Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA Full Contact event in NYC

TMA Full Contact event in NYC

Novell G. Bell, Sharif Bey, Richard Garcia Presents:
    All Traditional Martial Art free fighting Tournament (Full-contact)
    All styles welcome:

Date: Saturday, September 26, 2009
    Time: 9:30am - 12:30pm
    Location: Ultimate Karate DoJo 1950 3rdAve 107st, NY, NY (212-426-4666)

Saturday September 26, 2009 Pre-Registration $50.00 by Sept.15 $65.00 day of the event.

All prospective fighters must submit the following information:
    NAME
    SCHOOL/STYLE
    HEIGHT
    YRS. EXPERIENCE

and send via email to sharifbey21@yahoo.com as soon as possible for consideration.

The center referee and the referee general have the authority to DQ any fighter at any time.
    The center referee, the referee general, the fight doctor and EMT staff have the authority to stop the fight at anytime.

Weight Classes: (lbs)
    Lightweight C- 105.6
    Lightweight B – 105.82 – 114.4
    Lightweight A - 114.62 – 123.2
    Middleweight C – 123.42 – 132
    Middleweight A – 142.22 – 154
    Heavyweight C – 154.22 – 165
    Heavyweight B – 165.22 – 176
    Heavyweight A – 176.22 – 187
    Infinite Weight - 187

To submit due to strikes or a lock a fighter must rapidly tap his open hand against any solid surface in view of the referee.

Corners:
    Fighters will be designated as either Blue or Yellow by a colored sash. Each fighter is allowed 2 cornermen (1st and assistant). If at any time either cornerman steps onto the Lei Tai without express permission from the center referee or referee general their fighter will instantly be DQd.

Conduct: Fighters and cornermen are expected to be professional, calm and sportsmanlike at all times. Fighters can receive fouls or become DQd anytime they, their cornermen or anyone affiliated with them deviates from these expectations. The judges, center referee, referee general, promoters, the competing fighter and everyone in attendance are to be respected at all times. Fighters, cornermen, coaches and teammates are to exemplify Wu De/Mo Duk (martial virtue) at all times.

Grappling: Grappling, throwing and joint locking are allowed. A 10 second count will be initiated once fighters begin grappling on their feet. If the fighters do not separate and neither fighter falls at the end of the count they will be separated and the round will continue. If both fighters fall to the floor and continue grappling a new 10 count will begin. (E.g. Fighters grapple for 4 seconds before Yellow throws Blue to the ground. Yellow follows Blue to the floor to pursue a lock. Referee begins new 10 count.) Joint locks may not be applied to a standing opponent. Submissions may occur from the floor through the execution of joint lock techniques, chokes (locking the fingers around the throat is not allowed) or successive strikes. The same legal striking areas and techniques apply to the floor. Fighters will be stood-up if there is no submission or knockout in 10 seconds.

An unintentional illegal strike resulting in the knockout or injury of an opponent will result in a draw.
    If 4 or more consecutive, unanswered strikes are completed to the head by one fighter the referee will separate the fighters and evaluate the condition of the fighter being struck. If at anytime a fighter exhibits signs of being concussed, injured, outmatched or unwilling to fight this will result in TKO.

Scoring: Judges will award one score for a strike to a legal area which visibly affects the other fighter (creates tremble, moves body.) Two scores are awarded if the strike significantly staggers or knocks down the opponent. Two scores for a throw or takedown. No scores are awarded for a slip. A fighter receives three scores for knocking an opponent off the Lei Tai while he remains. No scores are awarded if both fighters fall to the platform. A fighter who is knocked to the floor three times in one round will be TKOd.

Finger and toenails must be kept short and will be inspected prior to the fight.

Rules
    To win: Fighters can win through accumulating more points than their opponent after three rounds, knockout, submission or overpowering them to such an extent that the referee declares a mismatch and stops the fight. Excessive bleeding or significant injury occurring from a legal technique will result in TKO.

Techniques and Fouls: Arm and leg techniques (including elbows and knees) are allowed to any part of the body except: the eyes, knees, toes, throat, groin, spine and back of head. Headbutts, eye gouging and fingernail clawing are not allowed. Unintentional strikes to illegal areas will result in a one point round penalty to the violator. Any strike to an illegal area which is deemed to be intentional by the referee may result in automatic DQ. Fighters struck in illegal areas will be given 5 minutes to recover.

Fighter Attire
    Fighters will only compete with the following items: headgear, 6 ounce fingerless gloves, athletic shorts, undershorts, groin cup and mouthpiece. All items are mandatory. Fighters will not be allowed to compete if they lack any items. Fighters wearing anything more will automatically be disqualified. Shorts may not contain any padding, have loose stings or metal adornments and must be constructed from soft, athletic material. Shoes, shirts, tape or wraps of any kind are not allowed and will result in automatic DQ. Wearing gloves weighing less than 6 ounces will result in DQ. Vaseline application to the fighter’s face for the protection from cuts is mandatory. Vaseline use is restricted to the face and if any is present on any other part of the fighter’s body they are DQ’d. Fighter’s attire and gear will be inspected prior to each fight and may be subject to DQ at any time for a violation of these rules.

Judging
    Four ring judges score the fight. One center referee will enforce rules, conduct the fight and give commands to the fighters. A referee general administrates over the fight, judges and center referee.
    Fights will be composed of three, 90-second rounds using the ten point must system, with one minute rest between rounds. Ring judges attribute scores to fighters for successful application of legal fighting techniques and subtract round points for fouls. Judges then indicate the winner of the round based on total allocation of scores and overall performance (ring control, aggressiveness.) Winner of each round receives 10 round points. Loser receives 8.

Bows: Upon reaching their corners fighter will follow all traditional Lei Tai instructions being given by the center referee. Fighters must wait for the referee’s permission to both enter and exit the Lei Tai.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sounds like a step in the right direction for TCMA. I like the 10 count stuff that promotes the fast throwing and, I guess now, the fast submitting!
    A unique snowflake

In NYC? Uh...isn't this considered MMA? Striking and Submissions? And illegal in NY State?

Am I missing something here?

I was thinking the same thing...

Why not just cross the bridge and do it in NJ? MMA is legal there.

I was also a bit surprised that the "unlimited" weight class starts at only 187 lbs. - is it me, or does that seem a bit low (maybe I'm wrong)

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    no women's division?
    Could you be less specific about the headgear? (jkn)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Greetings,

This reads good though it is not exclusive to Chinese martial arts.

mickey

tis tempting... one of my ex-friends, ex-co-workers, patrick brady(who won like five gold medals in the lei tai - including one fought in brazil) was going to be my corner man in a maryland lei tai event a few years ago, but we had a falling out and i ran him off our job to the extent that he quit and i never got around to going... we needed health insurance to participate... i like the lei tai concept because you can knock them off the raised platform for points.... he fought in the infinite division.

actually i take back the part about him not being my friend... we did apologize to each other, but i haven't seen him in a few years now.

Pat "sumo" Brady is one of the guys I always wanted to fight in lei tai.

I have a feeling that this TMA event will get shut down.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Pat "sumo" Brady is one of the guys I always wanted to fight in lei tai.
    dude... i got him a job with me, he labored for our masonry company... that guy ate asprin in the morning and wore a back brace at work... he might have won a few gold medals, but i called him out on the job for slacking and he quit after threatening me and i simply told him to effing touch me... LOL... he didn't and left. he treats his wife like a piece of poop... he really has a bad attitude problem... seriously, i am not lying.

my comment's more along the lines that the only times i've ever seen that guy fight, he relied on sumoing other dudes off the lei tai.... the whole fight....
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    my comment's more along the lines that the only times i've ever seen that guy fight, he relied on sumoing other dudes off the lei tai.... the whole fight....
    he's definitely not dumb... and standing at almost 6'4" and weighing in somewhere around 200lbs, he definitely uses his mass and presence to his advantage, but judging from his work ethnic, i don't see him having a heavy fist... spends more time yapping on the cell phone or just yapping in general on how he can beat everyone up that is around him... he once bragged how he beat up some guy for owing him a dollar.

I pretty much love all formats of fighting, but I also hate getting in trouble with the law, especially something potentially a FELONY

MY professional opinion, having been in the trenches against the NY commission since 2002, is that they would consider this illegal and shut it down.

Even at the unfortunate event of my friend's funneral, the talk was that the new NY commissioner has come in with the specific agenda of shutting down all unregulated, unsanctioned shows

Best of luck, but be forewarned
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-31-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....