Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 87

Thread: Anderson 'The Spider' Silva

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right there
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I know you are a little guy, from you pic at least, and you really wanna believe that and that's cool.
    It doesn't change the fact that ANYONE that has fought full contact knows WHY there is a weight limit.
    When tow fighters meet in a match, and skill level is relatively the same, guess what happens?

    Of course there are exeptions, Mirco and Rodrigo taking out Sapp is an example.
    Of course Sapp was just a side show and Mirco and Rodrigo where way over his head in terms of fighting ability.
    um im six foot two and 220 pounds

    of course there are exceptions because size doesnt mean anything if the smaller person is skilled

    I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

    left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

    handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    um im six foot two and 220 pounds

    of course there are exceptions because size doesnt mean anything if the smaller person is skilled
    Who was that kid in the pic you posted doing a side kick ? I though that was you?
    And even when the smaller person is skilled, size still means something, heck in Mifune the Judo grandmaster said that !.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right there
    Posts
    3,216
    it is me and a poster on here who i met and sparred with me and said im over six foot and over 200 pounds on here after we sparred

    it means it can be a problem if they land on top of you in say the mount however size is no gaurantee of strength therefore its no the most useful thing

    take morio hihaonna for example hes a touch short of being a leprechaun and look how powerful he is im a foot taller than him and more than a hundred pounds heavier and i wouldnt like to fight him anytime soon

    I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

    left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

    handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    it is me and a poster on here who i met and sparred with me and said im over six foot and over 200 pounds on here after we sparred

    it means it can be a problem if they land on top of you in say the mount however size is no gaurantee of strength therefore its no the most useful thing

    take morio hihaonna for example hes a touch short of being a leprechaun and look how powerful he is im a foot taller than him and more than a hundred pounds heavier and i wouldnt like to fight him anytime soon
    LOL !
    Ah, I see, too funny.
    I have met Master Higaonna and have had the chance to train with him back in the 90's.
    Very cool dude and very nice man, hits like a mule too, of course he said the same thing about me, or at least that is what the interpreter said, LOL !
    Maybe he was calling me a mule, or saw me naked...anyway, that is another story.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right there
    Posts
    3,216
    yup freakishly strong man he is
    Last edited by goju; 08-21-2009 at 01:34 PM.

    I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

    left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

    handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Ueshiba was another guy that, supposedly, in his prime was like 5-1 and 160lbs !
    He was reknown for his strength.
    Yep, the creator of Aikido, O-Sensei.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right there
    Posts
    3,216
    um he was? knid of funny being that he invented an art based soley on miinimal force
    but of course your being a sarcastic arse because you cant argue your point clearly
    your delusioned enough to think size some how ads up to being useful in a fight

    I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

    left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

    handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    um he was? knid of funny being that he invented an art based soley on miinimal force
    but of course your being a sarcastic arse because you cant argue your point clearly
    youer delusioned enough to think size some how ads up to being useful in a fight
    You crack me up sometimes !
    LOL !

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right there
    Posts
    3,216
    oh beleive me the feeling is more than mutual

    I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

    left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

    handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That, and the fact that he had enough trouble with a "run of the mill" HW.
    And they were only what, 15lbs different?
    Imagine RJJ VS Lennox?
    A slaughter.
    well ruiz was a title holder
    as ugly as his style is he's not really "run of the mill"
    he can actually fight when he wants to
    he got starched by Tua, but went 1-1-1 with a circa 2000 holyfield, took out rahman, golota, and lost 2 close fights with 7 foot Nikolay Valuev

    Dempsey and Marciano were better examples
    In the old boxing days anything above 175 really didn't matter
    what they did to larger men (230+) while weighing in the 180s should be illegal.
    Dempsey's build was comparable to Silva's actually

    In Muay Thai you got Kaoklai and Saenchai routinely giving up ridiculous weight to fight - yeah Kaoklai's record isn't spotless, but he scored that KO over mighty mo so anything's possible.

    In pure BJJ you've got guys like Marcello Garcia.

    I'm sure every sport has examples of guys that fight at higher weights.

    I would've liked to have seen Silva go for Rashad Evans before trying heavyweight.
    Rashad's another guy who used to fight at heavyweight and that would've been an interesting fight. Silva vs Couture at heavy would also be something I'd like to see.

    As touted as Brock Lesnar's size & strength are, Randy Couture did pretty well for being so old & undersized until catching that big right hand.

    Watching Fedor fighting at 230 against guys in the 300s and dominating makes me wonder if the old boxing weight class idea wasn't completely crazy. I mean, at a certain point there's a limit to human potential. We're not ants, we don't lift weights proportional to our size. The weights guys under 200 put up in powerlifting aren't so much lower than the guys over 200.

    Silva's long time training partner is Nogueira a prior UFC heavyweight champion, so I think he'd be a good measuring stick.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,206
    Anderson Silva ducking top competition at light heavyweight.

    This is nothing new.

    Too bad those heavyweights would wreck him as well.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A natural HW ( in the sport combat weight category sense) is someone that, in peak condition, is over the 220 mark.
    That is not Silva.
    Giving up 50lbs is HUGE at almost any level of competitive fighting, even more so when you get to the elite level.
    thank god someone actually talking sense on the subject. anyone who has competed will tell you its best to be at the top end of the weight bracket than at the bottom of it getting squashed by the big lads

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    well ruiz was a title holder
    as ugly as his style is he's not really "run of the mill"
    he can actually fight when he wants to
    he got starched by Tua, but went 1-1-1 with a circa 2000 holyfield, took out rahman, golota, and lost 2 close fights with 7 foot Nikolay Valuev

    Dempsey and Marciano were better examples
    In the old boxing days anything above 175 really didn't matter
    what they did to larger men (230+) while weighing in the 180s should be illegal.
    Dempsey's build was comparable to Silva's actually

    In Muay Thai you got Kaoklai and Saenchai routinely giving up ridiculous weight to fight - yeah Kaoklai's record isn't spotless, but he scored that KO over mighty mo so anything's possible.

    In pure BJJ you've got guys like Marcello Garcia.

    I'm sure every sport has examples of guys that fight at higher weights.

    I would've liked to have seen Silva go for Rashad Evans before trying heavyweight.
    Rashad's another guy who used to fight at heavyweight and that would've been an interesting fight. Silva vs Couture at heavy would also be something I'd like to see.

    As touted as Brock Lesnar's size & strength are, Randy Couture did pretty well for being so old & undersized until catching that big right hand.

    Watching Fedor fighting at 230 against guys in the 300s and dominating makes me wonder if the old boxing weight class idea wasn't completely crazy. I mean, at a certain point there's a limit to human potential. We're not ants, we don't lift weights proportional to our size. The weights guys under 200 put up in powerlifting aren't so much lower than the guys over 200.

    Silva's long time training partner is Nogueira a prior UFC heavyweight champion, so I think he'd be a good measuring stick.
    its not so much the strength difference as the sheer size and weight you are being forced to try to move. and the added weight behind the punches yu are taking.


    Fedor beat guys no where near his skill level, when skills are closely matched size matters.

    Guys like lesnar are too big and too athletic. can you imagine BJ Penn fighting Rampage? that would be weight alomst the same difference as we are talking about here.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I know you are a little guy, from you pic at least, and you really wanna believe that and that's cool.
    It doesn't change the fact that ANYONE that has fought full contact knows WHY there is a weight limit.
    When tow fighters meet in a match, and skill level is relatively the same, guess what happens?

    Of course there are exeptions, Mirco and Rodrigo taking out Sapp is an example.
    Of course Sapp was just a side show and Mirco and Rodrigo where way over his head in terms of fighting ability.
    This is so true, so many people want to believe that training in a martial art will make them able to beat a bigger stronger opponent, those who have competed know the reality. Size matters, strenght and mass are killers.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right there
    Posts
    3,216
    but as i said SIZE DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE STRONG

    and any time a smaller person beats a bigger person theres allways an excuse its rediculous
    speed power technique are all things that are important size does not guarantee any of this therefore it is not a needed thing


    look for example when brock was still in pro wrestling kurt angle beat him at a actual wrestling match back stage and look at the size difference between the two

    but of course its an exception to right lol

    I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

    left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

    handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •