Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in US Military

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    If your interested in a peek at the NZ SAS CQB vs USA CQC CQD check out this clip from a Doco here...

About 3 mins in you get a good peek at the surface of CQB, wicked Doco series even though im somewhat bias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OFcMM5KxcM

Ive had the bennifit of experiencing alot of the techs through people i know and there are many similarities in strategy and mechanics of VT even though the training is vastly different. Its brutal but effective and what you see is rather tame for TV.

DREW
    While my time in the military was devoted to more "long range" action, as some here know , I had many chances to train with some of the elite guys in H2H, not only here in Canada, but some British SAS and a few Spec Ops guys too, durning "exchange programs".
    There is a reason that the military bring in or go out to, civilian instructors, H2H is just not that big a priority that it is trained to the high level that civilians do it.
    There is a lot of brutal stuff that is taught, heck I have a few coup-de-grace that if I shoudl you, most would **** your pants, its quote irrelevant though.
    Core skills is what makes you able to apply the "too deadly" and if you have those core skills, the "too deadly" becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There are no reservations, Dale has ZERO to prove to anyone, those of us who have been here long enough know that Dale talks the talks and he walks the walk.
    I have seen his clips, grappling, MMA and stick fighting and I have also been told by those I have a great respect for that the man knows his ****.
    He's an original Dog Brother for pete's sake !
    Just that alone puts him in a class all his own on this forum.
    Granted.
    Now, what is his experience with Wing Chun?
    How many years, and under whom?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Granted.
    I don't know but since his critique of WC is based on its effectiveness as a fighting method and the results of its training methods, I don't know how much that matters.

I don't know but since his critique of WC is based on its effectiveness as a fighting method and the results of its training methods, I don't know how much that matters.
    Actually, isn't his "critique of WC" really based on his inability to use it effectively when fighting? That in no way is a critique of the WCK system itself, just either his (in)experience with it, or a question of his teacher's ability to impart fighting skill (or both).
    That's like someone that has a 0-10 record as an amature boxer saying boxing training methods don't work. Just because a fighting method can't be made to work by one individual, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the system.

So maybe it would be better put as "his critique of WC is based on his effectiveness in using it as a fighting method and the results of his training methods"

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Actually, isn't his "critique of WC" really based on his inability to use it effectively when fighting? That in no way is a critique of the WCK system itself, just either his (in)experience with it, or a question of his teacher's ability to impart fighting skill (or both).
    That's like someone that has a 0-10 record as an amature boxer saying boxing training methods don't work. Just because a fighting method can't be made to work by one individual, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the system.

So maybe it would be better put as "his critique of WC is based on his effectiveness in using it as a fighting method and the results of his training methods"
    Actually I think his critique is based on the fact that he has never seen/felt effective WC.
    But I won't speak for Dale, he certainly doesn't need me or anyone too, as we know, LOL !
    Of course instead of attack him you can attack his view point and produce evidence of how effective WC is, that oughta shut him up.

There is a reason that the military bring in or go out to, civilian instructors, H2H is just not that big a priority that it is trained to the high level that civilians do it..
    Exactly.

The fact is, since 99.9% of what military personnel do is not CQC related, 99.9% of their training time will be spent doing other types of training.

Military personnel spend more time running than they do doing CQC training, and in no way, shape or form can they compete with competitive civilian runners who spend much more time doing running training. If they aren't as good in something they spend more of their time doing, they're not, somehow, going to be better in something they spend even less time doing.

To think that a military training makes someone an awesome CQC fighter just shows how out of touch with reality the theoretical, pretend, non-fighters are.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 08-12-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Actually I think his critique is based on the fact that he has never seen/felt effective WC.
    But I won't speak for Dale, he certainly doesn't need me or anyone too, as we know, LOL !
    Of course instead of attack him you can attack his view point and produce evidence of how effective WC is, that oughta shut him up.
    My critique is based on anything for which posters make claims for, yet can provide no evidence for.

Notice how I have never made negative comments for any clips that have shown live fighting against other fully resisting opponents. If anything, I have given props to the WC guys doing the fighting on the clips, while several of the pretend, theoretical, non-fighting WC people have torn them down.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 08-12-2009 at 09:44 AM.

As far as my clips, I put them up to show good faith when several other posters said they would be willing to put up clips of themselves doing techniques they said were realistic against resisting opponents, which never happened... hmmm, what a surprise.

Over the years, I am one of the only four posters here who have put up clips of themselves actually fighting full contact against resisting opponents.

haha, well, no one is speaking for him here..... except you and T (just friendly jabbing at ya)
    FWIW, I'm not attacking him at all, just making a distinction between someone openly admitting they couldn't make WCK work and them saying that WCK doesn't work - there's a difference. One doesn't equal the other..

As far as me producing evidence to Dale, what do suggest, I post up some videos of me taking out a bunch of MMA guys? Sure, I'll get right on that - I care that much what he thinks
    Besides, what's the point? I think his mind is more than made up.

FWIW, I'm not attacking him at all, just making a distinction between someone openly admitting they couldn't make WCK work and them saying that WCK doesn't work -
    I never said no one can make it work. A few people obviously are. My claim is that the majority of people who think they can make it work for real are as deluded as the students of the chi master.

As far as me producing evidence to Dale, what do suggest, I post up some videos of me taking out a bunch of MMA guys? Sure, I'll get right on that - I care that much what he thinks
    You care enough to make posts about it. Why just not do a quick clip of you fighting full contact against other resisting opponents?

Besides, what's the point? I think his mind is more than made up.
    My mind's not "made up". I was skeptical about Alan and his guys, but I'm pretty sure they are making things work, despite what I originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Granted.

Hawkins Cheung, among others.

this is why i asked this question
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...5&postcount=42

dale had a full on melt down on the striking graplling time frame thread lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I had many chances to train with some of the elite guys in H2H, not only here in Canada, but some British SAS and a few Spec Ops guys too, durning "exchange programs".
    There is a reason that the military bring in or go out to, civilian instructors, H2H is just not that big a priority that it is trained to the high level that civilians do it.
    I hear you, but there in lies my point. They go to outside people for further training, whats in that vid is the beggining of a long road of consistent training.
    The people whom ive experienced these types of training through do not do a starter course and stop. In thier down time they train like and with civies...they go to competency courses often to pass through first second and third phases of training. And the Civies in my country that teach CQB to the pros are ex millitary ex police people themselves.

Im not trying to dictate here, just offer my experience and im ligitimatly interested, which is why i asked Dale if he milled or just rolled in training with these people, because we know there is a difference right ?

There is a lot of brutal stuff that is taught, heck I have a few coup-de-grace that if I shoudl you, most would **** your pants, its quote irrelevant though.
    Oh, now i want to hear about it Paul
    Ive seen some brutal stuff myself - if Occupational health and safety saw half the things i saw least of which milling with guys getting knee stomped then repetitive stomps to the head all the while the insructor yelling "get the f-uck up" they would probably faint. LOL

Core skills is what makes you able to apply the "too deadly" and if you have those core skills, the "too deadly" becomes somewhat irrelevant.
    No argument here bro.
    Last edited by Liddel; 08-12-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

But if someone does critique amateur boxing based on their inability to make it work you can shut them up with hundreds of examples of people making it work. Why can't people shut Dale up simply by showing him it is a valid fighting method? If only a few schools can be seen making the system work then isn't his criticism of the system and its training methods valid?

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post

Oh, now i want to hear about it Paul
    Ive seen some brutal stuff myself - if Occupational health and safety saw half the things i saw least of which milling with guys getting knee stomped then repetitive stomps to the head all the while the insructor yelling "get the f-uck up" they would probably faint. LOL

Nah, you really don't, LOL !
    Killing is not like the movies that's why when people start mentioning that they'd do this and that, I kind of just roll my eyes and say "whatever".
    Killing is messy and you kave to l ive with it, forever and answer for it.
    But I digress, the point being that if you can't do the simplest of things ( The core) well, then forget that "too deadly"crap.