Thread: America’s Best Dance Crew

America’s Best Dance Crew

I just received the following press release. Remember our Shaolin on Superstars of Dance thread? This looks different.

This Sunday is Martial Arts Week on “America’s Best Dance Crew”. A former ABDC champion drops in on rehearsals and teaches the crews incredible Martial Arts styles that they must incorporate into this week’s routines.

Here are the songs each crew will perform to during Episode 3, as well as the type of martial arts they'll be mixing into their routines:

AFROBORIKE (Capoiera) - "I Know You Want Me" Pitbull
    BEAT YA FEET KINGS (Tae Kwon Do) - "Chillin" Wale
    MASSIVE MONKEES (Extreme Martial Arts) - "Bounce" Masterkraft ft. N.O.R.E.
    RHYTHM CITY (Muay Thai) - "LaLaLa" LMFAO
    SOUTHERN MOVEMENT (Kali) - "Ugly" Bubba Sparxxx
    VOGUE EVOLUTION (Shaolin Kung Fu) - "Work" Ciara
    WE ARE HEROES (Karate) - "Starstruck" 3OH!3

And here is a link to this week’s promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9j1LdQSqrI

“America’s Best Dance Crew” airs Sundays at 9pm ET/PT on MTV.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So did anyone tune in?

There are some vids if you follow the first link.
    'America's Best Dance Crew': Kicked out with the martial arts
    August 24, 2009 | 8:00 am

The martial-arts challenge, with a huge assist from Quest crew's Steve Terada, seemed like it would be a fun and difficult addition to "America's Best Dance Crew's" list of difficult challenges. Not just integrating it into a dance routine, but also not having it look corny or too contrived. For possibly the first time this season, the bottom-two battle was awesome. Last week's Artistry in Motion and Afroborike head-to-head was tough but not like this one. And I don't know what was with Shane Sparks, but he was extremely critical of almost all of the crews this week, setting a tough tone for the judging. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Afroborike. Like I said last week, they had to give them capoeira, and they did! Definitely wanted to see those dual round kicks, and they did try, but Shane called their routine boring. Martial-arts-wise, he's right. This performance didn't really solidify their standing as the crew chose an easy cartwheel as its particular martial-arts movement, so they may again be in the bottom two next week.

We Are Heroes. The group had to incorporate karate into their performance. Complex moves, but when you're a pop lockin' crew, complex moves can be broken down. You assumed crews would have faux fights, but there was a cool section with a kick and a back flip that was pretty nice. As Lil Mama said, this "crew is so dope it don't make no sense." JC Chasez and Shane said it started slow but, overall, another strong performance.

Massive Monkeys. Still waiting for something spectacular to happen with this crew, but they brought energy. Their challenge was extreme martial arts, and they performed it adequately. There were some cool flips, and the crew paired up well to fight, but as Shane said, there was really only one guy who performed their challenge -- the 540 kick. It was a tough thing to pick, but they did the choosing.

Vogue Evolution. Kung fu's animalistic movements mixed with freestyling Vogue-ers -- it seemed a good match, but combining the feminine with a masculine fighting style was a challenge. It ended up being cute, but kung fu is not supposed to be cute. JC, after he could regain his voice, said their moves looked like "a scratching post" and that they were sloppy in sections. Shane, still on his roll, said he didn't "like it at all."

Beat Ya Feet Kings. Tae kwon do. Wow. The way this crew does footwork, it could have been special. It was OK but not memorable. They almost created a new martial art, but that wasn't the challenge. Shane said that crews need to stop "watching YouTube," because crews are doing some of the same moves year to year.

Rhythm City. Oh. My. Goodness. JC's favorite crew is back. Their style was muy Thai, but that almost didn't matter. First, they came in costumed like the Bride, Gogo and the Crazy 88s from "Kill Bill." Then, as Shane said, they brought some moves he didn't expect (double back flips off of one person!) and were extremely precise with some nicely intricate moves.

Southern Movement. Easily the toughest challenge of the night: having to incorporate a stick-fighting style. But they did it and and were great. The dancing itself was the thing that raised their level. These people can dance, whether they throw the hick-hop in there or not, and that was brought to the forefront in this routine. The sticks did not help, though the cool twirling brought a rise from the crowd.

Speaking of the crowd ... they had been giving most of the crews standing ovations all night long, which may have created a false sense of comfort to the crews until the judges laid into them. The only crew that got a standing ovation from both the crowd and the judges was Rhythm City -- and they won the challenge.

Unlike Artistry in Motion's teary exit last week -- probably one of the saddest in the show's history -- Southern Movement (which got love from a local paper) went out on a high note both in its performance and, at least on the surface, in its attitude.

Next week: Bollywood. It would seem as if Rhythm City, We Are Heroes and Vogue Evolution are conditioned well for this, but who knows what the challenge could bring? In using Bollywood, the show is once again going global as it hypes dance and fuses it to the hip-hop culture. Last week, I gave a quick intro to a dance crew from Korea called Last for One. Here's their take on hip hop.

-- Jevon Phillips
    America's Best Dance Crew Season 4: Episode 3 Recap
    Posted on 08/23/2009 by Gina in Americas Best Dance Crew 4
    by Danae Young

This week on America’s Best Dance Crew, each crew had a different martial arts challenge they needed to have as the main feature in their routines.

Up first was Afroborike who’s martial arts style was capoeira. Shane said it was boring, weak, and had no energy. Lil Mama agrees with Shane and thinks they really need to bring it. JC wrapped it all up by simply saying it wasn’t spectacular.

We Are Heroes was up next with their karate moves. Lil Mama said they are a dope group that brings an intriguing part to the show. JC thought it started slow but picked up and was very theatrical and athletic. Shane agrees with JC and said they executed the task well.

Following their performance was Vogue Evolution who had to include kung fu in their dance. JC wasn’t quite sure what to say at first but said it was a cute start and the choreography was fun but not difficult. The crowd all booed when Shane exclaimed that he didn’t like it at all. Lil Mama agrees with JC and thought their performance gave the crowd visuals.

Massive Monkees received the challenge if extreme martial arts. Shane noticed that only one person actually did the correct kick which he thought was the easy way out. JC agreed saying that they didn’t quite do the task. Lil Mama also agreed with the boys but said it was still an action packed performance.

The next crew to perform was Beat Ya Feet Kings with their tae kwon do moves. Lil Mama said it had a smooth pace and was very clean. Shane thought some parts were repeated. He said they need to step it up and stop watching YouTube. JC told them their choreography was very upright and they didn’t use a lot of levels.

Then it was time for the battle between Rhythm City and Southern Movement to see which crew gets to continue on to next week’s show. Rhythm City had to prove they deserved to stay with their muay thai. Shane said they put themselves back on the map with their performance. Southern Movement had a tough challenge called kali which incorporates a stick. JC thought these were the two best performances of the night and said Southern Movement killed it with the prop. Lil Mama felt the energy and could tell that both crews were trying to make a point.

After much deliberation, it came time for Southern Movement’s banner to fall.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

**** you beat me too it gene... i saw this last night, only three crews really did well with there challenge. the all girl group we are heroes, rhythm city, and southern movement. the rest pretty much sucked. the group who got kung fu was vogue evolution and without sounding prejudice in anyway they just gayed it up and there was not even a hint of kung fu. shane sparks one of the judges and the only legit dancer took a machine gun to almost everyone. the last two crews were the best performance of the night. my favorite was rhythm city, and not just because they are from my old hood in the BX where i grew up. but because they killed the challenge and one of the dancers Danielle was giving the nice shout out to bruce lee rocking the yellow and black.

****, I only saw the first episode and keep missing it every sunday night. I'll catch the repeats.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Oh wtF!?!

Click for vid, if you dare. I warn you. It's not kung fu. It's kung fay.
    Last Word
    Who's saying what about gay and lesbian issues
    Catty kung fu carries Vogue Evolution through third week of MTV's ''Dance Crew''
    Posted by JD Uy on August 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Permalink

''Our snaps is like 'gag!' Not 'Too Wong Foo' snaps. That is soooo '98. That's so 'Living Color.'''

Members of Vogue Evolution, a group of four gay men and one trans woman, who are competing on the MTV show ''America's Best Dance Crew.'' Their animalistic, martial arts-based routine left former N'Sync member JC Chasez tongue tied. Another group of local interest is ''Beat Ya Feet Kings,'' a group from Washington, DC. Both are guaranteed a spot in Week 4. (MTV)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Travis Wong

Solid interview. It turns the tone of this thread around.
    America's Best Dance Crew and Asian American Visibility

Many Americans were shocked the first time they watched MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew. Who were all the Asian American dancers? Where did the come from? Conducive talks to one of those up and coming dancers. Travis Wong has recently been featured in campaigns for Coca Cola and Dell Computers, worked as a martial arts coordinator for MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew, choreographed for Miley Cyrus, and will be in three upcoming episodes of Cold Case. Wong sounds off with Conducive's Brielle Nikaido about being Asian American in the entertainment industry, his experience working on the dance crews, and what young dancers can do to succeed.

America's Best Dance Crew and Asian Americans: Interview with Travis Wong
    By Brielle Nikaido

OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2009 CONDUCIVE

Brielle Nikaido: What was your experience like working for America's Best Dance Crew?

Travis_3Travis Wong: Working on America’s Best Dance Crew was an incredible opportunity. It meant a lot because I was a fan of the show before being hired. I was able to be a part of the episode’s development from its original martial arts episode pitch to MTV. I worked with my friend Steve Terada from the dance crew, Quest Crew, in selecting the styles and moves to represent them, and worked with the crews on their choreography while staying true to their martial art assignment. The production crew and the other people who work on the show are truly amazing and made my experience memorable.

Brielle Nikaido: Can you walk us through your dance experience? What dance crews have you been on?

Travis Wong: My martial arts career shaped my dance career. The Tony Tee Dance Company recruited me in 2005 to help instruct some of their students in basic martial arts and to add a flare to their choreography for an upcoming show. So I took classes with their international academy. They had an exchange college program for dancers in Japan to come and take classes and be exposed to the industry. Within a few months, I was performing with the crew and doing old school styles such as locking. Eventually, I headed to Japan to perform and workshop with the company. After returning from Japan, I wanted to further my own style and practice several different styles from locking, popping, and robotin.

After graduating from University of California Santa Barbara in 2008, I focused on my stunt career and martial arts training in martial arts and parkour/freerunning style everyday. At the beginning of 2009, I was fortunate enough to be introduced to dancer Chris Scott, who reignited my desire to practice dancing and told me that my skills would be valuable within the industry. Within months, he and director Jon Chu gave me the opportunity to be a character in the original series The LXD: The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers, which will be released later this year. Elite dancers from different genres perform and Jon Chu script explains the origins of each dance.

Brielle Nikaido: How has dancing shaped your career path? Where do you see yourself in ten years from now?

Travis Wong: I had originally believed I would only be successful as a stuntman, doing martial arts, or parkour in commercials and film. After recovering from knee surgery several months ago, I had the opportunity to be a dance coordinator. I worked on America's Best Dance Crew Season 4, as a martial arts coordinator for Episode 3, which was the first ever martial arts challenge on the show. Thanks to choreographer Jamal Sims and Chris Scott I also helped choreograph a piece for Miley Cyrus' upcoming tour where I was able to incorporate martial arts into her show.

In ten years my goal is to continue to create martial arts movements into dance as a coordinator and choreographer, become a successful stuntman and hopefully open my second gym.

Brielle Nikaido: What Asian or Asian American actors did you identify with growing up?

Travis Wong: Growing up there were too few Asian actors or actresses for me to really identify with. The industry offers limited rolls for Asian actors. I was definitely a fan of Ernie Reyes Jr. featured in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Surf Ninjas. He was a martial artist who is entertaining as well as legitimately skilled. With the exception of Reyes, martial artists and other mainstream actors and actresses who weren't Asian influenced me.

Brielle Nikaido: How will the Asian American presence on reality television dance shows influence Asian American opportunities in dance, acting, and other media fields?

Travis Wong: The growing presence of Asian Americans on reality television dance shows is helping to break the stereotypes often associated with abilities and talents that Asians were previously recognized for. While we have most often been associated for using our brains and academics, a growing number of successful Asian American dancers and crews prove that Asians can be a force to be reckoned with in the physical fields as well. In the first few seasons of America’s Best Dance Crew alone, most crowd favorites and champions were predominantly Asian American. Now commercials, advertisements, promos, feature these Asian American champions.

While the Asian American presence grows on reality television dance shows, it unfortunately won’t have much effect on some other industry opportunities, such as leading roles for Asian Americans. We don’t have enough roles written for Asian American actors which don’t include martial arts or some sort of stunt based activity. Some exceptions are some recent movies as The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, which one could argue just further advanced the stereotype of Asians and import cars and tuning.

There are still very few leading Asian American actors, especially when it comes to serious or dramatic roles. Actors like John Cho are given leading roles in comedies; however, I rarely see a leading Asian American man play a romantic or traditional hero role. I have seen more Asian Americans featured when the overall cast needs to look racially diverse.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued..

..from previous post...
    Travis_2Brielle Nikaido: How do you feel about Dell casting you because they thought you looked like Bruce Lee? Do you think casting agencies have hired you in the past to fulfill a token or racial quota?

Travis Wong: I don’t mind being cast because I resembled Bruce Lee at all. In fact, hopefully, one day I’ll be fortunate enough to play a role resembling him. I guess I’ve come to terms with the fact that the industry is highly based upon images and I attempt to represent as best as possible. Most group shots that try to show diversity usually consist of an all white cast and a few scattered minorities. The Dell commercial was one of the first shoots I had been on where I felt they tried to represent true diversity. The cast had two other Asian Americans, two African Americans, and two Latin Americans.

Brielle Nikaido: Has being multiethnic influenced your career?

Travis Wong: Being multiethnic has been a blessing at times, while at other times I'm sure it may have worked against me. In general though I feel blessed being able to relate with both Chinese and Japanese cultures and still go on auditions for both. Because of my multiethnic appearance I sometimes have an ambiguous look on camera. I have been cast as Latino, Hawaiian, and Filipino, in addition to Chinese and Japanese.

Brielle Nikaido: On week four of American’s Best Dance Crew Lil Mama made this comment to Leiomy Maldonada, a transgendered crew member of Vogue Evolution: "You were born a man and you are becoming a woman. If you're going to become a woman, act like a lady." What was your reaction to this?

Travis Wong: I was in the audience that week and you could tell there was an obvious feeling of tension and awkwardness in the studio. However, I don't have a judgment towards her comment because I know she was in the moment and was just making a comment about the video package displayed. I believe that they talked after she made the comment and have cleared up some differences. Beyond that, I'll just leave what happened between them and what was aired on television. I can say that Leiomy was a wonder to work with and I applaud her work in the dance community.

Brielle Nikaido: This season on America's Best Dance Crew, a number of dance crews are using the stage as a tool to promote social and political awareness. Vogue Evolution is the first openly gay crew. Their aim is "to educate others on AIDS/HIV awareness." Artistry in Motion is an all-female crew of self-proclaimed feminists "trying to break the stereotype of bootyshakers." What are your thoughts on this trend?

Travis Wong: This season of America’s Best Dance Crew received a lot of criticism from the fans and viewers who complained that it wasn’t as exciting as previous seasons. I think that this could be because the audience is not as aware of different styles that aren’t blatantly hip hop or breakdancing. With the success of previous crews, such as the Jabbawockeez, Super Cr3w, and Quest Crew, America became used to seeing these two styles performed skillfully. Because of their success, and the introduction of the new crews and new styles this season the audience does not know what to expect.

It is awesome how so many different crews this season are exposing their culture and new dance styles. AfroBorike has brought in partnering, Beat Ya Feet brought DC footwork to the forefront, and Southern Movement showed that hip hop doesn’t just exist in Los Angeles or New York.

Crews as Vogue Evolution show the world a style of dance up and coming in the underground scene and educate about their community and HIV/AIDS awareness. They take full advantage of having millions of viewers every week. I am proud of them and support their courage. They show through their dancing that they are a force to be reckoned with and aren’t looking for votes out of pity or sympathy.

It boggles my mind to see how Rhythm City from NY has scored in the bottom two in America’s Best Dance Crew several times, as they are what you would consider a traditional hip hop crew that combines elements of popping, locking, grooving, krumping and breaking. Seeing that they were in the bottom, however, shows how new emerging styles are getting noticed and actually making a difference.

Brielle Nikaido: How was working with Miley Cyrus dancers?

Travis Wong: I was brought in to help choreograph part of a number for Miley’s upcoming 2009 tour. It was an amazing opportunity and I am grateful to choreographer Jamal Sims, who worked on Step Up 3, for taking a chance on a weaponry idea and running with it. I must also thank Christopher Scott for helping me gain this opportunity. He was the one that gave Sims the idea to using my weaponry skills for one of Miley’s encore numbers. We combined his unique style of popping, with techniques from the whip chain which I competed with for years. Together we put together what I believe to be one of the first of it’s kind to her single “See You Again.” Fans will be able to see it in her upcoming tour which just kicked off...And I couldn’t be more excited.

Brielle Nikaido: What is the most valuable lesson you have learned in your career? What advice would you give to other aspiring dancers?

Travis_4Travis Wong: One that I hold true to my heart is to pursue your dreams. This doesn’t mean to just dream of being a great dancer, or of making it big in the industry one day, but to do everything in your power and means to better yourself, become better at your craft, and to become better known within the industry. I know tons of people who constantly train and go on auditions. The most successful ones I see are those who continue to take classes despite their skill level, practice at hours when most people are asleep, go to all auditions despite the pay, and are willing to take a risk, whether it be financially or just stepping out of their comfort zone.

I would also advise people to stay true to themselves and maintain their integrity. Never lower your morals or standards for a job because you think it will further your career. Another opportunity may come along soon where you wont be asked to compromise. You must market yourself as best as you can, but you need to be honest about your skills and your skill level.

Then you need to make solid connections and friendships. It is no secret that connections can make all the difference in the world. However, introducing yourself and exchanging business cards with every important person you meet won’t help you achieve your goals or help you advance. People will help those they consider to be truly worthy and who are not simply looking for a handout, only to turn their back on them down the road when they are in a position to possibly help. I am proud and fortunate to say that I love the opportunity to work with my friends, people that I don’t just see on auditions or on set, but those that I would call to spend time with. While I’m sure everyone has said it at some point in their career, I truly will not forget anyone that has helped me in any way along my path. If it takes me my entire life to return the favor, I will.

Travis Wong is a former nationally ranked forms and weapons competitor. His parents, Master Douglas L. Wong and Sifu Carrie Ogawa-Wong, are renowned marital artists who have trained a number of actors like Jason Scott Lee, Kevin Sorbo, Lucy Lawless, and Ryan Gosling. By fourteen, Wong was inducted into the “Inside Kung Fu: Hall of Fame.” Since then, he has used his martial arts background to further his parkour and freerunning skills.

Brielle Nikaido is an Associate Editor and Media Director at Conducive
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips