Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the most prevalent injury in Martial arts, And what system do you train in??

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    just thought I'd add: hyperextending the knee for ex: by not bringing in high enough for a front kick, you bring your knee up to the waist and kick chest high, two things happen; 1-your kick trajectory changes and the kick doesn't penetrate, but goes upward, and 2- the knee hyperextends.
    I train my beginners to kick over a bench or the Lion drum.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Knees and elbows--sprains etc. I've seen knees twisted and torn from bad stances and movement. like turning on your heel and not the ball of your foot --with elbows its generally hyperextended throwing incorrect punches and strikes. Kempo.

i sprain my pinkie knuckle many times for doing sloppy hooks on bags when i get tired. also when i was a kid i pulled my legs seveal times doing air snap kicks.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Hi JKD,

I had an employment situation in the past that required excessive standing. It jacked my knees up so badly that squatting down to pick up something was PAINFUL. I really thought I was finished with MA training...a real depressing thought at the time. Well something guided me to do hamstring strengthening. Doing so helped correct the imbalance between my hamstrings and quad and helped stabilize my knees.
    Try doing some hamstring curls and see if that will help you out. If you notice improvement, take it as a sign for you to revamp your leg training (do not neglect the tibialis anterior-- see link).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWffp98XWs
    Nutritional Support: MSM, Rose Hips (anti inflammatory), Water (very important), Fresh Green Vegetables. Research these things before trying. Take a look at your kidney health.

mickey
    Thanks for the advice.....I will try and concentrate on Hamstrings and Quad exercises at my Health Club.
    I have been putting off getting knee replacements for a couple of years now, for a variety of reasons....even though that seems to be the advice of most.
    I just hate the thought of having artificial parts in the bones of both legs.
    I also have been told that great care must be taken to not over -stress the new knees , as the parts can become loose and require another , more difficult operation that has a much lower chance of success. ( With knee replacements you cannot Squat low...run...put much weight on them, or practice and spinning, jolting, or twisting movements)
    That means that practicing Martial Arts as I have learned them....would be over.

Plus.....some things the Doctors dont like to emphasis to their patients is the fact that Knee Replacements are ALWAYS prone to infection...and that antibiotics are recommended anytime you have something as simple as a Dental Appointment ! The Body never truley works the same again after the artificial parts are inserted into the joint.
    Risks for any surgery are:

Breathing problems
    Infection, including in the lungs, urinary tract, and chest
    Bleeding
    Heart attack or stroke during surgery
    Dislocation of the artificial joint
    Infection that requires removing the joint
    Loosening of the artificial joint over time
    Pneumonia
    Allergic reaction to the artificial joint
    Injury to nerves or blood vessels
    Blood clots that may form in your leg (deep vein thrombosis) or your lungs (pulmonary embolism)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002974.htm

Of course the pain and lack of mobility I experience now has drastically lowered my standard of life, and prevents me from doing many of these things anyways....so I guess I am looking for good options where there are not any.
    And BTW....It is not just "sore" knees I sufer with...they have been bone on bone for several years now....have begun to bow slightly outward...and the pain while walking and standing is substantial.

Just was hoping someone had worked their way through this with a training regiment that would allow me to avoid surgery.

Thanks again

JDK
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

Hi JKD,

Bone on bone is tough. I don't know if my suggestions will prove helpful to you. I hope you will find a healthy solution for your situation.

mickey

The more you use a machine, the fatser it will wear out.
    If you do not use a machine, it will seize up from disuse.

You are in fact a machine. Biomechanical as it may be, but the rules of existence apply to all of us.

find balance.

too much training is simply no good.

not enough is equally as bad.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Been training/teaching for 34 years now and no real damage to me from the KF.
    Many injuries from the work i do.. masonry and concrete have taken there toll, just got a new hip and one day will need a new knee lol.

The way i see it if I didn't do KF i would be in WAY sorry shape.
    Keep training no matter what comes along.
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by md1 View Post
    Been training/teaching for 34 years now and no real damage to me from the KF.
    Many injuries from the work i do.. masonry and concrete have taken there toll, just got a new hip and one day will need a new knee lol.

The way i see it if I didn't do KF i would be in WAY sorry shape.
    Keep training no matter what comes along.
    Yes Md1....the arthritis is inherited most likely, not from a result of training or other sports I have played over my life.
    The simple fact is the body does eventually wears out.
    Many of us have some type genetic predisposition to certain illnesses and conditions.

I firmly agree with you in continuing to train no matter what.
    I have been blessed with great health over my lifetime...no doubt in part to keeping physically active and knowing how to avoid illness. ( Much of which I learned from Chinese Medicine)

Maybe I should rephrase my question and ask if anyone out there has had knee replacements...and continue to train ?

JDK
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

Like I said, I had my hip replaced and it was the best thing i ever did... I workout and feel like i'm 25 again. I will need my one knee replaced with in the next year or two and I will not hesitate to get it done.
    Yes I also have a friend who had both is knees replaced about 10 years back and he continues to practice his KF to this day. he is 68 years old now.

The pain and lack of movement from arthritis is nothing like any pain i have ever had and after going throught one joint replacement I have NO problem at all going throught it again.
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

Blog Entries
    When you twist your leg around your opponent's leg and just collapse your body on your opponent, you will hurt his knee joint sideway badly.

I never had any injuries from simply practicing movements/postures like low stances, kicks, strikes, falls, etc. I've been training regularly for 34 years now. That said, I have been dealing with challenges from some non-MA related injuries from a few years ago.

The worst injuries I've had in MA training was one to my thumb joint, when somebody blocked my right hook to the body with his elbow; an over-cranked neck; a few concussions; jammed fingers and toes; and one time I somehow managed to rip my thumbnail completely off while practicing with a spear, practicing a thrusting movement carelessly. That's about it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-07-2011 at 01:07 AM.