Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most prevalent injury in Martial arts, And what system do you train in??

a link from another thread.

Bas on his knees
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Hey uki, you willin' to give this one up for a few weeks of sig line????
    you don't have to ask...
    too little time, too many sig worthy lines......
    yes, yes, yes... i didn't even get warmed up yet.

threadjack in progress....

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    you don't have to ask...
    yes, yes, yes... i didn't even get warmed up yet.
    Thanks uki..... I go thru a lotta sig lines....

the best part is when all those old posts get updated to the new sig line... I just love it!

Take care.....and don't bust any more toes.....
    .... Skip

Thanks uki..... I go thru a lotta sig lines....

the best part is when all those old posts get updated to the new sig line... I just love it!

Take care.....and don't bust any more toes.....
    how can you possibly go thru so many sig lines if you have only joined in june of this year with only 75 posts??

and how did you know i hurt my toes?????

gotcha

how can you possibly go thru so many sig lines if you have only joined in june of this year with only 75 posts??

and how did you know i hurt my toes?????
    Well lets see.... I've been on other forums - not ma forums tho - for 5 or 6 years and go thru a lotta sig lines...

And a week or two back you told me about the boulder running with swords on the post about mountain running on the "this months issue" thread...

I still need to start a thread over in the taiji forum about State Park training for taiji... maybe I'll take my camera and write Gene an article....
    .... Skip

And a week or two back you told me about the boulder running with swords on the post about mountain running on the "this months issue" thread...
    ahhh... here just like two or three days ago, i was using a sorry flat shovel and the shovel head flew off, which smashed my toes on my left foot. LOL... *wipes forehead* i was beginning to get a little weirded out there for a second.
    I still need to start a thread over in the taiji forum about State Park training for taiji... maybe I'll take my camera and write Gene an article....
    if i lived in texas like you, i would go off and find me some peyote buttons and then i'd mash them together with water to make a potent drink... i would then go off into the spirit world for awhile... explore some new forms, discover some new possibilities. some of the most intense practice comes when i have eaten some magical mushrooms... i have yet to experience the mighty peyote.
    Last edited by uki; 09-10-2009 at 02:25 PM.

more threadjack...

if i lived in texas like you, i would go off and find me some peyote buttons and then i'd mash them together with water to make a potent drink... i would then go off into the spirit world for awhile... explore some new forms, discover some new possibilities. some of the most intense practice comes when i have eaten some magical mushrooms... i have yet to experience the mighty peyote.
    Hmmnn.. well, before I got married I probably thought the same thing myself... but it's been a long time since 1967 and I can't really remember the details like I used to... my heads' fulla CMA stuff here lately.
    .... Skip

Question Knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    a link from another thread.

Bas on his knees
    Anyone out there know if continuing to train in Traditional Martial Arts Kung-Fu trainig while both knees are so bad , that 2 Orthopedic Surgeons diagnoised\Total Knee Replacements 4 years ago?

I love Stance Training and Forms....but the pain and loss of flexibility is so brutal,
    it makes it hard to be consistant in my training.

Any hope? Ideas?

Thanks
    JDK
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

ouch. thats a tough situation. unfortunately i dont really have much help for you on that one.

the only suggestion/question i would pose is that, out of the stance and form training that you enjoy, is it possible/make a difference, if you adjust the sets/stances to a more comfortable level of depth for your knees?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i just got my first martial arts injury.

my knee

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    many knee injuries come from not being connected with your body-mentally. Not knowing your limitations, not feeling yorself go through the movement, and another big thing-kicking air. When doing line drills, shadowboxing, etc, everyone wants to thrust those kicks out like a rocket, and hear their pants crack like a whip, make the air pop, etc. But, when you are hitting the air with force, the only thing stopping your leg is thr wrenching and tearing of tendon, ligament, and tissue.

According to statictics provided by/for insurance companies, When Aikido was big, it led in injuries to head, neck, spine and joints.
    Now, it's MMA=particularly BJJ. BJJ's target market is males-17-30-macho, testosterone junkies. Now we are seeing alot more elobow injuries from 'Not tapping out fast enough"-which means the other guy was an azole, and an increase in injuries to the neck, spine, etc.
    MMA is here to stay-but that means as with all Martial Arts-unqualified instructors, teaching poorly supervised classes, with way too many meatheads, which equals injuries.

Add kettlebells and other weight bearing exercises into the mix, and watch the stats grow.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

My way of thinking tells me that you should do what the body can do naturally without going into a great deal of conditioning and stretching. Not stuff that you have to do most every day to be able to keep it. By that, I mean just look at the way the body functions. Walking, running, jumping, and then kicking. We can step up pretty high without pulling things apart in your legs and hips. So kicking forward with the heel is somewhat natural in function. A side kick that is not more than about waist high is not too far from natural. But low to mid range kicks can be done with very little to no damage to a knee or hip joint. And you can still do these kicks as you age. I never attempt to throw a kick at full power like I think Tigers said. It sort of tries to hyperextend the knees sometimes. A missed kick can ge injurous to your knees. When kicking forward this way, you seldom fully extend the leg so this is less of a danger. Side kicking can extend the leg fully, so you have to be aware of this too.
    I think that if you train something that the body can do naturally, you have a greater ability to achieve high skill with it. It may not look as dramatic as a high jumping kick or some such, but it has a higher degree of success and is less likely to injure both you and your adversary at the same time.

Does anyone have any experience with continuing to train with severe arthritis in both knees?

Short of Knee Replacements....I have no way to strengthen my legs currently,...except by working through immense pain.

Would Stance Training be advisable ?

thanks
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

the most prevalent injury in Martial arts

brain damage.

case and point: this forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hi JKD,

I had an employment situation in the past that required excessive standing. It jacked my knees up so badly that squatting down to pick up something was PAINFUL. I really thought I was finished with MA training...a real depressing thought at the time. Well something guided me to do hamstring strengthening. Doing so helped correct the imbalance between my hamstrings and quad and helped stabilize my knees.

Try doing some hamstring curls and see if that will help you out. If you notice improvement, take it as a sign for you to revamp your leg training (do not neglect the tibialis anterior-- see link).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWffp98XWs

Nutritional Support: MSM, Rose Hips (anti inflammatory), Water (very important), Fresh Green Vegetables. Research these things before trying. Take a look at your kidney health.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-31-2011 at 07:18 PM.