Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sammo Hung

Encounter of the Spooky Kind is one of the all-time greatest from the peak era of Hong Kong cinema. IMO, it's also the best movie that ever combined elements of horror and kung fu. IMO, the 1990 sequel was awful, but the original is a true classic, and far superior to anything today's mainland China film industry/'Chollywood' could ever dream of putting out, even with all their bigger budgets and CGI. They don't make 'em like that anymore, because they can't.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-27-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Breaks my heart to hear this...

Sammo Hung didn't have strength to carry his grandsons, daughter-in-law reveals in talk show

PHOTO: YouTube/VIU TV

LAM MIN LEE
    ASIAONE May 07, 2019

Many of us may remember him as a kung fu legend in Hong Kong films, but age has caught up with 'Big Brother' Sammo Hung.

Sammo, 67, was once so exhausted from directing and filming My Beloved Bodyguard in 2016, he didn't have the strength to carry his grandsons, his daughter-in-law Janet Chow recently said in a talk show.

In the show, the veteran actor also revealed that he broke his arm while filming Lucky Stars Go Places in 1986.

He got his injured limb set in a cast at the hospital, and promptly returned to the set to continue filming.

Talk about dedication to his work.

The actor devoted half his life to his work and put on many hats over the years -- producing, choreographing and directing over 200 films in his career. And while he's a hefty man, Sammo's been known as an agile martial artist.

But decades of filming action movies have taken their toll on his body.

On several occasions, Sammo was spotted using a wheelchair in public, especially after undergoing knee surgery two years ago.

The doting granddad was also seen out shopping for toys with his grandsons last August.

"He's able to walk, but it's more comfortable for him to sit in a wheelchair when going to places such as a shopping mall," Janet explained.

Now on a break from work, the sexagenarian is busy whipping up dishes for his loved ones at home.

Sammo said that he had been working on his culinary skills, and once considered becoming a chef if his acting career didn't work out.

lamminlee@asiaone.com
    THREADS
    Sammo Hung
    The Bodyguard
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kowloon Walled City

Sammo Hung, 69, Makes Acting Comeback In HK Movie, Says It’s Because He Has “No Money”

The martial arts legend will be showing off his moves in action thriller Kowloon Walled City.
    1.5-min read
    Ilsa Chan
    BY ILSA CHAN
    02 DEC 2021 18:00
    UPDATED 02 DEC 2021 17:00

Martial arts legend Sammo Hung is making his acting comeback after a four-year hiatus.

The 69-year-old, who has been mostly wheelchair-bound since undergoing knee surgery in 2017, is starring in action thriller Kowloon Walled City alongside Louis Koo, Richie Ren and Raymond Lam.

The lensing ceremony for the movie was held in Hongkong recently and Sammo made an appearance. According to reports, the actor looked healthy despite needing a cane to walk.

When asked why he decided to make a return to the big screen, he bellowed: “No money! The most important thing is the production team is willing to pay me!"

Jokes aside, the veteran actor said he wanted to be part of this project as films about Hongkong featuring a full Hongkong cast are rare these days.

Louis and Sammo
    He will also have the chance to show off his moves. Not only will Sammo have action scenes in the movie, he will also be facing off against Louis.

"It's a pity there are no bed scenes in this movie," he laughed.

Louis shared that the actors had to undergo training so they could perform their own stunts, and there was one scene so intense he had to shoot for five consecutive days.

The cast of Kowloon Wall City
    Set in 1980s Hongkong, the movie is about the rise and fall of a gangster (played by Louis) in the Kowloon Walled City.

The infamous slum, which was demolished in the mid '90s, is of great historical significance to Hongkong. It was called the "most densely populated place on earth" — 33,000 inhabitants lived in an area that's roughly the size of three and a half football fields — and has been described as a "labyrinth of lawlessness".

In order to recreate the walled city, the production company spared no expense in creating a replica of the enclave, right down to the props.

“All the magazines and TVs in the movie are from the 1980s. I used to have that kind of TV. It’s very nostalgic,” said Louis.

Photos: Sinchew
    threads
    Sammo-Hung
    Kowloon Walled City
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Congrats Sammo!

Feb 28, 2023 11:59pm PT
    Sammo Hung to Receive Lifetime Achievement Honor at Asian Film Awards – Global Bulletin

By Patrick Frater

Courtesy of Asian Film Awards

LAST MAN STANDING
    Martial arts veteran Sammo Hung is to be presented with a lifetime achievement honor at the upcoming Asian Film Awards. The ceremony is back as an in-person event after a two-year absence and shifts back to Hong Kong after previously being held in Hong Kong, Macau and Busan. Hung is expected to accept the award on Sunday March 12 at the Hong Kong Palace Museum.

“I’m so happy and surprised that I can still win awards these days, especially an award that affirms my entire performing career,” said Hung in a forwarded statement. He has a career as actor, action choreographer, director and producer that stretches some 60 years.

His acting credits include action comedies “Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog” and “Odd Couple” paranormal horror comedies “Encounters of the Spooky Kind” and “The Dead and the Deadly,” comedy film series “Lucky Stars” and gangster action film “Shanghai, Shanghai.”

In 1982, Hung won the best actor prize at the 2nd Hong Kong Film Awards for his directorial effort “Carry on Pickpocket.” More recently, he had major roles in two of the “Ip Man” franchise films and directed a short segment of portmanteau film “Septet.”

Sammo-Hung
    Asian-Film-Festivals-and-Awards
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So deserved

Mar 11, 2023 9:27pm PT
    Sammo Hung Receives Lifetime Achievement Honor at Asian Film Awards
    By Naman Ramachandran, Patrick Frater

Courtesy of Asian Film Awards

Martial arts veteran Sammo Hung was presented with a lifetime achievement honor at the Asian Film Awards.

The ceremony is back as an in-person event after a two-year absence and has shifted back to Hong Kong after previously being held in Hong Kong, Macau and Busan. A visibly emotional Hung accepted the award on Sunday at the Hong Kong Palace Museum.

Hung’s career as an actor, action choreographer, director and producer spans some 60 years.

His acting credits include action comedies “Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog” and “Odd Couple,” paranormal horror comedies “Encounters of the Spooky Kind” and “The Dead and the Deadly,” comedy film series “Lucky Stars” and gangster action film “Shanghai, Shanghai.” In 1982, Hung won the best actor prize at the second Hong Kong Film Awards for his directorial effort “Carry on Pickpocket,” as well as best action choreography for “The Prodigal Son,” which he also directed and starred in.

More recently, he had major roles in two of the “Ip Man” franchise films and a role in 2022 action thriller “Man on the Edge.”

Hung also directed a short segment of portmanteau film “Septet: The Story of Hong Kong” (2020). His segment harks back to the time he studied under Peking Opera master Yu Jim Yuen at a young age and was the “big brother”’ to the China Drama Academy’s performance troupe known as the Seven Little Fortunes, whose members included Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Yuen Qiu and Corey Yuen. Hung had previously starred in “Painted Faces” (1988), which was based on his time in the Seven Little Fortunes. The Sammo Hung Stunt Team has nurtured several film talents.

“Cinema’s existence is so wonderful. The biggest reward I’ve gotten in my 50-year career is to see my hard work affirmed by others,” Hung had said when the Asian Film Awards honor was announced.
    Asian-Film-Festivals-and-Awards
    Sammo-Hung
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Respect!

Hong Kong Martial Arts Legend Sammo Hung Recalls Casting Michelle Yeoh in Her First Role
    "Everything Michelle has she has made for herself,” the veteran actor and producer said in response to her history-making Oscar win.

BY MATHEW SCOTT
    MARCH 13, 2023 12:55AM

Michelle Yeoh, winner of the best actress in a leading role Oscar for ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' COURTESY OF RODIN ECKENROTH/GETTY IMAGES

Veteran Hong Kong martial arts director Sammo Hung first saw Michelle Yeoh in early 1984 when she arrived for a screen test with hopes of landing her very first role, a bit part in the action comedy The Owl vs. Bombo.

On Sunday night, Hung watched as Yeoh picked up an Oscar for her role as the universe-jumping housewife Evelyn Wang in Everything Everywhere All at Once — and he was part of the city that celebrated Yeoh’s win like she was one of their own.

“I’m very happy for her,” said Hung. “She had talent from the very beginning and we could all see that. We have never had many Chinese people standing on this [Oscars] stage. I hope this means there will be many more from now on.”

The Malaysia-born Yeoh turned to Hong Kong’s fabled film industry as her future as a 22-year-old. Injuries had curtailed her dreams of being a ballet dancer, and her training at London’s Royal Academy of Dance, and Yeoh had gone on to be voted Miss Malaysia in 1983. But she was looking for a career change.

On the advice of studio heads, Hung — who had already worked with Bruce Lee in the early 1970s and had helped craft the martial arts stylings of Jackie Chan, among others — was told to give the aspiring actress a chance.

“From the start, she was very easy to work with,” said Hung. “My boss just said here is a girl from Malaysia we want to work with. After that first role we just really wanted to see how far we could go with her. We thought immediately, ‘Why not see if she can become an action star?’”

The 71-year-old Hung — himself honored for his lifetime achievements Sunday night at the Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong — cast Yeoh in another small role, alongside Chan in 1985’s Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars. But in his role as a producer, he then gave her the lead in another action comedy, Yes, Madam, the very same year.

Thus, Yeoh’s future — and her fortune — was set on its path. Yes, Madam was among the first of the genre to cast female leads, and Yeoh threw herself into the challenge of playing a gun-toting inspector chasing down corrupt and often violent gangsters, later revealing she trained for eight hours a day, learning martial arts and sculpting her body to match the image of an action star. The film’s success spawned eight sequels.

“She always worked very hard, from the very beginning,” said Hung. “She’s also had luck and timing. She arrived when the Hong Kong film market was very good, and there were lots of opportunities. She worked hard and she used her talents. When the Hong Kong film industry wasn’t doing well, she found opportunities in America — so she took a chance. Everything Michelle has she has made for herself.”
    Sammo-Hung
    Michelle-Yeoh
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well said, Sammo!

Actor Sammo Hung unhappy with comments on Jackie Chan’s 'old' appearance
    By AGENCY ENTERTAINMENT
    Tuesday, 19 Mar 2024
    10:00 AM MYT

Sammo Hung (left) defended Jackie Chan, saying what matters is staying healthy as one ages. Photos: TVB Entertainment News/Facebook, Weibo

Hong Kong action star Sammo Hung has defended fellow artiste Jackie Chan after some netizens disparaged Chan’s appearance.

Recent photos of Chan, 69, sporting a head of white hair and white facial hair while attending an event in China, had gone viral on Chinese social media, with some commenting that he looked visibily aged.

“Who doesn’t get old? What matters is staying healthy as one ages,” Hung, 72, said while attending the annual dinner and awards presentation held by the Hong Kong Film Directors’ Guild on March 15.

“Why did these people speak so badly of him? They act as if they won’t get old.”

Hung appeared at the event with a walking stick and was accompanied by his wife, former Hong Kong actress Joyce Godenzi, 58.

The actor and stunt choreographer went for a knee operation in 2017 and has been seen using a wheelchair or walking stick.

“My wife does not allow me to eat too much,” he told the media about his diet. “I can still eat fatty food, but have to give up starch.”

Hung said he still feels pain in his legs and does not know whether he should exercise.

The God Of War (2017) actor was formerly one of the Seven Little Fortunes, a troupe comprising Hung, Chan, Corey Yuen, Yuen Wah and three others who went to a Peking Opera school. They later became action heavyweights in the Hong Kong film industry.

“I practised martial arts from the age of nine until I was in my 50s. Should I continue to exercise in my 70s?” he said. “The only exercise I do now is moving my lips to eat.” – The Straits Times/Asia News Network

Sammo-Hung
    Jackie-Chan-underestimated
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips