Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XJ Question

XJ Question

XJ:

I found the data about Chan Yiu Chi interesting. I know your dad wasn' part of Group 1 but was he part of Group 2 - War Hap Yee Sing (Uniting Together of the Immortals) or Group 3 - Yee Sup Sei Sing Suks (24 Immortal Uncles)? (I get a kick out of the fancy names)

Also was wondering if you could take a look at this video. The sifu was from the Guandong area and his version of sup gee kow dah is virtually identical to the one I do. I was wondering if yours is the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnULvEnZzFc

Thanks.

Regarding the sup gee video I would like to hear how alike or different it is than the one you practice.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 08-19-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Hi LFNole,

Fairly much the same, that means some of your forms could also have came from the Chan line.

XJ
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 08-19-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Actually most of our forms do come from the Chan line from what I have seen. We have a few that are different but mostly Chan line.

What about Question #1? I found his methodology of teaching different groups kind of interesting and smart for time.

Hi CLFNole,

These groups are for the indoor disciples, the inner chamber ones don't have a title.

My father was too poor to pay for the lessons, so he was neither of these, but he managed to be in the kitchen most of the time, so to speak. The smartest thing he did was to get us out of China and gave me a university education.

He was a great admirer of Chan Yiu-Chi, the classic martial/scholar and installed a respect of the Chan family on me. That is why I get fairly uptight when Frank tries to belittle them.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 08-19-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    XJ:

I found the data about Chan Yiu Chi interesting. I know your dad wasn' part of Group 1 but was he part of Group 2 - War Hap Yee Sing (Uniting Together of the Immortals) or Group 3 - Yee Sup Sei Sing Suks (24 Immortal Uncles)? (I get a kick out of the fancy names)

Also was wondering if you could take a look at this video. The sifu was from the Guandong area and his version of sup gee kow dah is virtually identical to the one I do. I was wondering if yours is the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnULvEnZzFc

Thanks.

Regarding the sup gee video I would like to hear how alike or different it is than the one you practice.
    Hi CLFNole ( and XJ too...), it's possible to know the name of Chan Yu Chi disciple....for each groups?

Thank!!

SY

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Actually most of our forms do come from the Chan line from what I have seen. We have a few that are different but mostly Chan line.

What about Question #1? I found his methodology of teaching different groups kind of interesting and smart for time.
    Hi CLFnole, do you know this website?
    http://poondik.org/Poondik/Home.html
    Have you some info about Poon Dik?
    He studied under Wong Fook Wing 黄福荣 and Leong Gwei 梁贵 and Chan Koon Pak too or only with the firs two?
    There are no interesting info about PD in internet?

Thank!!

SY

Hi SY,

If you can get hold of a copy of the commemorative notes for the return to the origin tour in 2002 you can see the names of nearly 80 of his disciples.

As to the 3 groups, they are not that fixed and not written down in black and white as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

It is a clever conceptual idea for teaching a large number of students and give each other a competitive incentive to do better, as well as a rough area to concentrate, but they intermingled and fluctuated over time.

For example, the Four Heavenly Kings were in reality the ones who took on the fights and the challenges and there were more than four over time.

There is also a picture of his 12 inner chamber disciples taken during the early republicans era, but no names were given but they be researched.

The most interesting article for Frank (may be not, since he turns a blind eye on the Chan side of things) would be the one written by Chen Zhong-Jie, where he wrote about the relationship between the Hung Mun (overturn the Qing and restore the Ming) symbolism and the CLF Kai Jong, as well as the revolutionary meanings of the CLF couplets.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 08-20-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    no, don't get me wrong EJ......it's not that i'm not interested, it's that im sticking to MY family's history. I would like to know more about Chan Heung's Hung Mun involvement since if he was a member, he'd be my society brother "as we are all brothers under HEAVEN".

Now, if you want to post anything, i'm willing to check it out. Just from what i know, and what i see in Chan Family material is a little different than the Hung Mun symbolism in mine.

Because i am more convinced about our history.......i can take a look at yours now.

This is an honest question.....not a shot......."if the Hung Mun aspect of Chan Family stopped with Chan Heung and not continued by neither Koon Pak nor Chan Yiu Chi.....what generation of CLF and Hung Mun Chen Zhong-Jie does he mention?

however....

Hung Mun (overturn the Qing and restore the Ming)
    wasn't the original sentiments.......it was more violent in its original stages. more like KILL the Qing or Exterminate the Ching. IMHO it's very important to know what they were going through in those times. while other secret societies had consequences if caught, it was primarily the HUNG society that INSTANT DECAPITATION was mandated.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-20-2009 at 07:18 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    I will ask you this EJ........since you are basically ancient......

In hong kong........there was Buk Sing Master who was the Loong Tau for the Hung Mun, and till this day THAT position there has NOT been filled. My Dai Gor was a soldier under that Loong Tau.........

Do you know whom i'm talking about. Its one of the only Buk Sing master you just don't hear about.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    Hi SY,

If you can get hold of a copy of the commemorative notes for the return to the origin tour in 2002 you can see the names of nearly 80 of his disciples.
    Thank yoo XJ, I can try to get a copy asking to Sifu Chen Yong Fa?

SY

It's almost exactly the same as ours also. Our opening is slightly different though. this is my favorite form
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    For example, the Four Heavenly Kings were in reality the ones who took on the fights and the challenges and there were more than four over time.
    Hi XJ, I found this: "...Chan Yiu Chi’s four most senior disciples were Woo Wan Cheuk, Kan Ying Kit, Har Pic Chi
    and Ngoi Kong Yeung. They were nicknamed The “Four Heavenly Great Kings” of Choy Lee
    Fut..."

From an article named GRANDMASTER LI IU LING – Choy Lee Fut Zhongshi par excellence.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    no, don't get me wrong EJ......it's not that i'm not interested, it's that im sticking to MY family's history. I would like to know more about Chan Heung's Hung Mun involvement since if he was a member, he'd be my society brother "as we are all brothers under HEAVEN".

Now, if you want to post anything, i'm willing to check it out. Just from what i know, and what i see in Chan Family material is a little different than the Hung Mun symbolism in mine.

Because i am more convinced about our history.......i can take a look at yours now.

This is an honest question.....not a shot......."if the Hung Mun aspect of Chan Family stopped with Chan Heung and not continued by neither Koon Pak nor Chan Yiu Chi.....what generation of CLF and Hung Mun Chen Zhong-Jie does he mention?
    I gave you the website info before but you had it deleted, so it is your bad luck. Pity about the CLF movie thread, you have got it deleted as well.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 08-20-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyang View Post
    Hi XJ, I found this: "...Chan Yiu Chi’s four most senior disciples were Woo Wan Cheuk, Kan Ying Kit, Har Pic Chi
    and Ngoi Kong Yeung. They were nicknamed The “Four Heavenly Great Kings” of Choy Lee
    Fut..."

From an article named GRANDMASTER LI IU LING – Choy Lee Fut Zhongshi par excellence.

SY
    Well done, I am not really into titles myself and I think they must have been the last lot of the Sidai Tianwang, but I could be wrong.

Didn't Har Bik Chi's daughter continue to teach? I thought she may have retired in Canada or possibl the states.

XJ:

Was Chan Yiu Chi well known for a particular hand or weapon set?
    Last edited by CLFNole; 08-20-2009 at 10:13 AM.