Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese WCK vs European WCK

Great qoute...

thanks for that...

Quote Originally Posted by -木叶- View Post
    I believe you are referring to GM Ip Chun's interview.

He was not actually saying WC is for health only.

This is my best translation on the clip:

GM Ip Chun: "My vision for the future is that, lesser and lesser conflicts will
    be resolved by force, and more by negotiation. So how will Wing Chun be
    relevant in the far distant future when no force is being used? So what if
    you can one versus nine? Nobody will be doing it at that time, and will
    Wing Chun be irrelevant and lost then.

In order for Wing Chun to be relevant and be preserved, as martial arts practitioners we must understand it is not only for fighting, but as a way of life, and for contributing to the society. By promoting Wing Chun other than self defence, but also as a way to improve our health (greatly for me), the human
    race will continue to use Wing Chun and Wing Chun will be preserved."
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Very interesting. Thank you for your wisdom. Always good to have advice from someone who does not understand our body structure methods. I am keeping my opponent under my control, that is why the range stays the same. If you think you can move around an opponent when in close range then have fun. A good grappler with eat you alive. You have to be able to control the opponents body power and still be able to delink and hit. That was the skill that I was showing.

Alan Orr
    I see your point now. Things like this are hard to tell just by watching a clip. But ya. i'm not offering any advice, only saying what comes to mind. anyway, i agree - i don't think one can move around that easily either. i'm just saying that based on the video, you're a big guy. How would i know whether you're using structure, skill or simply strength to get the outcome you want? also, what if the guy is bigger and taller than you? do you still maintain a certain distance? what if that's his ideal distance? etc. again, thinking out loud. no egos here, right? it's just a forum

back to the original topic.. regarding different flavors of chi-sao based on origin, again you can contrast the chi sao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzIT...eature=related) with that of the emin clip above. (this is no measure of fight skill or whatnot, just discussing the appearance, flow, strength, control, etc within the different types of chi-sao itself based on its "ancestry" so to say...)
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

i was surprised when i went to hong kong the difference in attitude not all but most seemed to have an ' well im chinese so i dont have to train hard.' still some good guys there but most seemed to thinked they were better because they were chinese. I was always taught by barry its not the style that counts the most it the amount me training done.

Hong Kong is not the only Ip Man wc center any more

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    i was surprised when i went to hong kong the difference in attitude not all but most seemed to have an ' well im chinese so i dont have to train hard.' still some good guys there but most seemed to thinked they were better because they were chinese. I was always taught by barry its not the style that counts the most it the amount me training done.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    True dat- but there are WC folks I know- Chinese and non Chinese who train hard every day.
    In Ip Man's days there were some who trained very hard and others who just came to some classes.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    True dat- but there are WC folks I know- Chinese and non Chinese who train hard every day.
    In Ip Man's days there were some who trained very hard and others who just came to some classes.

joy chaudhuri
    Yea alot of good Wing Chun can be found in Taiwan, Vietnam and other asian countries outside of China.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"