Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in US Military

...And here we go again...

Grow up ladies... This cycle is getting beyond old...
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Yeah, the army and marines sure are experts at fighting without guns... they get a total of about a week or two of CQC training. Of course in your world of children black belts, that makes someone an expert.
    lol this just proves this guys a joke the marines and navy seals bothe use wing chun id t take it it works if theyd use it
    let see marines and navy seals unknown mma fighter
    hmmmmmmm who would i believe?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Since it's up here, in the first video, can someone explain the intent/mechanics in these actions? I don't mean any offence, but it looks like a lot of chasing hands to me - it seems there is no fwd intent in those tan saus on the first link.
    Can even see it in the first link about 4 seconds in where he totally misses her arm/wrist.

JP

Yeah, the army and marines sure are experts at fighting without guns... they get a total of about a week or two of CQC training. Of course in your world of children black belts, that makes someone an expert.
    Hi Dale,

Of course you would be the authority on Training in the Military. Refresh my memory, what Branch of the Service did you serve in?

I suppose you are well familiar with the various sections in the service considered the elite, Marine Force Recon, US Air Force Para-rescue, US Army Rangers, Green Berets and Delt and lets not forget the US Navy Seals. I am sure that if you were to meet anyone of these in an empty alley you would kick their butts with your Gym Fantasy Martial art

Oh, just tell them your monicker, that will be sure to put the fear of the all knowing Dale into their hearts. But be careful some of them may actually know how to fight for real with knives, might have to call you "stumpy" afterwards.

All in fun Dale, but seriously you come off a bit pompous as you seem to think you have the reality fighting market locked down. Maybe you can can it and sell it.

Oh, fwiw, none of the Branches of the Military have a designated method of combat, not WC not BJJ etc. What they do do is to incorporate concepts and techniques into a hybrid system taught. Also, a lot of the H2H training depends on who is assigned to the unit as well as the fact that many times the training is squad based so different focus for different things.

However, one thing which sets many of the elite forces apart from others is the mental conditiong they are exposed to and the fact that they are taught to push beyond their pre-conceived limits.

But hey what do I know, ask Dale as we all know I am really a fake fantasy martial artists with not real life experience. Perhaps I will go down to the local MMA gym so I can post as an authority like Dale, maybe if I get into 3-4 fights and get a record he will change his opinion and accept that others have viable experiences also, apparently from his record I don't need to WIN to have valuable experience I can also lose and be an authority

Again all in fun, couldn't resist myself.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 08-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

although ground fighting skills are important, one has to remember that when fighting multiple opponents going to the ground is something to be avoided.

i would assume that this can often be the case when fighting in the military or law enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    although ground fighting skills are important, one has to remember that when fighting multiple opponents going to the ground is something to be avoided.

i would assume that this can often be the case when fighting in the military or law enforcement
    not to mention falling and grappling of a nice comfy mat hurts like hell, they person can bite you, scratch you, or pull out a weapon and attack you with it. have one of their freinds attack you when your on the ground et etc graplling in a street fight isnt a smart thing to do

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

LOL... and the three clueless, theoretical, pretend, non-fighters post once again.

Considering the fact that I used to train with the Seals and the Rangers when they would come into the Gracie academy, I have a pretty good idea of what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post

Can you keep multiple opponents from taking you to the ground?

LOL... and the three clueless, theoretical, pretend, non-fighters post once again.

Considering the fact that I used to train with the Seals and the Rangers when they would come into the Gracie academy, I have a pretty good idea of what's what.
    So what Branch of the Service where you in again????

Also, are you going to say that in a real combat situation with the potential for multiple, armed opponents that BJJ is the art of choice???

Oh, what was your MMA record again? Perhaps you are the clueless one, had three fights and lost 1 and one draw, right? And the one you won was by decision so you must have really been intimidating in the ring. Why not fight again and show all of us clueless, theoretical pretend non-fighters just how much you know. I mean with the way you post here I was expecting a few more wins under your belt.

Oh, as to your training with Rangers and Seals where was this located? Since there are two active Ranger Battalions in the U.S. Army and neither is located in CA, one is at Camp Stewert, GA and the other is at Fort Lewis, WA. I highly doubt your claim to have trained with Rangers, at least. Perhaps you have some video to prove your claim.
    Peace,

Dave

Can you keep multiple opponents from taking you to the ground?
    Apparently you like being on the ground, it seems to be your arena of choice

Are you saying you trained yourself to roll with multiple guys????
    Peace,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Oh, what was your MMA record again?
    7-3.
    What was your record. Oh that's right. The big tough guy only beat up drunks and handcuffed guys... who knows how many women he assaulted on his watch.

Oh, as to your training with Rangers and Seals where was this located? Since there are two active Ranger Battalions in the U.S. Army and neither is located in CA, one is at Camp Stewert, GA and the other is at Fort Lewis, WA.
    Yep, GA and WA was where they flew in from.
    Here's a list of the other agencies that used to come in when I trained there:
    http://www.gracieacademy.com/military_clients.asp
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 08-10-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Also, are you going to say that in a real combat situation with the potential for multiple, armed opponents that BJJ is the art of choice???
    Apparently the Rangers seem to think so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaafCFGDZ5c

But of course some clueless, theoretical, non-fighter like you thinks he knows better.

The more you guys post the more clueless you prove yourselves to be.

You and i touched on this a while back when you said they wernt so good on the ground.... did you actually do combat milling with them Dale. Don a head guard and lock horns or just roll in a BJJ school ? There is a big difference if you really have done it

In my country they have adopted the C Q 'B' system developed in the seventies by the brits. Our SAS AOS(swat) STG etc all do it. Never seen the CQC system.

And if we are to belive you and T about you can only fight how you train. The intensity these guys train at in CQB would give any BJJ BB big trouble. They have what i call the mungrel in them which is way more dangerous than the best technique out there IME.

This whole thread has become d i c k measuring. LOL

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 08-10-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Apparently the Rangers seem to think so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaafCFGDZ5c

But of course some clueless, theoretical, non-fighter like you thinks he knows better.

The more you guys post the more clueless you prove yourselves to be.
    Of course not Dale, of course you know much better than I.

7-3 funny I found the following links which do not seem to show that record.

http://www.mmapools.com/fighterinfo.php?id=12199

http://www.topgunmma.com/viewFighter.php?fighterid=2263

Could you kindly point me in the direction showing your 7-3 record?

Kind of like Paul Vunak also trained Navy Seals, Duncan Leong, Leung Ting and William Cheung also have trained various military and Law Enforcement agencies as well also several other artists, even many <gasp> WC instructors as well as other arts.

Heck Leo Gaje and Leung Ting have trained, and Leo continues to train, active military units in the Phillipines. Know something funny, they actually use that training in combat, for real. I wonder why they don't do BJJ down there where they would want the best. Maybe you could go down there and train them, you know show them how it should really be done. I may be able to arrange an introduction to Leo, oh wait you were a "Dog Brother" so I am sure you already know Leo, right?

A lot of those doing training like to name drop, if someone, even on their own time, comes in and trains and they are a member of some "agency" then the claim to fame is there as well.

Could you perhaps provide some sort of documentation from the Military confirming the fact that you trained with anyone in the Rangers? Shoot, Paul Vunak has a letter from the military, so you should be able to dig one up easily. Perhaps PhotoShop could be your new friend.
    Peace,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Since it's up here, in the first video, can someone explain the intent/mechanics in these actions? I don't mean any offence, but it looks like a lot of chasing hands to me - it seems there is no fwd intent in those tan saus on the first link.
    Can even see it in the first link about 4 seconds in where he totally misses her arm/wrist.

JP
    He's explaining that the trajectory of the Tan Sao (specifically, from section 3 of Siu Lum Tao) crosses over the center line. Contrary to chasing hands, he is actually covering a large area so that regardless of where her vector of attack, he is picking it up. We can tell that this is the intent of his lesson since from :10 - :14, he shows that if the Tan does not cross center, it will not cover the attack.

From what I gather from his body language after missing the attack at :04, I would guess that she was not aiming at his center? Even so, he does redirect her attack, albeit with his fingers :P And his fingers are very very tough, I've seen him dent a thin metal door with a Biu Jee form flick before. But probably not as good for those of us with not-so-tough fingers.
    JK-
    "Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."