Thread: Are the Old Eight Palms the Same in all Bagua?

Red face Are the Old Eight Palms the Same in all Bagua?

I just curious : Are the old eight palms form the same in all styles of bagua? If they aren't what are the differences (in the forms, not the styles)? I study Jiang Rong Qiao's bagua , and I noticed that Liang style has an old eight, Cheng has an old eight, and Yin has an old eight, but I haven't seen all of them to know whether they all have the same set.
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 08-23-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Everybody's are different.

the old 8 palm or lao ba zhang

the 8 mother palm or ba mu zhang

the fixed posture 8 palms or di shi ba zhang

they are common for the most part with some variations.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    the old 8 palm or lao ba zhang

the 8 mother palm or ba mu zhang

the fixed posture 8 palms or di shi ba zhang

they are common for the most part with some variations.

--

Well... the Ding Shyr Ba Zhang (or 8 static positions held while walking the circle) are different from the Lau Ba Zhang (8 palm changes while walking the circle), at least in Liang Zhen Pu Bagua.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

One of my old teachers said that they were only 1 palm but towards the end of Qing many took the 8 (ba) part literally and then people started to add 7 more actual representations when in actuality the 1 (single palm) had many permutations. Again, my understanding based on what I thought I heard and understood!
    This is what I see:
    a. Single palm is the root, (whether left ot right)
    b. I notice that every style has its own 8 palm change but all have a root single change
    c. Although Yin style has its 8 palms it still relies on Shaolin root basics to give full understanding so it means that the others (non Yin style /changes) may be more experienced therefore needing less elementary changes. Not so today BUT...
    d. Modern baquazhang (baquaquan!) definately needs more basic/elementary dynamics to learning because so many lack the concepts to visualize and apply what we call real baquazhang.
    e. Just like liuhebafa does not employ 6 combinations/8 methods as literal shapes but concepts and principles relating to basic integration and progression of techniques/training.