Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SHAOLIN - the 2011 film

SPJ for the win

I just got it. Hope to watch it tonight.

Shaolin (新少林寺)
    China/Hong Kong
    Period action drama
    Directed by Benny Chan (陳木勝)

Shaolin
    By Derek Elley
    Tue, 01 February 2011, 12:47 PM (HKT)

Potentially epic tale ends up as okay popcorn entertainment. Beyond Asia, largely ancillary.
    Story

Central China, early years of the Republic, c. 1920s. In Dengfeng, Henan province, a battle for the city has just taken place between rival warlords and, as winter approaches, the monks of Shaolin Temple help shelter and feed the locals. Defeated warlord Huo Long (Chen Zhihui) takes refuge in the temple, where he is hunted down and killed by victorious warlord Hou Jie (Andy Lau), even after he has handed over to Hou all his plunder. After taking control of the city, Hou tells his deputy Cao Man (Nicholas Tse), whom he took under his wing like a younger brother years earlier, to assassinate fellow warlord Song Hu (Shi Xiaohong) who wants to divide up the city between them. Hou's wife (Fan Bingbing) begs him not to, as Song is Hou's sworn elder brother, but Hou refuses. At the dinner where the assassination is to take place, the plan goes awry, and Hou just manages to escape with his young daughter Shengnan, who's seriously wounded. Hou takes refuge in Shaolin Temple and begs the monks to help save her, but Shengnan dies. Enraged, Hou's wife walks out on him. After meeting itinerant monk Wu Dao (Jackie Chan), who works in Shaolin's kitchen, Hou enrols at the temple as a novice, despite the enmity of many monks - including Jing Neng (Wu Jing), Jing Hai (Yu Shaoqun) and Jing Kong (Shi Yanneng) - over his former behaviour towards them. However, he gradually wins their trust and becomes a fully fledged Shaolin monk called Jing Jue. Meanwhile, Cao, who double-crossed Hou over Song's assassination, has done a deal with British military types to help them build a railway in exchange for automatic guns. Now crazed with power, Cao asks Hou to re-join him, but Hou refuses, setting the two on collision course - and Shaolin Temple with them.
    Review

Though the Chinese title (新少林寺, New Shaolin Temple) signals it as a remake of the 1982 Mainland movie that introduced Jet Li (李連杰), Shaolin is much more just a popcorn action drama reminiscent of Hong Kong productions shot in China 20 years ago. The plot also centres on a man who turns to the temple for redemption, and the movie also features actor-cum-wushu Grand Master Yu Hai (于海) from the original, but the setting is updated to the early 20th century - with a strong message for the present about "the Great Powers falling over themselves to get into China", to quote the opening titles - and there's none of the 1982 film's obsessive focus on training and technique that was such a part of martial arts films of the era. As a popcorn movie, Shaolin is an entertaining two-hour-plus ride, with strongly drawn characters, some good action sequences (Andy Lau's 劉德華 early escape with axes and horses, the temple's final destruction), and handsome production values with a grey, dusty look to the temple scenes. Its main problem, as with many of director Benny Chan's (陳木勝) films (Gen-X Cops 特警新人類, City under Seige 全城戒備), is that it still promises much more than it actually delivers.

The movie's original version was reportedly around three hours, and a lot appears to have disappeared in the cutting room while trying to get it down to just over two. After a broad-limbed beginning, which draws the plight of the locals following a battle between opposing warlords, and sets up the forthcoming conflict between Lau's ruthless general, Nicholas Tse's (謝霆鋒) loose-cannon deputy, and with the monks themselves, the film sketches Lau's personal life with his wife and young daughter, followed by a well-paced restaurant sequence in which Lau's assassination plot goes horribly wrong. From thereon, however, Shaolin gradually abandons any pretence at being an epic character drama and becomes a formula action movie. Even Jackie Chan's (成龍) nicely insouciant character of a monk-cook is interestingly set up but then pretty much thrown away: the veteran star gets one witty fight sequence with kitchen implements and kids but is never really incorporated into the plot. Actress Fan Bingbing (范冰冰) simply disappears during the middle portion before being resurrected as a plot convenience.

The film still has more going for it on a character level than Tsui Hark's (徐克) Detective Dee (狄仁杰之通天帝國), which also started promisingly, and the action and martial arts, staged by veterans Corey Yuen (元奎) and Yuen Tak (元德), feature some solid business without resorting to fantastic visual effects. But with this kind of cast and budget, Shaolin could have been much more. Lau's classiest acting comes in the first half-hour as the unreformed bad guy, where he's well supported by Tse as his ambitious sidekick; Lau's later playing of the redeemed monk and Tse's power-crazed warlord are much more formulaic. Some of the best inter-action is between the trio of monks played by action star Wu Jing (吳京, Wind Blast 西風烈), up-and-coming Yu Shaoqun (余少群, the young Mei Lanfang in Forever Enthralled 梅蘭芳) and dopey-looking Shi Yanneng (釋延能). All have professional wushu training and likable screen presences, with Shi an actual Shaolin disciple for good measure.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I so didn't watch it last night....

...I fell asleep before I could even get it into the DVD player.

I was so excited all day, looking forward to watching this, but I guess I've been working too hard, because I got home and collapsed after dinner. My wife thought that was hilarious. She's into The Good Wife, and there was a new episode on last night, so she wasn't going to let me have the TV until after it was over, and I was asleep long before that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

Although I confess that I liked Detective Dee better, at least in terms of Chollywood and Andy Lau.

I'll have a more complete review soon, after I get some tea in me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can see why the Abbot endorsed this

Shaolin is well written - a cut above the average kung fu flick for sure. It's character driven, which stands to reason with Andy Lau in the lead. Lau has the acting chops to give his role plenty of gravitas, but it detracts somewhat from the final fight, as Lau isn't known for his martial skills. Fortunately, there's lots of other fights in the film, but the choreography relies heavily on wire work and CGI. many of the wire work jumps look hokey. The wire work falls are good however. There are some really good falling stunts. Jackie Chan is very Jackie Chan. He interjects some much needed humor in what is a generally depressing film about war ravaged peasants and brutal warlords. Jackie's scenes really stick out. Yu Hai, Wu Jing and of course Yanneng (aka Xingyu) all turn in some decent fights, once you get past the wire work. Their acting performances outshine their choreography however. If you practice Songshan Shaolin qixingquan, there's a lot of quick references to it. That makes it a better film for those who practice this form. The sets and costumes are spectacular. I love the look of the Shaolin Temple set, which was built to scale apparently. I also liked the costumes, which were opulent for the warlords and ragtag for the monks. I enjoyed the way the monks were depicted too - very compassionate - that's surely why the Abbot endorsed it. There were several scenes that I really liked - a bit over-romanticized views of Shaolin monks, but then I know too many of them personally, so I'm jaded in that regard. Yanneng is great. His character, well, it's just like I remember him. He really carries an authenticity for a Shaolin monk role.

This won't have the overwhelming impact of the 1982 film. How could it? That film changed everything. And I'm not sure how well it will play in America, if it ever gets here. It might do okay. It does have cartoonish Caucasian villains, but then, so does Ip Man 2.

I'll have more to say in print in our next issue. I don't want to spoil it for anyone by saying much more...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's a link to watch it online if you want.

http://uploadville.com/544vfh2epr7z
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

From WSJ

I really enjoy Napolitano's coverage of Chollywood.

* February 10, 2011, 5:54 PM HKT
    ‘Shaolin’ and Director Benny Chan
    By Dean Napolitano

“The Shaolin Temple” from 1982 was remarkable for two firsts: The movie marked Jet Li’s big-screen debut and it was the first time the legendary temple officially sanctioned any film. Almost three decades later, “Shaolin — the new movie from leading Hong Kong director Benny Chan — has become only the second film to earn the Zen Buddhist temple’s stamp of approval.

The film stars Andy Lau, Nicholas Tse and Jackie Chan, and takes place during the Warlord Era, after the fall of the Qing Dynasty in the early 20th century. Mr. Lau plays a brutal army leader who loses his wife and child in battle and retreats to the legendary Shaolin Temple in search of salvation.

“It’s totally different [from the Jet Li film,]” the 49-year-old director says. “Will the audience expect that Andy Lau can fight like Jet Li? I don’t think so. So first, I set up the drama. The story is more important than the action, but I know that the audience will expect action. Is it the same as Jet Li’s action? Of course not, but you will see something fresh.”

The 200-million-yuan ($30.5 million) production, which opened late last month, takes on an ancient icon, but it still showcases his cinematic trademark: super-charged excitement, tense drama and strong visuals.

Q. This is your fourth movie with Jackie Chan. How is your working relationship?

A. “Who Am I?” [1998] was the first time I worked with him. He was a big star and also the boss. At that moment I was a new film director and wanted to learn more about how to make a big-budget movie. The second time it was my story and my picture. He trusted me. I tried to change his acting style. You never see Jackie Chan cry in his movies. So for “New Police Story” [2004] I asked: “What is a hero?” Before that he was a superhero, but I wanted him to be a man. The third time, [with the 2006 action comedy “Rob-B-Hood] was the happiest time I worked with him. We didn’t need to say anything on the set because we knew each other.

Q. In recent years Hong Kong directors have focused on making films for the mainland China market. What are the challenges?

A. We try to balance. The difference with the cultures is the problem for us. But for me, I’m quite lucky because I make action movies—action movies are the international language. I want to make movies for the Hong Kong audience. But I know that because of the market, the investors focus on mainland China first.

Q. “Shaolin” is an action movie. But the film also has a softer side.

A. There are strong Buddhism beliefs that teach benevolence and forgiveness. I wanted to bring this message out in “Shaolin.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just bought the DVD last night (along with a Theresa Tseng compilation, I'm such a softie, 月亮代表我的心。 。 。)

If I'm not in an insulin coma after my post training meal I'll start watching it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

It is my opinion that the movie sucked pretty hard. They had the chance to make a quieter movie about kung fu and buddhism, but they passed this opportunity and created yet another cookie-cutter fearless/crouching dragon/hero-type boring flick that will just fade from your memory in the next day. The emo mustache twirling villain, the cringe-worthy, over-the-top acting...argh, so boring, dull, repetitive and uninteresting.

Highlights of the movie include shaolin monk getting drop kicked in the face, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    It is my opinion that the movie sucked pretty hard. They had the chance to make a quieter movie about kung fu and buddhism, but they passed this opportunity and created yet another cookie-cutter fearless/crouching dragon/hero-type boring flick that will just fade from your memory in the next day. The emo mustache twirling villain, the cringe-worthy, over-the-top acting...argh, so boring, dull, repetitive and uninteresting.

Highlights of the movie include shaolin monk getting drop kicked in the face, tho.
    Yeah, it was utter melodramatic drivel. That chase scene was cringe inducing.

To its credit, the director of photography did some interesting things in the beginning with the juxtaposition of the washed out grey/blue-greens and the ostentatiously ornate costumes during the parade. Obviously trying to bite Yimou, however even that devolved into an incoherent mish-mash by the mid point of the movie. No coherent unity of style whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

i agree with the last two posts.

it was just a mostly boring violent movie about combating warlords. it seemed to have little to do with shaolin actually. shaolin temple was just the unfortunate setting for the fight between warlords.

jackie chan's part was minuscule and his character didnt know how to fight.

there were also no good shaolin training scenes or anything. not sure why it was called "shaolin" or "new shaolin temple".

i think the difference is the innocence and naivety of the original 80s movie is lost. china is westernizing and changing and people arent the same anymore, and the movies arent the same anymore.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

a quieter movie about kung fu and buddhism?

That comment reminds me of a lot of Thai cinema, which has a heavy Buddhist influence given the religious bent of that country. I don't think I've ever seen a 'quiet' Thai movie.

It's doing quite well in Asia.
    Hard punches to kickstart wisdom
    Tiberius Kerk
    | February 14, 2011

Meet Andy Lau who stars in a martial arts film, which is not exactly his cup of tea, but is still entertaining.
    MOVIE REVIEW

(Shaolin) Some diehard kung fu fans had an incredulous look on their faces when they found out that Andy Lau played the lead role in the latest Shaolin flick.

“You can’t be serious” was the usual reaction. Lau is an undeniably good actor and he has been around for decades but a martial arts film is not exactly up his street, let alone his back-alley.

But director Benny Chan obviously had more than one ace up his sleeves. Thus, Lau’s display of martial arts is confined to dazzling acrobatic moves engineered by some very thin, high tensile wires.

Seriously though, the story is above average. Once again, I am surprised by the quality of a Hong Kong movie. Hong Kong movie-makers have earned low marks from me for a long time.

Since those days when director Chang Cheh of Shaw Brothers Studios showed us all what he was capable of, kung fu movies from Hong Kong have fallen from its high pedestal to a deplorable and grimy bottom.

However in one word, Shaolin is entertaining. It is about an ambitious and suspicious warlord, general Hou Jie (Andy Lau) who is not content with eliminating other warlords but also sees compassion as a sign of weakness.

That is, until his right-hand man Cao Man (Nicholas Tse) decided to turn the tables on him and gave him a dose of his own medicine. In an ambush which was meant for Hou Jie’s “tai kor” (big brother in arms), Cao Man unleashed his band of assassins against both warlords and their families.

Despicable acts

Hou Jie barely escaped with his life but his young daughter is killed. Hou Jie’s wife is caught and imprisoned. The once all-powerful general Hou Jie is forced to take refuge at the Shaolin temple.

The chief abbot gave sanctuary to Hou Jie despite opposition from fellow monks because of the general’s past despicable acts of cruelty.

The message in Shaolin is clear. Mercy melts a cold heart faster than a thousand soothing words. Hou Jie began to realise his flawed past as Cao Man launched a manhunt for his former mentor.

The Shaolin plot is as transparent as the water from the temple well. It is simple and yet appealing. Somewhere in the labyrinth of walls comes the shaggy form of Jackie Chan who is the cook at the
    Shaolin temple.

Lately, Chan has taken to playing vagabond or hobo roles. Perhaps it is the age factor, or maybe it’s just his propensity to humble himself before his legions of fans around the world but Chan seemed to wear the tattered robes of a simple peasant or a lowly kitchen cook rather well.

This is one of the few movies that Chan plays second fiddle to an actor whose reputation is not as noteworthy as his. But Chan does a proper job in fleshing out the whimsical character of a cook who lacks confidence in his own abilities.

The person who nearly stole the show from everyone else is Tse who came across as a convincing baddie whose blood-thirsty ways intensified as his power increased.

Tse won the Best Supporting Actor award last year for his role in Bodyguards and Assassins. He is proving to be a better actor than his dad, Patrick, who was the rage of the Cantonese film industry in
    the 1950s and 1960s.

Scenic spots

Truth be told, the only character in Shaolin who is a true blue wushu exponent is Wu Jing (Jacky Wu) who plays a very competent monk called Jing Neng.

Wu Jing is an accomplished wushu exponent who has numerous national champion titles to his name. His martial arts forms in Shaolin reveal his fluidity and his indisputable prowess in the Chinese martial arts system.

The only pretty face in the crowded Shaolin hall of bland and tired-looking monks is Fan Bing Bing who plays Hou Jie’s wife. This talented actress from Qingdao, Shandong. has a long list of films in
    her portfolio.

Her proficiency in a craft honed from an early age gives the movie the grit that it needed. Even though her role is minor, it is significant enough to add some weight to the story.

Some of the most memorable scenes in Shaolin are the breathtaking scenic spots in China. Director Chan has wisely added a number of lovely mountain scenes and courtyards of temples located in remote parts of China.

The Western faces were the “treacherous foreign devils” in this film are quite forgettable. In fact, it’s best we forget them. They not only looked wooden, they were downright awkward and oafish.

Still, the pyrotechnics gave Shaolin an explosive conclusion seldom seen in Hong Kong films.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Truth be told, the only character in Shaolin who is a true blue wushu exponent is Wu Jing (Jacky Wu) who plays a very competent monk called Jing Neng.
    What?? Xingyu is actually from Shaolin...

I know, I know...

Never mind Yu Hai either..
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

the movie is ok.

1. warlord is depicted about their greed to grab more land and wealth and take up more that they ever need such as care for family--

in contrast, shaolin monks saw thru this, helping those in need such as feeding the refuge from war torn china

2. foreigners were depicted about their greed to plunder more and more including chinese treasure from china

3. in the world of greed, crazinese/not knowing things clearly, never enough/satisfied--

tan chi cheng

these are hurdles or barriers every one has to see thru--

In contrast, shaolin monks would fight and die for helping those in need including children and women--

warlords and westerners are fighting for more wealth, resources, more land

colony in africa, thruout asia, and splitting control of china

andy lau is a patriot, he would not sleep well till all his opponent are out of action

it is a sarcasm for you know who

lau's protege is clueless about what he is fighting for, money more money, bloodshed more bloodshed, destroying shaolin temple, selling out treasures to foreigners, he is really a "dog" or servant for greed or insatiable greed over everything else---

--

it is about human nature vs monkhood

it is another classic by itself

---