Thread: Announcement

Water Dragon Guest

Announcement

I’m going to start holding classes in North West Indiana. I maintain relationships with all teachers and all students will have access to direct lineage. Tai Chi lineages are traceable to William CC Chen and Dr. Tao Ping-Siang (through their students, my teachers) Shuai Chiao training is traceable to Chang Tung Sheng through Dr. Brian Wu and Kun Tao through the De Thourars Brothers (Also through my teachers, I have no direct student relationship with these masters.

The class will be structured in a Laissez Faire method typical of traditional Chinese Martial Arts. There are no uniforms or structured hierarchy of skills. Everyone is encouraged to develop at their own pace and contribute when possible. There are no belt rankings. Students will attend class as their schedule permits. No one will be penalized for arriving late or leaving early. There is no bowing and no use of formal titles (Sifu, Sensei, Sihen, etc.) The purpose is to foster an environment in which individuals are encouraged to be comfortable, ask questions, and develop themselves to their full potential. At the same time, this is an adult class and all participants will be expected to act as such. Anyone not comporting themselves with respect toward their fellow classmates will be asked to leave.

The following is a brief breakdown of what I plan to focus on:

Tui Shou. Commonly known as Push Hands, the Tui Shou we will focus on is a mixture of Dr. Tao Ping-Siang’s Lihebafa and William CC Chen’s Taijiquan. This is non-sporting push hands which is dependant upon mutual cooperation. The goal is not to win, but rather to develop one’s awareness to and the ability to avoid an attack. This is an ongoing goal and the development of this skill will be an ongoing endeavor.

Body Conditioning. These are a variety of drills to develop the body both physically and spiritually. There will be a strong focus on the development of “fighting spirit” These exercise will include stance holding, arm banging, chin na, and controlled striking. Students who find these exercises too demanding will be able to “opt out” of this training. It should be noted however, that these exercises are generally considered necessary to develop true combat proficiency.

Power exercises. Traditionally referred to as “Gongs”, these are exercises to develop power for fighting. The body is seen as a series of springs to be coiled and released. Instead of being loose and then tensing on impact. We will focus on “storing” (tightening up) and issuing power through relaxation accompanied by a stretch. This is similar in concept to compressing a spring or stretching a rubber band.

Techniques. There will be a variety of techniques taught from different systems. The focus will be on grappling based arts. The majority of techniques will be throws, takedowns, and joint locks. The techniques will be taught in a manner as to encourage individualization. The student will be taught how to make the technique work for them against someone who is trying to hurt them at the same time. The focus on the techniques will be on quality vs quantity. It is possible that the same set of techniques will be worked on for a month or two at a time. There will be a variety of solo exercises designed to enhance these techniques which will be worked on by the individual outside od class time. Techniques will primarily be drawn from the following systems:
    · Shuai Chiao
    · Taijiquan
    · Kun Tao
    · Southern Praying Mantis
    · Bajiquan
    · Long Fist

I am not an acknowledged master and it is understood that all students will be encouraged to move up the food chain as their skill outgrows my knowledge base.

To maintain integrity, there will be a standing Open Challenge policy.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Water Dragon Guest
    TTT FOR A LITTLE MORE FREE AD TIME :D

brassmonkey Guest
    Cool sounds like you have something to offer. Out of curiousity what's with the arm banging, is this similiar to 7*?

Water Dragon Guest
    I've never seen 7* conditioning drills, so I don't know. Ours comes from Baguazhang and steps on a square. I'm also gonna give them an arm-banging exercise from a Tiger Style conditioning form once I get enough Jow for everyone.

brassmonkey Guest
    WD what's your email?