? I know what it feels like to be bullied, and also to have rules (be they agreed competition rules or generally accepted societal rules) thrown into my face.

Again, all I can see there, is people who don't know or care for rules of essentially a non-violent point-sparring sport can kick the **** out of somebody in the sport. What next? Boxer vs table tennis player? Muay thai vs wing chun? ... Oh wait, I get it!

Except... I said there was no object lesson, so are you saying it puts me in this category?
    So, I'm going to have to end with a "**** you" now, because I'm confused but I do know this is the internet!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

compare the Kendo to Chi sao or some other Wing Chun specific drills, and I think you'll get what T N is after. Ever done or seen someone else chi sao with someone from another style? The "points" you score are often unobserved by outsiders, and the "fouls" they make are equally ignored. Does that make chi sao or kendo or similarily bound drills useless? IMO no, but you must realise the limitations of the drill. Chi sao is not a fight, neither was that Kendo... if you wanna prove fighting skill fight for real. And if you make the mistake of thinking chi sao is like a fight... get ready to lose a real one.

I'm missing the lesson here also. Other than the fact that the Judo guys had probably played some kendo somewhere in their past.

I'm missing the lesson here also. Other than the fact that the Judo guys had probably played some kendo somewhere in their past.
    Get your BJJ BB opinions out of here and let him make his gross generalisations.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I think it has to do with "what we are used to."

To explain -- in my mind what is interesting is how poorly the trained kendo guys did. I would expect that they should be able to easily handle poorly trained, unskilled guys with shinai. But they had all sorts of trouble. And that isn't because the judo guys might have played some kendo but because the kendo guys were facing an intensity (something judo instills) that they were not used to. And what happens when we face an intensity we are not used to is that our technique, our game, etc. crumbles. In a sense, skill is intensity-dependent.

IMO the lesson is we can only get good at doing what we are used to doing, what is famailiar. And what I mean by that is both situationally (are you used to getting out of headlocks? or dealing with genuinely resisiting opponents?) and in terms of violent intensity (are you used to dealing with someone going all out?).

To explain -- in my mind what is interesting is how poorly the trained kendo guys did. I would expect that they should be able to easily handle poorly trained, unskilled guys with shinai. But they had all sorts of trouble. And that isn't because the judo guys might have played some kendo but because the kendo guys were facing an intensity (something judo instills) that they were not used to. And what happens when we face an intensity we are not used to is that our technique, our game, etc. crumbles. In a sense, skill is intensity-dependent.

IMO the lesson is we can only get good at doing what we are used to doing, what is famailiar. And what I mean by that is both situationally (are you used to getting out of headlocks? or dealing with genuinely resisiting opponents?) and in terms of violent intensity (are you used to dealing with someone going all out?).
    You are 100% right. Most people have never fought with weapons at full intensity and don't understand how important the intensity level is with weapons.

So I was right - you're stating the blindingly obvious, without actually stating the most important thing: it's not 'intensity', it's pain. It's really ****ing painful getting clubbed with a shinai: it can easily cause concussion. So yeah, sure they're not used to it, because in kendo you're taught NOT to hit that way. Again, it's down to a boxer vs a table tennis player.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

So the object lesson is that if you pad up a bunch of guys and take away the cutting edge consequences from their training, then judo guys can whack the cr@p out of them until they get close enough to throw them?

um, okay....

You know they rent out these inflatable sumo suits too that are really fun at corporate parties. You can really go after someone with live intensity.

So the object lesson there is that fatter people are more dangerous in a fight unless they gas out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    So the object lesson is that if you pad up a bunch of guys and take away the cutting edge consequences from their training, then judo guys can whack the cr@p out of them until they get close enough to throw them?
    Put on armor and, even with cutting edged weapons, much of the cutting edged consequences are removed.

This is what I talked about -- if YOU don't personally experience it, then you can't get it.

The object lesson is that we only get good at doing what we are used to doing, both situationally and in terms of intensity. Once someone steps outside of what they are used to doing (for example, going at an intensity they aren't used to or if you put them in a situation they aren't used to), then they crumble.

Many TMAists don't believe -- and don't want to believe -- this to be the case.