Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XJ Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyang View Post
    Hi CLFnole, do you know this website?
    http://poondik.org/Poondik/Home.html
    Have you some info about Poon Dik?
    He studied under Wong Fook Wing 黄福荣 and Leong Gwei 梁贵 and Chan Koon Pak too or only with the firs two?
    There are no interesting info about PD in internet?

Thank!!

SY
    I won't say much about that website other than there are some political motives behind it.

As far as I know Poon Dik studied with Leung Kwai and Wong Fook who both had studied byChan Koon Pak. I know Leung Kwai also studied with Jeong Yim but not sure about Wong Fook.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I won't say much about that website other than there are some political motives behind it.

As far as I know Poon Dik studied with Leung Kwai and Wong Fook who both had studied byChan Koon Pak. I know Leung Kwai also studied with Jeong Yim but not sure about Wong Fook.
    Thank you brother!!

SY

Didn't Har Bik Chi's daughter continue to teach? I thought she may have retired in Canada or possibl the states.

XJ:

Was Chan Yiu Chi well known for a particular hand or weapon set?
    Har Gim-Ping taught in HK for a while and then went to her children in Canada. Chen Yiu Chi was well known for his nei-lim-sou (behind the curtain hands) and the wooden dummies. He carries a fan most of the time and used it very effectively. My father said he can pick up anything and use it as a weapon, and make a kung fu set out of it that looked and felt like nothing but pure CLF.

As far as I know Poon Dik studied with Leung Kwai and Wong Fook who both had studied by Chan Koon Pak. I know Leung Kwai also studied with Jeong Yim but not sure about Wong Fook.
    There were a lot of cross training in the olden days, so even though there were three names of the same sound but different characters used over time, we share many of the same things together and strictly speaking they are not three separate branches. Bak-Sing came later and I have been told even Tam Sarm was reluctant to use the term Bak Sing at first, but that is a story I don't want to get into.

Another way to classify CLF is by areas like Xinhui CLF, Jiangmen CLF, Foshan CLF and Guangzhou CLF as well as Beisheng CLF (I used pinyin here). This is an olden way of doing things, not very popular today because now we travel too much.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    Chen Yiu Chi was well known for his nei-lim-sou (behind the curtain hands) and the wooden dummies. He carries a fan most of the time and used it very effectively. My father said he can pick up anything and use it as a weapon, and make a kung fu set out of it that looked and felt like nothing but pure CLF.
    I had read about his skill with the dummies. It is interesting and I would imagine many people did take him for granted becuase looking at him you wouldn't think much as he appears rather frail in most pictures.

Regarding the dummies and I am not sure if you would know this or not but at any time were all 18 actually built or are some merely conceptual? It mentioned Koon Pak was really well known for the dummies so I would imagine they were all built at some time just not now.

Another way to classify CLF is by areas like Xinhui CLF, Jiangmen CLF, Foshan CLF and Guangzhou CLF as well as Beisheng CLF (I used pinyin here). This is an olden way of doing things, not very popular today because now we travel too much.
    Actually this is a good way to look at it as you can see different nuiances from each area. I have seen some stuff from Jiangmen and they do somethings differently. A friend of mine who has learned a bit from a lineage there mentioned that the arc of the sow choy is more along a hoizontal plane rather than the angle that we use and it had something to do with the fact that many of the villagers in that area were short so the sow choy was adapted. I don't know if this is true or not but it miight make sense.

It takes money and space and time to train the dummies, so they got done not so much in the first generation but in the second and third. Then the Chinese civil war, the Japanese invasion and the Communist rule came, so the fourth generation mainly missed out until recent times they got revived. According to Chen Yong Fa, the only time all 18 of them got done in one place was in Choy Bak Tat's (Chen Yiu Chi's disciple) home, he came from a really rich family. These 18 dummies are not conceptual and there are detail drawings one can use to build one.

That is kinda what I thought. Given space constraints of modern society I doubt some will ever be built as I am sure dummies from other styles have been lost over time. At least they still have all the plans to build them if needed but I would imagine that some of the skill in using the older dummies that haven't been around for a while would be lost. Yes a skilled CLF player could figure the dummy out but that still isn't the same as being instructed on how to use a dummy by someone who also used and mastered it.

Actually this is a good way to look at it as you can see different nuiances from each area. I have seen some stuff from Jiangmen and they do somethings differently. A friend of mine who has learned a bit from a lineage there mentioned that the arc of the sow choy is more along a hoizontal plane rather than the angle that we use and it had something to do with the fact that many of the villagers in that area were short so the sow choy was adapted. I don't know if this is true or not but it miight make sense.
    I think Doc Fai also lean towards this way of classify things. I don't know who started this Chen family thing, but I am not a fan of it because it was not the intention of Chan Heung in the first place, otherwise he would have called what he has created Choy Lee Chen. He deliberately not used his family name to make sure it is a Shaolin art for all and not just to glorify his family, but it seems to have stuck.

That is kinda what I thought. Given space constraints of modern society I doubt some will ever be built as I am sure dummies from other styles have been lost over time. At least they still have all the plans to build them if needed but I would imagine that some of the skill in using the older dummies that haven't been around for a while would be lost. Yes a skilled CLF player could figure the dummy out but that still isn't the same as being instructed on how to use a dummy by someone who also used and mastered it.
    There will be CLF affectionados who will make them in their living room like a piece of work of art to impress their friends! Especially the ones with the wheels running and the loaded springs springing all over the place and the wooden planks bouncing back and forth and up and down, making a racket...

I think the term Chan Family CLF is something modern and likely created on these forums due to lack of knowledge as to how to classify them. I think most people look at "Chan Family" if you will, as the CLF that has stayed down the family line to Chan Wing Fat. Then it gets confusing with the 2 hung sings - Koon Paks & Jeong Yims.

Personally I wish we could all just call it CLF instead of being so segmented, but that is human nature.

There will be CLF affectionados who will make them in their living room like a piece of work of art to impress their friends! Especially the ones with the wheels running and the loaded springs springing all over the place and the wooden planks bouncing back and forth and up and down, making a racket...
    I would imagine they keep these plans rather guarded, no?

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    It’s interesting what you said about Jiangmen & arc of the sow choy Fong Yuk Shu 方玉书 from my CLF lineage spent time there & our sow choy’s usually done a along a horizontal plane/

Our sau choy travels mostly at a downward arc and we are from the Fong Yuk Shu line
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Our sau choy travels mostly at a downward arc and we are from the Fong Yuk Shu line
    We actually do both but mostly the horizontal plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEged...e=channel_page
    Last edited by Mano Mano; 08-20-2009 at 01:02 PM.