Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sept/Oct 2009 Issue

lol. sounds alot like a buddy of mines license situation.

i really want a motorcycle now though, so im going to have to find someone to help me get my regular drivers license so i can sign up for motorcycle class.

only problem is i dont have any friends LOL
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

My my, but you gentlemen are exemplary examples of CMA practitioners...

...well, when you get your issue, Lucas, be sure to get this thread back OT and post your opinions of its content. Or, if that redhead mailwoman gets you to tap out with a guillotine, well, post that on the MMA forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...well, when you get your issue, Lucas, be sure to get this thread back OT and post your opinions of its content. Or, if that redhead mailwoman gets you to tap out with a guillotine, well, post that on the MMA forum.
    LOL... if lucas' mail woman is a redhead, he's in for some trouble. LMAO!!

My my, but you gentlemen are exemplary examples of CMA practitioners...
    somehow the word "classic" got confused with the word "natural"... we are only a classic because we are naturals... being natural is NOT the trend these days - it's for the love and power of glory and money... being real is infact being a classic anymore.

just picked up Sept '09 and was wondering...

who is this "taii gihk yahn" guy?
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 08-18-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    who is this guy named "taii gihk yahn"?
    ummmm... a mis-print?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    ummmm... a mis-print?
    impossible; Gene is the guy that tells the Pope when he's wrong, so how could he make a mistake like that?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    You're firing on all cylinders Gene, well done!

I particularly liked the way you linked Sifu Salvatera's story to the history of CMA moving into this country. You see a lot about CMA history in China, but how it came to be here is not well told at all.

And the mixed-culture issue is never discussed here, but very common in American CMA schools. Thanks for bringing that out of the Sifu.

Good point, CMA has been taught to non-Chinese since the late 1950's. There is a lot of stories to be told on both sides of the coin, there was a ton of resentment from the Chinese communites towards the Chinese teachers that opened up to all races and their students. The mixed culture, the friendships that developed, the knowledge that was passed on and it's current status.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

still no mag

i sent an email to sales@martialartsmart.com

thanks for the suggestion and contact info Gene.

oops i just realized in my email i said the August/September issue ><
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

double plus un-good

Wow, my apologies on that taai gihk yahn. Should I change your forum member name to accomodate?

Lucas, give the TN office a call. Ask for Chris Stephens. Tell him you know me, that your a Cubs fan and that you like peanut butter and he'll get it sorted. Actually, you don't have to tell him all that, but the Cubs and peanut butter will surely get his attention faster than dropping my name might.

Ok, seriously, my apologies to both of you. We can't always be perfect.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No appologies neccessary on my part. I just called Chris, very nice professional guy, hes sending out my issue today, plus as a bonus hes sending me the prior issue as well!

I did drop your name however, but didnt mention the Cubs or the Penut Butter. Dont sell yourself short, you sly dog you.

Personally, I couldnt be happier.

On a funny side note, Chris said that maybe my mailperson is a big kungfu fan. haha

Thanks again!

Wow, my apologies on that taai gihk yahn. Should I change your forum member name to accomodate?
    well, as now you're 2 for 2 w/profile name related goofs, I shudder as to what the outcome of that might be! I'd hate to be known as "Hard Work's sore-butted boy"!
    (btw, I miss him - it's dull w/out him here - I haven't been called an amoral glorified kickboxer since I can't remember! in fact, if you really want to apologize for your crass error, you can bring him back...)

[runs for cover under hail of pelted fruit]

seriously though, thanks for putting the pic in, that was very mensch of you - I got the humor of putting it up alongside of all the "esteemed" masters teaching that weekend...

how about this: instead of reinstating HW108 (sorry, bub), if I were to write an article about taiji body mechanics, would you print it? I promise, I won't put none of them book learning big words in there neither...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I got the humor of putting it up alongside of all the "esteemed" masters teaching that weekend...
    which just goes to show that being "esteemed" is merely a matter of perception... besides gene, the only people worth noting are those who sat at the same table as us... everyone else ignored us because we didn't have an ID badge to signify that we paid our dues... what i found most interesting is the fact that even though we were offered to eat for free, regardless of the fact that people did infact have to pay for their meal there, only two of us three accepted the offer of deception.
    how about this: instead of reinstating HW108 (sorry, bub), if I were to write an article about taiji body mechanics, would you print it? I promise, I won't put none of them book learning big words in there neither...
    you got a taste of momentary issue fame and now you ask for the world... this magazine is for people who pay their dues and their respects... it's not wise to ask for recongition, but rather allow for a chance invitation.

which just goes to show that being "esteemed" is merely a matter of perception... besides gene, the only people worth noting are those who sat at the same table as us...
    I met a number of folks who I enjoyed taking to who didn't sit with us

everyone else ignored us because we didn't have an ID badge to signify that we paid our dues...
    I spoke to many people at the festival; no one "ignored" me as a result of lacking an ID

what i found most interesting is the fact that even though we were offered to eat for free, regardless of the fact that people did infact have to pay for their meal there, only two of us three accepted the offer of deception.
    yeah, in retrospect I should have bought my own food; but OTOH, no way was I going to fork out $25 for sub-standard fare;

you got a taste of momentary issue fame
    not really; I've actually had more significant "fame", as you cal it, in other venues, which included the use of my actual name, so this really doesn't qualify

and now you ask for the world... this magazine is for people who pay their dues and their respects... it's not wise to ask for recongition, but rather allow for a chance invitation.
    lol; it's hardly asking for the world - it's an article in a magazine; besides, if I submitted an article, Gene would read it, and he would ultimately decide if it was "print worthy", it's really no different than how anyone else would do it; I certainly don't expect Gene to just agree to my "request" and then just print whatever I send - but I think he gets that, based on the tenor of my post (you know, those subtle nuances of social interaction); as for paying dues and respects, that's hardly the sole criteria (and rather non-specific ones) for getting published, it's also about content; finally, it's not about recognition per se, it's about proffering a perspective from which (hopefully) intelligent discussion can ensue; recognition is the by-product, and not necessarily desirable, TBH;in fact, I've had offers over the years to write / publish which I turned down because I didn't feel it was time to "come out"; now it's time, so I'm putting it out there;

any other proscriptions or was it just a slow day and you decided to go fishing?
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 08-20-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Why didn't you two fight to the death when we met?

That would have given me a rocking story for my ZSF report.

tgy - feel free to submit an article. Here's our submission guidelines.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips