Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anderson 'The Spider' Silva

maybe there will be a fall out like ortiz & liddell and we could even see him smash macheata !!!

Just to echo SR. Its not just about what you can dish out.

I'm in the same boat at barely scratching 155. There are only a couple other guys in the gym my size to train with. Since not everyone can always be present, more often than not I'm giving up 30+ lbs to my training partners, sometimes upwards of 100lbs. Typically I don't mind, I like a challenge. BUT....

Both myself and the other guy at my weight have longer recovery times than anybody else in the gym. Getting beat up by bigger guys on a consistent basis takes its toll. Sometimes its cumulative, others its one shot that normally you could take but simply the guy was just too dang big and momentum f'n sucks.

My right knee is especially troublesome.
    <===Southpaw

I can't imagine what a knock down drag out fight with that kind of size difference would be like. Thankfully I probably won't ever have to.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Just to echo SR. Its not just about what you can dish out.

I'm in the same boat at barely scratching 155. There are only a couple other guys in the gym my size to train with. Since not everyone can always be present, more often than not I'm giving up 30+ lbs to my training partners, sometimes upwards of 100lbs. Typically I don't mind, I like a challenge. BUT....

Both myself and the other guy at my weight have longer recovery times than anybody else in the gym. Getting beat up by bigger guys on a consistent basis takes its toll. Sometimes its cumulative, others its one shot that normally you could take but simply the guy was just too dang big and momentum f'n sucks.

My right knee is especially troublesome.
    <===Southpaw

I can't imagine what a knock down drag out fight with that kind of size difference would be like. Thankfully I probably won't ever have to.
    You echo the sentiments of all that have ever done full contact, even hard contact, with a bigger opponent.
    Hang in there, it only gets worse !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You echo the sentiments of all that have ever done full contact, even hard contact, with a bigger opponent.
    and yet we had to argue this point over and over with a certain person and the threats now 5 pages long...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and yet we had to argue this point over and over with a certain person and the threats now 5 pages long...
    hope you ain't referring to me

SoCo
    you need to learn the term "stick and move" and live by it
    I'm a southpaw too
    if a guy that weighs 255 is constantly catching you & blasting your right leg, then you're doing something wrong.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

lol no they are referring to me as i said fellas you lose to some one bigger than you becuase they were a better martial artist not because they were bigger thats just a lousy excuse for not being humble enough to admit you lost to some one so you claim you did because of the size difference and to that i say

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    SoCo
    you need to learn the term "stick and move" and live by it
    I'm a southpaw too
    if a guy that weighs 255 is constantly catching you & blasting your right leg, then you're doing something wrong.
    Haha no that guy is a boxer convert. He likes to try blasting me in the face. And for a dude that big, his hands are incredibly fast. Actually I think he said the other day he walks around about 280.

Nah the guys that like to chew my leg up are in the 170 range. Still doesn't take away from what you said. But just that they are really quick. I do wish I got to work with one guy (another southpaw) more cuz he was real good. Like he just got invited to ATT and went pro good. I woulda liked to pick up a few more things from him if I could have.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Lol, I figure as much. And its more than just the punches and kicks to ya know? Its stuff that you wouldn't even think about til you're there. Like how much more wind it takes out of you if you get pancaked under a sprawl when they got 30+ on you. Or like the other day, a dude weights about 230 shot in on me doing takedown drills. I sprawled ok, but in the process took and accidental forearm to the sack. Had my cup on but that's still 230 lbs of forward momentum to the cajones.
    Or when you do get slammed on a takedown. Or my personal favorite, when I get stuck rolling with one of the heavyweights and I'm stuck in scarf control. And they're like, "why you breathing so hard?" And I'm just thinking to myself, lets back a truck up on your chest...

Still though, its good times

SoCo
    I'm in a situation right now where I split my time between a dedicated muay thai gym and a mma gym.

The mma gym has a boxing coach I've trained with a few times. I was even considering switching to boxing full-time. On top of that, one of my buddies might be taking over their muay thai program. I've been down there a lot, kinda scoping things out, but I really can't bring myself to train there full-time.

See, this gym's really kinda affected my concept of mma guys. It's weird constantly being sized up by the guys, just coz they don't know me that well & see me training my coworkers on occasion.

The ground stuff I'll give 'em coz I really ain't good at that stuff & just don't really enjoy training that stuff - one of the things i enjoy about training is NOT having to deal with other people.

Watching their stand up, I can't help but shake my head.
    I know if I spar there, I'm gonna end up hurting folks.
    These guys are way too aggressive for their own good & don't have the skill to protect themselves.

Now I'm not accusing you of being at the same type of gym; but my experience is that a lot of mma guys cover their complete lack of technique & game plan with hyper aggression.

If the other dude's a boxing convert, he's probably gonna have good stand up.
    Boxers also pick up muay thai quicker than most.

height-wise can you teep (pushkick) the guy without him reaching you with a punch?
    if so, a good teep can really be a great equalizer - even with a size mismatch.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    SoCo
    I'm in a situation right now where I split my time between a dedicated muay thai gym and a mma gym.

The mma gym has a boxing coach I've trained with a few times. I was even considering switching to boxing full-time. On top of that, one of my buddies might be taking over their muay thai program. I've been down there a lot, kinda scoping things out, but I really can't bring myself to train there full-time.

See, this gym's really kinda affected my concept of mma guys. It's weird constantly being sized up by the guys, just coz they don't know me that well & see me training my coworkers on occasion.

The ground stuff I'll give 'em coz I really ain't good at that stuff & just don't really enjoy training that stuff - one of the things i enjoy about training is NOT having to deal with other people.

Watching their stand up, I can't help but shake my head.
    I know if I spar there, I'm gonna end up hurting folks.
    These guys are way too aggressive for their own good & don't have the skill to protect themselves.

Now I'm not accusing you of being at the same type of gym; but my experience is that a lot of mma guys cover their complete lack of technique & game plan with hyper aggression.

If the other dude's a boxing convert, he's probably gonna have good stand up.
    Boxers also pick up muay thai quicker than most.

height-wise can you teep (pushkick) the guy without him reaching you with a punch?
    if so, a good teep can really be a great equalizer - even with a size mismatch.
    I understand the hyper aggression thing. That's not so much a problem with the guys I spare with the most. That's more a thing the new guys go through. Typically though when someone starts pulling that stuff one of the guys that's been around a while will take em for a round or two with the premise of hit me as hard as you want me to hit you. After a couple good shots most learn to keep themselves under control.

Other than that the only time people start to kinda get hard is when someone's about to fight. That week leading up to it people tend to get into hitting a bit harder.

Teep the boxer? Possibly. He's got pretty good reach though, given he's like 6'4"
    That and his wrestling is getting a lot better lately.

Whenever I join a new gym I usually stick to solo worjk for the first couple of weeks, lots of bag work and pad work, it allows me to mark my territory and usually gets people into thinking "Boy, the little ****er can hit".
    When sparring comes around I tend to be easy going untill someone isn't and typically that happens in the first or second sparring match, usually a statement needs to be made, but after that everyone is cool.
    Of course this was awhile back, I am more mellow and relaxed now

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Teep the boxer? Possibly. He's got pretty good reach though, given he's like 6'4"
    That and his wrestling is getting a lot better lately.
    see, I think height & reach make a waaaayyy bigger difference than just weight.
    yeah, teeping the 6'4 guy's not a good game plan, f**ker probably also has killer knees

SR
    These guys don't really have anybody around that gym who knows what they're doing, outside of the coaches and a couple of competitive fighters who don't work out with the class. So nobody's really corrected them. Lots of huge swinging and guys who have no clue thinking they're good because they have no concept of where they stand in the grand scheme of things.

I usually use a 3 strike system, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt a couple times, but by the 3rd I'm not going to take it anymore. This is also one reason I'm sick of little guys. Little guys "strike out" with me way more than big guys & I hate getting yelled at for putting an end to the "I can hit you as hard as I want coz I'm little" cr@p.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-01-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Well, that is MMA for you. A lot of them have subpar standup.

My standup is not even that good and a lot of MMA guys have ****tier standup than me, so it's pretty sad.

But that is MMA though, you don't need to be an expert striker to win.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Why do you think MMA guys have sub par stand up?

is it the fact they have to concentrate on three areas of fighting, stand-up, wrestling and the ground, and those that come from a wrestling or bjj game and naturally like working that which they are comfortable with?

Over here in the UK it tends to be the other way around a lot of fairly good stand-up guys (usually with a thai background) with crappy wrestling

I think part of it is not dedicating themselves to the standup 100%

but I think for a lot of them, it is the mentality that they can mess around with stand up for a month or two and think they're world beaters,
    when in reality they wouldn't last 5 rounds in a real boxing gym

it goes back to what i was saying about the guys at the gym i go to not having anybody around who really knows what they're doing.

it also doesn't help that the instructor's a converted TKD guy trying to pass his stuff of as legit muay thai.

i'm just so sick of seeing 5 superman punches a round from guys who can't keep their hands up or even properly throw simple punches & kicks.

superman punch used to be my flashy, show-off move that i would do on little quick guys. wouldn't really try to hurt 'em none, just make 'em freak out because some big, slow, fat dude tagged 'em with a garbage punch.

also see a lot of the spinning backfist with no set up & no purpose.
    in utility i'd use spinning backfist as part of a combo to set up a nasty spinning back kick (they get used to defending the backfist high and i sneak the back kick to the ribs).

it's like these guys are trying to pull off flying armbars before even having a decent guard.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-02-2009 at 08:52 AM.