Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: personal progress

personal progress

My business and personal life are quite challenging on a regular basis, and this is the life I have freely chosen for myself. Soooo,, every day or two or three, either one or both of these lives will go to hell in a handbasket for a goodly part of the day. Yesterday was one of those days....

What I noticed was that when the adrenalin started to flow, my normally relaxed shoulders relaxed even further...... that means that now when preparing to fight, my natural reaction is to relax.....

That is just so cool - you have no idea!!!! It seems like I've been a beginner forever....... maybe now I can move on.

And... my wife and I walk a coupla miles every morning and 6 miles on Saturday. I've been practicing Chi Walking for several years now. It's very hard in the beginning to get your eyes up to enemy level and just watch the street in front with the lower peripheral vision. Just lately it seems I naturally walk with my head up'n back and don't look down.
    .... Skip

Hi Skip,

When you feel the tension start to rise begin deep rhythmic abdominal breathing and focus your attention in your tan tien. You will find that helps significantly....or perhaps that is what you have already been doing.

deep breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Hi Skip,

When you feel the tension start to rise begin deep rhythmic abdominal breathing and focus your attention in your tan tien. You will find that helps significantly....or perhaps that is what you have already been doing.
    Hi Scott;

Thanks! Actually I have been doing my best to follow my instructor's lessons on deep abdominal breathing, and starting this past year to focus on the tan tien. You are correct, the mind leading the qi to build the qi there has been of immense help in making progress.

On the other hand, since it is mostly mental anyway, there is the problem as a beginner that the idea of relaxing when going to a fight seems all wrong... It took me a year or two to accept relaxed taiji really was a MA, and then I started making progress faster by envisioning the app while doing the movement. That then starts the whole process of the mind directing the qi, which means the beginner has to really accept that thinking the movement thru in front of it actually does increase it's effectiveness...

It has taken about a year for me to notice the acceptance of breathing naturally, rather than just when consciously trying to do so, but it may have started earlier and I didn't notice. But when I did notice, it seemed amazing at the time.

Thanks again!
    .... Skip

Hi Skipp,

Keep in mind that stress is created by our minds through our interpretation of events. Something is stressful because we make it is stressful. If you can calm your mind, and forgo conceptional though, while training or in what are commonly experienced as stressful situations, no stress occurs.

Another form of stress is created when we our desire is in conflict with events. Something as simple as stress while attempting to get to an appointment on time is created by our own mind when we insist on achieving the goal when events interfere with our goal. Other times stress occurs when others do not live up to our expectations for them. For example, when someone makes us angry, we had expectations of their behavior that were not met. the conflict between what we want and what we get is a cause of stress!

Stress is caused by projections of our own preconceived expectations/desires upon events, it is an insistence that life occur the way we want it too, when life has other plans.

Hi Skipp,

Keep in mind that stress is created by our minds through our interpretation of events. Something is stressful because we make it is stressful. If you can calm your mind, and forgo conceptional though, while training or in what are commonly experienced as stressful situations, no stress occurs.

Another form of stress is created when we our desire is in conflict with events. Something as simple as stress while attempting to get to an appointment on time is created by our own mind when we insist on achieving the goal when events interfere with our goal. Other times stress occurs when others do not live up to our expectations for them. For example, when someone makes us angry, we had expectations of their behavior that were not met. the conflict between what we want and what we get is a cause of stress!

Stress is caused by projections of our own preconceived expectations/desires upon events, it is an insistence that life occur the way we want it too, when life has other plans.
    So you're saying to live a stress free and happy life, I need to change how I see things; that I need to stop blaming people for my own stupidity; that I need to stop flying off the bat whenever someone diagrees with my obviously 'correct' point of views; that I have to stop talking sh!t about those guys to prove my inate superiority so I can feel better about myself; that I need to stop thinking that I'm the center of the universe and so on and on?!?!???

I'm.... I'm not ready for that kind of responsibility...

stress management

Hi Skipp,
    .......Stress is caused by projections of our own preconceived expectations/desires upon events, it is an insistence that life occur the way we want it too, when life has other plans.
    Hey Scott;

Thanks I appreciate it!

I do my best to control my negative/adrenalin reaction to it, which is one of the reasons I take taiji. On the other hand, every now and then a situation does come down to a for-real conflict. My normal reaction would be to actively seek to control my adrenalin response, because it's gonna come no matter what. In the early years it was mostly telling my self to relax, which happened sometimes and sometimes not. Then it became more of a zoning out and just letting go, even before working out a plan of action. Then I found that a calm attitude really helps me think when all hell breaks loose; just when I need it the most..

But now it seems I'm mostly there, just calm all the time; and then reacting to stress by calming even more. Still, there are times I just have to say something and then do; even tho I know I shouldn't... so I'm not completely there yet!

In the past I've had a few low-stress jobs and wound up quitting pretty soon. I guess I need that mental challenge even tho I don't win many of the conflicts, I just try to do better than break-even and survive I guess.
    .... Skip

correct views

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    So you're saying to live a stress free and happy life, I need to change how I see things; that I need to stop blaming people for my own stupidity; that I need to stop flying off the bat whenever someone diagrees with my obviously 'correct' point of views; that I have to stop talking sh!t about those guys to prove my inate superiority so I can feel better about myself; that I need to stop thinking that I'm the center of the universe and so on and on?!?!???

Hey DR;

Wish I could do all that, then I wouldn't need taiji anymore I guess...
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Hey DR;

Wish I could do all that, then I wouldn't need taiji anymore I guess...
    LOL! It's the effort we put in to better ourselves that helps define who we are, but we are in the end only human, so I guess it's best not to be too serious. On a serious note, taiji should only be look upon as one of the many tools you could use to develop "you".

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post

Hi dirtrat,

Well I was speaking about a stress free life, NOT a happy life. Many people prefer to experience the feelings of stress and conflict. There is nothing wrong with that. It is still possible to have those feelings and be happy.

I was addressing the processes that create stress within our own minds and a manner of overcoming that stress. When one wishes to reduce or eliminate stress it is best to identify the causes and eliminate them. Many people change their environment, and that is a productive manner of eliminating stress in many cases, however the source of stress is ALWAYS found within us.

There are two primary methods of eliminating stress. Change your environment, or change yourself. We cannot always change our environment, but we can always work on changing ourselves. Environmental changes are not permanent, that is, the stressors may re-occur, but once you change yourself, the change is permanent, if you choose for it to be so!

But blaming people for your own stupidity; flying off the bat whenever someone disagrees with your obviously 'correct' point of views; talking sh!t about those guys to prove your innate superiority so you can feel better about yourself; and thinking that you are the center of the universe and so on and on...

Is certainly one manner of choosing to live your life. If it is enjoyable, there is no reason to stop acting in these manners. On the other hand, if it is unpleasant, one does not need to think they are stuck with the negative consequence those actions may create.

In fact, one could actually perform all those behaviors while being detached from the ego commitment to them and still live a stress free life. Inherently it is attachment that causes the stress. Act without attachment stress does not occur, no matter what the action is, even if the action is acting like a jerk!

Hi Skip,

I found that a calm attitude really helps me think when all hell breaks loose; just when I need it the most..
    That is very true.

But now it seems I'm mostly there, just calm all the time; and then reacting to stress by calming even more. Still, there are times I just have to say something and then do; even tho I know I shouldn't... so I'm not completely there yet!
    It is possible to be amongst conflict or a stressful situation and be unaffected emotionally. It takes practice of course. Avoidance is one method of alleiviating stress, but I agree with you there are times when entering into conflict is necessary, but it is how we choose to perceive that conflict that determines whether we experience stress from it or not.

If we never enter into conflict our ability to be unaffected by it is never tested and honed.

In the past I've had a few low-stress jobs and wound up quitting pretty soon. I guess I need that mental challenge even tho I don't win many of the conflicts, I just try to do better than break-even and survive I guess.
    Trying or needing to win a conflict is a cause of stress, but inherently it isn't the action of conflict that creates the stress, it is the need to win, the attachment we have to our point of view and our ego attachment to winning our position.

If we train ourselves to enter into conflict while avoiding the emotional attachment to winning, there is less stress and eventually no stress.

If we change the manner in which we view conflict we change the manner in which it stresses or does not stress us. Think of it as trying to win without an emotional/ego commitment to winning. Winning becomes an objective goal, rather than a subjective goal.

In order to learn this we must enter into conflict to challenge us and hone our skill of conflicting without attachment to winning.

Think of it as learning "The Art of winning, without winning!"

Conflict is a part of life. It is inherent within the world system as illustrated by Yin-Yang; it is impossible to live without conflict.

It is how we interpret conflict that will determine the amount of stress we experience.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 08-28-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Yes! exactly....

If we train ourselves to enter into conflict while avoiding the emotional attachment to winning, there is less stress and eventually no stress.

If we change the manner in which we view conflict we change the manner in which it stresses or does not stress us. Think of it as trying to win without an emotional/ego commitment to winning. Winning becomes an objective goal, rather than a subjective goal.

In order to learn this we must enter into conflict to challenge us and hone our skill of conflicting without attachment to winning.

Think of it as learning "The Art of winning, without winning!"

Conflict is a part of life. It is inherent within the world system as illustrated by Yin-Yang; it is impossible to live without conflict.

It is how we interpret conflict that will determine the amount of stress we experience.
    Hey Scott;

Yes, this is it exactly... I have a hard time putting it into words, but the main #1 reason I take taiji is stress relief, and how to teach it to others.

Some 40 years ago I learned that in certain situations the adrenalin was gonna flow and there was nothing I could do about it. I had understood over the years that taiji mite help with that and always had an interest in checking it out. Once I started taking, that taiji class about 5 years ago, it became the most important part of my schedule, and I arranged everything else, personal and business around it.

So now that I can actually see and feel the change within me, I feel that I can move on to more progress, as yet not envisioned. It's hard to be excited about something new at my age, but very nice when it happens....

Now if actually faced with a life-or-death situation, could I really think when I needed it most??? I haven't got a clue... but I'm not afraid of it if it comes...

I took a 4 week session of push hands last year with Shi Yan Feng and barely survived it. But now I know the potential for power of taiji - after being tossed like I weighed nothing at all.

And you are exactly right, if I had maintained any necessity for winning over the years I would not have survived mentally. I just have to take what I do win and let the rest go.
    .... Skip

So now that I can actually see and feel the change within me, I feel that I can move on to more progress, as yet not envisioned. It's hard to be excited about something new at my age, but very nice when it happens....
    All changes that occur are neither internal nor external. How can change occur within a self that is itself always changing?

When the mind is in duality, it sees the body as being the "I" that is the self. Thus, mind identifies the age of ones being as the body. No body, no mind, no "I".

Now if actually faced with a life-or-death situation, could I really think when I needed it most??? I haven't got a clue... but I'm not afraid of it if it comes...
    The only true life or death situation is the one of realizing ones true self.

I took a 4 week session of push hands last year with Shi Yan Feng and barely survived it. But now I know the potential for power of taiji - after being tossed like I weighed nothing at all.
    The self, weightless and boundless.

And you are exactly right, if I had maintained any necessity for winning over the years I would not have survived mentally. I just have to take what I do win and let the rest go.
    Who is the "I" that wins? Investigate where the "I" that wins exists and you will discover there is no winning or losing because there is no mind with whom to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    When the mind is in duality, it sees the body as being the "I" that is the self. Thus, mind identifies the age of ones being as the body. No body, no mind, no "I".
    I would invite you to thoroughly investigate this state of pure non-differentiation directly by stepping in front of an oncoming tractor trailer...

The only true life or death situation is the one of realizing ones true self.
    and what is yours like? would you risk your life for it?

The self, weightless and boundless.
    digging around in the weeds, are we?

Who is the "I" that wins? Investigate where the "I" that wins exists and you will discover there is no winning or losing because there is no mind with whom to win or lose.
    fraudster! huckster! swindler! hornswoggler! go sell your snake oil somewhere else!
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 10-22-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I would invite you to thoroughly investigate this state of pure non-differentiation directly by stepping in front of an oncoming tractor trailer...
    It is the mind that feels the need to test itself.

and what is yours like? would you risk your life for it?
    This body will eventually die. There is nothing worth holding onto on the path of realizing the self, including ones life. What is a life of suffering worth living?

digging around in the weeds, are we?
    Whose digging?
    fraudster! huckster! swindler! hornswoggler! go sell your snake oil somewhere else!
    There is no "I" to whom value actually exists, so even snake oil is priceless.
    Last edited by Nexus; 10-23-2009 at 01:07 AM.

snake oil

Mercy! Well..... hmmmmmnnn...

Now that we have cleared that up once and for all, I guess I need to dig around and come up with something else personal to babble on about....

Personally, "I" can appreciate a little bit of progress finally after a long period floundering... there mite be a few other beginners out there that "feel" the same way.... And... yes I know that attachments are not good, even when the "attachment" is taiji.... the dao is balance in all things, etc., etc........

Still, if "I" didn't have feelings, then "I" wouldn't be a beginner, would I? And if so, how can I teach that to "new" beginners????? You mite think I'm not being appropriately serious here; but I am very serious about what I teach...

I guess even snake oil appeals to some...
    .... Skip

It is the mind that feels the need to test itself.
    even a Dragon tests its claws from time to time

This body will eventually die. There is nothing worth holding onto on the path of realizing the self, including ones life.
    can you say that with such equanimity with a loaded gun pointed at your head? (careful, don't pull the trigger by accident!)

What is a life of suffering worth living?
    at an exchange rate of one Buddha=one cockroach, that's easy to figure

Whose digging??
    who's asking? (careful now...)

"priceless" is of itself a concept of mind, so if there were no "I" for which value existed, then "pricelessness" as well would not

back to the cushion! come 'round in another 5 yeas and try again!