Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted TCM practitioners

Busted TCM practitioners

This is in the same vein as our Busted Martial Artists thread. Actually, things have been pretty quiet here lately so I thought I'd post a few news items.

Cops: Acupuncture business owner causes ruckus at Scarsdale shop
    By Leslie Korngold • lkorngol@lohud.com • August 25, 2009

SCARSDALE - An agitated acupuncture business owner damaged a Dunkin' Donuts cash register and a Scarsdale police holding cell last night, police said.

Police said Damien Chang, 42, of Mahopac, the proprietor of Za Oh Pyung Acupuncture, 6 Depot Place, next door to the 10 Depot Place Dunkin' Donuts, was yelling at doughnut shop employees and throwing his arms in the air when police arrived, Lt. Bryant Clark said.

Chang had punched the store's cash register, breaking it, Clark said.

Outside, he gestured at police and made verbal threats, Clark said.

At the double trailer police are temporarily housed in, Chang kicked the holding cell door, causing major damage to it, Clark said.

Chang has been charged with second- and third-degree criminal mischief, felonies, and disorderly conduct, a violation.

Police do not know what caused the 10:19 p.m. blowup.

Clark said it took time to identify Chang in part due to a language barrier. Chang was being held at the Westchester County jail until his court appearance tomorrow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I knew there would be more...

...it was just a matter of time.

51 and 46. Cue the Grandma MMA thread.

Queens women face illegal massage charges in N. Massapequa
    October 27, 2009 By JOSEPH MALLIA joseph.mallia@newsday.com

Nassau police on Monday afternoon arrested two women on charges of giving illegal massages to undercover detectives at a North Massapequa salon, police said. Neither woman had a massage license as required by state law.

While massaging a detective who pretended to be a customer, one of the woman offered to have sex for money and was also charged with prostitution.

The women, ages 51 and 46, both of Flushing, gave the massages to the plainclothes detectives at Qigong Tuina/Acupressure, Acupuncture Bodywork, at 898A North Broadway. In addition to the single prostitution charge, both women were charged with unauthorized practice of a profession and possession of a forged instrument. No details about the forgery charges were provided in a Tuesday police report.

They were set for arraignment Tuesday in First District Court, Hempstead.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ... and possession of a forged instrument.
    Hmm... I wonder what that forged instrument was, exactly?

ox

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, these tui-na/acupuncture/massage places are popping up all over the place. I know of one "clinic" in my area that is known for their "happy endings."
    At first, since I am studying tui-na, I'm starting to notice these places more and more, and I was thinking,"Wow, there are an awful lot of people doing tui-na. I had no idea it was so popular."

I wonder if my health insurance covers a rub n' tug?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ok, these tui-na/acupuncture/massage places are popping up all over the place. I know of one "clinic" in my area that is known for their "happy endings."
    At first, since I am studying tui-na, I'm starting to notice these places more and more, and I was thinking,"Wow, there are an awful lot of people doing tui-na. I had no idea it was so popular."
    I wonder if my health insurance covers a rub n' tug?
    go ahead, take one for the team, Rik...

but yeah, my "brush" w/these places was one in my old neighborhood that advertised tuina and qigong - I was like, "Hmmm, storefront tuina and qigong in my neighborhood? what a bargain! But soft, let us see what reward Dame Fortune might bestow upon my inquires..."; needless to say, it was immediately obvious the nature of the beast (literally - the old bag was definitey one of the Lee sisters - you know, Ug, Beast & Home...)

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    When I was a young lad, I really used to think that people went to massage parlours for a massage!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yep-I told my daughters that they sold canes, wheelchairs and eyeglasses in the Adult Shop. Well, she was eight!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

By Leslie Korngold • lkorngol@lohud.com • August 25, 2009

SCARSDALE - An agitated acupuncture business owner damaged a Dunkin' Donuts cash register and a Scarsdale police holding cell last night, police said.

Police said Damien Chang, 42, of Mahopac, the proprietor of Za Oh Pyung Acupuncture, 6 Depot Place, next door to the 10 Depot Place Dunkin' Donuts, was yelling at doughnut shop employees and throwing his arms in the air when police arrived, Lt. Bryant Clark said.

Chang had punched the store's cash register, breaking it, Clark said.

Outside, he gestured at police and made verbal threats, Clark said.

At the double trailer police are temporarily housed in, Chang kicked the holding cell door, causing major damage to it, Clark said.

Chang has been charged with second- and third-degree criminal mischief, felonies, and disorderly conduct, a violation.

Police do not know what caused the 10:19 p.m. blowup.

Clark said it took time to identify Chang in part due to a language barrier. Chang was being held at the Westchester County jail until his court appearance tomorrow.
    i can almost swear i saw this on tv!!!! or something at least similar. pretty sure it was this story though!

That was the opening post on this thread, KTS

Here's a little more on that Massapequa massage.
    Prostitution Arrest in North Massapequa

The Narcotics/Vice Squad reports the arrests of two Queens women for prostitution and performing illegal massages in North Massapequa on Monday, Oct. 26 at 1:50 p.m.

According to detectives, Sioim Sun and Yonghua Huang, both of Flushing Queens, did perform massage therapy on an undercover detective inside of Qigong Tuina/Accupressure, Accupuncture Bodywork located at 898A North Broadway. Sun offered to perform a sexual act, for an additional fee, detectives added.

Sun and Huang, who are not licensed to practice massage therapy, were placed under arrest at 3:15 p.m. Both defendants are being charged with Unauthorized Practice of a Crime and Possession of a Forged Instrument 2nd Degree. Sun is additionally being charged with Prostitution. They were arraigned on Tuesday, Oct. 27 in First District Court, Hempstead.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Here's a little more on that Massapequa massage.
    it's interesting about the charge of "illegal massage"; the reason being is that most of these places actually do not advertise massage on their signs, they advertise "bodywork", which, technically, is not illegal in NY State - this is how all the non-licensed folks who do therapeutic hands-on work (such as Reiki, Zero Balancing, Trager, Alexander Technique, Feldenkreis, Rosen Method, BodyMind Centering, Reflexology, CranialSacral Therapy, Rolfing, etc.) are able to advertise but not get nailed on claiming that they do massage; of course, don't get me started in general on non-licensed people who offer treatment services to the general public (and I don't include TCMA teachers who go learn viable dit da in order to treat their own students, that's totally appropriate, IMPO)

Quote Originally Posted by KTS View Post
    i can almost swear i saw this on tv!!!! or something at least similar. pretty sure it was this story though!
    wow, that guy must have some serious kungfu!

damaging the holding cell door with a kick? those things are made to take punishment and NOT get damaged!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    it's interesting about the charge of "illegal massage"; the reason being is that most of these places actually do not advertise massage on their signs, they advertise "bodywork", which, technically, is not illegal in NY State - this is how all the non-licensed folks who do therapeutic hands-on work (such as Reiki, Zero Balancing, Trager, Alexander Technique, Feldenkreis, Rosen Method, BodyMind Centering, Reflexology, CranialSacral Therapy, Rolfing, etc.) are able to advertise but not get nailed on claiming that they do massage; of course, don't get me started in general on non-licensed people who offer treatment services to the general public (and I don't include TCMA teachers who go learn viable dit da in order to treat their own students, that's totally appropriate, IMPO)
    It comes down to professional regulation!
    The pair claimed to practice massage therapy but somehow offered to do 'other therapy/services' for additional money, which caused the illegal flag to be turned on. As long as protocol in the name of health/wellness has been followed, then the already certified others as Zero Balancing, Trager, Rolfing (they have their own certiication) are within the rules then all is fine.

Appropriatness is a better clue to legal or illegal therapy!

My wife runs a bodywork office

She's fully certified and doesn't advertise at all. Her business is strictly word-of-mouth and she's constantly dealing with rather obvious undercover cops trying to book appointments. They're pretty easy to figure out since all of her recommendations are chart-able. So it's troublesome both ways.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not quite a bust

Some regulations in Hanoi
    Monday ,Nov 09,2009, Posted at: 15:20(GMT+7)
    Government to keep tabs on Chinese medicine clinics

The Ministry of Health has ordered provincial health authorities to closely monitor traditional Chinese medicine clinics where Chinese nationals are employed, Pham Vu Khanh, head of the Traditional Medicine Department, said November 8.
    A traditional Chinese medicine clinic at an unidentified location with a board in front with the list of ailments the clinic purports to cure. The Government has begun to crack down on dubious practices by such clinics.

Health departments around the country have also been asked to monitor advertisements, medicine prices, and treatment at these clinics as well as issue of licenses for them, and their legal documents.

Many traditional Chinese medicine clinics operate in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and major provinces and often make claims in advertisements that they can cure many irremediable diseases.

They also reportedly sell medicines of unclear origins at very high prices and have Chinese nationals working there with false qualifications

There are 64 Chinese doctors known to authorities to be practicing at 54 clinics around the country. In Hanoi alone, there are 23.
    By Tr. Kien – Translated by Hoang Yen
    And too much heavy metal in some OTC med (at least it's not balsamic vinegar )

Recall of proprietary Chinese medicine with excessive heavy metal

Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Department of Health (DH) today (November 9) urged members of the public not to buy or use a proprietary Chinese medicine (pCm)named "XUE FU ZHU YU TANG" as it was found to have exceeded the heavy metal limit. The product, with batch number P040604, was manufactured in Taiwan and imported by Jin Ja Pharmaceutical Company Limited, a local pCM wholesaler. The appeal was made in view of the detection of levels of lead exceeding the maximum permitted in "XUE FU ZHU YU TANG"during the DH's surveillance exercise.

A spokesman for the department said chronic exposure to lead may lead to anaemia, joint and muscle pain, brain and kidney damage. The DH inspected the wholesaler this afternoon and instructed the wholesaler to recall the product from the market. Jin Ja Pharmaceutical Company Limited has set up a hotline 2332 5253 to answer public enquiries about the recall arrangement.

Members of the public can also contact the DH's hotline 2319 8600 during office hours. The spokesman urged members of the public who have used the product to stop taking it immediately and to seek advice from healthcare professionals if they feel unwell. Chinese medicine practitioners who have obtained the product from the wholesaler are advised to withhold the prescription and inform their patients accordingly.

They should submit the product to the wholesaler or the DH's Chinese Medicines Section on the second floor, Public Health Laboratory Centre, 382 Nam Cheong Street, Kowloon, during office hours.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

moldy drugs...

Maybe the mold was the drug...
    Thursday ,Dec 17,2009, Posted at: 14:00(GMT+7)
    Chinese medicine clinics fall foul of health department

Traditional Chinese medicine clinics in Hanoi have been found in breach of several health regulations, said Hanoi’s Department of Health.

Investigators carried out surprise inspections at several clinics on December 16 and discovered a host of violations.

Many Chinese doctors were working without permission from the Vietnamese Government and unlicensed practitioners were discovered working at clinics Truong Giang Trung Quoc, Hoa Viet and a branch of Chinese Medicine on Dai Co Viet Street.

In addition, the clinics were selling medicines at prices higher than health department regulations stipulate.

One clinic at 298 Nguyen Trai Street in district Thanh Xuan, was also found using moldy drugs.

There are 64 Chinese doctors known to authorities practicing at 54 clinics around the country. In Hanoi alone, there are 23 clinics.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips