Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Timeframes: Striking vs. grappling

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I recall a clip I used to have on a DVD awhile back, the whole DVD was a compilation of knife attacks from all different sources and one of the attacks I remember the most was of a guy attacking someone in a store with a knife and he was stabbing them a few times when someone smacks him on the head with an ALUMINUM baseball bat !
    Over and over on the head and body and such and they guy turns to him and tries to stab him WHILE STILL getting hit !!
    The bat eventually hits the arm with the knife and it goes flying and the attacker is eventually beaten down, but it took a bunch of hits with an aluminum bat to do it !
    Actually, it was a mop handle... and yet another example of an edged weapon attack with grappling/groundfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Actually, it was a mop handle... and yet another example of an edged weapon attack with grappling/groundfighting.
    Not that one, it was a different one, I recall the mop handle though.

I remember working with a guy on knife defenses. He was an assistant instructor for wolfe's system of self-defense and bjj grappler. They worked a lot on knife defenses so I asked him to show me with me being the assailant, using a fake blade prop.

His strategy was controling the arm/weapon and his next strategy was taking me down to isolate the weapon

In either cases, he was slice everwhere - neck, throat, ribs, thighs, wrist and stabbed too. It would take him around 5 minutes before he could isolate the weapon. It was an ugly situation and a wake up call for both of us.

I have no knife fighting experience so its not like I knew how to slice him.

We also did some sparring. Like I said he was assistant instructor and I was student grade 5 (based onWT structure). Learned a lot - grappling and takedowns are pretty effective, but there were glimpses of light there on how to use wt to neutralize it. Great session all in all

Come to think of it - he was a really nice guy. Kinda hard to find such guys to train with without egos getting in the way.
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper 2.0 View Post
    In either cases, he was slice everwhere - neck, throat, ribs, thighs, wrist and stabbed too. It would take him around 5 minutes before he could isolate the weapon. It was an ugly situation and a wake up call for both of us..
    Yep... it's always a wake up call for the "knife expert" the first time he goes hard against a truly resisting opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    you said your self when the arm is extended thats when the grappler shoots thats the same way china is applied onece its missed and extended for a breif period of time it can be snapped

No I said as soon as the arm (and especially the elbow) is away from the body is when a grappler would move, not when the arm is fully extended.

Your arm can be too high because you are defending against my strikes and I’ll move, your arm can be slightly out of place defensivly and I’ll move, they can be coming back after throwing a combination and I’ll move, I am not waiting for them to be straight or extended or waiting until they have missed their target.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    you guys ever watch any shuai jiao competitions or matches? plenty of chinese grappling there. lots of vids. look it up.

I am not arguing against Chinese wrestling being impractical or not working, I am talking about chin na standing locks not being a high percentage move when standing with an opponent

Yep... it's always a wake up call for the "knife expert" the first time he goes hard against a truly resisting opponent.

This is so true I spent years training knife defences in my traditional school, I got very good at it (or so I thought) then a few of us got together to train realistically after class and to say the least it was an eye opener.

The first thing that was noticeable was that a few of the really senior students couldn’t attack properly with the knife, we were so conditioned to leaving the knife out there for our opponent to do the disarm that we continued to do this for quite a while. The second thing we noticed was once we got over this bad habit we got cut, an awful lot, so much so that all of us started to really question our training and the usefulness of doing any weapons defence training.

We also noticed when going full out that you hit grappling range very quickly with a knife and you had better know how to grapple standing and on the ground to have a hope in hells change of surviving.

These days I do virtually no weapons defence training, just MMA and grappling but on the odd occasion I do pull the training blade out I am reminded how dangerous weapons are and how grateful I am that I can now grapple a little bit.
    Last edited by Frost; 09-01-2009 at 06:34 AM.

the problem traditional schools knife defense is the techniques were orginally intended to be used against a sword not a knife

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

the problem traditional schools knife defense is the techniques were orginally intended to be used against a sword not a knife
    LOL... I can't believe you guys are still arguing with this troll.

what does me trolling have to do with the comment you clicked quoted???? are you that simple you cant figure out how to post properly?

no ones arguing about knife defense here genius

what does me trolling have to do with the comment you clicked quoted???? are you that simple you cant figure out how to post properly?

no ones arguing about knife defense here genius
    Hi trollboy.

Hi trollboy.
    boy your just full of razor sharp wit today arent you?

you running around in your back yard chasing a chicken in preperation for your trip to colorado?

No my schools knife defence came from a treacher who had actually defended himself against a knife, the problem is that what might have worked for him might not work for anyome else especially if you don't train them in an alive enviroment (oh lord now i sound like matt thornton).

What starts out as his way of defending himself becomes over time in a dead system THE way to defend against that attack, there is little if no room for free thought so it becomes regimented, rigid and useless.

i know i know its a bad habit i have