Thread: Busted TCM practitioners

Hybrid View

Slightly OT

It's a naturopath, not TCM, but relevant to this thread in some ways.

Florida naturopath facing charges after treating girl’s fatal leukemia with vitamins and vegan diet
    David Ferguson
    25 Feb 2015 at 16:08 ET

Brian Clement (Screen capture)

A controversial herbal “healer” and naturopath is under fire after the death of a teen girl he was treating for leukemia using a strict vegan diet and herbal supplements.

The Canadian Broadcasting Company reported on the death of the teen girl, who was from one of Ontario, Canada’s aboriginal First Nation tribes. Another teen girl from the same community is still in the care of Brian Clement, who Florida officials have ordered to stop practicing medicine and calling himself a doctor.

Clement operates the Hippocrates Institute, a spa-cum-clinic in Orlando, Florida where patients with serious diseases have been treated with what the state of Florida is calling “unproven and possibly dangerous therapies.”

Clement urges his patients to forego conventional medicine like chemotherapy in favor of veganism, supplements, juices and a raw diet.

Makayla Sault was 11 years old last July when she left chemotherapy in Hamilton, Ontario, to attend the Hippocrates Institute, which is licensed in Florida as a massage parlor. The girl died in January. The Ontario coroner’s office is investigating.

In the meantime, however, Clement has been ordered to cease and desist in calling himself a doctor — he is licensed only as a nutritionist, not a medical doctor — and to stop providing medical care to patients. The state issued their orders, along with a $3,738 fine, to Clement on Feb. 10. He was given 30 days to respond. He is facing possible felony charges of practicing medicine without a license.

Another girl is still under Clement’s care. The CBC identified her only as J.J., an 11-year-old, also from the First Nations. J.J.’s mother said that Clement assured her that if she took her daughter off of chemotherapy, that his clinic could cure her cancer and save her life.

J.J., she said, was treated at Hippocrates with laser therapy, IV vitamin supplements and a strict raw food diet.

Clement denies telling the woman that he could cure the girl’s cancer or that his clinic has ever made such claims. However, the institute faced charges in 1982 in Massachusetts, when Clement was based in Boston.

Massachusetts authorities charged Hippocrates and a related institute at least twice, said the National Post, for claiming to cure a wide variety of serious diseases with wheatgrass juice and other alternative treatments.

The state prosecutor in Massachusetts accused Clement of claiming his treatments could cure AIDS, serious burns, diabetes, cancer and other illnesses, as well as fraudulent claims by Clement that he had been honored by the Nobel Prize committee.

The Post said that Clement claims to have cured “thousands and thousands” of terminally ill people of their ailments.

A spokeswoman for Hippocrates said that state authorities are in the wrong and acting on hearsay.

“We deny these allegations in their entirety and will vigorously contest these allegations through the administrative process,” said Sachs Media Group PR rep Vicki Johnson to the Post.

The CBC investigated Clement’s credentials.

“Clement claims to have a doctorate of naturopathic medicine and a PhD in nutrition from the University of Science Arts and Technology (USAT), based in Montserrat,” said the CBC.

However, when they contacted USAT’s president Orien Tulp, he said, “Brian Clement, he is not a naturopathic doctor from USAT. I can guarantee that. He shouldn’t be making false claims for one. If he is, I’ll withdraw his degree.”

University of Illinois professor George Gollin — who has investigated USAT in the past — told CBC that the institution is “horrible.”

“I could have printed him a degree on a laser printer and it would be … just as indicative of training and skills. What I think is terrible is that he’s using this, as I understand it, to treat patients who are desperately sick children,” Gollin said.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This is exactly why I explain to people that you need to find a licensed health care practitioner rather than some unlicensed amateur who can harm you.

It is disgusting to hear that this guy has done this for years. Ripping people off of money and promising the moon to ill people.

This douchebag and others like him are the bane of health care.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

"This is exactly why I explain to people that you need to find a licensed health care practitioner rather than some unlicensed amateur who can harm you."

The thing is that people actually can not trust any medicine based on licensure. That's only about billing and suing. If people can not sue and gain the lawyer fees that's kinda moot.
    People only have judging for their selves and their results, the chance to get a second opinion and taking more self interest. Medicine is an industry in the us and all that "my parent, my god, who understands" is mostly American imagination. More people die at the hands of state licensed people than unlicensed and in this country that exceeded 250,000 a year....10 years ago.
    I'm not sticking up for charlatans, I just felt the need to point out that generalisation, no matter how appealing, isnt accurate and relying on it alone be just as or more disastrous. There is no gauranteed safety in the habitrail for poor pilgrims and the frauds or bad calls we do see are no real justification for anything but increased self vigilance and vesture.
    Ah
    Last edited by curenado; 03-03-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    "This is exactly why I explain to people that you need to find a licensed health care practitioner rather than some unlicensed amateur who can harm you."

The thing is that people actually can not trust any medicine based on licensure. That's only about billing and suing. If people can not sue and gain the lawyer fees that's kinda moot.
    People only have judging for their selves and their results, the chance to get a second opinion and taking more self interest. Medicine is an industry in the us and all that "my parent, my god, who understands" is mostly American imagination. More people die at the hands of state licensed people than unlicensed and in this country that exceeded 250,000 a year....10 years ago.
    I'm not sticking up for charlatans, I just felt the need to point out that generalisation, no matter how appealing, isnt accurate and relying on it alone be just as or more disastrous. There is no gauranteed safety in the habitrail for poor pilgrims and the frauds or bad calls we do see are no real justification for anything but increased self vigilance and vesture.
    Ah
    You said it! This is exactly what is happening. The most deaths in the US per year are caused by MD and the pharmaceutical industry (who I refer to as "cartels"). Think about all the commercials you hear on TV at the end of a drug ad- side effects may include--- diarrhea, insomnia, hair loss, stomach cancer, death, etc. Well, sorry, but those aren't the "side" effects- those are possible EFFECTS of the darn c-rap, period.
    People at large need to stop relying so much on the pharmaceutical industries. I have never been injected ONCE with a vaccine or needle (well, I have some ink but that's different) and I can count on one hand the number of times I have used a pharmaceutical medicine such as cough syrup or even a tylonel. Further, I was not born in a friggin' hospital. And I am stronger than most people- I have run a marathon, train martial arts, am a hard worker, stay as positive as can be about life. People need to wake up and stop being weak. But don't take my word for it, the following is a clip from the "Fire Your MD" radio show w/ Dr. Glidden- he raps off some good statistics in the first few minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIcW_sntIw

In the US it's gotten to the point where medical people get pretty divided on some issues that are pure industry or politics.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Xiao Hongchi

It's a disservice to call paida 'slapping' as that really denigrates the practice. Percussive techniques exist in many forms of massage.

At the same time, this therapist should have known that percussive massage is contraindicated for many ailments.

Australian police probe Sydney boy Aidan Fenton's death
    1 May 2015
    From the section
    Australia

The health centre said they had rented a room to Xiao Hongchi for a health seminar

Australian police are investigating a seven-year-old boy's death following his attendance at a "slapping workshop" by a visiting Chinese therapist.

Aidan Fenton from Sydney, who reportedly suffered from diabetes, was found unconscious at a hotel in a Sydney suburb on Monday.

He and his mother had attended Xiao Hongchi's workshop on alternative therapies at a health centre in Sydney.

Police are reportedly investigating whether he had stopped taking insulin.

What is slapping therapy?

Vigorously slapping various parts of the body to draw out from the body what practitioners believe are toxins
    Has significant following among Chinese communities
    Critics say it simply results in bruising

What happens at a slapping workshop?

Mr Xiao ran the
    workshop at the Pan Health Medical Centre
    in Hurstville, Sydney, from 22-28 April at a cost of AU$1,800 (£928, $1,420).

'Clear the meridians'

The therapist has been interviewed by police and has since left the country, the Sydney Morning Herald said. A spokeswoman for the New South Wales (NSW) police said this was standard procedure following any unexplained death.

NSW police told the BBC ambulance services were called to a hotel in Hurstville after a family member found the boy unconscious.

Traditional Chinese medicine, including cupping therapy (above). is seen as an alternative or a replacement for modern Western practices.

"Paramedics performed CPR on the boy, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, and an investigation into the boy's death is underway," NSW police said in a statement.

Tasly Healthpac Australia, the owner of Pan-Health Management Centre, said in a statement: "We are deeply saddened to learn the unexpected passing of this young boy... from the information that we have, the boy was not a patient of Pan-Health and had not been treated by any of our doctors.

Xiao Hongchi advocates repeated slapping to clear the blood of toxins

"Mr Xiao rented a room from our centre to conduct what was described to us as a series of health seminars. The boy and his mother were participants in the seminar."

Mr Xiao, a former investment banker, advocates the practise of paida lajin, a therapy which involved slapping and stretching the body to drive out toxins.

"The slapping and stretching work together to clear the meridians of blocks and help the body get rid of disease," he told The Hindu newspaper last month.

He said the practice, taught to him by a Taoist monk, had "cured" several medical conditions at his workshops, including diabetes and hypertension.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This is really a tough one - I've read a few different versions of the article but none actually states the child patient died as a result of the therapy or from injury sustained during the treatment. The child had juvenile onset diabetes and it is difficult to say whether his unfortunate death was due to the diabetes or the treatment. Maybe his parent's weren't getting him the proper treatment, which in that case, might be more fault on the parents than the practitioner.

If a patient with a history of heart disease dies while receiving acupuncture, was it the acupuncture or the heart disease at fault?

Just sayin'...

herb ox