Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: direct path to enligthement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Well I was being verbiotically insucculant!
    HA! (and I mean that in a non-Rinzai way)

...but what would I do without you to make my comments "more" incomprehensible!

LOL!!:
    good God - I may at last have found my true calling!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    good God - I may at last have found my true calling!
    It is always a good thing to pursue what you do well...

...and you DO bold "Y"s very well!

Keep up the good work!

...and you DO bold "Y"s very well!
    well, I was tying to avoid the "T"'s...

well, I was tying to avoid the "T"'s...
    Bolding "Y"s is one thing...that adds verbicostical salubrinotical iconiclastocity, while messing with the "T"s is just being silly!

Bolding "Y"s is one thing...that adds verbicostical salubrinotical iconiclastocity, while messing with the "T"s is just being silly!
    true, because then it would be the vessel with the pesyle and that would just be weird (although I heard that they broke it, so it probably doesn't matter...)

BTW, they should rename this thread

the direct path to HELL!

that's right, to Hell, because we're in Hell, welcome to Hell!

true, because then it would be the vessel with the pesyle and that would just be weird (although I heard that they broke it, so it probably doesn't matter...)
    I always prefer "flagon the the dragon"...er I mean, "the flagon with the dragon"..

...Whew....THAT was close!!

King of Jesters....and Jester of Kings!!!

the direct path to HELL!

that's right, to Hell, because we're in Hell, welcome to Hell!
    I prefer to think of it as this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lNE...eature=related

逃不脱别恨离愁
    记忆变腐朽
    重新解释的理由
    是红尘看不透

只身闯入身不由己的春秋
    且等来世共享天伦

Poor human beings.... keep reincarnating due to taking the thief who comes up with clever reasoning to be the master .
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lNE...eature=related

逃不脱别恨离愁
    记忆变腐朽
    重新解释的理由
    是红尘看不透

只身闯入身不由己的春秋
    且等来世共享天伦

Poor human beings.... keep reincarnating due to taking the thief who comes up with clever reasoning to be the master .
    Beware the thief who pretends he is the sheriff!

Pity the fool who takes the TRUTH for a Lie and a Lie for the truth!!

Beware the blind who think they can see!

Don't follow the sheep who follows lemmings!

Be somebody, or be somebody's fool!

Beware Greeks bearing gifts!

Don't pay the ferryman until he takes you to the other side!

What goes up, must come down!

A penny saved, is a penny earned!

While the cats away, the mice will play!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

A cup half empty, is still half full!

oh yeah.....and:

"Those who realize on their own do not need to seek outside. If you insist absolutely that a teacher is necessary in order to attain liberation, that is not right."

“From the first not a thing IS!”

-Hui-Neng

“The Diamond Sutra”

“…in reality there is no formula that gives rise to the consummation of incomparable enlightenment.”

“…there was no formula by which the Tathagata attained the consummation of incomparable enlightenment.”

there is actually no formula for the attainment of the consummation of incomparable enlightenment. The reason herein is that Tathagata is a signification implying all formulas. In case anyone says the Tathagata attained the consummation of incomparable enlightenment, I tell you Subhuti, that there is no formula by which the Buddha attained it!”

He who, without relying on the teaching of a master, sees Dharma from events is called one of sharp abilities. He who understands from the spoken teachings of a master is called one of dumb abilities”

When in accordance with my understanding, you rely on neither people nor Dharma….Why? Because when you esteem knowledge, you are deceived by men and Dharma.”

-Bodhidharma Anthology

Beware fools, who take Masters for thieves, for their reincarnations shall be without end!

There is a teenager who loves Apple Iphone application design.

So, the teenager asks his parents to buy him lots of programing books....etc to study and learn how to program and write software for the Iphone.

Months after reading, the teenager can name all the programing language comands, syntex......etc.

However, month after month when the parents ask him when is he going to come out with the application software, the answer is always " I know this and I know that and all the commands......syntex....etc" but never have a simple software written.

So, after 3 months the parents force him to take an intensive Apple Iphone programing course at the local university to learn from an instructor who knows how to writing software.

Well, the kid resists with pride.... know it all.....

The parents just force him to go.

After a week of learning and guiding by a teacher, the teenager writting his own program. after a month, the teenager is fluent and operate by himself writting software as he likes with or without teacher, books, reference.... since those are just aids when needed, as needed only.

At that point the parents told him, so there is a different between Can program and book reading knowing everything right?

Cultivation in Buddhism is no different then lwritting software. Can one do it? or One keep arguing about this sutra, rejecting that master..... but never get to the point of being able to program or write a software dis attach on the reference books or the teachers which are aids when it is needs.

The song of enligthenment said

三身四智体中圆 
    八解六通心地印
    上士一决一切了 

The three type of body, Four types or wisdom, complete within the Non Dual.
    Eight type of liberation, six type of spiritual penetration, among with the seal of the heart ground.
    The superior peneterate it once and all is done.

Well, can one do it? if yes, then what are those? can one evoke it at will? can one evoke and disolve it at any instant?

if not then one needs books and masters....etc. and even with books and masters sometimes one still cant penetrate the delusion until one's cultivation is mature for the triggle.

But then, hahaha, it is a free will world. everyone lives according to their karma as they likes it. some just wants to argue, some wants to enligthent, some doesnt care, some just want some entertainment in a New age way, Some wants some ego boosting speaking looks wise......etc. everything is ok!
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-06-2009 at 01:16 PM.

There once was a beautiful 16 month old little girl (okay.....my daughter). While sitting on her Papa's lap (me) watching "Hi Ho" (Snow White), she saw an apple slice sitting on a plate on the living room table.

The little girl said, "Dis?" Her Papa, being a genius (), noticed that she was pointing at the apple slice and wanted it.

Her Papa, being a genius (), said to the little girl, "You can have it!

The little girl, once again, pointed to the apple slice and said, "Dis?"

Her Papa, being a genius (), said to the little girl, "If you want it, go get it! You can do it!"

The little girl, used to having Mama and Papa do everything for her, started to get a little bit frustrated. She pointed at the apple slice with more vehemence and with a little bit of a whine said, "DIS!!"

Her Papa, being a genius (), said to the little girl, "You're a big girl! You can have the apple, but you have to go get it yourself!"

So the little girl slid down off her Papa's lap, tottered over to the coffee table, and picked up the slice of apple. She put it in her mouth, turned around, walked back to her Papa (Did i mention he was a genius? ), and climbed back in to his lap with a big smile on her face!

Her Papa, being a genius () looked at her with a big smile himself and said enthusiastically, "What a big girl you are! See.....you CAN do it all by yourself! What a BIG girl you are!"

The little girl sat on her Papa's lap with the apple slice in her mouth, a smile on her face, and continued watching "Hi Ho!" (Snow White) with her Papa, who is a genius, in case you didn't know!

As the two sat watching "Hi Ho!", unbeknownst to them in the heavenly ethers, Angels sang, sweet scented flowers fell from heaven all around them, and Buddha smiled!

Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 08-06-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Well, can one do it? if yes, then what are those? can one evoke it at will? can one evoke and disolve it at any instant?
    Yes one can do it! And it has been proclaimed possible by major Masters! In fact, it has been empathically proclaimed by Major Masters, but apparently YOU know better because you are much more wise then they!

if not then one needs books and masters....etc. and even with books and masters sometimes one still cant penetrate the delusion until one's cultivation is mature for the triggle.
    Duh! I’m pretty sure I said that!

But then, hahaha, it is a free will world. everyone lives according to their karma as they likes it. some just wants to argue, some wants to enligthent, some doesnt care, some just want some entertainment in a New age way, Some wants some ego boosting speaking looks wise......etc. everything is ok!
    Who is the one here that presumes to be SO WISE that he can tell what direct experiences others have had or haven’t had?

Who is the one who cannot understand the teachings of those Masters?

Who is the one who cannot, or will not, resolve an apparent discrepancy in the Sutra when asked to do so?

Who is the one trying to look wise while unable to support his view within anything at all?

It is pretty well evident that, REASON, is NOT the path to enlightenment. Direct experience is the only path to realization; direct experience without conceptualization or attachments of any kind!

But even Buddha used “expedient means”, in fact he RECOMMENDS IT! Yes, campers, Buddha actually used WORDS to communicate his understanding and experience to others! Hmmmm, a novel idea that….using words to communicate the indescribable! But heaven forbid anyone else should do the same thing, even though Buddha (and Hui-Neng) says they should! That would make it appear they know more then they actually do! That might even make them look like they think they are “wise” and then fools won’t listen to them!

Lao-Tzu didn’t’ even use words to express his knowledge of Tao, did he? Of course not, because the only “truly wise people” are those who can’t communicate very well.

Or perhaps the problem is your own ego?

Hmmmmm! That can’t be it…it is the other guy! HE doesn’t know anything, only YOU do! Of course you cannot express yourself very well and that “confirms” your wisdom, doesn’t it?

It is a SIN to be able to express yourself well, is that it? It is irrelevant that perhaps I have practiced doing so for many years, and perhaps I might even be a little bit gifted at it. But because I can do it better than most other people, it proves am motivated by ego to "look" wise!

Yeah….THAT”S IT!!! I am the foolish one here!

While clear and/or eloquent speech is NOT proof of understanding, neither does it demonstrate one does not understand!

That should be obvious to anyone whose EGO is not involved in trying to be right!

I got a question for you guys. How would you personally define enlightenment and could you personally recognize an enlightened person if you met one?

Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown
    Yes one can do it! And it has been proclaimed possible by major Masters!

In fact, it has been empathically proclaimed by Major Masters, but apparently YOU know better because you are much more wise then they!

Your reaction and speculation are accepted even though it doesnt answer the questions but turn into a personal You You me me reaction.

The song of enligtenment says:

宗亦通。说亦通。定慧圆明不滞空。
    非但我今独达了。恒沙诸佛体皆同。

Fluent and clear with principle,
    Fluent and clear with explanation,
    Dhyana and Wisdom is non dual and not attached to emptiness
    This is not only me has attained, all the countless Buddhas are the same.

Is there a master, a You, a me, within the Non Dual?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.