Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Jack LaLanne

RIP Jack LaLanne

Not a martial artist, but a truly inspirational athlete nonetheless.

Jack LaLanne, fitness pioneer, dies at 96
    Matthai Kuruvila,Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writers
    Monday, January 24, 2011

Jack LaLanne, the Bay Area native whose gospel of fitness stretched 75 years and changed the way Americans thought about working out and eating right, died Sunday at his home in Morro Bay (San Luis Obispo County). He was 96.

The Godfather of Fitness died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia, his family said.

"It's kind of a shock," said his nephew, Thomas LaLanne of Mill Valley. "I didn't think Jack was ever going to die. He would tell people, 'I can't die. It'll ruin my image.' "

Mr. LaLanne started his career with an Oakland gym in 1936 - a time when athletes weren't supposed to lift weights and women weren't supposed to exercise - and went on to host the longest-running fitness show on television.

He licensed his name to two fitness clubs, wrote exercise books, made videos, gave lectures and marketed a juice machine. He was an incessant pitchman, using a drill sergeant's bark and cadence.

"Other people work at dying," he told The Chronicle in 2004. "I work at living!"

Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the world's most famous bodybuilder, said it was Mr. LaLanne who made exercise a goal for the common man and woman.

Schwarzenegger introduced Mr. LaLanne when he was inducted into the California Hall of Fame in 2008, saying he "inspired millions and millions of people and helped create the modern fitness craze with his living example, that staying active and eating right is truly the fountain of youth."

Mr. LaLanne's fitness quest inspired the public as well as his family. His grand-nephew, Chris LaLanne of Castro Valley, opened LaLanne Fitness in San Francisco 2 1/2 years ago, and five months ago named his son Jackson.

"Jack's been an inspiration to me my whole life," Chris LaLanne said Sunday. "His mission in life was to help people help themselves."

Mr. LaLanne was born in San Francisco on Sept. 26, 1914, to French immigrants. They lived in Berkeley, where Mr. LaLanne described himself as a skinny, pimply kid addicted to sugar.

His behavioral problems were extreme. He attacked his brother, attempted suicide and tried to burn down his house. His overweight father died of a heart attack at 50.

I was "a miserable god**** kid," Mr. LaLanne told The Chronicle. "It was like hell."

Then he heard a speech at the Oakland Women's City Club by Paul Bragg, who opened the nation's first health-food store.

Said Mr. LaLanne: "Bragg said, 'My dear friends, it matters not what your physical condition is. If you obey nature's laws, you will be born again.' I went home and prayed, 'Dear God, give me the willpower to refrain from those foods that are killing me.' "

In 1936, he opened Jack LaLanne's Physical Culture Studio in Oakland. Business was slow, so Mr. LaLanne offered massages to get people in the door. Once they started weight lifting, he would suggest routines and call them on the phone if they missed two or more workouts.

"How am I gonna help you if you're not here?" he would ask.

In 1951, he started a live exercise show on KGO-TV in San Francisco. The "Jack LaLanne Show" went national in 1959 and ran for 34 years in the United States and Europe.

Mr. LaLanne became known for great feats of strength. At 40, he towed a 2,000-pound cabin cruiser as he swam the Golden Gate Channel. When he was 42, he did a record 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes.

When he was 60, Mr. LaLanne swam from Alcatraz to Fisherman's Wharf - while handcuffed, shackled and towing a boat.

Late in life, Mr. LaLanne remained fit and righteous for his cause.

"Would you give your dog a cigarette and a doughnut for breakfast every morning?" he shouted at a Chronicle reporter in 2004. "People think nothing of giving themselves that for breakfast, and they wonder why they don't feel good."

Mr. LaLanne is survived by his wife, Elaine; a daughter, Yvonne LaLanne of Walnut Creek; a son, Jon LaLanne of Kauai, Hawaii; and a stepson, Dan Doyle of Los Angeles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Old school !
    That was Jack to a "T".
    He was a bit dated towards the end, but no man gave more for fitness than he did.
    Funny thing though, he died at 93, some people never exercise, drink for fun an dlive to be over 100 !
    Freaky how those things go.
    Knew this old times that was 83 when he got pnemunia, fought it with grappa and pork !
    He is still alive and goning to be 99 this year I think.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

We were all gonna be muscle guys like Jack!

Buy Jack! You sure were a friendly, positive and neat guy!

You inspired a nation in your day and became a household word for good eating and exercise..
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Greetings,

My mother used to work out to Jack LaLanne and I would watch. I got my fitness interests from her. So, indirectly, Jack LaLanne touched my life.

I am going to miss him very much.

Thank you for everything, Jack LaLanne!!!

mickey

i was just about to post this.

as much as i respect the guy and what he stood for, i thought it was worth noting that george burns lived an entire decade longer that lalanne.

my conclusion from this is that if i combine lalanne's approach to nutrition and fitness with burns' tendencies toward cigars and liquor, i will become immortal.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    i was just about to post this.

as much as i respect the guy and what he stood for, i thought it was worth noting that george burns lived an entire decade longer that lalanne.

my conclusion from this is that if i combine lalanne's approach to nutrition and fitness with burns' tendencies toward cigars and liquor, i will become immortal.
    Good to have you back and I find no fault in your logic !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Not a martial artist, but a truly inspirational athlete nonetheless.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Very true. I remember his early body building pics in muscle mags before he morphed into a fitness guru.

Also true that there are folks who dont work on fitness who live for a long time. My dad was 93 when he died. he was a doctor. When he came to live with me I taught him some wing chun punches..he would stand in front of the bathroom mirror and throw some punches and he walked, smoked and chewed tobacco much of his life, ate lightly, but meditated regularly.Who knows- genetics, weight control, diet, a calm mind-but much nicotine intake..what was the key to his combination..?

La Lane may not have had insights into longevity- but he contributed to some understanding of the importance of quality of life-an important part of the journey.

joy chaudhuri

It's not widely known, but while handcuffed and submerged under water, Jack LaLanne shat out Chuck Norris.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Good to have you back and I find no fault in your logic !
    thanks man.

and im almost there. currently, i lift, eat healthy, and drink in excess.

i just need to add in cardio and make cigars a regular thing and im good to go.
    where's my beer?

George Burns indeed.

I'm older than 42 and no way could I do 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes. NO WAY. Neither could George.

Jack was cool.

You all are such iconoclasts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Jack.

I remember his show on early mornings. He made it look easy.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Anyone can die of pneumonia, especially the elderly.

Long life isn't just about fitness/health it is also about, strength of will and your ability to avoid disease and accident, both of which are unpredictable and take old and young alike.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 01-25-2011 at 06:06 PM.

I was hospitalized for pneumonia once.

Pneumonia was horrible.

In my best days, I could never swim from Alcatraz to Fisherman's Wharf. It can be incredibly choppy water and it's always very cold. I can't imagine doing it while
    handcuffed, shackled and towing a boat. And at 60! Holy cats.

I remember when Jack did that. It was all over the local news here. He was just an inspiration, plain and simple.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

relevant!

http://www.shareguide.com/LaLanne.html

http://www.shareguide.com/LaLanne.html]

Share Guide: George Burns almost made it to 100 but he smoked cigars, drank alcohol and was not a health nut. How do you account for his longevity and others like him?

Jack LaLanne: George Burns was more athletic than you think he was. And he was a very social man--he loved people, he enjoyed life. He worked at living. Old George was a social lion, he got around and did things. That's the key right there. It starts with your brain. Some people, when they get to 60 years old have no interests anymore, have no friends left. George Burns was busy all the time doing something. My oldest son, Danny, was in Beverly Hills going down the street in his brand new car and this guy in a stretch limousine came through a stop sign and hit him broadside. Danny got out of the car and was going to punch the guy out. He looks in the car and who is riding in the limousine? George Burns! Can you believe this? Danny said, "Jack LaLanne is my Dad!" He said, "Jack LaLanne, That's my buddy! I watch him all the time. I want you to come over to the house. Don't worry about the car, I'll pay you cash. I won't tell my insurance, I don't want to fool with it." So Danny went over to the house and they had a couple of drinks. He gave him 300 or 400 bucks for the damage to his car and they became friends. He was a hell of a guy.

Share Guide: Do you see yourself living to be over 100?

Jack LaLanne: I don't care how old I live; I just want to be LIVING while I am living! I have friends of mine that are in their 80's and now they are in wheelchairs or they're getting Alzheimer's. Who wants that? It's terrible. I want to be able to do things; I want to look good; I don't want to be a drudge on my wife and my kids. And I want to get my message out to the people. I might live forever or it may seem like that. I tell people I can't afford to die; it will wreck my image! I am proud to say I was just voted in to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. This year I get my star.

... really .... still the 10 ****ing character thing
    where's my beer?

Jack LaLanne was the man. More than just his physical fitness was his spirit and zest for life. A true inspiration.