Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Timeframes: Striking vs. grappling

Chin na is "crap" only when u believe that it's something that you can force to happen. Instead, when the arm, position, body etc presents itself in which an arm lock can be employed then chin na skills are useful. It's something that should be applied passively rather than forced upon the opponent.

If u don't have the chin na skills and such an opportunity presented itself (eg the guy was knocked hard to the ground or against a wall from a good punch), then u wouldn't know to apply the lock.

So ya, chin na has its time and place. One's training is not about high percentage vs low percentage neccessarily.
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Which brings me to my point - does the timeframe of an exchange get longer (i.e. you get more time to react/act) as you move to clinch, grappling, ground, etc?

Is there another reason why people move to clinch or the ground, other than maybe the opponent is not so well trained in it (if at all)?
    Reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    IMHO,
    The biggest reason is the type of power generation platform is not capable to produce power to support the action at the contact.

thus, it defauts into pure mascular power and those who have more muscular strength and use to the condition via practice win.

I am actually feel sad to see WCK no longer has the power platform to do the job.
    What are you even talking about? What 'power platform of WCK' are you talking that is no longer here? Can you elaborate?
    Why do you assume WCK has use pure muscle power to operate between stirking and clinch range? And, with this statement, do you speak for all WCK?

Maybe you find your WCK is missing some things, but that is only your WCK. To imply that you are sure that something is missing from all modern WCK as you have done several times here is rediculous. To make such a silly statements, you would have to know all present day WCK, and also all past WCK, going back hundreds of years to know if anything is now 'missing'. I highly doubt you're that old.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 08-10-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Lol- so fine, assume he's talking about his wck or someone else's. Big deal - do u agree with the concept or idea he is trying to make or not? Really..why pick on such things?

Hahah abd ya I see the irony of me posting about this myself.

To the topic - time frame to hit gets shorter as distance closes in. But the fighting time frame may have been extended by going into the clinch/ground
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

I'll have to wait for his reply before I can comment. I am not sure I even understand what he is saying is now missing from WCK. This isn't the first or second time he's said it lately.

As far as picking, you're right, it is ironical, you're doing just that with your reply post to mine. What do you think about what he said?

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper 2.0 View Post

To the topic - time frame to hit gets shorter as distance closes in. But the fighting time frame may have been extended by going into the clinch/ground

That is true, however, IMHO, time frame depends also on power generation platform.

IE: a jumbo jet which has to take a long run way to take off. A bomb which just blast as triggle. ....etc

Time can become non linear....
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-10-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    really have you ever trained it? or do you just speak on matters you have no knowledge of?
    like i said your own bjj employs chin na rather lousy china na but chin na never the less but yet you mock it this just shows you dont know what your talking about

Have you trained in it? I thought your background was karate and boxing, now you are an expert in chin na and dim mak... who did you learn from?

I spent over a decade in Chinese arts learning various chin na methods and everything knifefighter and Merry says is in my experience spot on: there is too much room for movement on your feet to make standing locks work in a one on one environment. If you have buddies with and you need to restrain someone then that’s different,, but even then (as someone has already pointed out) it can be difficult. Just look at when police officers try to use them on a suspect more often than not it becomes a free for all and they swarm the guy, pin him to the ground ,isolate his arms and then apply the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Have you trained in it? I thought your background was karate and boxing, now you are an expert in chin na and dim mak... who did you learn from?

I spent over a decade in Chinese arts learning various chin na methods and everything knifefighter and Merry says is in my experience spot on: there is too much room for movement on your feet to make standing locks work in a one on one environment. If you have buddies with and you need to restrain someone then that’s different,, but even then (as someone has already pointed out) it can be difficult. Just look at when police officers try to use them on a suspect more often than not it becomes a free for all and they swarm the guy, pin him to the ground ,isolate his arms and then apply the restraints.
    karate and boxing are my two main arts however it seems like you dont realize china na and dim mak are in karate

so whats your point every technique can be difficult to apply against a resisting opponent particularly when you dont train it thats bloody obvious

most police officers dont know how to properly restrain some one and again you think the avergae cop practices his holds on a daily basis lol come on

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

The "chin na and dim mak" in Karate are as like the striking in BJJ, LOL !!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The "chin na and dim mak" in Karate are as like the striking in BJJ, LOL !!
    um what? your post doesnt make sense?

um what? your post doesnt make sense?
    Actually, yes it does.
    Dim Mak and Chin na in Karate is as big a joke as striking in BJJ.

Actually, yes it does.
    Dim Mak and Chin na in Karate is as big a joke as striking in BJJ.
    no but your second one does
    its a joke according to who?

no but your second one does
    its a joke according to who?
    Well, to be honest, pretty much anyone in Japan and Okinawa, I found that out when I was over there, by the way, I h ave been doing Karate ( Okinawan Goju and Kyokushin) since 82.

A few years ago I had a conversation with Higaonna sensei in which we discussed Bunkai and Himitsu and I kind of put him on the space and asked if the "recent" bunkai and himitsu were a case of making something that wasn't there into something and he just gave me that shy smile that most Asian do when they get caught...LOL !
    Fact is there is more talk of dim mak and chin na in N.America by caucasians than there is in Japan and Okinawa.

A few years ago I had a conversation with Higaonna sensei in which we discussed Bunkai and Himitsu and I kind of put him on the space and asked if the "recent" bunkai and himitsu were a case of making something that wasn't there into something and he just gave me that shy smile that most Asian do when they get caught...LOL !
    Fact is there is more talk of dim mak and chin na in N.America by caucasians than there is in Japan and Okinawa.
    china na is widely taught by higanonna he even demonstrated dim mak on human weapon

china na is widely taught by higanonna he even demonstrated dim mak on human weapon
    I think you need to re-read my post.